Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

lets talk dash cams

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Re: lets talk dash cams

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Do you have that wired for parking sensors? Pretty sure I'm going to do the a129 front and rear but I'm not positive I even need the parking sensor.
    It is built in to the unit itself. When it feels a bump it turns the camera on and records for a set amount of time. You can adjust both of those settings in the app that connects to the unit via wifi. I have opened my truck doors and it turned on by itself.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    It is built in to the unit itself. When it feels a bump it turns the camera on and records for a set amount of time. You can adjust both of those settings in the app that connects to the unit via wifi. I have opened my truck doors and it turned on by itself.
    Not sure if yours can do this but the Blackvue can set impact criteria before it logs anything. Rough roads in Boston were enough to cause the camera to log an event, which it saves as a seperate video file. I turned down the sensitivity so normal driving doesn't trigger anything, but a solid hit from something will.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Not sure if yours can do this but the Blackvue can set impact criteria before it logs anything. Rough roads in Boston were enough to cause the camera to log an event, which it saves as a seperate video file. I turned down the sensitivity so normal driving doesn't trigger anything, but a solid hit from something will.
    I believe it will, there are a bunch of settings that I just haven't messed with yet. It also has a button that you can push to do the same thing, that way looping vids won't erase it.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

BTW, here is a great comparison vid.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Wow. Quite the differences!

Last edited by e30addict; 01-08-19 at 07:46 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Wow. Quite the differences!
    There are, the Blackview is a great cam and you pay for it. The Viofo that I have is a pretty good cam and 1/3rd the price of the Blackview.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    There are, the Blackview is a great cam and you pay for it. The Viofo that I have is a pretty good cam and 1/3rd the price of the Blackview.
    Even the differences between the 2 Blackvues is striking side by side. Cheap they definitely are not.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

My perspective on these totally changed after we got hit. BlackVue 900 became cheap insurance.

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My perspective on these totally changed after we got hit. BlackVue 900 became cheap insurance.
    That was my thought. One incident and it pays for itself. It helped lessen the sting some that I wrote it off too.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    That was my thought. One incident and it pays for itself. It helped lessen the sting some that I wrote it off too.
    So this happened last month. Guy was cool at the scene but later told his insurance company I hit him. Damage to my left front and his right rear would have screwed me without video proof. Almost 3k damage to my car. When you factor in increased insurance costs the dash cam saved me quite a bit. His insurance changed their tune pretty quick after I sent the video over. It's sad that driving in Boston necessitates needing a cam to protect yourself from the idiots out there.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

i've been wanting to install a camera for a while may see if i can find a portable nav with a dash cam built in so i don't have too much stuff mounted in my car

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i've been wanting to install a camera for a while may see if i can find a portable nav with a dash cam built in so i don't have too much stuff mounted in my car
    The dash cams pretty much stay behind/above the mirror. Like the EZ Pass transponder, they're not in your field of view and are basically out of sight out of mind.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The dash cams pretty much stay behind/above the mirror. Like the EZ Pass transponder, they're not in your field of view and are basically out of sight out of mind.
    my issue is just powering it...already running wires for my radar detector and car gps across my dash...car gps and radar detector mounted opposite location of my inspections sticker...plus aux input cord and usb iphone cord...if i could get a combo unit that would be a plus in my book...less wires although i imagine video quality would suck compared to a dedicated unit

my issue is just powering it...already running wires for my radar detector and car gps across my dash...car gps and radar detector mounted opposite location of my inspections sticker...plus aux input cord and usb iphone cord...if i could get a combo unit that would be a plus in my book...less wires although i imagine video quality would suck compared to a dedicated unit
    You could hardwire to the map light or other power in the headliner as well.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

You could hardwire to the map light or other power in the headliner as well.
    Iíd have to get into a headliner light...no power to the mirror

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I ordered my A129 I included a few fuse taps with it. Pretty easy to install. One constant, one ground, one on the ignition circuit. It's got a low battery cut off for the parking sensor as well. I tapped into the glove box in the inside of the car, went up the A pillar and out through the headliner.

Last edited by 01xj; 10-22-19 at 09:29 PM.

So this happened last month. Guy was cool at the scene but later told his insurance company I hit him. Damage to my left front and his right rear would have screwed me without video proof. Almost 3k damage to my car. When you factor in increased insurance costs the dash cam saved me quite a bit. His insurance changed their tune pretty quick after I sent the video over. It's sad that driving in Boston necessitates needing a cam to protect yourself from the idiots out there.//
    Similar story.

In April 2017 was driving my son to school. We moved out after a red light, turning right, and got hit in the rear quarter by a Toyota minivan. The driver was Vietnamese (very common in this part of Dot) and spoke almost no English. All he said was “Sorry,” repeatedly. Not clear how he lost control, but he had an international driver’s license dated three weeks prior.

His sister lives nearby and showed up. She spoke English well. She asked if we would consider letting them pay the body shop directly. I said yes.

Took it to our usual shop and they quoted $2,500. She called them up and tried to negotiate. Then she called me up and asked if I would take it to there friends body shop in Quincy. No way.

Called USAA and they said, “The other insurance company has not accepted fault.” Because USAA is completely worthless these days, called the other company, GEICO, directly.

Their claims adjuster explained that their insured had filed a written statement stating that I had passed the minivan, then cut in front of them, and thus was at fault. The GEICO claims adjuster had the common sense to pull up Google maps and look at the intersection. It’s the intersection of two streets with cars parked on both sides and a school 100 feet away. I gave them a written statement, also pointing out the registration they gave me was for a different vehicle, and registered in Malden.

GEICO got a Vietnamese translator and asked the other party to submit a recorded statement. And very shortly thereafter they accepted fault. The body shop they suggested charged them $3,100.

Without a fair opposing claims adjuster, at best we would have been out the deductible and at worst, been found at fault.

Started investigating dash cams and learned quickly that cheap dash cams are very often worthless, because the other party takes off, and they lack the resolution to read the license plate. Their night performance is also lacking.

The BlackVue 900 2 channels we got are really cheap insurance.

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Garmin makes one

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Garmin makes one
    i have been looking into that one...it seems to have some type of wonky collision warning system that doesn't work well and you may not be able to disable it so it beeps all the time...getting this info from reviews so it may only be one persons experience

So this happened last month.
    Nice job keeping it together. Track time pays off, eh?
    Agreed on the Boston necessity. I had a guy recently come from the on ramp across three lanes into the passing lane and then hammer the brakes for no apparent reason. Had I rear ended him (and I came close) it would have been all on me without the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Nice job keeping it together. Track time pays off, eh?
    Agreed on the Boston necessity. I had a guy recently come from the on ramp across three lanes into the passing lane and then hammer the brakes for no apparent reason. Had I rear ended him (and I came close) it would have been all on me without the video.
    Track time definitely paid off. It took full lock to catch the car and it still almost ate guardrail.

The amount of WTF moments driving in the city really is astounding.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

It's not just city anymore. I drive out in the sticks daily and at least once a week I get to see a "WTF were they thinking??" moment. I'm thinking of making the Tundra some fender guards out of some 3" channel I found in the warehouse...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Track time definitely paid off. It took full lock to catch the car and it still almost ate guardrail.

The amount of WTF moments driving in the city really is astounding.
    Ugh with the new job I drive into Boston about once a week. I forgot how much I hate that commute and just being there honestly.

On topic: dash cams in every single car for a couple of years now - fortunately haven’t had to use any of the footage for insurance purposes. Have caught some crazy shit and a major accident involving a fire so far.

Started with a black box or whatever it’s called but have switched all to APEMAN ($50ish on Amazon) and very happy with them. Black box has wider view but I find the APEMAN easier/quicker to use and I like the screen quality.

finally got around to installing the rexing v1 wifi camera in my car this past weekend...i got a 128GB micro sd card...i haven't had time to pull the card or mess around with the app to see what the video footage looks like...what are the recommended settings that you guys are using?...thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Not in the past 2.5 years since I decided to tow the line and be a rolling roadblock. I want to protect myself from the next lying sack of shit statie and the idiots out there on rt24 every day.
    Have you considered a career in police auditing?

To anger a conservative tell him a lie. To anger a leftist tell him the truth.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast