Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking about getting a new family truckster...

Re: Thinking about getting a new family truckster...

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of either trading my 99 chevy 2500 in for a new vehicle for my wife..

this issue is that i am spending 70-100 a week on gas in my truck and my wife is driving around in a 96 purple prism with 160k on it, our son is due to arrive on the 22nd of this month.

The 70-100 on gas plus the wear and tear on my truck is getting expensive and i forsee a lot of cash to be dumped into it in the near future...probably $1-2k worth and i'm not thrilled that my wife is going to be driving our newborn around in the prism...

i see to options...1. trading teh truck in for a family car, taking the prism. 2. buying a $2k(ish) commuter car and leaving her in the prism.

the prism runs like new, my wife has had it for a long time and is very good at getting the maint. done..it runs like new and should last several more years....

i am leaning towards a new car and here are my "needs":

awd or 4x4 - this is mainly because of our driveway...it is sloped very steep with concrete walls on both sides...and of course much easier for my wife to get around in

big enough for me to ride in for 4-5 hours, hold all of our stuff and be able to pull a trailer with 2 bikes

cheap

good on gas

I'm wondering people opinions on what cars i should look at and if i should just get a beater for myself...

For new vehicles i am leaning towards the Honda element and the Jeep patriot...opinions please
    Metro jeep was advertsiing the PAtrioy for $14k today, lifetime warranty on drive train. My exwife has a liberty and seems happy with it.

Good luck with your baby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

My friend just traded his mustang in and bought a patriot. Since he has a kid now he needed something with 4 doors. I've only ridden in it once but it's pretty nice. I think the base model starts around 16k. He's happy with it but wishes he got the factory nav.

I drive a jeep liberty a lot for work and it's pretty nice. I'm not sure what mpg it gets since I don't buy gas for it, but it can get out of it's own way pretty good and it's really easy to drive and park.

Hey Red - I only read your first post, but I may be interested in your truck if you wanna explore selling it instead of a trade in. If you may be interested in selling it outright, can you get me some details?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Okay, I just read summa posts. Still interested in your truck possibly, but also gotta toss the Murano word out. It's the only brand new vehicle I've bought that I've been entirely happy with. I tow with it (18' bowrider, trailer loaded with 3 quads), it's a tank in the snow, decent cargo area (although you do hafta pack carefully), and gets better-than-expected gas mileage (I usually average right about 24 non-towing MPG's). I've put almost 40K on mine since Aug. '07 and haven't had one issue with it, even with all the towing I do. Got mine for less than $30K...

i like the murano but it's out of my price range....i am looking at $20k...the element is pushing it at around 21-22....

i'll send you a pm on the truck

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    i like the murano but it's out of my price range....i am looking at $20k...the element is pushing it at around 21-22....

i'll send you a pm on the truck
    holy crap I just checked the tow rate of a Murano - 3,500lbs!
    Thats the one issue I have with the wife's Element, 1,500lbs max. My trailer is 1,100lbs alone so pulling 2 bikes is out of the question.

Stoneman if you're getting 24mpg you're doing a lot better than me in my Maxima with a 3.5 - 20mpg - I should have got a Murano

Quote Originally Posted by CMG41 View Post
    holy crap I just checked the tow rate of a Murano - 3,500lbs!
    Thats the one issue I have with the wife's Element, 1,500lbs max. My trailer is 1,100lbs alone so pulling 2 bikes is out of the question.

Stoneman if you're getting 24mpg you're doing a lot better than me in my Maxima with a 3.5 - 20mpg - I should have got a Murano
    I had no intention of doing much pulling with it. When I bought it I still had that big ol' pickup truck. Now I tow everything with it. It pulls awesome given what it is (and isn't!)...

You gotta remember with my mileage that mosta my commute is NH route 28 from the Lakes Region down to Manchester (NH) & back. My average speed per tank - if I remember correctly, is somewhere in the 40-50MPH range. In the summer when it's not doing so much idling (warming up), I get even better MPG reads. I've seen as high as 27. All those numbers drop tremendously when I tow though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12