Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Let's talk trucks

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Let's talk trucks

I guess I'll give this a try over here too...

Soooo... I want a truck again. A nice truck. More truck than I really "need". A truck that I expect to keep long term (10+ years). A truck that will not be my daily driver (I will still have a car). A truck with 4 doors and a short bed. I have no plans of buying new. I'll buy something 2 years old and let some other asshole take the initial hit in value.

Some of my thoughts:

2500... without spark plugs. 4-Door, short box. GM or Dodge. I do not want a Ford 3/4-ton pickup, so don't suggest it. The 2500 is totally a "want". I really don't need that much truck. But... whatever things I decide to buy in the future... "Yes, I can tow that". The GM has the Duramax motor and an awesome Allison transmission. The Dodge has the awesome Cummins motor, and a cream puff transmission. Feel free to discuss pros/cons of both.

1500... Open to the Big 3 here. I had an F-150 that was very good to me. I firmly believe that I can get better bang for the buck out of an American truck vs a Tundra. The Nissan is shit, a slob on fuel, short interior, looks like a 19 year old designed the cabin, and is loooong over due for an upgrade. Fell free to pin down one from GM, Dodge, or Ford.

Tahoe / Yukon... So, full size sport utility. All the towing of a truck, can still totally run over shit with it. Large, lockable storage, great vacation vehicle, still able to transport large items. Only thing I can't do with it is load the bed full of mulch. Who cares, I have a condo. I have a trailer... so anything that doesn't fit in the sport ute will got in the trailer. Added benefit, no one calls to borrow your "truck". Likely cheaper than it's truck counterpart. Only problem is that I "want" a pickup truck. So I don't know how long I can stay in love with the Tahoe. I don't want an Expedition. And all the japanese full size sport utes suck.

And lastly... the thing that's preventing me from making a rational, useful, utilitarian, responsible, decision out of the things listed above... RAPTOR! I don't care, I fucking want it.

Discuss...

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Re: Let's talk trucks

'Busa.

0 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    Only since you mentioned the SUVs / toy.... just going to throw it out there, SRT8?

Not yet....

Buy this and be a real man :p
    Psshh go big or go home

Yep I just did that :

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

You'll never use all that power.
    (obligatory post)

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Research the raptor's bending frames and it may change your mind. They have kind of fixed it but if they skimped there who knows what will become of these trucks 5 years down the road.
    I'm saying that as i am looking at buying one as well. I don't plan on keeping it for more than a couple years either. It's a toy, not a truck per say.

Much like everything else these days it almost stupid not to buy a yota. Resale is crazy and longevity is proven. If i was gonna buy a truck to use sparingly and looking to sell it later one it would be the yota.
    I'd stay as far away as possible from a dodge. Lovely motor and lovely trans but its everything else that is worrisome. If dodge made the motor and tranny those would be suspect too. I can't help but be sad when i see a relatively new Ram go by with rusted bumper and wheel arches.

Any chevy is a winner in my book as well. They will last and they will not disappoint.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

What did your research reveal about the Raptor being "not a truck"?

I haven't researched it at all. I want one based off of appearance. And that I really liked my 2006 F150.

My impression was that it's a standard F150 with a 6.2l shoehorned in, Fox suspension, and lots of dash switches...

I did see the story about the "bending frames". Some guy was jumping the shit out of a full size truck, damaged the frame, and bitched to ford about it.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Well, I will tell you my experience and see if that helps.

I like horsepower and I like modding shit. I really wanted a diesel with 100% intentions of tuning it. The problem is, diesels cost A LOT of money and there are so many tricks for which one to buy.... Oh, if the second number of the VIN is a 2 so it is okay, but if it's a 1 it will explode, but only if its in the new body style and a 2004.5 and not a 2004 and.... blah blah.

I bailed on diesel and started looking at gassers. I am a GM guy, and I was pretty disappointed to look at "average" trucks from chevy with medium options and 340 hp for $40,000

Then, I found the ecoboost F150 and jumped on it. I think we have the same taste, as it is a 4x4, 4 door, short bed. The bed is a little bit too short at 5.5' (and we have a truck box back there so it leaves you like 3' of bed). The truck actually is surprisingly similar to the layout of my dads old avalanche but without all the gimmicks and I love it. The interior is cavernous and comfy.

Stock it is 385hp and 420 ft/lbs 18mpg avg, with a $600 tuner I am at 400 horsepower and 500 ft/lbs and 16 mpg (then I put on 35s and get 14-15 mpg). I put a small lift on it that included an add-a-leaf for the rear which helps hauling stuff. I do have to swap to a tow tune when towing though.

I cant say the truck is perfect. We had some warranty work around 20k miles with a replaced catalytic converter and intercooler. Also, the right front speaker cuts out sometimes, and the clear coat on the ecoboost badges flaked off within 2 years from new. Nothing serious, but it gived the truck an overall feeling of low quality in my opinion.

It is a 2011, we got 0% financing on it for $38k ish, its now 4 years old with around 50k miles.

I am happy with it. The motor is beast and it tows like a dream. Stock tow rating is 9k lbs, but you can get the max tow package which is close to 12k lbs which is heading toward weak diesel territory.

For me, it was a solution between a low on power gasser, a powerful gasser that gets single digit mpg, and a very pricey diesel.

Hope that helps you some?

All that said, Id like my next truck to be a 6.X liter GMC 1/2ton 4 door :o

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 12-12-14 at 03:43 PM.

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post

I haven't researched it at all. I want one based off of appearance. And that I really liked my 2006 F150.

My impression was that it's a standard F150 with a 6.2l shoehorned in, Fox suspension, and lots of dash switches...

I did see the story about the "bending frames". Some guy was jumping the shit out of a full size truck, damaged the frame, and bitched to ford about it.
    The only problem with the bending frame is that the bump stop sits RIGHT where there is an indent in the frame or something, so if you hit a big bump, all that force hits right at the same time the bump stop slams into the weakest point of the chassis. There are after market fixes for a few hundred that take care of it. Dont let the bending chassis issue sway you from a raptor.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Nice truck. I'm sorry about your penis.

Edit: this is my general reaction when I see stupid ass trucks, and not directed at anyone who has posted their truck in this thread (yet).
    Except Noel. He deserves to be ridden more. And that's ok.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Chippertheripper; 12-12-14 at 03:46 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

The Nebulas: surf. Instrumental, gnarly surf.

iTrader Score

I had a truck as a second vehicle once. Sold both it and my car and got a diesel Jeep. Having two vehicles was a pain for me (not enough space if I kept my trailer, couldn't justify having a truck considering I hardly used it). Plus I can rent a uhaul trailer for $15/day and abuse the shit out of it. My truck got scratches from moving my stuff AND my friends/family's stuff. Getting into the bed was a challenge sometimes too.

If I had to replace my Jeep right now, I'd seriously consider the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or Grand Cherokee diesel. I am also looking forward to the new Titan (Tundra?) with the cummins! If they put a cummins in an Armada/Sequoia sized SUV I'd grab that in a heartbeat (assuming I could afford it!).

With that said, I'd have a Raptor in my driveway if I could. Or a Powerwagon... and a Jetta TDI! I'll keep dreaming...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 12-12-14 at 03:56 PM.

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Let's talk trucks-image-jpg F150. By far the best vehicle I have owned. Plenty of nut, big cab, super comfortable. Downside is they don't come cheap, sticker on this '12 was $49k..

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post

A truck is a truck, the raptor is a toy. I wouldn't be hauling a load of bricks in it and i wouldnt tow a motor home with it either. Thats not to say it can't do it, but why would you do it. Once you start using it as a truck the novelty of what it can do performance wise will be lost.

It wasn't just one guy who's frame bent, it was a whole group of trucks re enacting a ford commercial that started it. Now it's started to effect a large amount of owners who are doing "truck things" with it. Heavy payloads, towing etc. Ford solution was to reinstall a frame plate it deemed unnecessary during production.

If you are considering buying a used one bring a micrometer with you and measure the bed gap between the cab top to bottom. A few i looked at didnt even need a micrometer, you could see by eye. I'm not saying a couple thousands is a big deal since the gap isnt perfect but when you start seeing large run out number its time to think about what is going on. yes ford is doing something about it and yes the aftermarket is also doing something about it but it is a massive issue to have happen or worry about. Alot of issue's with vehicles dont show up until much later in life, to have one happen within weeks of release worries me. I'm still looking at them dont get me wrong but i know exactly what to look for and what to ask. I'm going in it at my own risk. I also dont want a truck, i want a toy that will never see any work beyond maybe a bike in the back. I have a new grand cherokee and trailer that does all the hauling and abuse i need it too.

i do like the eco-boost motor as well, they actually seem faster than a raptor and they are very close performance wise. I worry about the aluminum body they are using these days. I have no idea how hard it would be to repair a gouge or maybe in 5 years when the aluminum starts oxidizing and the paint starts lifting. I had a SHO and the aluminum hood started bubbling like rust about 8 years after i bought it. Really pissed me off. Whole thing had to be stripped and re done, couldnt just touch it up.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by boosten lebaron; 12-12-14 at 08:31 PM.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I think you should buy an F250 Super Doody. You deserve something that rides like shit, drinks fuel, will rust out faster than a toyota...and you won't have to worry about the spark plugs, they fall out anyways on their own.
    Fuck you

3 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Ladies and gentlemen, that completes our thread. Ford F2 50 super duty it is. Because, I deserve it.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

DoD is going to sell off several thousand HMMWV's....

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Nice truck. I'm sorry about your penis.
    Edit: this is my general reaction when I see stupid ass trucks, and not directed at anyone who has posted their truck in this thread (yet).
    Except Noel. He deserves to be ridden more. And that's ok.
    Says "Element Man."

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-12-14 at 07:32 PM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

That's right. I said that shit.
    Do I have to repeat myself?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Ok. And?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

Dodge sucks. In every way.

0 Not allowed!
    Johnny

Its an Italian bike...Ive had (have?) a few

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Oh THIS is the one!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Back off, she's mine!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

SRT-10 Ram.

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

iTrader Score

Dodge has the best diesel IMO, but tranny not so good. But you can get a cummins and 6 spd manual which seems stout.
    Second choice would be the gm.
    I'd rather walk than drive a ford after my last.

My yard truck is a 96 ram sport with a 5.9. Still going strong with 225k on the clock. Had a slight tranny freshen at 150k.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast