Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's awful for a truck tire. Is it indicative of tread wear?

I'm about to clear 70k on the meh stock Wrangler SR what-evers that shipped on my Silverado. At 65k they just scraped by NH inspection.

I know, I know.. that's rural commuter miles.
    That is fucking impressive! I renew my truck every 3 years and only twice have the tires made it to 30k miles. Maybe youíre a tire conserving wizard??

0 Not allowed!

It’s a 50k warranted tire. Did they pay up if you burned through them in 30?
    I just drive the damned things. I aim to keep the tpms display reading 38 per corner. I’m not even religious about rotating like I used to be.

I got >60k from both sets of bfg ats I had on my ranger. I thought that was just how pickup tires worked.

I did burn up a set of firestones on my first 2wd ranger way back when. That was a really shitty tire though.

0 Not allowed!

I can see long tire life on something like a Ranger. 70k out of something much heavier is damned impressive.

I suspect the large amount of highway driving with a lighter foot contributes greatly.

I'll be thrilled to get 40k on the set on my truck. I like booting deep into the power too much though. They break free pretty easy as soon as she spools up into beast mode.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-10-18 at 07:43 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I’m at 50k on my Michelin’s on the Tacoma... and I got them used. Still enough tread to pass inspection, but won’t be enough for snow this winter.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'm about to clear 70k on the meh stock Wrangler SR what-evers that shipped on my Silverado. At 65k they just scraped by NH inspection.

My K02's have 22k on them, and Ill be lucky to get 3k more to make it to 25k :o

I don't go peeling out everywhere, but horsepower does have a direct effect on tire life,

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Itís a 50k warranted tire. Did they pay up if you burned through them in 30?
    No. I did get Nissan to split the cost of a set of tires once when my Titan had smoked them at about 18k. I am vigilant on pressure and rotations, but I drive my trucks like the rental heaps they are which probably doesn't help.

0 Not allowed!

Im feeling red letter grabbers...

4 Not allowed!

So how many tires have you ever returned on treadwear warranty? It’s bullshit. Road hazard is much more important.

The Rotiivas have the Mountain/Snowflake severe snow rating. There are a few other light truck tires that do as well. Seems worth it to avoid the changeover. Most light truck tires are decent in snow when new, it’s once they wear that tells the tale.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Zero. As I say, I've been very pleased with the tread wear I've seen from the tires I've put on trucks. I've always gotten about what the warranty was good for. More or less.
    Again, as I say, I thought that was just how pickup and SUV tires worked. I'm pretty shocked that folks are getting <30k miles out of a quality tire like the BFG AT. That sucks.

I've been lucky with road hazards. I self insure in that respect. One of these days I'll have a tire so bad it can't be patched and have to eat it. Life's like that. ... But that's got nothing to do with the tire itself.

If buying Nokias only gets you 40k/set, I'm out. Although you got me to google 'em. At least they are cheap to buy. Looks like ~$120/corner for my Silverado. Solid 30-40% cheaper than what I'd had in mind.

Wrangler SR's were good 'nuf for me in the snow. Pop the truck in AWD mode and she's good to go. At least by my standards. Everyone I talk to says the Michelins are even mo' bettah. Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 07-11-18 at 08:15 AM.

Zero. As I say, I've been very pleased with the tread wear I've seen from the tires I've put on trucks. I've always gotten about what the warranty was good for. More or less.
    Again, as I say, I thought that was just how pickup and SUV tires worked. I'm pretty shocked that folks are getting <30k miles out of a quality tire like the BFG AT. That sucks.

I've been lucky with road hazards. I self insure in that respect. One of these days I'll have a tire so bad it can't be patched and have to eat it. Life's like that. ... But that's got nothing to do with the tire itself.

If buying Nokias only gets you 40k/set, I'm out. Although you got me to google 'em. At least they are cheap to buy. Looks like ~$120/corner for my Silverado. Solid 30-40% cheaper than what I'd had in mind.

Wrangler SR's were good 'nuf for me in the snow. Pop the truck in AWD mode and she's good to go. At least by my standards. Everyone I talk to says the Michelins are even mo' bettah. Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.
    Yeah, at $250+ per tire, I expected more life as well. ~25k miles is more sports car numbers, not truck numbers on tires with like an inch of tread...

hence me asking for better options

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 07-11-18 at 08:45 AM.

//Defender LTX has your M&S stamp (derp, they don't) and a 70k tread wear warranty. Seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm not a fan of cheaping out on tires. As with everything, YMMV.
    M+S is different. It is not a performance requirement. If 25% or more of the tread is open, the manufacturer can throw M+S on it.

Severe Snow / Mountain rating

If tire manufacturers could put the severe snow rating icon on their All Season tires, they would. They can’t, because they don’t pass the standard. Most pickup truck drivers give zero fucks.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-11-18 at 07:27 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Most pickup truck drivers give zero fucks.
    It's true, me included. Most of these tires are more than good 'nuf for 98% of the conditions I see. Plow crews in my area do an outstanding job.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd rather invest in dedicated 'severe whatever' snows on a second set of wheels and have the crews lighten up on the salting. But that ain't gonna happen. So, yeah, not a huge selling point for me. I'm sure most other central and southern New England drivers are similar.

0 Not allowed!

It's true, me included. Most of these tires are more than good 'nuf for 98% of the conditions I see. Plow crews in my area do an outstanding job.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd rather invest in dedicated 'severe whatever' snows on a second set of wheels and have the crews lighten up on the salting. But that ain't gonna happen. So, yeah, not a huge selling point for me. I'm sure most other central and southern New England drivers are similar.
    True. Even those of us who get a more substantial winter don't struggle with the stock tires. If you can't get around in 4wd with tires that aren't bald you are doing something wrong. I'll take a quiet tire all day long over some fancy snow rating.

0 Not allowed!

My road doesn't care about your 4WD, if you're not on dedicated snows, you're going to have a bad time, truck or no truck. Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...

3 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...
    This. It's pretty puckering to be able to accelerate "normally" yet get instant ABS when you touch the brakes or terminal understeer when you try to turn.

That said my truck still stays on all seasons. The car gets snows though.

0 Not allowed!

My road doesn't care about your 4WD, if you're not on dedicated snows, you're going to have a bad time, truck or no truck. Also, four wheel go doesn't mean four wheel stop...
    I'm sure your road is way gnarlier than anything we might encounter up around Rangeley, or in the woods around Sugarloaf...

0 Not allowed!

I was leery about any significant advantage to real snows, till I purchased a set of Hakkapeliittas, sure, I can get there without them, but not with the confidence and safety of a tire made for the conditions

It was even more apparent when I went darkside and discovered that mountain & snowflake tire would let me go places on a motorcycle that most people have a hard time in a cage that doesn't have similar tires

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I'm sure your road is way gnarlier than anything we might encounter up around Rangeley, or in the woods around Sugarloaf...
    There are times in winter where I'm not getting a vehicle up or down my road without winches. The most frustrating part is my house is nearly at the top, so I can see dry paved road going by but can't get to it...

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

There are times in winter where I'm not getting a vehicle up or down my road without winches. The most frustrating part is my house is nearly at the top, so I can see dry paved road going by but can't get to it...
    Yeah, I can see that. Private road I assume? Nothing some radiant heat can't fix, just break out your checkbook!

0 Not allowed!

Nothing some radiant heat can't fix, just break out your checkbook!
    Or buy a Unimog

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-12-18 at 12:25 PM.

Damn...when I lived in MA the “need” for 4wd was BS...front drive snows on a corolla and a shovel with relatively plowed roads...but living in the burbs was not a long driveway uphill needing a winch

1 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Damn...when I lived in MA the “need” for 4wd was BS...front drive snows on a corolla and a shovel with relatively plowed roads...but living in the burbs was not a long driveway uphill needing a winch
    Welcome to the woods. My house has two 275 gallon oil tanks for a reason.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook

shiiiiit, my dirt road is 8% grade and you cant make it up in 2wd most of the winter

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    shiiiiit, my dirt road is 8% grade and you cant make it up in 2wd most of the winter
    Last winter sucked for that, snow that turned to rain, then cold snap. Welcome to the icecapades!

1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook