Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1151718182838485868788899091
Results 2,251 to 2,272 of 2272

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Pffff. I’ve seen 50k markup on broncos. $99k. Fucking insane
    If someone gave me a bronco for free I’d trade it in and get pretty much anything else at the ford dealership. People are nuts.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    If someone gave me a bronco for free I’d trade it in and get pretty much anything else at the ford dealership. People are nuts.
    I'd trade it in at a Chevy dealer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

So after putting this off forever, I finally sucked it up and tackled it. I will say I don't think this is really a job for your standard shadetree mechanic. I did have to buy a new digital torque wrench with torque as well as angle. It was a real blind knuckle buster of a job that needed lots of extensions, swivels, and multiple drive sizes per socket. It took me 12 ish hours, but thats an estimate as I did it over the course of a week and I also cleaned the air filter and changed the front diff fluid.

SO here is the start, getting my tools and parts laid out. The job actually has to be done on the ground because you can have the axles droop.

Started by draining the oil and removing the filter

The stock POS plastic oil pan covered in leaky oil and dirt. This made for a VERY messy/oily job.

Next you have to remove the front axle bolts and lower the front axles as much as possible to get to the oil pan bolts. The plastic oil pan comes out first.

Here it is with quite a bit of sealant on it from its second dealer replacement (this job is putting a FOURTH oil pan in this truck, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself)

Here is the plastic pan vs the new metal pan (as well as the new oil pickup) the visual difference is because the block stiffener hasn't been removed yet.

Now here is the plastic pan with the old stiffener

Here is the underside of the motor with the pan, stiffener, and oil pickup removed. The sealing surfaces need to be cleaned of all old sealant and oil.

Here are the surfaces all shined up. It is ridiculous how many sealing surfaces there are for this thing with angles and seams.... Seems like a bad design to me, but what do I know.

I numbered the torque pattern as this part is critical. Once you get the sealant on, you have 1 minute to wiggle the pan up into a spot where it barely fits, without wiping off your sealant bead, then you have 4 minutes to get the corner bolts hand tight, then you have 1 hour to get the pattern with 177 in/lbs followed up by 45 degrees, then torque the 3 bellhousing bolts, then the 4 front bolts. Of courser about half the bolts are difficult to get to.

Then here it is all bolted in!

All you have to do now is reinstall the intake piping, the front axles, the skid plates, fill it with oil and cross your fingers.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    So after putting this off forever, I finally sucked it up and tackled it. I will say I don't think this is really a job for your standard shadetree mechanic. I did have to buy a new digital torque wrench with torque as well as angle. It was a real blind knuckle buster of a job that needed lots of extensions, swivels, and multiple drive sizes per socket. It took me 12 ish hours, but thats an estimate as I did it over the course of a week and I also cleaned the air filter and changed the front diff fluid.

SO here is the start, getting my tools and parts laid out. The job actually has to be done on the ground because you can have the axles droop.

Started by draining the oil and removing the filter

The stock POS plastic oil pan covered in leaky oil and dirt. This made for a VERY messy/oily job.

Next you have to remove the front axle bolts and lower the front axles as much as possible to get to the oil pan bolts. The plastic oil pan comes out first.

Here it is with quite a bit of sealant on it from its second dealer replacement (this job is putting a FOURTH oil pan in this truck, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself)

Here is the plastic pan vs the new metal pan (as well as the new oil pickup) the visual difference is because the block stiffener hasn't been removed yet.

Now here is the plastic pan with the old stiffener

Here is the underside of the motor with the pan, stiffener, and oil pickup removed. The sealing surfaces need to be cleaned of all old sealant and oil.

Here are the surfaces all shined up. It is ridiculous how many sealing surfaces there are for this thing with angles and seams.... Seems like a bad design to me, but what do I know.

I numbered the torque pattern as this part is critical. Once you get the sealant on, you have 1 minute to wiggle the pan up into a spot where it barely fits, without wiping off your sealant bead, then you have 4 minutes to get the corner bolts hand tight, then you have 1 hour to get the pattern with 177 in/lbs followed up by 45 degrees, then torque the 3 bellhousing bolts, then the 4 front bolts. Of courser about half the bolts are difficult to get to.

Then here it is all bolted in!

All you have to do now is reinstall the intake piping, the front axles, the skid plates, fill it with oil and cross your fingers.
    Heart of a damn lion you got there. I'm paying for that job to get done, or lighting the truck on fire.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Heart of a damn lion you got there. I'm paying for that job to get done, or lighting the truck on fire.
    it was a real C U Next Tuesday

You say pay to get it done.... But I had it replaced twice under warranty and it is now out of warranty, and ford wanted me to pay them to put in a fourth plastic pan, and I said fuck you. I called the manager, I called ford corporate, they all told me to pound sand. 2017 to 2018.5 had the plastic pan and there were issues with it, 2018.5+ they went back to a metal pan. I had to buy the metal pan and fix it my damn self. If you want something done right....

You say pay to get it done.... But I had it replaced twice under warranty and it is now out of warranty, and ford wanted me to pay them to put in a fourth plastic pan, and I said fuck you. I called the manager, I called ford corporate, they all told me to pound sand. 2017 to 2018.5 had the plastic pan and there were issues with it, 2018.5+ they went back to a metal pan. I had to buy the metal pan and fix it my damn self. If you want something done right....
    I'm saying I'd have paid a 3rd party on that install. Too much stress for me with those time frames haha

-Alex

Let's talk trucks-25117-jpg

It took a little while, but I just picked up my new truck Tuesday morning. Pretty big leap forward, looking forward to running it some time next month. I'm pretty fortunate, this one is fairly loaded with options.
    Ordering the cab chassis is reasonably straight forward. The back half of the truck is a completely different story. I'm hoping it holds up well, 15 years is usually the lifespan for one of our trucks. It should take me to retirement.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My garage has a 24' ceiling.. want to bring that bad boy over and help me change a couple of fluorescent bulbs?!

But seriously, congrats on the purchase!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post

It took a little while, but I just picked up my new truck Tuesday morning. Pretty big leap forward, looking forward to running it some time next month. I'm pretty fortunate, this one is fairly loaded with options.
    Ordering the cab chassis is reasonably straight forward. The back half of the truck is a completely different story. I'm hoping it holds up well, 15 years is usually the lifespan for one of our trucks. It should take me to retirement.
    Hopefully they're not built like fire trucks haha. Supposed to last 15, fall apart before 10 use them till 20.

Thanks for what you guys do. When people don't know what to do they call us, when we don't know what to do we call you and the gas company.

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Hopefully they're not built like fire trucks haha. Supposed to last 15, fall apart before 10 use them till 20.

Thanks for what you guys do. When people don't know what to do they call us, when we don't know what to do we call you and the gas company.
    Thanks! We work pretty closely with the FD and have been bailed out by you guys more than once. My current truck is 23 years old and very tired, but not a complete shitbox yet. The new one is built better in many ways so I'm hopeful. We are seeing issues with the emissions systems in our new trucks. Seems pretty safe to say this one will have problems at some point.

Thanks! We work pretty closely with the FD and have been bailed out by you guys more than once. My current truck is 23 years old and very tired, but not a complete shitbox yet. The new one is built better in many ways so I'm hopeful. We are seeing issues with the emissions systems in our new trucks. Seems pretty safe to say this one will have problems at some point.
    New emissions are the devil, but not as bad as the shit they had in between the DEF systems and nothing. It would recirc exhaust into the intake through a tiny filter that was cooled with coolant. Fucking nightmare.

-Alex

New stuff is always nice! What motor?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    New stuff is always nice! What motor?
    It's a Cummins. Either 330 or 350 horse, I forget which. It's a complete dog on the highway, I think there's something wrong with it right now. It has to go back to international anyway, I'm hoping they can sort it out.

It's a Cummins. Either 330 or 350 horse, I forget which. It's a complete dog on the highway, I think there's something wrong with it right now. It has to go back to international anyway, I'm hoping they can sort it out.
    '

I feel your pain. The 2020 truck at work has the smallest Cummins L9 in it. 0-10 feels nice and then it falls on it's face. It will eventually pull to the governor but it feels like everything under the sun will beat it there. The older trucks all have Cats in them and they just keep pulling and pulling. Sound way better too.

No emissions issues in the newer truck, but it only has something like 25k on it.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I think the 2.7 Bronco engine uses a plastic pan too ��

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I think the 2.7 Bronco engine uses a plastic pan too ��
    It's horseshit

Next I go in for the cam phasor recall...

Welp, my Tundra has an electrical issue of some kind that's causing all the lighting to brownout. It affects the starter function as well.

Here's to hoping it's a failed ignition switch

I'm at the halfway point of swapping my rear axle housing which finally rusted through on the (T)rusty old Tacoma.

Rear diff is in surprisingly great condition.

The amount of rust on everything back there is astounding, especially considering the frame/etc is less than 10 years old. Even with me undercoating it and spray painting it a while back when I had the bed off.

Rust never stops. EVER.

Just gotta last 10 more months.....

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Bhavesh...what is the status on hybrid Maverick delivery?

Thinking of ordering one soon...

Edit. Looked last night. Looks like they aren't taking orders again until summer.

Last edited by csmutty; 01-12-22 at 05:36 AM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

2023 chevy montana?...anyone heard anything about this one?...doesn't seem like it's going to be a hybrid...same idea as the santa cruz

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lemme know if you're ever up in my area with that. Sure could use something like that for a weekend around the house/out at the props!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Lemme know if you're ever up in my area with that. Sure could use something like that for a weekend around the house/out at the props!
    Haha, well if I got caught doing that it would definitely speed up my retirement! I'd love just to take the fuckin thing home to sweep my chimney.