Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for places to live south

Suggestions for places to live south

Been thinking about relocating to FL or NC for a while now.
    I have visited Florida a few times (always in October or March) and I really like some of the things I saw and experienced. Yet there's not much to dislike when you are vacationing/racing somewhere.
    North Carolina I have only driven by but I have heard great things about it.
    I have about 12 vacation days in August I must use, so I was thinking of a trip between the two states to explore and spend some time there.
    I don't know if I'm cut off to live in either on the states. But my job allows me relocate to either one fairly easy so the biggest thing, employment, would be covered. However I'm not the only one in my family. My wife would have to find a new job, and my mom would have to find a relocation position with usps (neither FL not NC have many openings).
    Currently living in the Worcester/Holden MA line.
    What I love about where I am. Although I live in the city, I don't feel like I do at all.
    Theres never any traffic where I live. I am extremely close to major highways. I live in a quiet neighborhood (I'm by far the youngest person on my street as homeowner). its quiet and mostly retired households. Families and younger couples have began moving in the area he last 18 months (I like that). I can sit in my yard and although the highway is less than 1 minute away it's peaceful and quiet. I like the school option for future kids. I like how safe it is.

What I don't like:
    that the average house is 100 year olds, <2000 sq ft and asking prices are >300k. That's good consider I own a house but we still want to buy/build our dream home.
    MA tax is pretty ridiculous at this point. House, car, income, sales. It really is getting out hand. Thing that pissed me off is two years ago they started requesting street parking permits on our st. I can't even explain how unnecessary and stupid that is.
    Not a fan of the winter here (ok I won't complain about this year lol). I don't mind winter at all. But not for 4-6 months (sometimes). I don't mind snow either. But 100" snow fall in one year is bullshit (that should be illegal lol).
    We eventually want a bit more land and privacy. By law (unless grandfathered) lots in our current area must be 5000-10k sq ft. Nothing insane but we like to dream of having a back yard range or ability to ride dirt bikes and quads. A pool would be nice but I'd never get one or buy a house with one while living in New England. ARs and guns at 250%+ retail.

Things we dont care about at all: night-life. I don't care about night clubs or anything like that. We can easily be satisfied with a good sushi restaurant and a movie theater where gangs don't discuss their differences.

Areas that hat I really liked in FL: Palm Coast. Beautiful houses and affordable. Safe. Between Jacksonville and Daytona offers a lot as far jobs. Mostly retired people in the area I stayed. Not high on tourism. Quiet.
    Clearwater/Tarpon Springs. I wasn't that impressed but it was definitely a nice area. High Greek population (can be a good or bad thing).
    Deltona. Super quiet. Between Daytona and Orlando. Very cheap real estate. Good point to travel in any direction.

Things we really don't like: high crime, tornados, earthquackes, complete shit schools, high tourism areas.

Another thing is that my job "prefers" people who relocate when it comes to promotions so it would actually help my career a bit too to make the right move.

So I'm looking for areas to visit during my vaca with goal to explore if I can eventually live there.
    This really is an additional way of researching and educating ourselves. We may not wanna live there at all after we find out things. Maybe grass is NOT greener on the other side.
    Thank you all in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Suggestions for places to live south

Don't move to Miami.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Don't move to Miami.
    Not even a thought.

Sweet, do it!

How about Daytona Beach?

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

Wife's aunt and uncle live in Ocala. It's central Florida, aka real Florida people, not vacationers or tourists. It's "kinda close" to everything. An hour from both coasts, an hour from Disney and Daytona. There are beautiful move in ready homes with a garage and pool for sale in quiet neighborhoods for 140k.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't move to Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Not even a thought.
    The top 15 American cities for young college grads

Best US cities for young college graduates - Business Insider
    15. Miami, Florida

Population: 5,930,416
    College student population in the metro area: 445,865
    #4 Bars and Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post

15. Miami, Florida

#4 Bars and Restaurants
    ???

I lived in Palm Coast for a year....loved it but my best advice is to land the Job first. The rest is easy......to fill in

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I lived in Palm Coast for a year....loved it but my best advice is to land the Job first. The rest is easy......to fill in
    I should have made it clear. Only way I'd move is if I d get this promotion I'm going after in one of those locations.

I personally couldn't do FL. I've been to the Raleigh/New Durham area a few times and seriously considered relocating down there though.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Wife's aunt and uncle live in Ocala. It's central Florida, aka real Florida people, not vacationers or tourists. It's "kinda close" to everything. An hour from both coasts, an hour from Disney and Daytona. There are beautiful move in ready homes with a garage and pool for sale in quiet neighborhoods for 140k.
    I lived in Gainesville area for a number of years, just north of Ocala. I would say if I were to move back to Fla, I would have to be on or near the coast more, preferably the gulf side. The inland areas get hot, damn hot, Africa hot, and humid. The coast at least has the sea breeze to cool things down. But you have to find areas away from tourism and snow bird nests. My sister lives in Jacksonville, I find that city a concrete hole. I'd look into Naples personally, but that is pretty far south. Coastal panhandle is pretty decent too.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post

15. Miami, Florida

#4 Bars and Restaurants
    I lived there for 2 years. Its not.
    And what kind of fucking list is that? #1 San Francisco? Some of the most expensive cities in the country for a new college grad? Yeah, enjoy that!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'd look into Naples personally, but that is pretty far south. Coastal panhandle is pretty decent too.
    Naples to Marco Island...for the newly wed and nearly dead...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Moral of the story: everywhere has something that sucks

Make the best of where you are

Unless - kids (be somewhere safe with good schools) or money (don't move to coastal CA)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-06-17 at 08:34 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

Florida is great, especially if you don't mind the heat and humidity. Southern New England is a pretty terrible place to live. There is no way I would be here if I didn't like my job so much. About the only area I think may be worse is region from NYC down through the DC area. Too many people and too many restrictions.

I have my heart set on retiring to Costa Rica, but anywhere outside of the city from North Carolina down to southern Florida is probably my ideal spot in the lower 48 to live. Arizona and Colorado were amazing, but I always missed the beach.

Wasn't there just a thread about this?

Yes, Places to live down south

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Florida is great, especially if you don't mind the heat and humidity. Southern New England is a pretty terrible place to live. There is no way I would be here if I didn't like my job so much. About the only area I think may be worse is region from NYC down through the DC area. Too many people and too many restrictions.

I have my heart set on retiring to Costa Rica, but anywhere outside of the city from North Carolina down to southern Florida is probably my ideal spot in the lower 48 to live. Arizona and Colorado were amazing, but I always missed the beach.
    Yeah, we're looking into retiring somewhere tropical as well. We wanna spend most of the year in the sun & sand, then spend a couple summer months up north. We've visited 11 Caribbean Islands in the last 4 or 5 years looking for the ideal situation. We've got our eyes on a couple small houses in Stewartstown, NH where we'd like to spend summers. Right on the snowmobile/ATV trails so we can rent it the rest of the year...

Sorry, Sav. It's just the way these threads go...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

So you don't want to deal with weather related storms but you forgot to list hurricanes on that list, you realize Florida gets those fairly often.

Costa Rica and Panama are paradise, and I've heard a lot of good about Belize as well. Make sure you get out of the touristy areas. I stayed with a rural family for a week in CR. They spoke very little English and I spoke very little Spanish, but we had a great time and communicated pretty well through Google translate. By the end of the trip, I was taking Spanish lessons and the family I stayed with were helping me plan to buy land there. They even said they would hook me up with free cows, chickens, and pigs if I got a little farm set up. They said after buying a house and property, my family could live quite well on $1000 a month. They even had pretty good internet in the village via cell towers.

Outside of the village, the beaches were beautiful with no crowds, water was 80 degrees, food was basic but good, the flora, fauna, and volcanoes were breathtaking. I was in a pretty deep depression for a couple months after coming back to MA.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    So you don't want to deal with weather related storms but you forgot to list hurricanes on that list, you realize Florida gets those fairly often.
    Yeah I'd certainly like to avoid those. I'll deal with snow over waking up and not having a house any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yeah, we're looking into retiring somewhere tropical as well. We wanna spend most of the year in the sun & sand, then spend a couple summer months up north. We've visited 11 Caribbean Islands in the last 4 or 5 years looking for the ideal situation. We've got our eyes on a couple small houses in Stewartstown, NH where we'd like to spend summers. Right on the snowmobile/ATV trails so we can rent it the rest of the year...

Sorry, Sav. It's just the way these threads go...
    Lol no worries at all. I may get a new idea out of comments like this.
    It's funny because when i first moved to the states I thought I'd retire in Greece. And now I don't even consider that an option.

Hypertarded

Been thinking about relocating to FL or NC for a while now......
    Another thing is that my job "prefers" people who relocate when it comes to promotions so it would actually help my career a bit too to make the right move.

So I'm looking for areas to visit during my vaca with goal to explore if I can eventually live there.
    This really is an additional way of researching and educating ourselves. We may not wanna live there at all after we find out things. Maybe grass is NOT greener on the other side.
    Thank you all in advance.
    I should have made it clear. Only way I'd move is if I d get this promotion I'm going after in one of those locations.
    I've got no personal experience with either location, but this being the interwebs that's not gonna stop my commenting . Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, and I realize this is just research, but it seems your decision will be limited by your potential promotion and where the new job would be located. So right off the bat won't you be semi-limited to a specific location (+/-50 mile radius) in either state based on your office location or territory?? So NESRians throwing out random idea is kinda useless: i.e. You may find Goldsboro, NC might be a kick-ass place to live but if the new job is in Burlington, NC it won't matter...

My one BIG recommendation for you, based on one of your previous threads, verify your car insurance costs

Yeah I'd certainly like to avoid those. I'll deal with snow over waking up and not having a house any more.
    Id be willing to bet more houses get significantly damaged by snow every year than hurricanes in Florida.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Said it before in Clayton's thread and will say it again, Greenville, SC is the bomb. You should check it out.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    I've got no personal experience with either location, but this being the interwebs that's not gonna stop my commenting . Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, and I realize this is just research, but it seems your decision will be limited by your potential promotion and where the new job would be located. So right off the bat won't you be semi-limited to a specific location (+/-50 mile radius) in either state based on your office location or territory?? So NESRians throwing out random idea is kinda useless: i.e. You may find Goldsboro, NC might be a kick-ass place to live but if the new job is in Burlington, NC it won't matter...

My one BIG recommendation for you, based on one of your previous threads, verify your car insurance costs
    yes and no. my company offers several territories that usually are 50 miles radius or smaller. so I can apply to those that I wont.
    Thats why i expressed my interest in FL specifically around Palm Coast, Tampa, Orlando/Deltona. But I am also exploring and researching other areas as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Id be willing to bet more houses get significantly damaged by snow every year than hurricanes in Florida.
    i wouldnt know but it sounds possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast