Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Toy Hauler

Toy Hauler

So after many years of having a local home (Laconia) to stay at when racing I now need (Sold it) to have a place to camp at the track.
    I currently have a 6x10 trailer and am looking to upgrade to a toy hauler. Was looking at a truck camper but ruled that out after seeing the size I could fit in my f150.. After looking at different ones on line I believe a 22ft Grey Wolf will work. smaller or bigger bring problems with configurations and I have space issues for storage and towing with my Ford. Was wondering if any one has this unit or has ideas or suggestions about using (pro or con) a toy hauler? Don't want to buy a camper or a different truck. Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 12-06-16 at 08:09 PM.

Re: Toy Hauler

I think it is VRV, the all aluminum ones. Put them on your short list if you can. I've toured a couple and they are really awfully nice.

There's always the redneck, low buck option: take a utility box trailer and build in a bunk or roll out an air mattress. Several of us have done that with success. NHMS facilities are pretty good and make the wet rooms non-essential, IMO.

1 Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Could not be happier w/ my 28' LivinLite VRV. She's a beast, carries 5 bikes (with Pit-Bull TRS systems) and sleeps up to 6 comfortably.

DucatiRdr on here has a smaller version, perfect for 1-2 people and bikes. He loves his as well.

I think their 6x15' is the smallest they make, the 7x20 would be the next step up.

They can be hard to find up here. But here's a 6x15' available for sale in IL and here's a 7x20' available in VA... looks like the same place in VA has a 6x15 made for KTM riders as well...

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 12-08-16 at 02:17 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

The slideouts look comfy. Those scissor couch/bed things should be illegal though. Most uncomfortable things ever. the split tin the cushion 1/3 over, the not flat surface. Ugh, gives me nightmares just thinking about trying to sleep on one.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Much like buying furniture. You either get the bargain basement crap or shell out serious coin for the good stuff. #nomiddleground

I ended up getting a Livin Lite VRV 7x20 fully loaded. I had to drive to Canton Michigan to pull it back home. Best feature is the light weight. Like Scottie I can pull this with my oil burning X5 and get 15mpg all the way to Indy and back. I once had a tip over of my fuel can and it weeped out enough fuel to stank up the camper. I pulled out the hose and washed out the back like it was a dump body. Another issue was my lack of winter prep after returning from Daytona in the spring and a late freeze cracking my shower controls. I didn't know it was leaking till I saw the water spilling out the side of the camper when my GF was taking her shower. Having an all aluminum floor meant the drama is minimized. Wooden floors don't do water and fuel very well. Most other campers feel disposable. This feels like it will hold up for a while and not sag and turn to mush in a few years.

Benefits - Lite and robust. Built to last and easy to work on. Pop out side beds are great in providing more space. I bought a queen 3 inch foam mattress topper to put over the stock bed pad. It's honestly the best sleep I ever get. Also Eucalyptus sheets for camping are awesome. I now have both for home. Electric brakes work great with Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller. Dry camping for a weekend is doable on my 7x20 but both holding tanks are rather small so I conserve water for a long weekend. I can pull in HD channels on the TV or watch DVD. Refer is typical late model fridge in a camper. They need to be running about 3 days to get them to temp. Always start them early before a trip. A/C is a huge white noise machine that does drop the internal temp but if its near 100 outside expect high 70's inside.

Weakness - Looks like a garage rather than a tiny house. Not at all built for a woman's touch. This thing looks like a Snap-on tool box you live in rather than a camper. Dude's love this shit. Women, meh. Fold out bed limits on the road stopping for the night. If I am by myself and pull into a rest area to sleep for a few hours of the night I will often toss a sleeping bag and pad on the floor. Rest areas aren't the safest places so I don't feel comfortable sleeping with just canvas between me and the "Nightman". It's insanely expensive. When you compare it to the heavier cheaper build quality campers it's almost double the price. But with years of ownership I can say I don't have quality issues to bitch about so in this case you do get what you pay for. They do have great resale value so even if you end up getting out of it you will see more return at that time.

3 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

If it where just me I could handle the tool box feel and live with it. heck I could pitch a tent and be ok. But my wife will be staying with me on longer trips and as stated theses are not wife friendly trailers. So I need more of a camper style toy hauler.
    Like the way the all alum. VRV are built over the wood frame options of the others I have seen. Just not suited for everyone involved, oh married life...lol
    Thanks for all the information

0 Not allowed!

fun finder then...

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D