Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

stupid CO detector

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

stupid CO detector

The incessant beeping is giving me a massive headache and I just want to nap.

5 Not allowed!

Re: stupid CO detector

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Perhaps there is a leak ?

0 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Perhaps there is a leak ?
    It was a supposed to be a joke

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Those things do that once in a while. Don’t worry about it and it’ll stop.

0 Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    LRRS #246 - Central Mass Powersports / Northeast Cycle / Woodcraft

If you really want to go over the edge add the Early Alert. It’ll sound it’s own alarm whenever it hears the smoke detector. Not sure how this is helpful but it’ll add to the excitement in the middle of the night.

0 Not allowed!

People when their smoke detector beeps for 2 weeks: "Why won't this useless piece of shit shut the fuck up?"

People when their TV remote batteries die: "Oh my god Karen where are the triple A's??? We're going to miss the AGT finale!"

3 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

They have a tendency to lose their batteries at 2am. Never fails to amaze me how inconsiderate it is of them. Another adult moment is to heed the clock change suggestion and just swap the damn batteries.

0 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Unplugging it and throwing it on a shelf "for later" isn't an acceptable approach. ... My bad.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    People when their smoke detector beeps for 2 weeks: "Why won't this useless piece of shit shut the fuck up?"

People when their TV remote batteries die: "Oh my god Karen where are the triple A's??? We're going to miss the AGT finale!"
    There's a certain point at which a product becomes TOO effective or a warning light/siren becomes too frequent, such as when a modern fire alarm goes off within a millisecond of something on the stove top starting to smoke, or when the oven door is opened, especially when it happens regularly on a routine.

When you have warning lights and sirens blaring in your face seemingly every time you do something, you begin to ignore them after a while. That is a major principle of modern design that is often overlooked. It is actually one of the contributing factors as to what lead up to the Chernobyl and Three Mile Island disasters.

I hate the ugly yellowish brown color of the smoke detectors in my house, but I am very ambivalent about replacing them because I'm afraid the modern ones are just going to go off all the time for something as insignificant as blowing out a candle or opening the wood stove. Some of them are WAY too sensitive.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 02-19-20 at 12:20 PM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Open wood stove door a little too early after opening the bypass damper, no alarm even with a house filled with smoke.

Look at the cooking stove while thinking about dinner, AH SHIT SOUND THE ALARM

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

if mine start beeping from low battery, I just take it down and pull the battery, if I have a 9v on hand, I replace it and put the detector back up. if not, I leave it down till I remember to get batteries

what I hate, and it most often happens when cooking, is first the nearest detector begins to alarm, but within a few seconds, everyone in the house is blaring, I supose a good thing to wake you up if there is a fire, but it takes a good 30 seconds waving a delorme atlas to clear the offending detector, meanwhile being subjected to what must be 140db

it's worse if I'm in the jacuzzi and the heat from that sets off the nearest alarm, I gotta jump out of the tub naked, find something to wave at the detector till it shuts off

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 02-19-20 at 02:23 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    There's a certain point at which a product becomes TOO effective or a warning light/siren becomes too frequent, such as when a modern fire alarm goes off within a millisecond of something on the stove top starting to smoke, or when the oven door is opened, especially when it happens regularly on a routine.

When you have warning lights and sirens blaring in your face seemingly every time you do something, you begin to ignore them after a while. That is a major principle of modern design that is often overlooked. It is actually one of the contributing factors as to what lead up to the Chernobyl and Three Mile Island disasters.

I hate the ugly yellowish brown color of the smoke detectors in my house, but I am very ambivalent about replacing them because I'm afraid the modern ones are just going to go off all the time for something as insignificant as blowing out a candle or opening the wood stove. Some of them are WAY too sensitive.
    Detectors are only good for 10yrs. If they’re browning, they’re guaranteed to be older.
    Additionally photoelectric detectors are now required within 10’ of both kitchen and bathroom areas to cut down on nuisance alarms.
    If you have a fire problem at your residence, you can rest assured your insurance company is going to inquire about the age/serviceability of your detectors. FWIW and shit. Proceed accordingly.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bought a new one the other day, has a 10yr batter built in, when it dies, you have to replace it.

So it lets me know when I'm showering too hot and steaming the doorway. But it would seem setting the ash bin ablaze the other day didn't bother it. It's a smart bastard, knew that fire was contained and not a problem. And can tell when I'm drying out my skin. It also talks, but didn't say anything about moisturizing, maybe that's an upgrade??

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Who ever thought that smoke detectors should talk to you should be flogged. Everybody has a smart phone. You think they would give you an app with a way set 2 levels of sensitivity for a detector. Let you open a screen and click Kitchen or Shower to give you 1/2 hour or so of reduced sensitivity for that area. Have a screen that shows you the actual time/date stamped event data so you don't have to run around the house in the dark trying to figure which of the little bastards is called the alarm. Nah. Let the dam thing talk to you and constantly go off on false triggers. Complete junk.

0 Not allowed!

Lol. Smoke detectors are regulated by the NFPA. "Comments" that would encourage changes to NFPA are only allowed every 3 years. Membership / approval of comments are largely controlled by existing companies that have special in the areas that are important to the specific areas of the code.

It took years to get "sight glass" water level detectors replaced with electronic detectors in water storage / heating tanks. Even though one required a person checking it manually and one would automatically turn off power, the existing one stood as the only "code approved" one for years.

"Modern" monitoring systems like those offered by Xfinity of SimplySafe don't comply with the requirements of NFPA either (I don't personally recommend either of those, just pointing out how slow these industries are to respond to technology).

0 Not allowed!

It's the speed of gov't. Sensible changes to actually protect people take forever (look at the FAA and NTSB).

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    It's the speed of gov't. Sensible changes to actually protect people take forever (look at the FAA and NTSB).
    The NFPA isn't a government agency.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My daily grind is designing control systems for water, wastewater and industrial applications so I frequently bump up against regulations that lag behind tech. I'm not a fanboy for the latest and greatest tech. The pace of change for monitoring needs to be weighed against safety, commonality of spare parts and training of techs for an installed base, etc. That said environmental detectors (gas detection) always seems to lag way behind.

We typically design multiple thresholds for any sensing device and alarm based on the observed condition over x period of time. Adding that capability to smoke detectors would add pennies to the product. I agree getting the review agencies to agree on a standard can take awhile but I'd advocate for it for the reasons stated above. People will ignore or fail to maintain alarm systems they feel put out nuisance alarms. That's setting people up to get hurt.

Sorry to take this off track.

0 Not allowed!

My old man served on their board of code proposals for years. It's not a hot topic.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I stand corrected.

0 Not allowed!