Page 1 of 43 12345678910112141 ... LastLast

Tractors - Educate me

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Tractors - Educate me

Exploring the possibility of getting something for projects around the yard but don't have a clue on which are the "good" brands or which ones to stay away from.

I believe I want to be in the 20+ hp range and certainly with a bucket, hoe attachment and 4WD.

Would like to be in the 2007+ range.

Stopped up at the Bobcat dealer over on Rte 4 and caught the bug.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Tractors - Educate me

Kubota, 4x4 with weighted wheels...

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

The "good" brands are Kubota and John Deere! New Holland/Ford from what I've heard are OK. The Bobcat type machine seems to have less uses and is a bit more of a pain in the ass IMO.

When I was searching for my tractor (26HP Kubota), I was told one of the most important details to look at was the hydrolic pump size and flo ratings. Both Kubota and John Deere were almost double the size of compairable tractors..I recall myhindra and cyote being almost half the sized pumps (those are the chinese pitbikes of tractors).

I havn't had a single issue with my Kubota and it'll be 4 years this spring. It's done everything with in reason that I have wanted to do...moved some impressive sized rocks and even pulled out a 20" pine stump with it. It's been the best home purchase/investment so far for me. And the great thing about a good name brand, they hold their value

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Pump size and flow ratings - Noted

Definitely sticking with a big name but was thinking Kubota, Massey Ferguson and New Holland.

The Bobcat I looked at was the C122 but there is something about the Bobcat offerings that I'm not crazy about...not sure what, though

Found a Deere in great shape with a hoe for 10 on CL but I'm not sure of the capacities the various sizes offer. Digging is not a problem but I too will be stump pulling as well as yanking firewood out of the forest and don't want to find out when it's too late that I bought a machine that isn't up to the task.

Am I in the right area as far as HP is concerned or am I concentrating on a higher capacity hydraulic system?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Cat also makes the Challenger series. Don't know much about them, but they have had pretty good ag equipment in the past years.

0 Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

I routinely use a Kubota B3030 (30HP) with woods hoe. Works great. If you ever want to install a PTO snow blower, you'll want at least 30 HP since you really need a 60" blower clear space for the tractor tires.

These machines are absurdly rugged, utterly simple to maintain, and usually used for light-duty home owner tasks that don;t stress them much. For that reason, I think it would make a lot of sense to go older than 2007.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 02-21-12 at 08:38 PM.

iTrader Score

I would stay with Kubota or Deere. I am real happy with my Kubota BX2360. It is in the sub compact class. Basically a overgrown garden tractor. But it has a 3 cylinder 23 hp diesel and 4 wheel peel. I have a loader, mower deck and front mounted snow blower for it and I love it to death. I also have an IH 574 (50HP) with a loader and I use the little Kubota more.

The B series is bigger and heavier than the BX and might be better suited to a hoe. Although you can get a hoe for the BX. Above the B series is the L series and those are some serious machines.

I find the layout, fit and finish as well as general handiness of the Kubota machinery to be top shelf.

Once you have a tractor with a loader you will never want to be without one again.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Why do some ads specify a woods hoe? I've seen references to trenching hoes in addition to woods hoes and cannot pick out any significant differences with the bucket other than the number of teeth.

stoinky and/ or Tulley - Anything to offer on the B2630 (or similar model)? I'm thinking that size might be small-ish for my application but again, I am not sure what these things are capable of.

Is something like this overkill?

EDIT: Are there going to be the advantages to Ag tires in the woods?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 02-21-12 at 11:07 PM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Woods hoes are probably a little cheaper to buy new and have a little more reach than Kubota hoes of the same weight. The Kubota hoe is going to fit a bit tighter and higher to the tractor frame and not overhang as much since it is engineered for that tractor and not a universal fit with brackets to adapt it. Either hoe works just fine though and I would not let the brand of hoe make any difference in the purchase decision.

I'm pretty sure the B2630 is identical to the B3030 I use, other than the 26 HP engine. Nice machine. The B2630 has a higher rev limit so the hydraulic pump (they are the same) actually puts out more GPM than the B3030, so it should be able to operate implements like the hoe at slightly higher speed. The 3030 is a 4 cylinder, the 2630 is a 3 cylinder, the engines have the same bore and stroke. The only downsides are more noise, faster wear, and less power for things like mowers and blowers with the smaller engine. Probably not a big difference though.

Ag tires offer better traction in dirt but make a mess of lawns. Turf tires are easier on the lawn but not as good in dirt. I doubt there would be a big difference working in the woods. The one I use has turf tires and I have never gotten it stuck. If I did get it really stuck, I could unstick it by dragging it out with the hoe. The hoe easily drags the tractor around if the stabilizers are left up.

The L3000DT-R is a nice machine. Same size motor as the B3030 (different engine though) but slightly smaller hydraulics. I don't think it has a mid PTO for a mower deck. It has a higher rated rear PTO HP than the B3030 or 2630. They are about the same size as the B3030, and not overkill by any means for a typical rural New England lot.

0 Not allowed!

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar
    iTrader Score

I didn't get a chance to read thru all posts yet , but here's what I went thru a few years back heping my sister.
    First off 20hp is not as much as you would expect , and 20 hp in a ford might not be 20hp in a new holland or Kabota. And I think ford and new holland are in cahoots .
    It might cost some extra dollars , but see if you can rent or use a nieghbors just to get the feel for it. Only you know exactly what's in your mind for future projects , and that list will get bigger once you have some fun on one of these.
    We rented a newholland for a couple days. Seemed a little underpowered , and the hydrolicks where slow, that is important.
    Keep in mind this was about 6 yrs ago and models changed.
    J Deere ran away with the priceing. So it didn't matter what it could do.
    It came down to the purchase of Kabota L38 with all 4 loaded mud tires , and the larger of the backhoe atachments , 9 foot vrs 7 ft.extra 2 ft is actually a lot , its that much less times of moving and positioning the tractor. The turff tires have a good reputation , but she needed the extra traction.
    The kabotas have 3 different. Drives. Standard which steals the least amount of power from the hydrolic pump and motor , automatic. Which is the biggest power thief of both engine power and hydrolic pump and I'm having a senior moment on the 3rd option , but if your really in the market you will find out. Hydrostatic drive I think.
    Its just like your first bike, after a few days you wish you would have gotten something with more power , but in this case it means operating multipel valves/rams or pto at the same time. And I have stalled it useing a 5' finish deck going up a slight grade.
    The biggest thing for the kabota was the financing and factory incentives , I think they have them every year. Out the door for an L38 upgraded 4 loaded tires ,9ft backhoe ,set of forks (for pallets) , quickrelease for front atachments. Just under $32K
    Do not disreguard the bobcat. Every job has a correct tool. There is not much those little things can't do. And there really not little or cheap. The newer ones have all kinds of quick atachments , although I have never seen a hoe atachmet. And as far as I've seeen there is no lac of power.

0 Not allowed!
    Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar
    iTrader Score

1 more option to look for on the Kabota , I believe its a belly pto , you need that for a front faceing snow thrower. Otherwise you will be driving backwards. If it really matters. I don't know if the center pto works the belly deck. We never had 1
    And if you find yourself in need of a 5 befco finish deck , side discharge. Send a pm

0 Not allowed!
    Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    T//When I was searching for my tractor (26HP Kubota), I was told one of the most important details to look at was the hydrolic pump size and flo ratings. Both Kubota and John Deere were almost double the size of compairable tractors..I recall myhindra and cyote being almost half the sized pumps (those are the chinese pitbikes of tractors).//
    According to this comparison:
    Model - pump output / lift capacity
    New Holland Boomer 30 - 8.2 / 1807
    Mahindra 3016 - 7.8 / 2646
    Kubota L3200 - 6.5 / 1998
    John Deere 3032E - 5.3 / 1356 @ 24"

In fact the Mahindras seem to have higher pump output than the Kubota in every model. Everyone I know with a Kubota loves it, but Mahindra has some "yard cred" as well. Interesting site: www.tractordata.com.

OT but you know how when you buy a new car sometimes they give you a hat or some floor mats or something as a "throw-in"? My brother-in-law in Ontario bought a new Combine (they start at $300,000), and the "throw-in" was a 22hp John Deere garden tractor with mower and trailer.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-22-12 at 06:18 AM.
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

If I was upgrading our 40hp IH B 414 now, it would be a Kubota in the L range. Hydrostatic all the way. AG tires, 30hp or so. Problem being, they are very pricey. One day.

Stopping to shift to go forwards and back with a shuttle shift sucks compared to a hydro.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I've rented a hydrostatic Teramite. My crapsman lawn tractor his hydrostatic.
    Both rule.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I did a bunch of research a couple years ago when I was looking for a 35hp tractor. It's slightly larger so take that with a grain of salt. Most of the mechanics I talked to recommended either Deere or Kubota. My father has always run larger (65hp +/-) New Hollands and never had a problem. I ended up getting an 2004 John Deere 4410. It's a hydrostatic drive which took some getting used to having grown up using manual tractors but I absolutely love it for doing any back-and-forth tasks (plowing, moving dirt, etc). I've used it hard and never had any problems that I didn't cause.

Why does the year matter? Look at the hour meter, that's more important.

1 Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    First off 20hp is not as much as you would expect , and 20 hp in a ford might not be 20hp in a new holland or Kabota. And I think ford and new holland are in cahoots .
    Ford bought New Holland in 1985. The Ford name on tractors was discontinued in 2000 after a sale to FIAT

0 Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    According to this comparison:
    Model - pump output / lift capacity
    New Holland Boomer 30 - 8.2 / 1807
    Mahindra 3016 - 7.8 / 2646
    Kubota L3200 - 6.5 / 1998
    John Deere 3032E - 5.3 / 1356 @ 24"

In fact the Mahindras seem to have higher pump output than the Kubota in every model. Everyone I know with a Kubota loves it, but Mahindra has some "yard cred" as well. Interesting site: www.tractordata.com.

OT but you know how when you buy a new car sometimes they give you a hat or some floor mats or something as a "throw-in"? My brother-in-law in Ontario bought a new Combine (they start at $300,000), and the "throw-in" was a 22hp John Deere garden tractor with mower and trailer.
    don't confuse lift capacity with flow capacity

doesn't take much of a pump to run a hoe or loader, you need pressure but not necessarily gpm

afik, only JDs & Kubotas have the gpm hydraulic flow to run a snowblower, even with those you need to pay the extra to get the optional high flow pump , all the others ya need to run a PTO snowblower while yer backin up

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    don't confuse lift capacity with flow capacity //
    Don't have a dog in the fight: just found that Mahindra claims more flow than the Kubotas. They listed lift in the same chart so I included it.

0 Not allowed!
    WR250R | TW200 | Tiger 1050 ABS | CRF100F | R90/6

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Any input on a Cub Cadet 7205? 20hp, hydrostatic, hoe, loader, 4x4, 1100+hrs

It's been up for a while. Seller is asking 10.5

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

my neighbor just got the johndeere series 1 he loves it

0 Not allowed!
    Plaistow Powersports Racing
    Lrrs/ccs/ahrma EX #26

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

1100 hours is a lot on a smaller tractor.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Looking for input/ opinions on the following. Which ones are junk or should be avoided in general?

Kubota B7500 - http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2908936451.html

Lenar FS274 - http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2913272774.html

Ford 1710 - http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2916896056.html

Kioti 1914 - http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2922068351.html

McConnell-Marc 425XL - http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2859853372.html

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

The only one I would bother to look at is the Kubota.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Any particular reason(s)?

I'm asking because I'm curious as to what sets Kubota apart from the rest of the machines I've mentioned throughout this thread. What will a Kubota offer that I can't get with the others?

Is it parts availability? Ease of maintanence? Reliability or just sheer awesomeness? What does it do above and beyond the others?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quality construction, parts availability, resale value. I'd be more likely to trust a manufacturer that has been around for a long time and has a network of dealers and parts suppliers than a new company with little or no track record. Use your Lenar tractor as an example. They are no longer sold in the US. Apparently parts are available through China. Depending on which factory the tractor was manufactured in there were significant deficiencies.

Kioti does have a decent and growing reputation. I'd just be sure to do your product research on each individual manufacturer.

0 Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing

Page 1 of 43 12345678910112141 ... LastLast