Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk me out of buying older Acura TL 6spd

Talk me out of buying older Acura TL 6spd

I sold my 2015 WRX the other night and my wife quickly pointed out that now we only have one car. To be fair the process of selling my car accelerated pretty damn quick. Luckily my in-laws are vacation next week so we grabbed one of their cars.

The original plan was to buy my wife a car for 5 mile round trip commute, something around $15k and bank the rest of the WRX $$. I'll take my 2010 Mazda6s GT w/93k miles back from my wife and use that for my 24 mile round trip commute.

Quickly we are realizing two things, we have no idea what we want for a second car and that most cars in that price range are not in their advertised condition. The other day I remembered my co-worker has a 2005(?) Acura TL, 6spd, 123k miles for sale for $5k that he is not driving since inheriting A Subaru Outbak 3.6r. The 6sped Acura TL's are kind of neat since they come with a limited slip differential and Brembo brakes.
    I now he took good care of the TL, he bought it at Herb Connolly Acura as a certified pre-owned, I was actually with him when he bought and car was spotless when he bought.

My wife is paranoid because of the age and mileage the Acura with "bleed" us on repairs, I personally think it well be fine especially considering our short commutes and would prefer not to rush out buy something more expensive until we agree on what to buy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Talk me out of buying older Acura TL 6spd

Dont do it

But seriously.... sounds like a decent car for a decent price

I don't have a ton to add, but my parents had 2 Acuras when I was growing up, a Legend and a TL. Both were great cars and very reliable. Sounds like the TL is good deal to me and would be fun to drive. Good luck!

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

It's a honda! Do it! A friend has one and she loves it. Never an issue except maintenance related stuff. They are a pretty sharp car too!

My company car is a 07 Acura TL, it just hit 180k miles a few weeks ago. It's been all over the country, definitely doesn't look and ride like it has that kind of mileage, but it's always been well maintained on the company dime. I believe mine is the 5 speed, but it's spacious and comfortable.

My only complaints with it are the gas mileage and the range. On a long highway trip I can squeeze out high 20s mpg, but every day commuting/mixed driving I only get 19-20 - and it requires premium octane, so it's the equivalent fuel cost of a car with regular getting only 15-16 mpg. I don't know the exact specs, but when the gas light comes on, I'll end up putting about 13 gallons in it - so at 20 mpg, that's only ~260 miles between fillups.

Lifer

123k is not concerning mileage at all to me. Drivetrains are usually good for 200k+ these days unless that particular set up has a known shortcoming. It'll eventually need the usual suspension parts but what car doesn't? That era Acura doesn't seem to suffer from much body rot. So the only big age factor is that rubber and plastic parts are probably starting to deteriorate. That kinda stuff can get a little annoying, but you drive 5 miles and you'll save $$$.

If buying a used car, it's nice to know who the owner is. You know it isn't bullshit why the car is being sold, know they were on top of the basics etc. If that car fits your wants, I'd do it.

nedirtriders.com

Is that a timing belt car? I can't remember.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Is that a timing belt car? I can't remember.
    Yes, it has a timing belt. Timing belt was just replaced.

Clutch feels ok? That's a decent car at a decent price if it is. Should be solid for quite a while if it only gets 25 miles/week for the rest of its life.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

After looking at asking prices, 5k seems to me a bit of a premium.

We had three company Honda Accord V6's including one 05 and sold them at 202,000 and 210,000 miles running well. Their weakness was the auto trans - not applicable. A friend of mine who commutes Marblehead<->Cambridge and had horrible service problems with two Audis bought this exact car and put well over 100K on it without issue.

Check for corrosion in the front suspension towers, and expensive fix DAMHITK. On a launch on a wet road they well merrily spin the drive wheels and you are always fighting understeer when driven hard. But when drive moderately they are well behaved. If he's replaced the clutch that would be a bonus: I suspect that would be expensive.

They have at best inoffensive styling but all the bits and pieces hold up remarkably well. Many manual shift cars sell at a discount these days but we sold our 2003 and 2005 V6 Accords with the miles mentioned for $2,500 and $3,000, so $5,000 doesn't sound too bad.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Honda had issues with automatic transmission failures (some covered by recall) in their Accords, Odyssey, and TL, through model year 2005. 2006+ TL and 2007+ TL-S should be OK, I believe those models switched to the Acura RL transmission. Manual transmission would be fine, assuming the clutch is in good shape.

Last edited by audiojeff; 05-13-17 at 02:15 PM.

Looking at CL and taking into the consideration the miles, condition I thought $5k was appropriate.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

As a long time Honda owner, 120k on one of their cars is like 50k on any other car.

I wouldn't hesitate especially since you know the previous owner took care of it...

As for price. If i can get $6,500 from an insurance company for a 10 year old Honda civic with 210k miles on it, i'd say that's a good price for the Acura.

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 05-14-17 at 01:27 AM.

I can offer some advise on this, seemings how last week I spent a few days replacing the gas tank in an 03 tl-s. If the gas tank is rusty it's a nightmare to replace, the whole rear subframe needs to be removed and the tank is actually strapped to the top of the subframe. I'd also check out the fuel and brake lines good and there's a couple spots on the front subframe that a common to rot out. As long as the undercarriage isn't rusting out (like everything in New England) they are great cars and very few came with a manual trans so that's a huge bonus.

I bought my '05 new, with the automatic, and put about 165k on it. I took very good care of it since I depended on it for long road trips. I loved it.

One area was troublesome - the rear calipers. I had to do brakes at least three times - my mechanic said that the rear calipers tended to collect water and would seize up, accelerating wear on the pads and rotors.

One oddity was the bluetooth transceiver, which crapped out at about 130k. When it failed it stayed on contstantly and drained the battery. I just unplugged it and replaced it with a Motorola gizmo that clipped on to the visor.

One of the half-shafts let go at about 150k, but I considered that normal wear.

I replaced it with a new V6 Accord.

Despite my better judgement the TL came home today.
    Clay bar, Meguiars no.7 polish, Meguiars ultimate show car liquid wax. Still a bunch of detailing to be done, but it's a start.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Shahp. GLWB.

Sweet car! It looks great.... I would've paid 5 grand for that all day long!

Last edited by bstnsboy; 05-21-17 at 12:56 PM.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Nice, gl

Same colors as mine - Redondo red IIRC. Agreed - trey shaaap.

VTEC Yo!

That is in great condition for an 05!

So the time has come to decide whether to save it or sell it.......
    When buying used car I always plan on putting in $2k for maintenance and repairs within a few months after a purchase. I have replaced the rear brakes, put front brake pads in, bought four cheap tires (Amazon $38 delivered), aligned it and the big expense $690 to replace the A/C compressor. Unfortunately the struts should be replaced, when pace picks up on back roads it starts to float a little. Local shop quoted me $900 to r+r all r corners and align it. The biggest issue is rust is starting on the rear quarters. If I replace the struts and fix the rust I will be into the TL for pretty good $$$$. So should save it and fix the rust or cut my losses?

Last edited by duganc1717; 09-07-17 at 05:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast