Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What is your Tesla experience?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iíd heard endless fanboi ramblings on teh intarwebs

4 20.00%
  • Iíve ridden in one

3 15.00%
  • Iíve driven one

4 20.00%
  • Beet is naked

8 40.00%
  • Bemused

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tesla

Tesla

Have you ridden in one?

Have you driven one?

I have, for both.

Curious to hear others thoughts before I share my experience.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 11-21-20 at 09:11 PM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: Tesla

Personally love them and the theory of them. If I was shopping for anything in that price range it would be a contender.

I don't drive enough to justify it (work is less than 5 miles away) but it does have a charger. Coworker just bought a model Y and commutes about 35 miles each way to work. Rarely charges at the house. Loves the car. Makes driving on the highway a breeze even with the basic cruise control package.

Model S plaid model is just ridiculous for performance. Model 3 Performance is a bargain super car performance without the stigma or the expense.

For me personally a plug-in Hybrid makes more sense with like a 40 mile radius. Maybe the Volvo XC90 in the future.

still waiting for a model 3 that can tow

I test drove them 3 times. Impressive for sure. Not my cup of tea. I have a short commute for the first time in my life but typically I have long commutes and it just wouldn’t make sense. I also love my gas vehicles. I consider the charging an inconvenience. The Auti pilot was insanely impressive. That was the biggest selling point for me and the main reason why I even entertained the idea. The price tag is hefty, no clue about repairs on them or reliability. People swear by them, but I’m not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I test drove them 3 times. Impressive for sure. Not my cup of tea. I have a short commute for the first time in my life but typically I have long commutes and it just wouldnít make sense. I also love my gas vehicles. I consider the charging an inconvenience. The Auti pilot was insanely impressive. That was the biggest selling point for me and the main reason why I even entertained the idea. The price tag is hefty, no clue about repairs on them or reliability. People swear by them, but Iím not convinced.
    Reliability is piss poor. They were just ranked 25 out of 26, with only Lincoln being a shittier vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Reliability is piss poor. They were just ranked 25 out of 26, with only Lincoln being a shittier vehicle.
    I find that hard to believe, but don’t care enough to research it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I too love the concept but not the brand itself. Since i work with robotics and renewable energies most people here have or had them at one point. So many are plagued with issues. Just craziness like doors not opening, things getting buggy etc. Seems like most issues crop up around winter time. Tesla itself as a corporation are terrible. They have complete control of your car and can change the terms of anything at their discretion. Free charging at our stations if you buy a car? Sure, no problem. Oh, by the way, we stopped that and now you have to pay like everyone else. You want to use someone else to repair your car? Well we dont really like that so we will terminate the quick charge feature on your car so it takes a dogs age to charge unless you pay us. Did you say something bad about us on twitter? Well then you can kiss our rewards program goodbye. You have pending rewards coming? Too bad, you should only praise us.
    The company just has too much control over the product and there is no way to severe that connection. If i could just buy the car and never hear from tesla again i probably would but much like your iphone they are always updating and changing.
    I do like the Chevy Volt though. Much different experience.

I am probably gonna get flamed for this.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I find that hard to believe, but donít care enough to research it.
    Doesnít matter what you believe, they were 2nd to last. Mazda ranked 1st.

Never so much as set butt inside one. Enormous fan anyway.
    Strongly considered buying one when I had a 90mi/day commute and access to a free charging station at work.
    Price is hard to get past. Most of the cats I work with found the Chevy or Nissan easier to justify or aquire. One outlier: a massive mustang guy traded his mustang for a model 3 dual motor. Moves like that say a lot in my book.

Doesn’t matter what you believe, they were 2nd to last. Mazda ranked 1st.
    On reliability or fit-and-finish quality?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    On reliability or fit-and-finish quality?
    2020 Consumer Reports reliability, published a few days ago.

Doesn’t matter what you believe, they were 2nd to last. Mazda ranked 1st.
    Me *looks out the window at our 3 Mazdas and smiles

Model S has always been shit

However 3 is the golden nugget

Only Tesla's Model 3 sedan, currently the company's best selling model, received a recommended rating from Consumer Reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

Even the 3 has an inconsistent reliability rating (lost its CR recommendation at one point in 2019). Fact is the brand overall is rated very poorly for reliability.

That said, if I really wanted a Tesla that probably wouldnít stop me as I tend to be out of a vehicle prior to itís initial warranty expiring. Itís then just a question of how willing I am to be inconvenienced by issues and do I believe in the customer service.

Everybody to the limit!

Starting a car company from scratch is hard. Early adopters are going to see issues. I wouldn't mind owning one in 5-10 years when they've got the kinks out, though I expect there will be more competition by then from the major manufacturers as well. I like the idea of one all electric and one hybrid electric vehicle in a 2 car household, and we've already got the hybrid electric though I think ideally we'd end up with a tesla sedan and a hybrid wagon or crossover.

Elon Musk comes across as kind of a tool. But most innovators seem to be. And who am I to point fingers, I'm kind of a tool and I ain't done shit.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Even the 3 has an inconsistent reliability rating (lost its CR recommendation at one point in 2019). Fact is the brand overall is rated very poorly for reliability.

That said, if I really wanted a Tesla that probably wouldn’t stop me as I tend to be out of a vehicle prior to it’s initial warranty expiring. It’s then just a question of how willing I am to be inconvenienced by issues and do I believe in the customer service.
    Agreed.

It's a double edged sword for me. I'm used to cheap old hoopties that always have something wrong and need fixing. But they are also cheap to begin with. If it was something new and nice I'd be less inclined to overlook problems and more upset. On top of that I can't really service much of it myself. Alternatively taking out the motor is a drastic ball of issues that need messing to eliminate.

I have my toy cars and bikes. If I were to have an "appliance" as a car, to just get into and drive and get places? Tesla is the ticket. I'd much rather be in that than like a Camry. Especially if you consider the performance models.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

Model S is due for a full overhaul. It's their first mass production car, and still has a lot of the manufacturing challenges you would expect. Look at any car manufacturers first 10 year production vehicle (you'll have to look pretty far back). They'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Model S is due for a full overhaul. It's their first mass production car, and still has a lot of the manufacturing challenges you would expect. Look at any car manufacturers first 10 year production vehicle (you'll have to look pretty far back). They'll figure it out.
    I know why. I'm pointing out its unfair to lump all the cars made due to 1 specific cars pretty horrible build.

Either way, nobody really needs to be convinced to get into a Tesla. Those that have them love them. Those that want them won't be deterred by reliability reviews. Having no IC engine is the single best reliability that most people need to hear.

Lifer

Had a brief ride in one a couple years ago. Believe it was an earlier generation S, but not sure which. I was impressed with the ride quality. Over some rough New England backroad, driven enthusiastically, it soaked up the bumps pretty well without feeling like an over-damped boat. Of course the linear electric power was cool too. Besides the core novelties of being an electric car, or the ipad on the dash, riding in it felt pretty ... regular? Un-exotic? Which I see as a desirable attribute. But I guess the hype-train had me expecting something else.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    still waiting for a model 3 that can tow
    What's the limitation? Do the motors overheat? Or just aero is so bad the battery life becomes impractical?

nedirtriders.com

I had to vote for Beet, the closest I have come to a Tesla, is one of my client's lawyer has one, she's showed up with it at a couple of onsite meetings, and planning board meetings, she was complaining about something on the car at one of em. She said she would keep it to the end of the lease, but wouldn't get another

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

i watched a YouTube video saying itís better for the environment after 6 months to 2 years depending on how your state generates electricity so anecdotally it seems like a good idea over an ICE

Drove one
    If you care about performance, you're a retard not to like them. They are the future. Jump on the bus or GTFO the way.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Drove one
    If you care about performance, you're a retard not to like them. They are the future. Jump on the bus or GTFO the way.
    When they cost $5k used let me know. Otherwise hell no. Vehicles are a depreciating asset not an investment.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    When they cost $5k used let me know. Otherwise hell no. Vehicles are a depreciating asset not an investment.
    A lot of collectors of muscle and classic cars would disagree. But I’m with you.

A lot of collectors of muscle and classic cars would disagree. But I’m with you.
    Haha I agree on that point. Just sold my truck for a 23% profit today.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast