Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011122242 ... LastLast

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    A truck with 4 doors and a short bed.

Sounds like you want a body-on-frame SUV. Tahoe, Explosion, whatever.

Although if I had your money, I'd be looking at the Grand Cherokee. Damn those things are nice. 7,200 lbs towing capacity out of the 5.7l V8. That's a lot of "yeah, it can tow it" in my book.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Although if I had your money, I'd be looking at the Grand Cherokee. Damn those things are nice. 7,200 lbs towing capacity out of the 5.7l V8. That's a lot of "yeah, it can tow it" in my book.
    F the Hemi, get the EcoDiesel and have the same towing capacity, but with much better MPGs!

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Tundra for a gasser
    Duramax for the Eco fuel
    The end

0 Not allowed!

I rented a newer silverado, drove in a newer F-150, tundra, and they have all the creature comforts of a quiet, newer car...f-150 or tundra seemed better to my liking, but they're all so close, so I'd say drive 'em all and find what "fits" you best. but dang...$40-50k for a truck! I hope my level of personal comfort stays 15-20 years behind what's current...it's helluva lot cheaper! happy w' my slow/oldschool CNG powered '01 f-150...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-13-14 at 12:57 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @veshlife

My current truck is a 2002 Dodge 2500 2wd with a Cummins and a 6 speed manual. It's got no rust at all and if it were not a standard cab I would keep it forever. The standard cab is too cramped for my annual road trip to the Smokey Mountains. Next truck will likely be a 4wd double cab Chevy or GMC gasser. My current diesel only has 66,000 miles so I never saw the fuel economy/diesel engine payoff and gasoline fuel economy is getting quite good conpared to 12 years ago when I got the Dodge.

0 Not allowed!
    Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    F the Hemi, get the EcoDiesel and have the same towing capacity, but with much better MPGs!
    Maybe. That add some significant costs? Wonder how much gas that hemi would have to drink to make up the cost delta?
    As a second vehicle.. does that make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I hope my level of personal comfort stays 15-20 years behind what's current...it's helluva lot cheaper! happy w' my slow/oldschool CNG powered '01 f-150...
    CNG!!!

Here in NEW ENGLAND-where most of us live-a 15-20 year old truck is a rusted, beat to hell pos. Most of us don't want that.

My problem with the 2nd hand truck market is there seem to be two choices:
    - A stripped, beat to hell work truck that has 200k on the clock and looks like it was driven by someone who hated their boss
    - A loaded, 4x4 quad-cab, mini-bead with blue tooth, ipad dash, interstellar radio, air conditioned seats and integrated ball scratcher.. for $40k

Those choices suck. There's no fresh, off-lease reasonably optioned choices. I completely understand why people go new.

1 Not allowed!

If it's not your daily driver try to find a nice used mid-2000s GMC Sierra with the 8.1L/Allison transmission combo. Gets shit for MPG but can tow your balls off.

Yes, they exist.

0 Not allowed!

I just upgraded from an '03 2500 w/duramax to a '14 Tundra. I was thinking of sticking with the diesel, but with the cost of fuel and maintaining the engine, I decided to go back to gas. From what I understand, the '06 is the best year for a Chevy with the diesel. It has the 6spd Allison but not all the emissions bullshit. After that year they get more complex, and harder to modify. The fuel milage also isn't that good in the newer trucks. My '03 would get 20-22 in the summer, I know the newer trucks don't do that stock. I've also heard of people having problems with the urea tanks freezing up and with the trucks randomly going into high idle during regeneration. I don't know what it's like to own one, but this is what pushed me back toward gas when I was buying a truck in July.
    I looked at a few new Chevy 1500s, but the interior still seemed to be made of cheap shit plastic. I worked on numbers with the dealer to get into a gas 2500, but they were way off what Toyota offered, so I got the Tundra. It's a nice truck, tows well, and is getting 15.5 mpgs right now. It does better in summer. The leather is good quality and everything feels solid and well put together, like it won't be a sloppy mess at 100k. I've always owned Chevys but I'm really happy with the Toyota so far.

0 Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

dodge has that new 1500 diesel. have you looked at that? i havent bothered to see what configs or bells and whistles it comes with but it could be a "best of both worlds" thing

i was in a similar situation a month ago. i WANT a new truck. took out a 14 Laramie quad 4x4 and fell in love. it had everything. shit i didnt even need OR want. it had shit i had only heard rumors about. it was like...ultra shit.
    i decided to hold off for a year or 2 and dump that money into paying off my wifes car early since its depreciating faster than than its being paid off. maybe then i can find lightly used Ram 1500 Laramie Ultra Shit.
    the dealership happen to have a VERY nice used 12 1500 quad Big Horn that they had taken in the night before as a trade with only 9k on it. it didnt have ALL the bells and whistles and i really wanted Nav and back up cam (which they were willing to install and split the cost), but i didnt NEED a truck. if i did NEED a truck i wouldnt have hesitated to buy it, hell, it was even the color i wanted. this was also before i drove the Ultra Shit Laramie.

with all that said, im obviously a fan of the Dodges. although ive never been brand loyal about anything. i usually just buy what i like regardless of who makes it. chevys just dont do it for me and my dad has a 12 F150 that i just despise the interior. i was set on a quad cab from dodge so that i knew i could put bikes in the back (with the tailgate down) and then after a little math realized that i can actually fit a bike in the back of the dodge crew cab as well (tailgate down). not sure how it will work with a trailer in tow but if thats a concern, im fairly certain you can get a quad cab with a 8ft bed. maybe a crew cab as well, although you may have to register it 2 different counties.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 12-13-14 at 10:15 AM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 KTM 690SM /03 KTM 300EXC
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

- A loaded, 4x4 quad-cab, mini-bead with blue tooth, ipad dash, interstellar radio, air conditioned seats and integrated ball scratcher.. for $40k
    ill take it

1 Not allowed!
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

ill be honest, i had no idea they put that new diesel in the JGC. i had the durango in the back of my mind since even the V6 tows something stupid like 6k+ but the diesel JGC has me intrigued. although i just built one on their website to the tune of $50k since the Limited is lowest avail model for the diesel option and there was some "i gotta have" options i threw in.

0 Not allowed!

I have a '14 Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ. It has basically everything and I love it. The '14+ interiors are awesome and I definitely don't have the impression its cheaply made. My dad's F150 Lariat Eco boost on the other hand....cheap. There's a reason Ford is "America's #1 selling truck," I'll clue you in, its not because Americans are sold on high quality, its because its fucking cheap. I also had a '12 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. Engine is nice, transmission sucks balls. Pulling my double axle trailer with a Jeep (about 7k) it performed horribly at highway speeds. Constantly searching for the right gear, never finding it. Had an '11 Duramax as well. Amazing truck, nearly 800 ft lbs of torque is stupidly amazing. Great truck.

On to the current truck. My '14 is awesome. Think I said that already. The tech is great and very intuitive. It has an 8.5" LCD in the center and a 3.5" in the dash. You can do tasks on each of them and swap screens back and forth between tasks. Heated and air conditioned seats are really nice, as is leather steering wheel. Leather is good quality and has held up well for 20k miles of getting my dirty ass in and out of the truck. It cleans up easy also. The built in step in the bumper is very useful, much more so than that man step they put in super duties several years ago. It has under bed rail led lighting, which is nice. Mine has tow package which is 3.73 gears, locking diff, and has 9600 lbs capacity. It tows my jeep much better than my ram. Despite having 45 less horsepower the 6L80 transmission really gets the job done. Easily the best transmission available in the half ton market, its the reason to not get caught up in the half ton horsepower arms race. It still light up the rear tires and produce a nice, smokey posi burnout. I get about 18 mpg combined. 22+ on straight highway, 16 towing my 5x10 enclosed trailer, and 13 towing my 96"x18' deck over flat bed.

Cannot say enough good things about this truck. Any specific questions you have let me know.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Here in NEW ENGLAND-where most of us live-a 15-20 year old truck is a rusted, beat to hell pos. Most of us don't want that.

- A stripped, beat to hell work truck that has 200k on the clock and looks like it was driven by someone who hated their boss

Those choices suck. There's no fresh, off-lease reasonably optioned choices. I completely understand why people go new.
    holding CNG aside - can't you find something in between w' the craigslist scourge? "good deals are out there, you just gotta wait"...setup your RSS feed to meet a certain search criteria, when it pops up, have cash ready and be ready to make a good offer fast.

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @veshlife

Maybe. That add some significant costs? Wonder how much gas that hemi would have to drink to make up the cost delta?
    As a second vehicle.. does that make any sense?
    Diesel usually adds a few thousand to the cost of most vehicles. The payback can be a few years, depending on how much you drive, but it will also have a higher resale value, so that narrows it a bit. When I bought my '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, they were all priced more than a Hemi version, even ones with many more miles on them!

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    If it's not your daily driver try to find a nice used mid-2000s GMC Sierra with the 8.1L/Allison transmission combo. Gets shit for MPG but can tow your balls off.

Yes, they exist.
    I had a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L and Allison trans..kick myself for selling that..by far the best truck I have ever driven. Not only was it semi fast, it towed as good as the diesel did in those years. Fuel economy was all over the place, I never got less than 10mpg towing, and got as good as 15.5mpg empty. I've seen owners of these combo's posting on the gm truck forums with 350k + miles and still going strong

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    got as good as 15.5mpg empty.

Did you drive off a cliff to get this out of an 8.1?

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I bought my 08 Dmax 2 years old with 19k on it. It has 65k now and I havent had any problems. I love it. The power is good, tows flawless, rides nice and has all the features you need. It does have the emissions crap that everyone loves to hate but I dont care. I dont use it to race around in. If you drive it nice you can get 20mpg on a highway trip. I average 14 with my camper on all the time and around town. It was hard to find. I was looking every day and was the first one to look at it. Yes I did pay 42 for it but I still saved over 10 grand from new. I plan on keeping it a long time and drive it back to Mass when I am done in Alaska in 2016. I had some check engine lights when I first got it and they did some warranty EGR replacement stuff and I needed a fuel cooler due to a leak around 45kmiles. Its been fine ever since. I love it.

0 Not allowed!
    Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Ill plug GMC as well. I bought Darkduc's 2011 2500 with the 6.2l gas engine, extended cab and 8ft bed. We absolutely love this trucking coming from an F-150. The 8ft bed is awesome to haul pretty much anything. I've hauled everything from a yard of wet topsoil, 2 - horses in a trailer, a bunch of firewood, and some furniture without any issues. It seems to drive well regardless of what we're hauling. The only downside is that it doesn't fit in a normal parking spot and the turning radius is similar to a bus. The ride empty isn't great but we bought it for utility and not comfort.

0 Not allowed!
    Clutch Brake Throttle.....
    LRRS AM #107
    2008 Hypermotard 1100S -

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Did you drive off a cliff to get this out of an 8.1?
    No, that was an all highway trip to Maine and back. I bought it new, and ordered it with the 3.73 axle vs 4.10 standard, put a Westers Tune ECU in it, and a free flowing air box+ filter. I'm sure those had a lot to do with it as well. According to Westers, the tune bumped the HP upto 380, and the torque upto 530ftlbs

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

are you looking for a new or used one?

i'll be selling my loaded 2011 2500 duramx crew cab 8' bed

as i recall it has around 37k mi the balance of a factory bumper to bumper 0$ detectable warranty and brand new Michelins.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Let's talk trucks-img_20140411_175320_523-jpg Say what you want about F250 Superdutys but I purchased mine new in 2007. It is a standard transmission with 180,000 miles on it now and gets 12mpg. I plow with it, pull horses and race bikes everywhere and plan to run it as my daily driver for another 4+ years. It cost me $28K new....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MikeBike; 12-14-14 at 11:15 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Just Registered

2012 Sliverado 1500 Z71 LT. Love it. it has had zero problems in 46,000 miles. I have an extended cab and at some point i will upgrade to a crew cab, but that's the only reason i would upgrade..

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't Race it or take it to bed, it's not worth having..

'07 Silverado with the measly little 325 CID in it - towing package and a few other goodies. 4x4, 4-doors, short bed, yadda-yadda-yadda. Bought it new and currently have about 130K on the ticker. Not one catastrophic issue. Typical brake job here & there, some other minor stuff, and just getting to needing ball joints. Commuting my 45-50 miles to work, I'm getting just about 20MPG's. My commute is mostly local highway (avg speed is about 40-45MPH), not much city, some interstate here & there. I have yet to tow or haul anything that's given me issues: boat, camper, trailer full of ATV's w/ one also in the bed, a fuck-ton of firewood every year, on & on & on...

I've been more impressed with this than any other brandy new vehicle I've driven off the lot. I'm convinced I'll get 300K out of it with minor coaxing...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I am thinking about buying a used Tundra next year to replace my 99 Durango. Since I plan to keep it many years, but won't be driving it many miles, rust is a bigger concern than odometer readings (the Durango has towed 7400 lbs regularly since 2005 and still runs perfectly with 156,000 miles, sadly it's rusting out badly now...). So, my plan is to fly down south somewhere where they don't rust, and spend a day or two shopping for a 5 to 7 year old used truck. Then I'll just drive it home. With luck, it'll wear out just as it rusts out. I was planning to shop for a high mileage/no rust 99 to 2002 Durango to swap over my drive train to, but my wife nixed that plan.

0 Not allowed!