Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Synthetic oil?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Synthetic oil?

I was at the garage for my yearly inspection a week ago and someone told me that I should use synthetic oil in my car: a little bit more expensive at once but will last for double the mileage as if I was using regular oil (I use the bulk shit they have at Jiffy Lube), so it would actually be cheaper in the long run as the price for one synthetic oil change is less than two regular oil change, and I have to admit I would enjoy not having to go as often for the oil change. Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

Re: Synthetic oil?

Read the manual that comes with the car, follow the recomendations from the manufacturer... More important then changing the oil every 3k miles is checking the oil level on a regular basis.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I'm not an engineer...but I think oil is the biggest scam going! There is a persistant school of thought that says your engine will last longer if you change your oil every 3000 miles and most of the people who talk up synthetic oil change their oil every 3000 miles anyway! Talk about drinking the cool-aid!

There are some very technical websites devoted to this discussion...full of experts...and no concensus!

So..since I'm first, here are my opinions!

• Synthetic oil does last longer. You can save money if you follow the actual recommendations and change your oil every 10,000 miles or so. (Watch everyone freek out over this...should be entertaining!
    • I believe that, unless you expect to keep your car for more than 200,000 miles you are just as well off using regular oil and changing it every 5k 60 7k miles. (I change mine every 5k simply because it's easier to remember. It's more often than needed!)
    • Ask yourself this...when was the last time you heard of someone ruining their motor because they didn't change their oil often enough?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Everybody to the limit!

It's. A. Fucking. Hyundai.

Generally you will get ripped off pretty bad for dropping the extra money on synthetic oil from the drive-through oil change places. They mark it up considerably.

There is no argument that synthetic oil is superior to normal dead dino juice. The argument lies in whether or not you can take advantage of its properties. IIRC, you have a relatively new Hyundai used as a daily commuter which means you will probably never stress regular oil in your car. If you run regular oil and change it every 5-6K miles, you will never have an issue and you will probably save money in the long run.

On a side note, I run synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my high milage car and got a small but noticable increase in my average fuel economy. It also starts much easier when it is extremely cold outside. I do my own oil changes every 10-12K miles and the oil still looks OK. The one issue with the full synthetics is it penetrates better than standard oil and as a result a very minute amount of oil weeps past my valve cover gaskets and makes the engine look a little dirty. I just degrease it once a year and leave it at that.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    It's. A. Fucking. Hyundai.
    So. Fuckin. What? You might be sold to some other high end "luxury" make, who gives a fuck really. I might not have paid over $30 000 for my car. It might not say "Volvo, Audi, BMW, Mercedes..." on it but doesn't mean I will not take good care of a car I bought for nearly $20 000 and that I will pay for the next 5-6 years. I do not intend to have it give up on me before I'm even done paying for it. I'm anal about my vehicles (bike, car, whatever) so maybe that's why my car might as well last longer than your snobbishcollegeboypieceofscrapmetaljunkofacar.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Conventional oils are really good these days. Unless the manufacturer requires synthetic, there is no need for it. Synthetics can actually do other damage anyway. Some gaskets and seals don't like synthetics.

Mike 37

Sonata V6. I wouldn't mind at all finding a good shop to do my oil change, instead of Jiffy Crap. The only thing I like about them anyway is that I don't have to take an apointment since I never know when I'll get a minute to go in and do it. I always feel they don't quite know what they're doing and have been thinking of going to one of my local garage. another thing is my car is used as a daily commuter, but I also do a LOT of highway with it. Most trips to Quebec are done with my car, not the SUV. In only one year that I owned it, I put about 25K miles on it (25 000), I think that's a lot and I will have to be more careful in the coming years to combine some errands together so I go out just a few times a week. I also have a heavy foot on the pedal, not sure if that can hurt in the long run...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Generally you will get ripped off pretty bad for dropping the extra money on synthetic oil from the drive-through oil change places. They mark it up considerably.

There is no argument that synthetic oil is superior to normal dead dino juice. The argument lies in whether or not you can take advantage of its properties. IIRC, you have a relatively new Hyundai used as a daily commuter which means you will probably never stress regular oil in your car. If you run regular oil and change it every 5-6K miles, you will never have an issue and you will probably save money in the long run.

On a side note, I run synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my high milage car and got a small but noticable increase in my average fuel economy. It also starts much easier when it is extremely cold outside. I do my own oil changes every 10-12K miles and the oil still looks OK. The one issue with the full synthetics is it penetrates better than standard oil and as a result a very minute amount of oil weeps past my valve cover gaskets and makes the engine look a little dirty. I just degrease it once a year and leave it at that.

Change the oil every 6k instead of every 3 with regular oil and save even MORE money.

That 3k rule is bunk.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I use Mobil 1

I change oil every 6 months regardless of mileage usually 8 or 9 K

OPened up a tercel once with 140K and everything looked brand new that the oil touched. Still tooling marks on cams etc.

NOTE I pretty much would not trust anybody in auto service to put in
    $4.00 a qt. instead of the $.65 used oil they buy in bulk. How many times can you refill a Mobil 1 bottle....WHew the world may never know.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Ask yourself this...when was the last time you heard of someone ruining their motor because they didn't change their oil often enough?
    I know someone that seized their motor from not changing their oil. they're too dumb to even drive a car, so I didnt feel bad for them.

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    I know someone that seized their motor from not changing their oil. they're too dumb to even drive a car, so I didnt feel bad for them.
    Yep...you gotta have oil in the engine so you gotta check it once in a while. And yeah, you can't run oil forever.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    So. Fuckin. What? You might be sold to some other high end "luxury" make, who gives a fuck really. I might not have paid over $30 000 for my car. It might not say "Volvo, Audi, BMW, Mercedes..." on it but doesn't mean I will not take good care of a car I bought for nearly $20 000 and that I will pay for the next 5-6 years. I do not intend to have it give up on me before I'm even done paying for it. I'm anal about my vehicles (bike, car, whatever) so maybe that's why my car might as well last longer than your snobbishcollegeboypieceofscrapmetaljunkofacar.

Ms. Twisties...has nothing to do with what kind of car byou drive. I had a Hyundai and it was great. And I think the Sonata is a pretty nice car! No need to get your panties all twisted up...the suggestion in this thread are surprisingly good! Common sense!

(..wow...first time I ever accused someone else of twisting their panties...its better to be the acuser than the acusee!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    Seen 1 or 2 people that this happened also...contaminated/dirty old oil, level too low and Bam. Car stopped on the side of the highway with fried motor.

I believe that, unless you expect to keep your car for more than 200,000 miles you are just as well off using regular oil and changing it every 5k 60 7k miles. (I change mine every 5k simply because it's easier to remember. It's more often than needed!)
    one more thing to back up DucDave's opinions. I have 270,000 miles on my tacoma, and i still use regular oil. it runs just as good as it did 10+ years ago

EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my sponsors: Motul, Michelin/STS, K&N, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D All Balls Racing, Galfer, Sidi Boots, Vortex

Yeah well...Toyota's engines apparently can't die...lol

I use conventional Q-state every 5k...

3k mile oil changes were the norm 30+ years ago. If you are using 40 year old oil in cardboard quart cans, change it every 3k. If you are using modern conventional oil (in those new-fangled plastic jug thingies), every 5-8k or 6 months (whatever comes first) is plenty often.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Who knows what is the right process...I'm going to stick with changing my oil and oil filter every 10,000 miles (using synthetic of course).

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Who knows what is the right process...
    I do. But I'm not likely to tell someone of your social stature.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

I change my oil.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The suggestions in this thread are pretty varied...seems there is many different opinions on the matter. I've always been on time changing the oil every 3000 miles or so and was afraid something bad would happen if I waited longer. Now you guys tell me it's no big deal. I guess next time I go a few hundred miles over I won't panic.

Yep...you gotta have oil in the engine so you gotta check it once in a while. And yeah, you can't run oil forever.
    Ms. Twisties...has nothing to do with what kind of car byou drive. I had a Hyundai and it was great. And I think the Sonata is a pretty nice car! No need to get your panties all twisted up...the suggestion in this thread are surprisingly good! Common sense!
    (..wow...first time I ever accused someone else of twisting their panties...its better to be the acuser than the acusee!)

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    In only one year that I owned it, I put about 25K miles on it (25 000), I think that's a lot and I will have to be more careful in the coming years to combine some errands together so I go out just a few times a week. I also have a heavy foot on the pedal, not sure if that can hurt in the long run...
    Heavy foot or long trips does not = severe or hard service, in fact quite opposite

the most severe service on an engine is heavy loads @ low rpms and short trips

low rpm = oil pump is not flowing as much oil
    short trips = engine doesn't get fully warmed to evaporate contaminates from the oil

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    low rpm = oil pump is not flowing as much oil
    Huh?

While this statement, technically, is true it has nothing to do with engine life.

If the engine is operating normally, the oil pump lubricates as it was designed to do at all RPM's. Oil pressure builds with engine speed because more oil is needed to lubricate the faster moving parts and not starve the bearings.

In the Audi I use full synthetic oil and change it at least every 5k miles.

The B5 A4 has a well known issue with engine sludge build up... and I feel that using synthetic helps with that issue.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916