Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112132343 ... LastLast

Tractors - Educate me

Re: Tractors - Educate me

I'll just leave this here...

Tractors - Educate me-img_1972-jpg

3 Not allowed!

I dig the color.

0 Not allowed!

Sadly, it is not home yet and the holiday weekend will add to the delay.

0 Not allowed!

Long weekend without a new toy in hand?! Suckage.
    Wanna do a smokey and the bandit style convoy to run it home? I'll run blocker, but you have to call me 'bandit' and I need a giant chicken decal for the hood of my car.

0 Not allowed!

Sweet Ride

0 Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

That's fire breathing chicken. I had one of those cars and it actually caught on fire in the engine compartment. Went from fire breathing chicken to barbequed squib in the matter of minutes.

Anywho, nice tractor. I can't really see, is that an L series?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ... but you have to call me 'bandit' and I need a giant chicken decal for the hood of my car.
    Just strap Matt to the hood .

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Just strap Matt to the hood .
    Feels like a plan forming.

0 Not allowed!

Colin Bandit - Who's driving the tractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I can't really see, is that an L series?
    It's the B7510 described in post 50.

Long day on the road yesterday, that's for sure!

2 Not allowed!

Can't go wrong with a Kubota

I can't tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like a Kubota hoe? Is that thumb hydrolic?

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Colin Bandit - Who's driving the tractor?
    You are. I run blocker.

I can just bust out the new dirt bike and do wheelies past the police station while you make a break for it. This will work, I'm sure of it. This is New Hampshire after all.

0 Not allowed!

I'll coordinate communications via the CB Radio!

0 Not allowed!

Looks like a Woods hoe with mechanical thumb.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Does anyone know whether or not the front diff is open when in 4WD or are the wheels all hydo-driven?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    Take a good look at the kioti's. They are an excellent tractor, and many times have more standard features, more weight, and better "all metal" construction. I bought an lk3054, and I love it. The new ck series are sweet, but I needed to keep in a lower price range.

Kiotis are made in south Korea, and they make ALL parts of the tractor, including the motors. I like that. I feel like although Deere and kubota are still great tractors, they have declined a little in quality, outsourced more parts, and use more plastic now. Kioti is gaining a good reputation, and are outclassing other brands to do so.
    This is suddenly pertinent to my interests as we've been looking at mountain camps. I met a Kioti owner who extolled the virtues, but I only got the summary.

We will have the driveway plowed but will still need to clear snow at times and the driveway is about 200 yards of gravel. Also need to clear some trees and I understand they don't move themselves. And it looks like a perimeter drain would be a good idea so a backhoe might come in handy.

All TBD. But a big track drive snow thrower would take a long time and be pretty expensive for a single purpose product.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-03-14 at 07:20 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

There are a number of used Massey Ferguson tractors for sale locally. What's to know?

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I can only say that, in the year or so I took learning about these machines and looking for the perfect one, it always came back to two mfg's.....Deere and Kubota. Sure, there were other recommendations but all in all the majority of "votes" went to those two mfg's.
    I am very happy with my purchase but realisitically have no other point of reference to compare it to.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I can only say that, in the year or so I took learning about these machines and looking for the perfect one, it always came back to two mfg's.....Deere and Kubota. Sure, there were other recommendations but all in all the majority of "votes" went to those two mfg's.
    I am very happy with my purchase but realisitically have no other point of reference to compare it to.
    I know people with Kiotis and Mahindras as well as Kubota. They are all popular in the area and the two closest dealers to me are in fact a Kioti and Mahindra dealer.

Bought a chain saw at North Country Tractor in Concord in part because they are a Deere dealer. The salesperson steered me to their absolute smallest tractor (1023) and touted mowing ability even though I told him we will have 12 acres of woods that hasn't been logged for over 30 years, a 100 yard driveway, and don't plan on using it for mowing. I got the impression he was selling against Kubota and Mahindra more than he was listening to what I needed. So Deere is off to a bad start. The nearest Kubota dealer, Townline, has a terrible reputation with most of the people in the area (there are two others an hour away).

There is nothing I need to do with it right away after we close mid September so I'll just keep asking questions. The advice of most people is that a sub compact will be too small for what I will need to do and that the smallest unit I should consider would be something like the Kubota B series or Mahindra Max Xl, and that the next size up is probably warranted. Front end loader and hydrostatic trans are near unanimous. Backhoe advice is much mixed: some say for sure get one, others that I won't use it much. But renting doesn't seem like the best choice for a somewhat remote second home where I'll only be there here and there.

Inspection is in a week and I'll have a much better idea about what I'm up against then.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-10-14 at 11:17 AM.

If your property is anything like mine, backhoe is more useful than any other add on including a loader. Rocks stop a loader.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If your property is anything like mine, backhoe is more useful than any other add on including a loader. Rocks stop a loader.
    What is your opinion on tires? Most of them are equipped with "Industrial" tires. But I don't have lawn to worry about, seems like Ag tires would be better?

0 Not allowed!

I'll post pics of what I've accomplished with my B series when I get to a PC.
    Suffice to say that, when I was trenching to install drainage at my house, the driver for the landscaping company that was delivering material was impressed to see what was being done with a compact 21hp tractor. Besides the trench, I had to move my cast concrete stairs ~20' out to gain the room needed to work. Two stumps were also pulled around that time.

For a first-timer on a tractor such as myself, I was pleased to hear the kind words from the driver. Point is, they are plenty capable in compact form and based on what you describe you'd be best served to steer clear of the sub-compacts altogether (Kubota BX series for example) IMO.
    Backhoe is essential to achieve any real digging.

As pictured, I have the R4 industrial tires (just noticed my typo a couple posts back). They offer plenty of traction in many conditions however certain snow conditions can result in the treads packing in. Now I have a set of rear chains, thanks to my next door neighbor.

0 Not allowed!

I once rented a teramite machine from a local hardware store that rents machines. I was strongly advised to pass on that and rent two machines; a compact excavator and a bobcat/skid-steer. I ignored the advice and rented one machine with two implements (loader and bucket). We were pulling about 10-15 stumps, mostly pine, and excavating some crap sandy fill from in front of the porch. I figured half a day tops. We rented the machine for the day anyway as it was cost effective.

Took me all day and then some.

The backhoe was reasonably useful. Pulled the stumps without any problems. Once I got the hang of it that work went quick. Working the wrist pops roots with ease. The problem with the bucket was those machines only give you something like 60-degrees of lateral movement. Excavating earth was nice, except I could only plop the dirt right next to the hole. This sucks. A real excavator lets you pivot and drop the bucket anywhere you want, including behind the machine.

I had a helluva time mastering the front end loader. I wound up pushing the dirt around far more than I wound up picking it up. Half the runs I took resulted in a half empty bucket at best. Because I had to drop the dirt right next to the holes I'd excavated, mostly I wound up pushing half the pile right back into the hole I'd excavated. Fuggin' dumb!

Grading was also sub-optimal with the machine. It lacked traction to grade well. Although I may have gotten better at this with some more experience with the machine. Maybe.

As I understand it, I could have done a much better job skimming the first 5-6" of fill out of the front lawn with a skid-steer. Then spread topsoil and regraded a lot easier with the same machine. And the real excavator probably would have done the stumps and holes in 2/3's the time.

My (half informed) advice is use the right tool for the job. How many times do you actually intend to use the bucket? I'd cut the trees, mark the area you want to pull stumps from, try to find the major rocks that need excavating, then rent a proper excavator and do it all at once.

0 Not allowed!

Backhoes on these units vary, and swing from 150 to 180. The larger the tractor the longer the reach, so that factors into it as well.

The capacity of the loaders, ditto. Some of them measure at the attachment points, some 24" out, and the bucket size varies. Also the larger units have the skid steer style quick change.

Everybody I know with the B series is pretty happy and Kubota has added new models to the line up to a 33hp 4 cylinder. So something like one of those or the Mahindra Max 26 XL may be a great choice. Haven't checked pricing on the Kubotas yet but the difference between a Mahindra Max XL 26 and the 3016 HST is $4,000.

There is also the Tier 3 vs. Tier 4 conundrum. Some models are already out as Tier 4, which are claimed to be more powerful and economical. But those in transition are claiming there will be price increases of $3,000 to $4,000. Most of the compacts are already Tier 4 while the larger models are changing.

Kubota comparison.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-10-14 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There are a number of used Massey Ferguson tractors for sale locally. What's to know?
    Masseys are allegedly the most popular tractor in North America, probably the most common tractor in Canada for sure, they cater to the agricultural uses rather than construction

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I'm pricing out a 3016 and Max28XL from Mahindra right now from my local dealer. I'll let you know the results.

From my initial research and subsequent spreadsheet creation for comparing ~30hp models, the Mahinda stacks up pretty well against the competition.

Wifey already gave me the approval to spend the $$,$$$ years ago. She's easy like that. 30 second conversation: "Hey, I think we'll need to replace our tractor in the next year or two with a new model" -"Ok, is it expensive?" "Yes, very" -"Well, if it's what we need, then lets get it".

That's a dangerous woman to have around.....and people wonder why I have 7 bikes and a sports car in a heated oversized garage. I have to be my own spend-thrift or shit will get crazy real quick with the toys.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 08-11-14 at 10:09 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R