Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4243435363738394041424344
Results 1,076 to 1,094 of 1094

Tractors - Educate me

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Re: Tractors - Educate me

Seems my Kubota is becoming not a huge fan of the cold as something was preventing the fuel shutoff solenoid from opening. The kicker was that everything else worked, just no voltage getting to the solenoid.

So the following 4hrs involved two phone calls to MB Tractor service for guidance and a whole lot of frustration once I realized all my safety switches were perfectly fine. I had engine covers off and the dash assembly came apart at one point....and of course this has to happen the day after the power exhaust vent on my boiler lets go. The idea was to split wood in the morning in order to keep the house warm (because I did not split enough in the fall) then source a replacement power exhaust and now the tractor was not starting. An otherwise very challenging morning sorting things out.

In the end, it seems my ignition switch is either becoming flakey or the contacts are dirty.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Seems my Kubota is becoming not a huge fan of the cold as something was preventing the fuel shutoff solenoid from opening. The kicker was that everything else worked, just no voltage getting to the solenoid.
    Frigid cold mornings, anything can happen, I lucked out, everything started, Kymco, turn the key to on, wait for the fuel pump, then turn the rest of the way, fired right up, first time I have used it at -15 my Honda snowblower , as always, first pull, it's got AC electric start and I've never used it. Next, I start Stoneman's wood splitter, iirc, it has an 8.5hp Kohler. I ain't gonna go out and verify. It didn't start so easy, every pull on the cord was like fighting 50w oil and 15:1 compression, after a dozen pulls, I could see the exhaust puffing, probably 20 pulls before I got it going, the hardest workout for me of the day, when it's 30 it'll start by 3rd pull, max.

for such a cold day, I didn't break or snap anything all day

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

My Kubota got towed into the heated garage via my little 4x4 quad tonight.

No start a few days ago. Turns out I still had untreated summer diesel in it. Gel’d up bad. Consistency of crisco.

We’ll see how it all melts by tomorrow, garage is kept at 45 all winter.

Surprised that little 360cc Kawasaki pulled it on snow covered iced driveway.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    does not surprise me at all, unbelievable what I have pulled with my 443cc Kymco

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    My Kubota got towed into the heated garage via my little 4x4 quad tonight.

No start a few days ago. Turns out I still had untreated summer diesel in it. Gel’d up bad. Consistency of crisco.

We’ll see how it all melts by tomorrow, garage is kept at 45 all winter.

We put Power Service Diesel 911 in the fuel year-round because it’s hard to know when the stations switch over to winter mix. There are a number of competing products.

Who knows if that would have saved you.

0 Not allowed!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    General Simon Bolivar Butler

iTrader Score

I don't know if you can still do it on the newer tractors but we'd mix in kerosene in the winter on the farm tractor. Worked well, the anti-gel additives are probably more convenient though.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

4 stores, all sold out of Power Service Diesel 911. Apparently it's seriously hard to come by around these parts right now.

No matter, Kerosene did the trick. K1 is what the Kubota manual recommends for fuel below 0 degrees or so. Use the Kero to melt the wax on the fuel filter, then filled the bowl with straight Kero. Drained the tank and refilled with winter mix diesel with anti-gel additive. Hit the space heater right on the injection pump/injector lines to melt whatever wax was undoubtedly in there.

She fired up after a couple tries. She'll live in the garage for the rest of the winter like normal, but I sure as hell won't get gelled again now that this hard education took place.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Purchased a gallon of additive from TSC last fall. Gotta get it in the offseason else the shelves, as you found out, remain empty.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I’ve never had a problem starting the Little Kubota in -5 temp ranges, it always started with ease. After reading the last few posts on fuel issues, I figured now would be a good time to start the JD 510 with the blizzard coming tomorrow. Quick shot of starting fluid and it started fine. It needed fuel, but the station was sold out of diesel, so I put 15 gallons of kerosene in it. It seems to run a bit smoother with kerosene mixed in, it’s probably mixed 50/50

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Seems there is a crunch on #2 heating oil deliveries too. I resorted to taking 2 jugs to the station today for the "good" ('n taxed) stuff. I do not think I was the only one. Someone challenged me and I lied, said it was for my tractor. Not interested in the discussion today.

Story going around that an elderly woman went out while on auto delivery. Called her provider to no answer, full voice mail box. Without knowing what to do, she called the police. They dropped by the providers' storefront on her behalf. Turns out she was "next in line" the very next day and got a generous offer for someone to hand deliver a few gal of road diesel.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

It’s hard to find Kero right now, and your experience with heating oil delays mirrors what I keep hearing down here. Even got an email from my provider saying typical two business day wait doesn’t apply right now.

I filled up last week so I’m good, but some guys I work with are takin a big risk not at least ordering ASAP.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I’ve never had a problem starting the Little Kubota in -5 temp ranges, it always started with ease. After reading the last few posts on fuel issues, I figured now would be a good time to start the JD 510 with the blizzard coming tomorrow. Quick shot of starting fluid and it started fine. It needed fuel, but the station was sold out of diesel, so I put 15 gallons of kerosene in it. It seems to run a bit smoother with kerosene mixed in, it’s probably mixed 50/50
    The summer diesel I had in it turned to butter, no exaggeration. She had no chance.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Seems there is a crunch on #2 heating oil deliveries too..
    we ordered yesterday, but we still got 1/3 tank, we're not automatic fill up on oil cause we supplement with wood, when we were on autofill, one time they didn't even put 5 gallons in, and it was always low amounts 25-30 gallons at most, we do expect a fill up, close to 200 gallons, middle of next week, next regular delivery day in my area, with this weather, I suspect we will be below by the time they get here. finally got some wood in my basement this past weekend, but the top of the pile needs a few days in the kiln, so to speak

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

From NES: this sounds bad-ish. This guy is a tow truck driver so he gets around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappa, post: 5750242, member: 10141
    Update from my post yesterday:

After I couldn't get my oil supplier (Rynes, Hudson, NH) on the phone, I drove up to their office in Derry to find out WTF is going on, there was a line of about a dozen people ahead of me. They told me their phone system was down, it was so overloaded with calls that it crashed. Their corporate phone system routes all the calls through their main office in Concord, that's why all the phones in their other locations were down too.

Anyway, I inquired if my name was still on the list for a delivery sometime around Jan 4 or 5 and to make sure they had my current CC# on file. Somehow I lost my spot in the queue.

They were telling everyone that deliveries ordered yesterday (Jan 2) will be filled sometime the week of January 15th. Seriously ??? I can tell you for sure that a sh*tload of people won't make it the next two weeks without running out. This won't be good.

Thankfully I can deal with this situation myself, I already jugged-in 65 gallons of diesel fuel since Friday, but a lot of people don't have the means or ability to do this for themselves.

The price of diesel just took another big jump too. I was talking to the guys at the gas station, they say they've been inundated with diesel jug-fillers.

The plumbing and heating guys are already looking at unlimited overtime for the foreseeable future, this could get really ugly. e

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 01-04-18 at 04:35 AM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    General Simon Bolivar Butler

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Glad we don’t use any heating oil this time of year, we filled up in August and don’t plan to fill it again until next fall. The outdoor boiler has burnt more wood in the past 2 weeks, than it has all season. The oil company I drive buy on the way to work everyday has had at least a $0.10 price jump every day for the past week

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton Oil
    During these extreme weather conditions, please know our trucks are delivering daily. Automatic customers must come first as we are responsible for their heat. An extreme high volume of calls and online orders are coming in. Any will call customer should call at least 14 days in advance before any scheduled delivery. Please view your gauge and make sure you call when it hits the 1/4 mark to be sure you do not have an emergency situation. If you are worried about pipes you can always add 10 gallons of kerosene or diesel from a store. Keep warm and keep safe. Spring is on the way....we promise.
    It doesn't hurt to be on their list of people they can trust to pay their bill immediately.

I filled up just before Christmas and I supplement with wood so I'm good to go.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I used to supplement with wood. But I'm not living there presently. So I'm stressing over this doubly; I'm using oil way faster than normal-thanks to the cold snap and not being there to feed the wood stove, and I'm not around to monitor.. anything. I had pipes freeze when a thermostat bought it last year unnexpectedly. So I'm over here shitting bricks.

I actually considered getting some of those "smart" thermostats just so I could monitor inside temps remotely. Unfortunately I also pulled the plug on the cable service there. So the house is now offline.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    From NES: this sounds bad-ish. This guy is a tow truck driver so he gets around.
    That guy sounds a lot like everyone else who has all year to prepare for shit like this but finds himself (like the countless others) needing, for example, a generator but only because now they're up against a wall. Unrealistic expectations to say the least and I don't blame the oil companies one bit.

For whatever it's worth, I order a delivery once a year. I ordered from Rymes on Dec 21st and received delivery on the 27th. Got plenty of white oak burning away so my biggest issue is my tractor's electrical issue. Might not be the start switch after all.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

So after a bit of heating then spraying some white lithium grease into the keyhole, my tractor is back to starting reliably!

Performed the heating and spraying the night prior to this recent snowstorm, walked out the next morning and things have been back to normal ever since.

2 Not allowed!