Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sunday River versus Stowe

Lifer

Sunday River versus Stowe

Because I can't take anymore talk of Covid, Trump or humidity, thought I would look forward to next ski season. Unless there is an ongoing zombie apocalypse, I plan to rent a house for the month of February and "work" from there - initial thoughts were to do this out west but the logistics and the need to get home every now and then makes that impractical. It has been a few years since I skied in the east, and SR was always my go to. But for comparison sake thought I would throw Stowe in the mix. Both are about the same drive for me.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Sunday River versus Stowe

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Because I can't take anymore talk of Covid, Trump or humidity, thought I would look forward to next ski season. Unless there is an ongoing zombie apocalypse, I plan to rent a house for the month of February and "work" from there - initial thoughts were to do this out west but the logistics and the need to get home every now and then makes that impractical. It has been a few years since I skied in the east, and SR was always my go to. But for comparison sake thought I would throw Stowe in the mix. Both are about the same drive for me.....
    The Epic local pass is relatively short money (and a great vets discount) and includes Stowe for all but the holidays you want to avoid anyway... and a LOT more areas closer when you're back from your month up north. Snow, Okemo, Sunapee, Wildcat....I haven't been to Sunday river in two decades so I can't add anything on it but if you're going to be there for a month, your a short hop from Burlington which is much more happening than bumfuck Maine. Stowe also has the cool dichotomy of the long fast lift new side and the old school slow chair on the old mountain on the other side of the road. Go Stowe.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've only been to stowe once but frequent SR every year. More so now that GF has a place there. I do have to say I really dig SRs terrain and their mountain ops is really damn good. I have the Ikon base pass with my Killington beast pass so that works for me. However that brings up a third option. The Beast.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lived in both places SR for 2 years 1993-1995 , it was still just Les Otten, he hadn't created the American Ski Company yet. Both years good seasons with lots of snow . The only drawback I can think of was, a person spent a lot of the time traversing around the mountain to do the runs you wanted because of the six peaks and no where could you actually do a run utulizing the 2340 vertical feet . White heat is sweet though if your just skiing White Cap peak . I worked at the Grand Summit so that was my go to run .

After my stint at Sunday River, moved to Stowe fall of 1995 and lived in town there for 15 years before moving to a more rural town and commuting in.

Stowe is considered the ' Gold Town " of Vermont and is extremely expensive for Vermont. Tons of things to do in town besides skiing, which at the time was seriously lacking in Sunday River.

I get the feeling you are going to ski though , so if I had to pick one, Stowe would be my choice.

When you grab either the Gondola or Four Runner quad , you actually get the 2000 plus vertical feet of skiing each run, and there is excellant off-piste skiing if that is your thing .

My other reason would be variety of mountains in the area .

Mad River and Sugarbush to the South . Smugglers Notch and Jay Peak to the North, Bolton Valley is very close also if you want to do night skiing.

Stowe has a huge inventory of rentals within 10 miles of the lifts so with the Covid -19 I could see rental prices falling considerably for this years season .

So if you choose Stowe I can put you in touch with the right people for whatever you may need . ( I havent' forgotten that nice gift your parents gave my friends daughter )

So let's hope, wish and ask for 300 plus inch of snowfall come wintertime.

TIMMYDUCK

If you included off mountain activities, I'd probably go Stowe. As others have stated you have multiple mountains around that area with good off mountain entertainment. For skiing only, I would prefer Sunday River and you also have Sugarloaf in the vicinity (but I am biased in that direction).

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Lifer

Question - the website for the Epic Pass (which seems like the way to go for me at Stowe) doesn't explicitly say Stowe is included. However, it does say that holidays are excluded, which would imply that everything else is included. Anyone have an Epic Pass and can confirm Stowe is included and unlimited (except for holidays) before I apply? They don't answer the phone or email.

Sunday River versus Stowe-screen-shot-2020-10-14-a It's on the list

To despise diversity of thought means it's just a tiny step to despise diversity.

It says Priority access at these resorts. I had one before and it was unlimited. I don't know what this priority stuff means.

To despise diversity of thought means it's just a tiny step to despise diversity.

Stowe was bought by Vail a few years ago so it certainly will be on the Epic pass. Maybe looking in the wrong list?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

It was on the Epic local pass last year. But I’m boycotting: they don’t pass out wool blankets anymore.

What about Waitsfield, Queechee?

Last edited by Garandman; 10-15-20 at 04:37 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    It was on the Epic local pass last year. But I’m boycotting: they don’t pass out wool blankets anymore.

What about Waitsfield, Queechee?
    Dartmouth Skiway for life.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    If you included off mountain activities, I'd probably go Stowe. As others have stated you have multiple mountains around that area with good off mountain entertainment. For skiing only, I would prefer Sunday River and you also have Sugarloaf in the vicinity (but I am biased in that direction).
    Sugarloaf is a haul from Sunday River, 2 hrs + depending on conditions. But I’d pick Sugarloaf every day. Looks like Saddleback is finally reopening also.