Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Group surf lesson in RI

Group surf lesson in RI

I'm looking to arrange a group surf lesson in RI. Any recommendations? All first-timers

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Group surf lesson in RI

You spelled "fix my dirt bike" wrong.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I'm looking to arrange a group surf lesson in RI. Any recommendations? All first-timers
    Avoid warm winds in Narragansett. I'd suggest Symon who owns Elemental surf shop in Middletown. Or Dave Cropper at cinnamon rainbows in Hampton New Hampshire...but that's a ways from Rhode Island (equidistant for me, though!).

I don't know anything about warm winds beginner lessons, but I'm boycotting that shop ever since an employee there got pissed at me for giving an honest answer WHEN ASKED by a newb surfboard buyer/beginner if the 5'10 used potato chip (that the 20 or so year old employee was trying to sell him) was a good board to learn how to surf on, in December in Rhode Island when the beginner weighed around 200 pounds...screw that shop. The honest answer is that Kelly freakin Slater couldn't ride that board if he weighed 200 and was wearing a 6 mil wetsuit, nor would it be the board he'd choose in frigid water and New England waves even if he could ride it, but the employee said I was "interfering with his sale". (I didn't say anything like what I wrote about slater above, btw...when he asked me out of the blue, I paused and said something like, "if it was me, I might want something with a little less rocker and a little more foam to learn on")

You know, anyone cool enough to have a desire to learn to surf in New England in the winter should be helped out, given honest advice, and have some chance of succeeding...not ripped off and raked over the coals for a twenty dollar commission on a board no one else who knows anything would buy...I could've calmly told the sales punk the story about giving a man a fish or teaching him to fish, but instead I will just make sure I or anyone I know doesn't give that shop a cent for the next 20 years or so.

So Elemental surf shop in Middletown is probably your best bet...last I knew they had a box truck that would park right at 2nd Beach in Middletown, loaded with soft top beginner surfboards and advertising lessons. Symon hooked me up correctly when I was the newb; I bought my first board from him in 1999 and I still have it (a 10'0 G&S longboard...and I was catching waves the first day on it)

If you wanna stay in narragansett, go to Peter Pan instead of Warm Piss...last I know peter's shop was called 'gansett juice, but it's been a while. There's another highly respected guy in Newport named Syd but his shop names are always changing. Last I knew it was called Water Brothers

Last edited by Imbeek; 06-28-17 at 12:58 PM.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    If you wanna stay in narragansett, go to Peter Pan instead of Warm Piss...last I know peter's shop was called 'gansett juice, but it's been a while. There's another highly respected guy in Newport named Syd but his shop names are always changing. Last I knew it was called Water Brothers
    Peter Pan is the shit use the hang out with him way back in the WaterShed shop days

Surf Rentals Narragansett RI | Learn to Surf Rhode Island | Surf School Narragansett | How to Surf in RI |

I'm interested in jumping into this thread. A long time dream of mine to actually ride a wave for more than .5 seconds. Down on weight and doing burpees like a mofo. I think this could be the summer. I have been riding a OneWheel
    Which I hear is a great surfing balance tool.

I have only tried surfing once and it was at North Hampton Beach. The water was so warm that day you didn't need a suit. Crazy fun but DANG it was a lot of work. I'm in a lot better shape than I was then so... I'm in if you put something together.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day