Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tick bites and Lyme disease

Re: Tick bites and Lyme disease

I was diagnosed with lyme last Thursday. Felt like I had a bad flu that came on Tuesday night 102 temp,chills,body aches,massive head ache and felt like someone hit me with a bat at the base of my skull.
    Started Doxy-cycline for two weeks with a follow up then. I slept for 3 days straight! Feeling better today. This thread couldn't of come at a better time. Thanks Bergs!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My wife was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. She's feeling better, but not nearly 100%. We hike a LOT and have woods/fields around our house, plus two dogs. If I went to the doctor and saved the tick for testing every time I had a tick bite, that would be like two or three times a year...

Not saying it's not the right thing to do, but this sucks!

Day 7 of detox.

Doing much better than last week which was fraught with symptoms of leg pain (joints & muscles), lethargy, headaches, sweating and of course restless nights. As I continue to take the cholesterol prescription I will be adding to the fun by working on detoxing the metals that were detected in my blood. Truth is I have been really fucked up for a long time and can say I am now starting to notice a sense of relief in my day-to-day activites. It hasn't been a particularly fun ride up to this point but mentally I am healing and am hoping my body will follow suit.

Finally, thank you for the kind words. I can only hope that this thread will (and has) serve(d) a bigger purpose.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 06-29-15 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    I could only make it through a few paragraphs of that. Those people love to stick to the we have no idea why you're sick but it's NOT Lyme, this book says so. 'It must be in your head' or 'you're getting older'...bit me.
    It's a bit frustrating considering I addressed that point specifically in my post, but I'll also quote directly from the article linked:

"Let me mention here, not that it will make any difference, that I do not deny the symptoms and suffering of patients with the “diagnosis” of chronic Lyme. They are often quite ill with something that is not, however, from Lyme." - It's the 12th paragraph down (but many of their paragraphs are small) so I'd say it's well within the first third of the entry.

nedirtriders.com

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Plum Island is less than 7 miles as a crow flies from Lyme, CT, there is government motive to bury the truth

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Haven't heard that place brought up in quite a while!

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Plum Island is less than 7 miles as a crow flies from Lyme, CT, there is government motive to bury the truth
    Seems like that train has left the station...Pretty much everyone I know already blames the US government and the lab there for Lyme disease. Is there more truth to bury?

They found a cave man from a 5,300 years ago with Lyme. Not that the gov couldn't have try to weaponize it but I'm not jumping on that train.

Iceman May Hold Earliest Evidence of Lyme Disease : Discovery News
    no doubt, Lyme disease is a European disease.... that never showed up in North America till the 1970's where it has been spreading from it's epicenter ever since

RandyO
    IBA#9560

It was almost certainly here all along, but the deer population explosion of the 20th century probably made it a whole lot easier to get.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

They found a cave man from a 5,300 years ago with Lyme. Not that the gov couldn't have try to weaponize it but I'm not jumping on that train.

Iceman May Hold Earliest Evidence of Lyme Disease : Discovery News
    From the article in the link (color emphasis added):
    Discovering evidence of Borrelia is an "intriguing investigative lead," said Dr. Steven Schutzer, an immunologist at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-New Jersey Medical School.

Schutzer is a lead investigator on a National Institutes of Health-funded project that has sequenced at least 17 strains of the modern bacterium, and has published 13 of those so far.

The discovery of the traces of Borrelia within the sample taken from the Iceman still needs to be confirmed
    , he said. "Now we know what we want to look for, now that we know there is a possibility of that being here, we can do a very targeted approach that looks for Borrelia," Schutzer said.

National institute of health is an agency of the U.S. Dept of Health..such discoveries are both convenient, and apparently made by the same fox that is guarding the henhouse

truthfully, none of it matters if you're sick or know some who is. Doctors in this state are allowed to treat as they see fit. I'm sorry I helped to get this thread off the constructive path it was on.

I will do my part and delete what I posted that gets away from what Bergs started.

Tim
    LRRS #44

truthfully, none of it matters if you're sick or know some who is. Doctors in this state are allowed to treat as they see fit. I'm sorry I helped to get this thread off the constructive path it was on.

I will do my part and delete what I posted that gets away from what Bergs started.
    doctors only have protection from legal repercussions. Insurance companies are not required to pay for non standard treatments, and doctors are not required to consider non standard treatments

discussion of chronic Lyme with 97% of doctors is the exact opposite of discussing global warming with 97% of climatologists

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Last time I was at the cabin, northern NH I had 10 tick on me over the weekend. Never in the 15 years of going out and plying in the woods for hours did I ever have a tick on me. Just walking from the truck to the cabin door 20 feet I noticed 2 ticks on me. Completely got me freaked out now. The instant it feels like I have something crawling on me I'm bare assed in moments looking for something even thought there is nothing. LOL.. Kate says the same thing....

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

We seriously have to do something about these tick populations. A friend of mine who grew up on the cape told me that nowadays literally every kid down there gets Lyme eventually, just from playing on the lawn. It wasn't like this not too long ago.

Ticks are just amazing disease transmitters. If you look at some of the other stuff you can get from ticks, Lyme is actually a favorable option.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Ban ticks

Seriously. I've found more of them on me this year then I've had in my lifetime total. Ridiculous.

Glad I'm not the only paranoid one with the constant checks.

Last edited by e30addict; 07-02-15 at 09:11 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Me must become Fowl Farmers!

As to the question of what eats a tick—almost any creature that eats small insects will also eat ticks, even though the tick is not an insect. Ticks have eight legs, while insects always have six. Some people depend on domesticated poultry to keep ticks out of their yards; a species of poultry called the guinea hen, or guinea fowl, is reputed to be especially good at eating ticks. Guinea fowl come from Africa, but they are adaptable and can live almost anywhere.

Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Me must become Fowl Farmers!

As to the question of what eats a tick—almost any creature that eats small insects will also eat ticks, even though the tick is not an insect. Ticks have eight legs, while insects always have six. Some people depend on domesticated poultry to keep ticks out of their yards; a species of poultry called the guinea hen, or guinea fowl, is reputed to be especially good at eating ticks. Guinea fowl come from Africa, but they are adaptable and can live almost anywhere.
    free range chickens are probably best bet for tick control, but, they also attract coyotes, raccoons and other varmints you might not want around

I have seen fewer ticks this year than in the past, but mostly due to my limited amount of field time this year

there have been days, I've pulled 100 ticks off me by noon time, one of the hazards of being a land surveyor /wetland scientist

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I find the easiest way to check for ticks at the end of the day is to jump into my Jacuzzi

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I find the easiest way to check for ticks at the end of the day is to jump into my Jacuzzi
    Because they float to the surface, or because they collect at the bottom? Either way.. gross

The one time I got bit, the bastard was unfazed by the hot tub.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Because they float to the surface, or because they collect at the bottom? Either way.. gross
    not as gross as not finding them and having them suck blood out of your body

fwiw, they float

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Gino

Fuck. Guinea. Hens. I'd burn the field or forest first.

Loud as hell at any (and sometimes all) hours of the day.

2 of them live across the street from me and both have managed to annoy the surrounding 4 households including ours.

Awful creatures.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast