Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Tacoma

Re: New Tacoma

I don't know if the V6 actually required premium but I personally wouldn't base a vehicle decision on solely that. Assuming $.50 a gallon difference, 12k miles per year@19mpg, that's $316 a year more to run premium. Sure its not zero and $300 is more for toys but when it comes to vehicles, that's a single data point of the overall ownership costs.

For example, tires averaged out by the year cost me in the $200/yr range but since you get stuck with the $800-1k bill every 3-5yrs its not on the radar like premium fuel where you are at the pump every week spending a few bucks a pop. I would guess the two winners cost wise is the V6 4x4 because of resale (if that matters to them) or 4cyl 4x2 for lowest cost to run.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ADA929 View Post
    I don't know if the V6 actually required premium but I personally wouldn't base a vehicle decision on solely that. Assuming $.50 a gallon difference, 12k miles per year@19mpg, that's $316 a year more to run premium. Sure its not zero and $300 is more for toys but when it comes to vehicles, that's a single data point of the overall ownership costs.

For example, tires averaged out by the year cost me in the $200/yr range but since you get stuck with the $800-1k bill every 3-5yrs its not on the radar like premium fuel where you are at the pump every week spending a few bucks a pop. I would guess the two winners cost wise is the V6 4x4 because of resale (if that matters to them) or 4cyl 4x2 for lowest cost to run.
    i agree...just something to consider and know when looking at gas mileage numbers...i guarantee whatever it recommends to use in the manual it will be fed 87 no matter what...sometimes you're better off since at the gas stations the premium fuel sometimes sits in the storage tank longer and doesn't see the turnover that the regular storage tank does

Last edited by Point37; 01-19-17 at 08:54 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

New Tacoma-jpg

I can't understand why anyone would be confused? (sarcasm)

Last edited by cdovego; 01-19-17 at 09:06 AM.
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Every modern fuel injected car has a "low octane mode" of sorts, which essentially just means the car pulls timing if it sees constant detonation. Any car that "requires" higher octane gas just means that to get the maximum power, it requires that higher octane gas. So if you go WOT in a car with 280HP that requires 91 and you're running 87, it'll make maybe 250HP due to the pulled timing.

Is it good to put 87 in a car that requires 91? Probably not, but I doubt if it's driven like an old person (i.e. at part or low throttle all the time), it'll make any difference.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    i know the V6 runs on premium fuel . How about the 4.
    not according to the gas cap. i havent seen anywhere on mine where it says 91+

i have a 16. its a DCSB SR5.
    i agree with clayton, get the 4x4 even if they never use it, the resale will be worth it. its just a knob now (i dont know when that changed). i have the V6 and have always run 87 in it. cap only says no E15. i get about 19-21 regular driving. 21-23 highway. composite bed is nice but slippery. if you dont want shit to slide around then tie it down. its like a really hard plastic. drag stuff over the tailgate top edge and it will leave a mark. if its abrasive it may scuff it. but they are right, it doesnt rust. the adjustable rail cleats are nice. back up camera is pretty good. storage in the bed sides is not waterproof. i thought i could keep my tie downs in there until i pulled them out and found them to be a frozen lump.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 01-19-17 at 09:31 AM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

My dad picked up a stall mat at Tractor Supply to keep in the bed of his 08 Tacoma. Works great for preventing the slippy slide.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    should be noted that 16+ is the all new 3.5L v6 mated to a new 6 speed

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    should be noted that 16+ is the all new 3.5L v6 mated to a new 6 speed
    The new V-6 is an Atkinson-cycle design - which pretty much means that it has some "wasted compression stroke" - (the intake valves stay open upon the beginning of the compression stroke). Reports indicate only modest mileage improvement, and that the new engine is revvy-er, than the older V-6. I read somewhere that the older V-6 feels torque-ier at lower RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Every modern fuel injected car has a "low octane mode" of sorts, which essentially just means the car pulls timing if it sees constant detonation. Any car that "requires" higher octane gas just means that to get the maximum power, it requires that higher octane gas. So if you go WOT in a car with 280HP that requires 91 and you're running 87, it'll make maybe 250HP due to the pulled timing.
    We had a Nissan 3.5 V6 that gave peak power ratings for both. The difference was only 5hp. I suspect the difference would be a lot more for turbocharged engines.

For our Subaru 3.0 [H6] the manual said Premium was "Recommended." I called SOA and asked them exactly what that meant, and they said, "If it doesn't run well on Regular, use Premium." As a practical matter I only buy 93 when we have to tow the boat.

If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    The new V-6 is an Atkinson-cycle design - which pretty much means that it has some "wasted compression stroke" - (the intake valves stay open upon the beginning of the compression stroke). Reports indicate only modest mileage improvement, and that the new engine is revvy-er, than the older V-6. I read somewhere that the older V-6 feels torque-ier at lower RPM.
    id agree with that. this is my first Taco so i cant really compare the 2 though

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Atkinson-cycle is based on the cylinder being off axis so the power stroke gets more leverage I thought. Miller-cycle is when you hold the intakes open longer and rely on external boost to easy portion of compressing in a charge to lower pumping losses. I thought, now I've got to go re-research dang it.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Atkinson-cycle is based on the cylinder being off axis so the power stroke gets more leverage I thought. Miller-cycle is when you hold the intakes open longer and rely on external boost to easy portion of compressing in a charge to lower pumping losses. I thought, now I've got to go re-research dang it.
    It is a Miller-cycle engine. I don't know why they keep calling engines like this Atkinson-cycle since there are no linkages to create different stroke lengths. I know efficiency can be improved with them but not overall power. I would imagine with variable valve timing they could shift between Miller and Otto cycles depending on engine loading.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

After doing some reading, it may be that some companies are calling their Miller-cycle engines an Atkinson if it's normally aspirated.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I can tell when a friend borrows my truck then cheaps out on the gas.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Lifer

The bottom line for me was that it was not enough of a change to justify upgrading my '13 V-6 Taco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Whatever they choose to call it, the goal is increased volumetric efficiency. A full cylinder charge is "more full".

i just poked around to build one.
    i can build a TRD off road, DCSB. i try to add the JBL audio upgrade package but i can only get the truck in black. BUT, if i go up one more upgrade package that includes the JBL but add the tonneau cover...i can get any color i want

Makes no god damn sense. How Toyota can make such good vehicles that are so hard to buy/configure the way you want them.

And for the love of god, MAKE A GREEN TACOMA.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

At work we have a few reg cab tacomas with the 4 cyl...

I know Im a horsepower junkie, but it must have been the most underpowered vehicle I have driven in a long time.

I pulled onto a main road, and it was uphill, and with it matted, it struggled to get up to 60, I mean STRUGGLED

+1

The 4 banger will last forever, but get shitty MPG while being a complete turd.

They are great off-road in new england, but not on road most anywhere. Just not enough squirt for a modern vehicle.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    +1

The 4 banger will last forever, but get shitty MPG while being a complete turd.

They are great off-road in new england, but not on road most anywhere. Just not enough squirt for a modern vehicle.
    I can't imagine you would get good mileage flooring it every where you went

That's probably why there is a 1 or 2 mpg difference in rating between the 4 and the 6.

I drove a 4cyl Tacoma for a year. It did fine, even towed to Monticello and back with 2 bikes, but I was rowing that stick as hard as I could. The V6 is just a no brainer.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Reminds me of a top gear episode where they sent a Prius out on a track to run wide open, and they had an M3 pace it the whole way, and at the end they said, "See! An M3 gets better gas mileage than a Prius!!!!"

Lifer

I traded my '11 4-cyl std in for a '13 6-cyl auto (green!). I agree with the previous posts. The V-6 is barely enough for towing 2 4x4 ATV's. I was seriously considering their supercharger kit for a while.
    Other than power, I have owned a Ranger, a Dakota, and an S-10. The Taco has been much more reliable than the others - so far - and that is the single most important thing to me.

Forrest green. Brown saddle leather interior. Even a tad bit of wood trim. That would be nice.

Going to be so happy when the current interior styling of "METAL, shiny cold metal, everywhere your greasy smudging hands touch!" is gone for most major truck manufacturers.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast