Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 1134

Let's talk trucks

  1. #951
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's awful for a truck tire. Is it indicative of tread wear?

    I'm about to clear 70k on the meh stock Wrangler SR what-evers that shipped on my Silverado. At 65k they just scraped by NH inspection.

    I know, I know.. that's rural commuter miles.
    That is fucking impressive! I renew my truck every 3 years and only twice have the tires made it to 30k miles. Maybe youíre a tire conserving wizard??

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #952
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,402

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    It’s a 50k warranted tire. Did they pay up if you burned through them in 30?
    I just drive the damned things. I aim to keep the tpms display reading 38 per corner. I’m not even religious about rotating like I used to be.

    I got >60k from both sets of bfg ats I had on my ranger. I thought that was just how pickup tires worked.

    I did burn up a set of firestones on my first 2wd ranger way back when. That was a really shitty tire though.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #953
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,769

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    I can see long tire life on something like a Ranger. 70k out of something much heavier is damned impressive.

    I suspect the large amount of highway driving with a lighter foot contributes greatly.

    I'll be thrilled to get 40k on the set on my truck. I like booting deep into the power too much though. They break free pretty easy as soon as she spools up into beast mode.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-10-18 at 07:43 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  4. #954
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    19,283

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    I’m at 50k on my Michelin’s on the Tacoma... and I got them used. Still enough tread to pass inspection, but won’t be enough for snow this winter.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  5. #955
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,645

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's awful for a truck tire. Is it indicative of tread wear?

    I'm about to clear 70k on the meh stock Wrangler SR what-evers that shipped on my Silverado. At 65k they just scraped by NH inspection.

    I know, I know.. that's rural commuter miles.
    My K02's have 22k on them, and Ill be lucky to get 3k more to make it to 25k :o

    I don't go peeling out everywhere, but horsepower does have a direct effect on tire life,

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #956
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,402

    Re: Let's talk trucks


    0 Not allowed!

  7. #957
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Itís a 50k warranted tire. Did they pay up if you burned through them in 30?
    No. I did get Nissan to split the cost of a set of tires once when my Titan had smoked them at about 18k. I am vigilant on pressure and rotations, but I drive my trucks like the rental heaps they are which probably doesn't help.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #958
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,645

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Im feeling red letter grabbers...


    4 Not allowed!

  9. #959
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    9,304

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's awful for a truck tire. Is it indicative of tread wear?

    I'm about to clear 70k on the meh stock Wrangler SR what-evers that shipped on my Silverado. At 65k they just scraped by NH inspection.

    I know, I know.. that's rural commuter miles.
    So how many tires have you ever returned on treadwear warranty? It’s bullshit. Road hazard is much more important.

    The Rotiivas have the Mountain/Snowflake severe snow rating. There are a few other light truck tires that do as well. Seems worth it to avoid the changeover. Most light truck tires are decent in snow when new, it’s once they wear that tells the tale.

    0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

  10. #960
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,402

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Zero. As I say, I've been very pleased with the tread wear I've seen from the tires I've put on trucks. I've always gotten about what the warranty was good for. More or less.
    Again, as I say, I thought that was just how pickup and SUV tires worked. I'm pretty shocked that folks are getting <30k miles out of a quality tire like the BFG AT. That sucks.

    I've been lucky with road hazards. I self insure in that respect. One of these days I'll have a tire so bad it can't be patched and have to eat it. Life's like that. ... But that's got nothing to do with the tire itself.

    If buying Nokias only gets you 40k/set, I'm out. Although you got me to google 'em. At least they are cheap to buy. Looks like ~$120/corner for my Silverado. Solid 30-40% cheaper than what I'd had in mind.

    Wrangler SR's were good 'nuf for me in the snow. Pop the truck in AWD mode and she's good to go. At least by my standards. Everyone I talk to says the Michelins are even mo' bettah. Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 07-11-18 at 08:15 AM.

  11. #961
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,645

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Zero. As I say, I've been very pleased with the tread wear I've seen from the tires I've put on trucks. I've always gotten about what the warranty was good for. More or less.
    Again, as I say, I thought that was just how pickup and SUV tires worked. I'm pretty shocked that folks are getting <30k miles out of a quality tire like the BFG AT. That sucks.

    I've been lucky with road hazards. I self insure in that respect. One of these days I'll have a tire so bad it can't be patched and have to eat it. Life's like that. ... But that's got nothing to do with the tire itself.

    If buying Nokias only gets you 40k/set, I'm out. Although you got me to google 'em. At least they are cheap to buy. Looks like ~$120/corner for my Silverado. Solid 30-40% cheaper than what I'd had in mind.

    Wrangler SR's were good 'nuf for me in the snow. Pop the truck in AWD mode and she's good to go. At least by my standards. Everyone I talk to says the Michelins are even mo' bettah. Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.
    Yeah, at $250+ per tire, I expected more life as well. ~25k miles is more sports car numbers, not truck numbers on tires with like an inch of tread...

    hence me asking for better options

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 07-11-18 at 08:45 AM.

  12. #962
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    9,304

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    //Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.
    M+S is different. It is not a performance requirement. If 25% or more of the tread is open, the manufacturer can throw M+S on it.

    Severe Snow / Mountain rating

    If tire manufacturers could put the severe snow rating icon on their All Season tires, they would. They can’t, because they don’t pass the standard. Most pickup truck drivers give zero fucks.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-11-18 at 07:27 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

  13. #963
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    15,402

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Most pickup truck drivers give zero fucks.
    It's true, me included. Most of these tires are more than good 'nuf for 98% of the conditions I see. Plow crews in my area do an outstanding job.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd rather invest in dedicated 'severe whatever' snows on a second set of wheels and have the crews lighten up on the salting. But that ain't gonna happen. So, yeah, not a huge selling point for me. I'm sure most other central and southern New England drivers are similar.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #964
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It's true, me included. Most of these tires are more than good 'nuf for 98% of the conditions I see. Plow crews in my area do an outstanding job.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd rather invest in dedicated 'severe whatever' snows on a second set of wheels and have the crews lighten up on the salting. But that ain't gonna happen. So, yeah, not a huge selling point for me. I'm sure most other central and southern New England drivers are similar.
    True. Even those of us who get a more substantial winter don't struggle with the stock tires. If you can't get around in 4wd with tires that aren't bald you are doing something wrong. I'll take a quiet tire all day long over some fancy snow rating.

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #965
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,179

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    My road doesn't care about your 4WD, if you're not on dedicated snows, you're going to have a bad time, truck or no truck. Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...

    3 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  16. #966
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,769

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...
    This. It's pretty puckering to be able to accelerate "normally" yet get instant ABS when you touch the brakes or terminal understeer when you try to turn.

    That said my truck still stays on all seasons. The car gets snows though.

    0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  17. #967
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    My road doesn't care about your 4WD, if you're not on dedicated snows, you're going to have a bad time, truck or no truck. Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...
    I'm sure your road is way gnarlier than anything we might encounter up around Rangeley, or in the woods around Sugarloaf...

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #968
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,701

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    I was leery about any significant advantage to real snows, till I purchased a set of Hakkapeliittas, sure, I can get there without them, but not with the confidence and safety of a tire made for the conditions

    It was even more apparent when I went darkside and discovered that mountain & snowflake tire would let me go places on a motorcycle that most people have a hard time in a cage that doesn't have similar tires

    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  19. #969
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,179

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I'm sure your road is way gnarlier than anything we might encounter up around Rangeley, or in the woods around Sugarloaf...
    There are times in winter where I'm not getting a vehicle up or down my road without winches. The most frustrating part is my house is nearly at the top, so I can see dry paved road going by but can't get to it...

    0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  20. #970
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Augusta
    Posts
    1,567

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    There are times in winter where I'm not getting a vehicle up or down my road without winches. The most frustrating part is my house is nearly at the top, so I can see dry paved road going by but can't get to it...
    Yeah, I can see that. Private road I assume? Nothing some radiant heat can't fix, just break out your checkbook!

    0 Not allowed!

  21. #971
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,769

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Nothing some radiant heat can't fix, just break out your checkbook!
    Or buy a Unimog

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-12-18 at 12:25 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

  22. #972

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Damn...when I lived in MA the “need” for 4wd was BS...front drive snows on a corolla and a shovel with relatively plowed roads...but living in the burbs was not a long driveway uphill needing a winch

    1 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

  23. #973
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,179

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Damn...when I lived in MA the “need” for 4wd was BS...front drive snows on a corolla and a shovel with relatively plowed roads...but living in the burbs was not a long driveway uphill needing a winch
    Welcome to the woods. My house has two 275 gallon oil tanks for a reason.

    0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  24. #974
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,645

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I'm sure your road is way gnarlier than anything we might encounter up around Rangeley, or in the woods around Sugarloaf...
    shiiiiit, my dirt road is 8% grade and you cant make it up in 2wd most of the winter

    0 Not allowed!

  25. #975
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,179

    Re: Let's talk trucks

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    shiiiiit, my dirt road is 8% grade and you cant make it up in 2wd most of the winter
    Last winter sucked for that, snow that turned to rain, then cold snap. Welcome to the icecapades!

    1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •