Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I think it is the only early-mid 2000's chevy with solid rocker panels and bed fenders in new england.
    Cat eye Silverados 03-07. My 05 rockers and cab corners are mint on my GMC but i take care of it. Bed rot over the wheel well is a dodge thing.

0 Not allowed!

Has anyone here ever put an LS1 (or 3 or 7 or...) into an S-10?

1 Not allowed!
    '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I imagine the better question would be: "is there any car or truck model that hasn't had an LS transplant?". Seems like people put them in everything. Great motors, nice and compact and excellent power to weight.

0 Not allowed!

I am so jonesing to buy a BMW 840 and drop an LS3 or LS7 into it. But that isn't a truck, so back to truck talk...

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    There are kits available to bolt in an LS engine into a first and 2nd generation s10. It's an easy and common swap. I've got an 88 s10 now with a 5.7L vortec style engine in it now, fun ride even though that generation engine is low on HP. When I was in my 20s, I built a short bed s10 with a 396 big block, if I had the time and funds, I'd build another using the vortec 8.1L.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I imagine the better question would be: "is there any car or truck model that hasn't had an LS transplant?". Seems like people put them in everything. Great motors, nice and compact and excellent power to weight.
    thinking about putting an LS3 into my Camaro.

Wait... Never mind. I came with one already

1 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

A potential new mid sized Ridgeline competitor from VW, the Atlas Tanoak. Exact same concept as the Ridgeline, based on the VW Atlas SUV. Based on those images I really dig it , hope they make it / bring it to the US.

VWtruck1.jpg VWtruck2.jpg VWtruck3.jpg (don't like this new no imbedded pics function )

VW Atlas Tanoak: Would it make sense to build it?

Perhaps the biggest surprise of the New York Auto Show was the Volkswagen Atlas Tanoak pickup truck. And one of the things that make the Tanoak so intriguing is how it seems pretty feasible to bring to market. It's based on the Atlas, which already has powertrains certified for emissions in America, and at least the front half wouldn't likely need much, if any work to make sure it passes U.S. safety standards. And like the Atlas, it uses the MQB modular platform found in everything from the aforementioned SUV to the Golf. As such, VW wouldn't be investing a lot of money to develop or adapt a from-scratch platform......

This brings us to the argument that building the Tanoak might not be a good move for VW, and that's the fact that the fraction of that midsize truck market accessible to VW could be miniscule. The truck on the market closest to the Tanoak is the Honda Ridgeline. It's also a car-based pickup truck that shares its front half and powertrains with the Honda Pilot crossover SUV. It even boasts unique and interesting features such as a big trunk in the back, and a tailgate that opens in different ways. In a market where the traditional trucks are selling in the six digits, the Ridgeline sold just over 34,000 units last year. That's not great. This midsize segment is also going to become more crowded soon as Ford introduces the traditional body-on-frame Ranger later this year, so everyone will be fighting harder for sales.......

All-in-all, Volkswagen probably ought to build the Tanoak. It would be a relatively cheap and easy vehicle to develop and certify, and it would likely give VW's sales a nice little boost, even if it's never a wild success like existing competitors. Oh, and did we mention it looks cool? Yeah, you should build it, VW.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by FriskyDingo; 04-18-18 at 12:28 PM. Reason: gramma error

Fresh from Tron. Give it a schtick with a diezle, I'd be interested.

0 Not allowed!

Give it a non VAG build, I'd be interested. The shit VW/Audi gets away with for reliability should be illegal.

Besides, unless VW builds it here, it'll be susceptible to the chicken tax.

In other news, I did new rear pads/rotors in my wife's '15 CRV last weekend after the whole sticking caliper debacle. Took half an hour and cost just about $60 shipped for everything. Something to be said for having such a common vehicle when it comes to parts pricing. Now I gotta figure out if I'm going to use Honda's $350 gift card they sent me to make up for the brake issue on a Ridgeline or not. Also paid off the wife's car while I was at it, so now I'm officially green light for moving when the time is right on a new truck.

The new 2018 Chevy/GMC lineup is just fucking MASSIVE. Like, looks like a 2500 on roller skates. Why make it so god damn huge? It was plenty big enough already.

And for all that money, it still doesn't come with a bed liner or LineX'd or anything. Should be standard, not a big $$ option. Pricks.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 04-18-18 at 01:18 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    now I'm officially green light for moving when the time is right on a new truck.
    you're getting a new truck?!?

I thought you were happy with whatever a paid off Taco would do?

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

I'm financially in a spot to move on a new truck, IF I decide to do so. That's all.

The (t)rusty old Taco just needs a set of tires soon and she'll be good for a while. But she just rolled over 140k, so it can't be my ride forever.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

I'm financially in a spot to move on a new truck, IF I decide to do so. That's all.

The (t)rusty old Taco just needs a set of tires soon and she'll be good for a while. But she just rolled over 140k, so it can't be my ride forever.
    That Taco is not likely to reach the end of life due to mileage. I say drive it into the ground, invest the "new truck money", eventually replace the Taco with a used one bought with cash, and retire earlier. For example, the principal and interest (at least 70 grand) that I DID NOT spend on the three used vehicles my wife and I currently drive, when compounded, is enough for me and my wife to retire very comfortably, at least one year early.

FWIW, I joined this forum when I was in my mid-30s and two years ago I became pension eligible; it is ASTOUNDING how much time really starts to accelerate as you get into your 40s and 50s. My mentor at work (who retired early in 2001 and is still one of my best friends) gave me some great advice in the late 80s about saving for retirement/not spending every penny on material stuff/experiences are better than possessions etc., and I am so glad I took it. I'm not saying don't have fun, but new cars (and big houses) are easy to live without, get "old" long before they are paid off, and are massive money pits.

Looking at your list of bikes makes me think you probably already know all this, but I figured maybe someone else might make good use of the advice.

0 Not allowed!

Looking at your list of bikes makes me think you probably already know all this, but I figured maybe someone else might make good use of the advice.
    Know that you are absolutely preaching to the choir on this one! Ig-man makes me look like a baller. He and I have chatted about this subject at length. You, he and I may not be on exactly the same page, but I think all of us are reading from the same book on that subject.

I'd add that forcing yourself to drive around in something that is uncomfortable, inconvenient or not reliable is sometimes not worth "retiring" a year earlier. Ig-man's situation has changed since he bought that thing.. and I can relate as mine has changed in some similar ways. Each of us has to strike the right balance for our own lifestyles.

Also pension eligible.. lol! Those do not exist anymore!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 04-19-18 at 07:39 AM.

That Taco is not likely to reach the end of life due to mileage. I say drive it into the ground, invest the "new truck money", eventually replace the Taco with a used one bought with cash, and retire earlier. //
    Agreeing with the latter point, Id offer that based on our work fleet, keeping just about any modern vehicle for 150-160K can be done with modest consumables maintenance: tires, brakes, filters, CV joints or drive axles, wheel bearings, maybe a radiator.

But we kept several vehicles to over 200,000 miles, and found the cost of repairs to go way up, while the value approaches zero. Another consideration is that you are dealing with bottom feeders when you sell.

While we still have one H6 Outback with 226,000 miles and climbing, from now on I’m pulling the plug at 150K, plus or minus.

Still won’t buy a CVT or a first model year.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-19-18 at 09:06 AM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē
    Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Also pension eligible.. lol! Those do not exist anymore!
    I know, I feel very fortunate that my wife and I are both vested in pension plans and have 401ks/IRAs. If universal health care was a thing, we could retire in < 5 years. Fortunately, I still love my job.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Agreeing with the latter point, Id offer that based on our work fleet, keeping just about any modern vehicle for 150-160K can be done with modest consumables maintenance: tires, brakes, filters, CV joints or drive axles, wheel bearings, maybe a radiator.

But we kept several vehicles to over 200,000 miles, and found the cost of repairs to go way up, while the value approaches zero. Another consideration is that you are dealing with bottom feeders when you sell.

While we still have one H6 Outback with 226,000 miles and climbing, from now on I’m pulling the plug at 150K, plus or minus.

Still won’t buy a CVT or a first model year.
    If you start with Toyotas, you may be able to adjust the 150k to over 200k. Toyotas have parts that really seem to last a long time. Ours have 140+k, 170+k, 180+k and 197k and all run like new and are very cheap and easy to maintain. All four still have original ball joints, tie rod ends, CV joints etc. One has new struts. The oldest has rust issues now and will likely be retired in 3 years or so. I've already got 12 years of reliable use from it.

0 Not allowed!

https://jalopnik.com/this-2018-study...-to-1824255987
    4 GM’s, 4 Toyota’s, a Honda and a Ford.

We considered a Sequoia in lieu of the Tahoe we bought, as well as Expedition. But GM dominates that segment, so more used options, and the Sequoia we rented for a week was very thirsty and boring.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-19-18 at 09:28 AM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē
    Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    https://jalopnik.com/this-2018-study...-to-1824255987
    4 GM’s, 4 Toyota’s, a Honda and a Ford.

We considered a Sequoia in lieu of the Tahoe we bought, as well as Expedition. But GM dominates that segment, so more used options, and the Sequoia we rented for a week was very thirsty and boring.
    I have Toyotas and a GMC, all purchased used with function and longevity in mind. All 4 Toyotas are really boring for the most part, but the two RAV4 V6s can be exciting when you floor them. They are pretty quick and have wicked torque steer that makes overtaking "intertesting". I think the Tahoe will serve you as well as a Sequoia and maintenance parts will be vastly cheaper.

0 Not allowed!

I spent the extra couple bucks this last time around and bought a Tundra in hopes that it will last 250k+.

Personally, I can't believe the Expedition made that list. The one we had made it to 85k, and was getting near the end. That was an '04 model, so maybe the newer ones are much better.

0 Not allowed!

The new 2018 Chevy/GMC lineup is just fucking MASSIVE. Like, looks like a 2500 on roller skates. Why make it so god damn huge? It was plenty big enough already.
    Comfort, safety and all the other shit that's been stated before. You wont have any problems with it, mine fits nicely in the Hannaford spots reserved for hybrid/fuel efficient/electric cars.

0 Not allowed!

And for all that money, it still doesn't come with a bed liner or LineX'd or anything. Should be standard, not a big $$ option. Pricks.
    Huh? Almost every new Silverado on my lot has a factory spray in liner... A few have the drop in plastic, and maybe a couple don't have a liner.

You're local dealer, who isn't ordering them with spray in liners, in a dope.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Huh? Almost every new Silverado on my lot has a factory spray in liner... A few have the drop in plastic, and maybe a couple don't have a liner.

You're local dealer, who isn't ordering them with spray in liners, in a dope.
    I believe only the Denali comes with the spray liner stock. But, it's $495 to add one to any GM truck. Not exactly a "big $ option" by any stretch.

0 Not allowed!

Yeah well that True Coat, it's installed at the factory, don't have it done and it'll cost ya more than $500 later!

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Tacoma and Ridgeline don’t ping you for another $500 for a bed that won’t rust.

GixerJockey, you are saying all the Chevy pickups you sell have a sprayed in bed liner at no additional cost?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Tacoma and Ridgeline donít ping you for another $500 for a bed that wonít rust.

GixerJockey, you are saying all the Chevy pickups you sell have a sprayed in bed liner at no additional cost?
    Itís built in to the overpriced base cost. They sure as fuck arenít giving it away.

0 Not allowed!