Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Tipping at Restaurants

  1. #51
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants


    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

    Fun fact: If the server ends up making below minimum wage after tips are accounted for, restaurant is responsible for paying out at least a minimum wage. Whether that reflects poorly on the server or whether the restaurants ever honor that is a different discussion. Point is, servers are legally protected to at least making a "living" minimal wage, so you're never responsible for a person having $0 paycheck in the end.
    Most servers don't realize that and many restaurants don't honor that. Serving is not a profession that rocking the boat with management leads to anything good most of the time either. It's "minimum" wage the restaurant has to make it up to, not "living" wage. They are very different things.

    0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  2. #52

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Most servers don't realize that and many restaurants don't honor that. Serving is not a profession that rocking the boat with management leads to anything good most of the time either. It's "minimum" wage the restaurant has to make it up to, not "living" wage. They are very different things.
    I understand that, however it's still a fact and it's not my job as a hungry customer going into a random diner establishment to figure out whether this restaurant management is good or not. It also shouldn't be my job to play a part into what hourly wage of the employee in front of me turns out to be for that hour.

    Don't say they won't honor the law, that just silly. One complaint to the labor board and they would honor it immediately. Fact that server would have to find another job isn't an argument. If a job is abusing labor laws it's not something that's "hard to enforce". After a few abuses, tips will be the least of the problems of the establishment.

    Again, minimum wage vs "living" wage is a different argument. If a restaurant wasn't busy that month and the server ended up only making ~minimum wage after tips what happens then?

    Us good customers who end up tipping ~20% as standard practice are bearing the burden of the dick customers who don't tip regardless of quality of service in order to make sure that the server ends up with a pretty reasonable above the minimum wage pay check, largely tax free cash at the end of the week.

    You do realize how asinine that system sounds?

    I literally could never tip in my life ever at any place I'm not a regular at it would have Zero effect on my life and you'll be picking up my slack when you go out? You think all those drivers you see on daily basis that drive like complete assholes and have no regard for other people, empathy or sympathy really care what the paycheck of their server looks like on a voluntary basis?

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 01-07-19 at 01:29 PM.

  3. #53

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I understand that, however it's still a fact and it's not my job as a hungry customer going into a random diner establishment to figure out whether this restaurant management is good or not. It also shouldn't be my job to play a part into what hourly wage of the employee in front of me turns out to be for that hour.

    Don't say they won't honor the law, that just silly. One complaint to the labor board and they would honor it immediately. Fact that server would have to find another job isn't an argument. If a job is abusing labor laws it's not something that's "hard to enforce". After a few abuses, tips will be the least of the problems of the establishment.

    Again, minimum wage vs "living" wage is a different argument. If a restaurant wasn't busy that month and the server ended up only making ~minimum wage after tips what happens then?

    Us good customers who end up tipping ~20% as standard practice are bearing the burden of the dick customers who don't tip regardless of quality of service in order to make sure that the server ends up with a pretty reasonable above the minimum wage pay check, largely tax free cash at the end of the week.

    You do realize how asinine that system sounds?

    I literally could never tip in my life ever at any place I'm not a regular at it would have Zero effect on my life and you'll be picking up my slack when you go out? You think all those drivers you see on daily basis that drive like complete assholes and have no regard for other people, empathy or sympathy really care what the paycheck of their server looks like on a voluntary basis?
    Can that server then get another job at a different restaurant? Sometimes laws say things and the real world looks very different. If a server knows that reporting their boss means that they don't work as a server again, that's not a risk that a lot of people could take.

    for the record, I've never worked as a server or at a restaurant, so I've got no clue - whistleblowing type laws tend to be a bit lacking though.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #54

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by joshk1025 View Post
    Can that server then get another job at a different restaurant? Sometimes laws say things and the real world looks very different. If a server knows that reporting their boss means that they don't work as a server again, that's not a risk that a lot of people could take.

    for the record, I've never worked as a server or at a restaurant, so I've got no clue - whistleblowing type laws tend to be a bit lacking though.
    It's a server job... if a server can't find another restaurant to work at he wasn't much of a server.

    On top of that, a job legally can't say anything more than whether you worked there and how long. THATS it. HR takes this stuff seriously and most managers aren't willing to lose their jobs over something they have to do all year long (confirm job history if called). Plus how many restaurants will actually call to verify server history? Either he's telling the truth and actually knows how to take orders and has done it before or he/she isn't. It would be fairly obvious without a damn background check.

    That's like saying, if your job stops paying you now or starts shorting you on your paychecks, are you afraid of getting your money or ever getting a job again?


    Regardless this whole thing is a a moot point. How many servers do you know that bring home less than ~$28 after a 4 hour shift? Thats serving 3 $50 tables at 20% tip..

    This is why this point was brought up to begin with. This isn't a clause that ever needs to utilized as it essentially never happens. If a place is so slow that they dont serve ~3 tables in 4 hours they go to another place or the place closes down due to lack of business.



    Point stands, tipping is a stupid custom that doesn't follow any good logic, but brings in so much money to waiters that they don't question it and just go with it.


    I'm sure this "professional server" has earned this $7300 gratuity all day long bringing the plates around. Much more so than any other server at any other restaurant or better yet, more than other servers at that same restaurant that day.

    Tipping at Restaurants-whoa_full-jpg

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 01-07-19 at 03:53 PM.

  5. #55

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    It's a server job... if a server can't find another restaurant to work at he wasn't much of a server.

    On top of that, a job legally can't say anything more than whether you worked there and how long. THATS it. HR takes this stuff seriously and most managers aren't willing to lose their jobs over something they have to do all year long (confirm job history if called). Plus how many restaurants will actually call to verify server history? Either he's telling the truth and actually knows how to take orders and has done it before or he/she isn't. It would be fairly obvious without a damn background check.

    That's like saying, if your job stops paying you now or starts shorting you on your paychecks, are you afraid of getting your money or ever getting a job again?


    Regardless this whole thing is a a moot point. How many servers do you know that bring home less than ~$28 after a 4 hour shift? Thats serving 3 $50 tables at 20% tip..

    This is why this point was brought up to begin with. This isn't a clause that ever needs to utilized as it essentially never happens. If a place is so slow that they dont serve ~3 tables in 4 hours they go to another place or the place closes down due to lack of business.



    Point stands, tipping is a stupid custom that doesn't follow any good logic, but brings in so much money to waiters that they don't question it and just go with it.


    I'm sure this "professional server" has earned this $7300 gratuity all day long bringing the plates around. Much more so than any other server at any other restaurant or better yet, more than other servers at that same restaurant that day.

    Tipping at Restaurants-whoa_full-jpg
    I definitely would prefer to see our custom change to match other parts of the world. It's really nice to go out to eat in Europe or Asia and not have that extra 20-25% tacked on at the end.

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #56
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    36,699

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    I factor tipping into the expense of going out to eat. I already pay a mandated sales tax to the state govt on virtually everything I buy and I don't particularly like doing that... But I'd be a FUCKING ASSHOLE if I didn't pay a little "service tax" that goes directly to the restaurant staff who are already underpaid as it is, when they treated me well, brought me food and cleaned up after me.

    I don't factor sales tax when calculating tip so I generally tip 20% of the total purchase (minus sales tax) and a minimum of 5 bucks if it's less than a 25 dollar tab (... unless I just get drinks at the bar, in which case I generally tip a buck a drink).

    What you do is totally up to you and fully within your right to do... but I might judge you a little based on the choice you make.


    Side note: I worked as a waiter for about 3 years in college so I know the bullshit they have to put up with and I generally treat them with understanding and kindness until they give me a reason to treat them differently...

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 01-10-19 at 09:41 AM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  7. #57
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Danvers, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    36,699

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    A lot of places put tips in a pool so the people busing tables and or the bar tender get a share...
    Typical practice is, when you cash out, a manager pulls up your sales numbers for the night.... You hand the manager whatever you owe the house for cash sales, minus your CC tips.... what you have left over in your hand is the money that you collected from all of your cash and CC tips... From that you give the Hosts/Hostesses W%, the Food Runners X%, the Dishwashers Y% and the Cooks Z% of those total sales numbers. The rest is what you get to go home with.

    So let's say I had a good night and ended up with:
    1000 bucks in cash sales
    200 bucks in cash tips
    1000 bucks in CC sales
    200 bucks in CC tips

    That means I walk up to my manager with 1200 bucks in cash in my pocket.... I owe the manager 1000 bucks for the CC sales but the manger owes me 200 bucks for the CC tips... So I hand them 1000-200 which is 800 bucks. That leaves me with 400 bucks in my hand. Then I give the Hosts/hostesses, runners, dishwashers & cooks a few bucks & go home with about 300 bucks in cash depending on the "house percentages".

    200 bucks of that were tips from CC's, so I have to pay income tax on that... the other 100 bucks I get kinda/sorta tax free, but not really cuz you gotta claim something for cash tips or else the IRS comes after you... which is why I try to tip cash if I have some in my pocket.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OreoGaborio; 01-08-19 at 04:46 PM.
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  8. #58
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    I tipped a waitress once. When she managed to get up, she was pissed!

    0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  9. #59
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    12,914

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    when did it become PC to call them "servers" instead of waiter/waitresses ?

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  10. #60
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    806

    Re: Tipping at Restaurants

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    when did it become PC to call them "servers" instead of waiter/waitresses ?
    Well since waiter and waitress are gender-specific terms, and gender isn’t a thing anymore, “server” is a more appropriate all-encompassing term.

    Back when I was in high school and working at Dunlop Donuts, my title was either Counter Coffee Bitch or Drive Thru Coffee Bitch. Now they’re called “baristas”... ooh la la

    0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •