Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16364647484950515253545556
Results 1,376 to 1,386 of 1386

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

New Tundra coming next year will supposedly have a twin turbo V6. I hope they actually make a truck V6 and just not strap twin twirlers on their standard 3.5. I can't imagine Toyota doing that, but given the R&D and updates they give the Tundra, hard to tell. If you want a truck to do truck stuff, the Tundra is hard to beat. If you want fluff with your truck stuff, F150 is hard to beat. I've never been huge on Toyota interiors, but the Tundra suffices for my needs, not my wants, but my needs.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

yeah, but how does it SOUND?

2 Not allowed!

better than a Prius...

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Chirpin gears and pullin brodies

0 Not allowed!

I'm astounded at how capable these new 1/2 ton trucks are now. I don't have to wonder if I'd be satisfied with "just" the 5.3l anymore. Truck was pretty much maxxed out weight wise and it took it like a champ.
    Let's talk trucks-truck-jpg

4 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I'm astounded at how capable these new 1/2 ton trucks are now. I don't have to wonder if I'd be satisfied with "just" the 5.3l anymore. Truck was pretty much maxxed out weight wise and it took it like a champ.
    Let's talk trucks-truck-jpg
    Hey I know that truck

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Anyone actually spent any time in one of the new bowtie half tons? You know, after the "let's ditch the dated early 2000's styling and make it so half of America thinks it's ugly as hell" change for 2019. Their market share has lost ground to Dodge, so perhaps they are looking to sell them for a more reasonable amount later this year.

Was considering an F-150 with the 3.5l twin whistlers until I started reading numerous horror stories about that 10 speed trans. And a LOT of super low mileage 1 or 2 year old ones that have been traded in at other brands' dealerships.

I might know a thing or 2 about the new Chevy Silverado... hit me up with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    9-10k lbs
    That's a big ask of a half ton. It'll do it... but I wouldn't do it on the regular.

Chevy with a 5.3l gives you 9700# tow rating. You can get higher with the 6.2l and the right configuration. But 10klbs is never fun in a half ton.

1 Not allowed!

This weekend @ the local home center I watched a couple guys having a pallet of cinder blocks loaded into the back of their GM half-ton.
    I haven't seen tires bulge that badly in a while. I got the hell out of there as I wanted to be on the road ahead of those fools. Wondering how far (or if) they made it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post

That's a big ask of a half ton. It'll do it... but I wouldn't do it on the regular.

Chevy with a 5.3l gives you 9700# tow rating. You can get higher with the 6.2l and the right configuration. But 10klbs is never fun in a half ton.
    After towing close to that with the 5.3l I concur. It will do it and be acceptable, but I wouldn't be comfortable pulling that on the regular. I'm not really sure the 6.2 would make a difference either. The drama from towing that weight with a "small" truck isn't from lack of power. Yeah, more power is always nice, but the truck did what I thought was acceptable given the work load and I never had it pinned and thinking, fuck me, this thing NEEDS more. I hauled up and over Franconia notch too. Out west with longer and more frequent steep grades, sure, more power would come in handy. Out here, it's more want vs. need in my mind. The truck still pulled grades better then the 98 K1500 I had with just a car on the trailer.

I also normally tow with a tuned diesel that barely knows there's a car back there so I've been pretty spoiled in the power dept. I was still quite satisfied with the 5.3L.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    This weekend @ the local home center I watched a couple guys having a pallet of cinder blocks loaded into the back of their GM half-ton.
    I haven't seen tires bulge that badly in a while. I got the hell out of there as I wanted to be on the road ahead of those fools. Wondering how far (or if) they made it.
    Interesting. I wonder what that weighed. Payload is 1800+ on them. I was loaded pretty close to the limits all around and the tires weren't bulging. Pressures were set correctly though.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-15-19 at 10:07 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

2019 with 5.3

Max Payload
    (lb. / kg):
    REGULAR CAB
    2280 / 1034 (2WD)
    2160 / 980 (4WD)
    DOUBLE CAB
    2190 / 993 (2WD)
    2180 / 989 (4WD)
    CREW CAB
    2180 / 989 (2WD)
    2130 / 966 (4WD)

0 Not allowed!

As noted there is so much more to pulling and carrying a heavy load than motor. Tires, suspension, and brakes are key as is the weight of the tow rig.
    10 ply tires and air bags can help a lot but for every day heavy haul the 1 ton pickups will be happier day in and day out.
    My Tundra does pretty well with 40 PSI in the bags and 10 ply tires for most things. Not sure I would want a steady diet of 9K though.

That said today's 1/2 ton trucks are so much more capable than those of yesteryear. I remember my 1990 F150 with 150HP and puny brakes was pretty entertaining with a 5k pound load in tow. Yikes.

0 Not allowed!