Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 72737383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1201

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Big thrusting front end for America

1 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Holy fuck, that's hideous.

FWIW, I just bought a truck. 04 Dakota club cab, V8. 106k, zero rust. This thing is bizarrely preserved. For the money I saved over a Fugly new truck, I'll gladly eat the gas cost.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    For the money I saved over a Fugly new truck, I'll gladly eat the gas cost.
    same...'01 F150 bi-fuel (cng or gasoline)...grossly unimpressive truck, but does the job and I won't lose $30,000 on depreciation

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-04-18 at 08:44 PM.
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke ** 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Busa ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

We always knew you were bi...

2 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The new Ram wins the best looking new truck. I will keep my 2010 F150 as the price of new rides are crazy. And man that Chevy is ugly....

1 Not allowed!

So what's the perfect truck available today? The options are pretty overwhelming. Especially when you have the ability to buy new, or something older to buy outright and avoid payments on a vehicle that won't be a daily driver.

I keep asking myself these main questions:

- What do I really need feature wise? (7k lbs towing minimum for future trailer expansion, comfortable space, gadgets/tech?)
    - Does it or can it serve multiple purposes aside from my track hauler? Future overland vehicle? Future family friendly?
    - Does it make sense to have payments for a non-primary use vehicle right now?
    - On the flip side, do I really want to deal with very used again at this point? From what I see used trucks especially are beat to hell.

I almost settled on a new Tacoma. Then I started really looking at it, and I feel like they compromise on space being so limited. If I'm going to get a truck, why not a GMC, Ford, or Chevy? Or even a Tundra? Dodge was on the list until my buddy had first hand experience with complete drivetrain failure on the previous gen at low miles.

My ideal older option by research was a 2004 - 2008 4runner v8 LTD, if I could find one in great condition without 220k+ miles. Specs wise seems legit, 7300lbs towing, can upgrade with CarPlay and a backup camera. But still, these are getting on in years... I really want to avoid a headache or additional financial costs of maintaining an older vehicle.

Gas mileage is less of a nitpick, unless it is in the teens unladen. Partially avoiding the Tundra for that reason.

0 Not allowed!
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    2007 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Teens unladen. That would eliminate about anything that isn't but a year or two old. The only thing older than that which will get a bit better than 20 is something like a Ridgeline, in real world operation. If this isn't a primary vehicle, is mileage really have that big of a factor?

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Loudbeard/Iglu question - if truck rentals are available to me at like $60/day, and I only use a truck 1-2 times a month lately for dirty - ditch truck and just rent it?

EDIT:
    ----------------------------------
    current Turo.com rates
    -06 Tacoma 2wd/reg cab: $37
    -08 Ranger/ex cab: $40
    -10 Tundra/reg cab: $42
    -18 Tacoma/ex cab 35" tires: $45
    -18 Tundra/4 door: $45
    current kayak.com rate
    -18 Ram or equivalent: $35

I'd have to go 22+ times/year to break even

add depreciation/200k+ mile repairs, & I'd have to maybe go like 60 times/year to break even

seriously thinking for 2019/2020:
    -Ninja 500R/surf rack
    -plated YZ250
    -bicycle
    -rent truck (contractor can use his for renovations anyways)
    -uber

plan is to move close enough to work that I can bicycle 2-3 days/week, use the 500R 2-3 days/week (top case for groceries, surf rack for board), and uber if it rains bad. Let the contractor use his trucks for the big renovation duties. 2 dirty dual sport spots within 17-28 minute ride from the parking spot

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-04-19 at 10:58 PM.
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Teens unladen. That would eliminate about anything that isn't but a year or two old. The only thing older than that which will get a bit better than 20 is something like a Ridgeline, in real world operation. If this isn't a primary vehicle, is mileage really have that big of a factor?
    Good point, as mentioned it is less of a focus when buying something for hauling purposes. I just read something like real world numbers, a Tundra gets 12mpg unloaded around town. Obviously the more mpg while still reaching functional goals, the better though.

0 Not allowed!

My '15 gmc 1500 with the 6.2 gas motor regularly got over 20 in normal driving, as does my current '17 2500 with the Duramax. I think the Ford 150's with the eco boost get a little better too.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Loudbeard/Iglu question - if truck rentals are available to me at like $60/day, and I only use a truck 1-2 times a month lately for dirty - ditch truck and just rent it?
    Yes.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I don’t see him finding anything that isn’t a full-size for hauling over 7k lbs.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    So what's the perfect truck available today? The options are pretty overwhelming. Especially when you have the ability to buy new, or something older to buy outright and avoid payments on a vehicle that won't be a daily driver.

I keep asking myself these main questions:

- What do I really need feature wise? (7k lbs towing minimum for future trailer expansion, comfortable space, gadgets/tech?)
    - Does it or can it serve multiple purposes aside from my track hauler? Future overland vehicle? Future family friendly?

My ideal older option by research was a 2004 - 2008 4runner v8 LTD, if I could find one in great condition without 220k+ miles. Specs wise seems legit, 7300lbs towing, can upgrade with CarPlay and a backup camera. But still, these are getting on in years... I really want to avoid a headache or additional financial costs of maintaining an older vehicle.

Gas mileage is less of a nitpick, unless it is in the teens unladen. Partially avoiding the Tundra for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I donít see him finding anything that isnít a full-size for hauling over 7k lbs.
    Was having a similar discussion with a friend recently, and I like to recommend "outside the box" options, so if a 4runner is an option I'll recommend the same vehicle to you:

Porsche Cayenne, either the base V6 model (obviously cheaper) or the V8 model, both have the same towing specs

Let's talk trucks-pcartow-jpg

7,700 Lbs towing capacity, high teens mileage, more fun to drive, not to mention "BALLER" status while towing Obviously a bit more $$ than a 4runner, but considering the fairly insane $$$ people ask for used Toyotas, maybe not as bad as you would expect Late model 1st Gen (2008-2010) or early 2nd Gen (2011-2013) depending on budget, quick search found 5 1st Gen under 100K/under$14k...just my $0.02

0 Not allowed!

The only thing older than that which will get a bit better than 20 is something like a Ridgeline, in real world operation.
    I've gotten 20 once, while driving 5 hrs through a snow storm. 50 mph on the highway. Otherwise, 17. 2007 RTL

0 Not allowed!

It's funny the Porsche comes up since a friend I met at the track rocked the Cayenne. I chalked it up to a bougey grocery getter, then he mentioned the 7700lbs towing capacity and that he would haul several bikes to the dragon yearly. And it is nice inside and well enough out, of course, it's a Porsche. Kind of ticks all the boxes in my case.

One thing I failed to mention is light track duty, I'd love to be able to load up the bare minimum and a mini or supermoto for a quick kart track escape that is nearby, which I figured the truck was needed for. But as long as the tongue weight capacity is there, I'm not opposed to a versahaul style rack.

I stopped short of researching the Porsche further because I just had to assume that both insurance and anything going wrong on the thing would be too costly. Maybe I'll revisit looking at options.

0 Not allowed!

It's funny the Porsche comes up since a friend I met at the track rocked the Cayenne. I chalked it up to a bougey grocery getter, then he mentioned the 7700lbs towing capacity and that he would haul several bikes to the dragon yearly. And it is nice inside and well enough out, of course, it's a Porsche. Kind of ticks all the boxes in my case.

One thing I failed to mention is light track duty, I'd love to be able to load up the bare minimum and a mini or supermoto for a quick kart track escape that is nearby, which I figured the truck was needed for. But as long as the tongue weight capacity is there, I'm not opposed to a versahaul style rack.

I stopped short of researching the Porsche further because I just had to assume that both insurance and anything going wrong on the thing would be too costly. Maybe I'll revisit looking at options.
    Get an insurance quote on the Cayenne. I think you'll be presently surprised...

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Cayenne is very similar to the Touareg and the Q7. The Cayenne has better suspension than the other two, both in comfort and sport, imho. The Q7 is a bit elongated than the other two. If you want good mileage and don't mind spending the extra $$, find a Cayenne Diesel.

BTW, if you take it easy on the loud pedal of the Tundra, they get 16-17 all day. The bad thing is they don't get great mileage, the good thing is they don't get great mileage for a very long time.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    If I were living your life, I would just be on two wheels every day. How often does it rain in SoCal, 3 times a year? Definitely just rent the truck.

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lexus GX460. It's a slightly bigger 4runner. and for the money your going to pay of a 4ruuner. minds well drive the lexus. towing is either 6800 or 7000ish lbs. its a lazy v8 that isnt stressed. so it runs for ever. full time 4wd though so gas mileage aint the best. but i can get 18-19 on a trip with 4 dudes to portland from ct doing 75-85.

1 Not allowed!

- Does it or can it serve multiple purposes aside from my track hauler? Future overland vehicle?
    Vehicles I don't think of when the word "overland" is used:

Porsche anything
    All current pickup trucks

I have a softspot for the particular range of 4R's you mentioned and I've said it a bunch of times on here.....I wish I held onto my 2005 V8.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Lexus GX460. It's a slightly bigger 4runner. and for the money your going to pay of a 4ruuner. minds well drive the lexus. towing is either 6800 or 7000ish lbs. its a lazy v8 that isnt stressed. so it runs for ever. full time 4wd though so gas mileage aint the best. but i can get 18-19 on a trip with 4 dudes to portland from ct doing 75-85.
    Those are heavy on price. From his "maybe a vehicle without payments" mention, I'm betting he's looking for a cheaper alternative.

Not saying they aren't sweet and all, but $35k for a 50k mile second vehicle is probably not what he's shootin for. He'll correct me if I'm off base I'm sure.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Not to mention the 4.6 is really a better engine than the older 4.7.

Just mortgage the house and get a G-wagon.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Those are heavy on price. From his "maybe a vehicle without payments" mention, I'm betting he's looking for a cheaper alternative.

Not saying they aren't sweet and all, but $35k for a 50k mile second vehicle is probably not what he's shootin for. He'll correct me if I'm off base I'm sure.
    Yeah those are pricey looking spaceships. True if I were to drop that kind of coin, I'm more inclined to shell out a bit more for a "real truck."

Seen some 4runner V8s that look decent for 5.5-7k over the last few months. They don't sit for sale very long though. Very rare to see them under 180-200k miles.

Wonder if anyone here has any thoughts or experience with the '19 Silverado 1500? LT Z71 trim looks like 10k towing capacity with lots of features and gadgetry... at 46k.

0 Not allowed!

not going to go wrong with any new truck. how many miles a year you planning on driving? as i would consider a lease a one as they they tend to be stupid cheap as long as you stick with the double cab and not the crew cab.

I am talking clearly from a payment standpoint. 46k truck plus taxes and fees your at 49Kish. If you were financing most of that 900-1000 bucks monthly. versus you can walk out with the same truck on a lease and be WELL under that.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 02-05-19 at 01:16 PM.

I had a ‘15 LT Z71 with the 5.3L and 6AT. Loved it. Routinely got low 20’s on the highway.

It was a bitch to park. Wife hated driving it. We needed a bigger vehicle for her and decided to get her a minivan and give me the sedan she had. Van tows all I really need. Not quite as convenient at the home center. But it is more comfortable for the family and wife likes driving it.

But the 14+ Silverado is a winner. I would not go any older as I think that 2014 redesign was well worth it.

0 Not allowed!