Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

lets talk dash cams

Re: lets talk dash cams

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post

One benfit of the 2 ch system is it will record voice in the car so at least you will get a verbal record of an altercation if one arises

Might want to research audio recording consent laws in MA before doing this.

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Might want to research audio recording consent laws in MA before doing this.
    i've been looking into this a lot and from what I can gather as long as it's not "secret recording" of someone then it's not illegal.

as long as I post it for them to read and/or inform them they're being audio recorded then it's not illegal unless they ask me to stop and I continue.

I have my contour in my car right now but haven't recording anyone yet since I haven't had an issue. my plan is to turn it on only if I need it (i.e a belligerent person throwing up ect ect) and inform the people while its recording that i just turned on a video camera for your and my protection. this way the video begins with me telling them this so they can't say I never informed them.

I'm hoping the interior camera for the new system Blackvue is working on will have a feature where I can turn on and off the interior camera. there is another product on the market that is just a 3ch recording box (Cameras are separate)and the interior channel has a remote to turn it on and off so if the Blackvue one doesn't work appropriately i'll re-think my strategy.

Over the month and a half I've made about 200 rides and I haven't had even an inclining of issues from anyone. 80% are pleasant and chat me up the other 20% are quiet and polite. I've had a couple really drunk people but I also carry these puke bags and pass them out to people when they get in hammered. they love it and laugh it up

Travel Johns

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scubasteveRR; 01-19-16 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    This is the one I was looking at Deg's. I was thinking this unit and then a separate single system for the rear, but I'd rather have it all in one product.

The 3 channel one Blackvue is working on will incorporate the two externals and this internal IR camera. now I just have to wait for them to release it.

0 Not allowed!

Dic on

Got my Blackvue dr750lw installed last weekend by an NESR member who obviously knows his stuff. I paid a tad over $100 for installation and I thought lt that was very fair for the great work done.
    The camera functions perfectly. It comes on when I drive the car a few feet and quietly alerts me with a siri-like "parking mode disabled". Then the display comes on and shows front view with rear view in picture top right of the screen. When I go over a pothole it sometimes goes into "event mode" and saves a protected minute of recording (asumes it was an accident). I need to turn the sensitivity down. When parked,the screen goes blank and parking mode is entered (same voice notification). If wither camera detect movement, they both come on and record for a minute or two. Sensitivity is adjustable on each camera. In case the camera is constantly on (busy street etc) there is a built in feature than monitors battery voltage and switches the parking mode off when it reaches a set point (12.2vdc is my setting) or after a set time (12 hours for me).

Ill.post up some.pics of the cameras installed and when I download some video I'll post some here so you can see quality. The unit has WiFi so I can download recorded files to my phone, but not view live footage remotely.

More to come.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 02-12-16 at 08:35 PM.
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Dic on

Jesus. Posted from phone and lots of typos above. Deal with it. Lol.

0 Not allowed!

OXX

looking for an update on this one... haven't really Ubered all summer but going to get back into it to make extra cash this winter since i'll have more time off.

how this been working for you Degs?

0 Not allowed!

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    looking for an update on this one... haven't really Ubered all summer but going to get back into it to make extra cash this winter since i'll have more time off.

how this been working for you Degs?

Not well, I'm afraid, Steve.

The main unit (front camera) broke on me. After about 3 months of use it started glitching like it was buffering. It had power on/off issues etc. I think the main chip in the front unit on the 750s is susceptible to heat behind the windshield.

I plan on getting the 650 next (it doesn't have a touchscreen). They now have cloud backup and IP enabled on the 650 so you can use your phone to check on your car from anywhere. In addition, they have a 650 dual camera unit with infra red interior camera. That would be idea for you. Its on sale in the dashcam store today for cyber Monday at $399. That would be ideal for you. its not cheap, but its the best out there in my opinion.

1 Not allowed!

OXX

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Curretnly in the market for one.... Head is on aswivel for all the diferent types.

Requests: $150 or less, ability to record while car is off ( for say being pulled over or such and ease of turning it on?) somewhat discreet with a minimal screen, dont need 2 channel. good to above recording day and night, dont need GPS ( or do you think I should, could be selfimplicating, right?)

this caught my eye.....Rexing V1

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

BlackVue is the shit. Buy once cry once.

0 Not allowed!

I've been looking lately as well. My only other stipulation is motion activated park mode. Been some break-ins around the 'hood lately. Be nice to get a pic of the perps. But other than the motion sensing, the Rexing was high on my list.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

BlackVue is the shit. Buy once cry once.
    don't you ever think frugally

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    don't you ever think frugally
    Yes, I'm actually exceedingly cheap when it comes to a lot of stuff.

I tried a cheap dash cam and it was a disaster. I need clarity and reliability in one otherwise it's of zero use for me. The BlackVue has worked out awesome so far, and made it through the summer and thousands of miles of absolute pounding around Boston.

0 Not allowed!

Bump. The BlackVue has recorded over 3TB so far and I'm still happy with it.

2 Not allowed!

Looking at the Thinkware F800 Pro.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Reviving this thread due to some shenanigans I've recently witnessed. What's the good dashcam now? I'm still considering the Rexing but open to something else should it have a good review.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Still rocking my Blackvue 650 2 years later. I just transferred it to another car.

The Blackvue 750 and their 4k camera look pretty sweet too.

The other one that seems to hold up to some abuse is the Vantru Pro.

I'm still really sold on the Blackvue all around though. It's recorded well over 6TB at this point.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 01-04-19 at 01:31 PM.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

I own the Aukey DR02 Front & Rear. I’ve had this for 3 months now and have been very happy. I bought on Amazon for $129.99. You can also purchase just the forward facing for around $80.00.

1080p Dual Stealth Dash Cams | AUKEY

0 Not allowed!
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I have and got the GF one of these and they have been solid so far. A129 duo, front and rear cam with GPS, and I also got the 3 wire hard wire kit to make use of the parking mode. Great ratings on all of the dash cam forums.
    VIOFO Official Site

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

A cautionary tale.

In April 2018 we had just pulled out from a light to a right hand turn when we were hit from behind. The driver of the other vehicle was a Vietnamese citizen with a Vietnamese driver’s license three weeks old. He apologized profusely.

His sister lives nearby and asked if they could handle it outside of insurance. Got an estimate at my body shop of $2,550. They then said “Go through insurance.”

USAA told me the claim wasn’t settled and I wound up calling their insurance, GEICO. They had filed a written report in English stating I had passed them in the intersection and pulled in front of them, so I was at fault.

After the GEICO Adjuster looked at the intersection (7:45am Monday, single lane roads with cars parked on both sides, and a school zone 100’ away) she agreed that story was unlikely. They got a Vietnamese interpreter and asked for a recorded call. And finally found them at fault. But if not for the time and place I might have been out our $1,000 deductible and had a claim against me.

After surfing forums and finding the biggest problem with dashcam info was not being able to read the license plates, I bought a BlackVue 900S 2 channel. Installed one but going to have Krank It Up in Medford do the next.

BlackVue DR900S-2CH - 4K UHD + Full HD Two-Channel Cloud Dash​cam

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-07-19 at 05:02 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

After surfing forums and finding the biggest problem with dashcam info was not being able to read the license plates, I bought a BlackVue 900S 2 channel. Installed one but going to have Krank It Up in Medford do the next.

BlackVue DR900S-2CH - 4K UHD + Full HD Two-Channel Cloud Dash​cam
    I used the Blackvue software to zoom in and read the plate off a car I had an incident with. It worked well enough. The 4k camera must make it pretty easy though.

I seriously thought about upgrading to the newer cameras when they went on sale for the holidays. I bought myself a few other toys instead though.

If the 900 had IR for the rear I think I would have popped for it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 01-07-19 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I have and got the GF one of these and they have been solid so far. A129 duo, front and rear cam with GPS, and I also got the 3 wire hard wire kit to make use of the parking mode. Great ratings on all of the dash cam forums.
    VIOFO Official Site
    Do you have that wired for parking sensors? Pretty sure I'm going to do the a129 front and rear but I'm not positive I even need the parking sensor.

0 Not allowed!

i'm debating on picking up one of these front & rear camera setups...how do you get power to these?...have to tap dome light and run a cord to the rear of the car for the rear camera?

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

You can tap power if you want, but most come with a crazy long cord that plugs into a power socket.

Tap at a dome light or run under the dash and tap into a fuse box depending on if you're looking for switched or unswitched power for parking modes.

Tons of options. Mine is plugged into a power point and routed along the headliner, down the side and then through the dash by the glovebox.

My rear camera is also on the windshield since I want video of the pax more than behind the car. I do get a glimpse of what's behind me if someone were to rear end me.

There's another long cord that attaches the rear camera to the front camera that could be hidden in the headliner if you wanted to run it all the way to the rear. There is no seperate power supply for the rear camera on my Blackvue, others may be different.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 01-08-19 at 10:16 AM.

You can tap power if you want, but most come with a crazy long cord that plugs into a power socket.

Tap at a dome light or run under the dash and tap into a fuse box depending on if you're looking for switched or unswitched power for parking modes.

Tons of options. Mine is plugged into a power point and routed along the headliner, down the side and then through the dash by the glovebox.

My rear camera is also on the windshield since I want video of the pax more than behind the car. I do get a glimpse of what's behind me if someone were to rear end me.

There's another long cord that attaches the rear camera to the front camera that could be hidden in the headliner if you wanted to run it all the way to the rear. There is no seperate power supply for the rear camera on my Blackvue, others may be different.
    thanks...i'll def be looking into this further...i'd probably plug into a power socket in that case...how do these things attach to the windshield?...my garmin and radar detector suction cups fall off my windshield all the time...i would assume it's a more stable mounting system

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

The Blackvue comes with some crazy sticky pads that adhere them to the windshield. They survived for 2 years and I had to use a ton of force to pop the cameras off when I put them in a different car. Zero worries about the cameras falling.

I bought the same adhesive for the new car. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KO...op_mb_pd_title

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 01-08-19 at 11:41 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast