Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5253536373839404142434445
Results 1,101 to 1,117 of 1117

Tractors - Educate me

Re: Tractors - Educate me

Last winter the RF R4 went flat. Didn’t think anything of it, local Tire Shop checked bead and stem and,remounted it.

Come back a few weeks later, flat again. Spray with water, don’t see any bubbling, refill. Weeks later, flat again.

Brought it to Tire dealer and they put it in the tank. Finally found bubbling on the side of a tread block. But when they looked inside, they couldn’t find any puncture. Wound up putting a tube in it.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Concord Tractor is amazing. It took a while to repair my machine due to receiving the wrong parts but they more than made up for it even though they had zero obligation to do so. The parts issue was on the supplier end and the approach Concord Tractor took in order to ensure I was pleased.....let's just say "above and beyond".

So now my tractor is back in action once again!

In other news, I recently heard from a friend asking about mowing some acreage. I didn't have a mowing deck so I figured now was the time I simply HAD to fix that small detail....

Scooped up a 60" Kioti rear mount mower (pics later)

My CFO is on the verge of killing me.

Forgiveness > Permission

0 Not allowed!

Got chains? I grooved the R4’s which helped quite a bit on ice, but deep snow in the woods is a problem.

The L series Kubotas require spacers to use tire chains. Ordered a pair from Bro-Tek as they come with all the hardware and the OEM ones apparently do not.

Looking at Ofa Eco 8 chains or the Acquiline Talon for the rear tires (15-19.5).

The fronts are a “floatation” size (27-8.5x15) and the dealer recommended some diamond pattern ATV chains.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-01-18 at 08:22 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I need to find someone local to me for a few repairs to my 510. It’s leaking fluid from the transfer case where the front driveshaft goes in, looks like an easy fix. Also need to rebuild 2 hydraulic cylinders, the front bucket curl, and one of the rear stabilizer. The stabilizer will be expensive, as the pin has a lot of chips

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

The Kubota L series tractors require rear wheel spacers to mount tire chains. Anything over 1.5” seems like they would work.

Purchased some Bro-Tek (which is in Canada, not the US, if you care) 2.5” spacers, which have a reputation for fitting well, includes all hardware, and is a little less than the Kubota spacers, which dealers don’t seem to stock. Did one wheel this evening.

Getting the wheel off was pretty easy. We have an 18V cordless DeWalt impact gun, and it loosened the nuts but not the four bolts. Had a 24” breaker bar and 3’ pipe so once I got them started they came right off.

Moving the wheel was no problem: getting the studs lined up was. Used a tip from TBN and put the wheel on a polyethylene sheet and that let me man handle it enough to get one nut started.

One little “gotcha” was that you had to reuse two of the lock washers from the OEM bolts. They’re captive....Had to put the bolts in a vise and lever them off. Otherwise, real straightforward job.

Used red Loctite on the spacer bolts. My 1/2” Matco torque wrench maxes out at 160 lb ft, which is the required value.

Other side tomorrow. Ordering Ofa Eco 8 chains for the rears and some diamond pattern chains for the front. Got by plowing with grooved R4’s but heading into the woods in deep snow resulted in having to extricate myself with the bucket a few times.

- Practice makes perfect. Installed the other side in 23 minutes!

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 10-09-18 at 05:12 PM.

Be extra mindful of the front chains. I've heard several stories of blown front diffs in certain situations. I'm not comfortable enough to make the jump but my advice still would be to disengage 4WD if you are doing any amount of turning.

In other news, I had a chance to work the new (to me) mower this past Saturday.

Turned this:
    Tractors - Educate me-img_20181006_110136188_hdr-jpg

Into this:
    Tractors - Educate me-img_20181006_130834797-jpg

With this:
    Tractors - Educate me-img_20181006_130839561_hdr-jpg

It was a ton of work but a lot of fun to reclaim the land. What's pictured was roughly half the job.

1 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

That field looks Familiar!

Was great to hang with you brother. We need to do it again! Bring the fam next time! we can have more smores

OH btw. Went to the hospital Sunday night . Kidney stones. WTF.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Not exactly tractor direct, but somewhat related.
    After looking for a bagger for my ZT, I found a place called Orange Aftermarket that sells exactly what I wanted. They only deal through Kubota distributors, not direct to public. But Chappell tractor does deal with them and they seem to really like their products. My bagger comes in this week and hopefully it's the cat's ass as it is supposed to be. But those with Kubota tractors I thought this might be a decent place for some accessories. They seem to make nice improvements over the factory equipment. My mower bagger from Kubota was only available as a non-powered unit and reviews said it was fine for grass but not leaves. These guys make a powered unit and what is pretty nice is it isn't powered from the deck but the engine direct via an external pulley. Eager to try it this leaf harvest.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

My BIL grows 500 acres of corn and soybeans in Ontario. We visited last weekend.

He has a bunch of tractors from antiques

To a Deere 1630

To 120+hp units used mostly for towing trailers and lifting skids of corn and soybeans.

To the grandfather, used for tilling, plowing, planting etc.

He also has a 180hp Combine, which is over 15’ high and the front end must be 25’.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; Yesterday at 05:48 PM.

Growing up in the country, there were farms all over. Couple of old timers still had the Farmall M's, one guy had the Super M, slightly more power. They were the cats meow in their heyday, lots of power from a gas engine compared to other tractors at the time, especially the Ford "n" series which was so popular post war.
    That 1630 looks a bit like our old 2630 which was our staple tractor, we only farmed about 60 acres, the rest was pasture and forest. It came in around 70hp diesel and replaced an old JD 530 which was about 35hp gas. Huge difference in usability.

1 Not allowed!

hmm
    finish mower vs brush hog vs flail mower. thinking i may need to lean towards the flail mower. IF i ever get a tractor. ON a boom would be killer

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    hmm
    finish mower vs brush hog vs flail mower. thinking i may need to lean towards the flail mower. IF i ever get a tractor. ON a boom would be killer
    How many acres?

I find myself using the DR Power brush mower 30”, 14hp Kawasaki) more than the 60” rotary. Slower but you can get in close to trees, rocks etc.

0 Not allowed!

Wellllll 54 acres. The majority of the field is hayed by a local farmer otherwise probably 5-10 or so acres of fields and trails that i'd like to maintain. The grass in the open that the farmer does not get to can be as high as 4' tall (knocked down at the end of the year) and the trails can have up to 3" brush that need to be wrestled back. i'd like to reestablish some of the trails and possible in some areas maybe look to create new ones.

Granted once/if i have a tractor things could be regularly maintained.

no area is without rocks, stumps, hills and steep swales oh and a couple of ponds

0 Not allowed!
    Gino

My take on mowers.
    Finish mower - good for short grass, doing your lawn, etc. Try to do a field and you'll bog them down and clog them up.
    Rotary mower/brush hog - Good for longer grass and field cuts. Will do a little bit of mulching and will destroy heavier growth if you have it on a tractor with power.
    Flail mower - Never had one but my understanding it will do great with heavy grass and light hard growth. It really chews stuff up. If you are maintaining established fields, this is a great choice.

We had a 72" finish mower and a 60" rotary on the farm. The finish mower did the 5acre lawn. Ran it behind a small Ford 2n, probably a hair too much mower for that tractor but did fine.

The rotary was a beaten bitch. It did field edging, field recovery, pasture mowing, (a flail would have easily done some of this). But where it would shine was heavier brush destruction. On the back of our larger diesel, I could lift that mower about 5' in the air to the back edge, bring it up to speed and back it into a group of small trees (2" or smaller diameter) or heavy brush along the fields where it was neglected for a bit. Back it in then slowly lower it and it would clean house. That said, that old brush hog had more repair welds and I'm pretty sure the blade edges were worn down 4 or more inches. The couple times I sheared the pins on the blade set and had to put them back on, you'd swear those blades weighed 80lbs.

0 Not allowed!

We had a 60" brush hog on our 35HP John Deere 820 growing up. If it wasn't for the top link on the hitch, it probably would have hit the back of the tractor after I accidently made it digest a 6" granite boundary marker. The 5/8" blades were barely damaged but they kissed the outer housing of the mower and peeled a section of the sheet metal back like a tin can. Like yours, ours had a lot of welds too!

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Funny story about mowers and tractors, some older tractors didn't have a live PTO, meaning they didnt really have their own drive system within the tractor. The PTO was driven off of the feed into the transmission. So the clutch had to be let out to get the PTO to spin. So when you think about it, the PTO was directly connected to the rear wheels. My grandfather had purchased that finish mower for his 2n which has a PTO as described. The salesman said he needed a PTO slip clutch to prevent the mower from "pushing" the tractor as the spinning mass of the blades at speed could feed back into the transmission when trying to slow or turn or whatever, the slip clutch allowed the PTO shaft off of the mower to spin faster than the tractor PTO but not slower. Anyway, my grandfather wouldn't buy it, too expensive. First time mowing he tried to slow down for a turn at the end of the yard but the blades took over and pushed the tractor right into the brush. It was kind of funny but terrifying all at once, he was standing on the clutch and the brake levers and that little tractor went straight into the woods a good 30 feet. He backed out, disengaged the PTO, and brought the tractor back to the house. Jumped in his truck and went and bought the slip clutch.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    hmm
    on a excavator is even better

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"