Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 828383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1202

Tractors - Educate me

Re: Tractors - Educate me

Home ownership = always something to do

While not overly aesthetic, the leaves feed the trees as they break down. If you want to maintain healthy trees, be careful removing too much of the underbrush/mulch accumulation. Also, that mat of leaves keeps the heavy underbrush from getting too thick which would ultimately be more of a hassle to keep looking good. If you have a ton to do around the house, this would be low on my priority list.

Hydrostatic is essentially a hydraulic transmission. The engine runs a hydraulic pump, and the drive is through a hydraulic motor. It's nice because you have infinite control of speed without shifting gears. All the cool kids have them....

2 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Good call on the leaves... totally makes sense. It's definitely low on the list, we aren't even completely unpacked yet. The better half wants a house warming / engagement party mid-May or so, so the yard cleanup started crossing my mind and starting to come up with a game plan. Figured maybe I can deal with that while she figures out where she wants to put everything lol.

0 Not allowed!

+1 on the comments re: the wooded section. In my experience, pulling up that mat is a lot of work. I don't think you'll get much success with a leaf blower.

Hydrostatic is awesome. Makes the machine infinitely easier to control. Without it I'd never feel comfortable getting close to the house, fence, trees, etc. As said, infinite speed control. Also easy to back up, multi-point turns and such.

I do not bag. I have a bagger but it has always been broken and I'm honestly not a fan. IMO mulching is better as it leaves nutrients on the lawn. If you bag you'll need to fertilize more. My ex FIL was a landscaper and insisted bagging was a waste of time and effort. That didn't stop him from offering the service to clients, but..

This year I need a de-thatching rake and to get serious about trying to grow some lawn. Tractor supply sells a cheap tow-behind that looks to do the job.

0 Not allowed!

What size is the yard?

I have 2 acres and have a Cub Cadet XT1 LT50, it's borderline not big enough. It's a good tractor, but I'm now wishing a year later I would have purchased a commercial grade mower.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I only bag if I missed a mow or two. Taking it off is better than leaving it on there to crush the grass under it. But you are better off mulching it in. I was told that if you mulch leaves into the grass, lime it as the leaves are acidic. But I only mulch the first couple weeks of falling leaves then bag'em up. It seems any amount of leaves creates a ton of heavy thatch probably defeating the purpose of mulching.

Thatching and aeration is good for the lawn. I run a tow behind plug aerator several times a year, wife hates it as it tears up the grass for a week. I just picked up a thatcher on CL or $35. I really wanted a front mount for the ZT so I could mow the thatch as it is pulled up. But $35 vs $400, I'll go back around and mow after I thatch. Next on my list is a drop spreader. I have a tow behind broadcast unit, but it is getting worn (read as extremely rusted) and I don't like throwing weed control near the flower beds.

1 Not allowed!

All good info for sure. We had the condo for a while, but that was life on autopilot. This is my first venture into owning/maintaining land. We have 5.5 acres total (with access to a lot more). Supposedly there's quite the trail system out there and they neighbors are super OHRV friendly (minus the conservation land).

If I had to guess there's probably an acre worth of grass that'll need to be maintained, with some interesting "features" of rock around the walkout basement.

0 Not allowed!

An acre... I think you'll want around a 48" or better cut unless you want to spend time out there. I have half an acre and do my neighbors half acre in addition about twice a month. I had a 42" tractor and it took a while. I sold that and bought a 48" ZT. It's overkill for sure, but I'd rather be doing other stuff.

1 Not allowed!

Looks like there are some beastly Exmark ZT's out there. Probably overkill but like you, I'd rather be doing other stuff.

Exmark 52in mower - farm & garden - by owner - sale

This Craftsman 42" looks pretty well taken care of as well.

Nice craftsman yt3000 tractor ride mower 21hp auto 42" w/dual bagger - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Apparently in general these aren't quite as expensive as I was anticipating.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    While I'm not an expert on these things.. that looks to be a newer equivalent of what I have. It does well and mows a fair amount of grass pretty quickly. I have a bagger and a tow-behind trailer for mine. I rarely use the trailer and have never used the bagger.

I don't know if I believe the "tight turn" bit. I suspect that is marketing. Mine is a pain in the ass to turn around. But with a yard big enough it is a non-issue. You get to figure out a pattern with minimal tight turns after a while and it becomes less of an issue. Maybe not as much for you if you have rocks and trees and "features" in your yard.

0 Not allowed!

Keep in mind while shopping that baggers on most homeowner mowers are between $300-500 option. That's not a bad deal for that Craftsman.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

That craftsman isn't bad. It is very similar the Husqvarna I had, looks like the identical bagger. Mine was from before the hp wars and ONLY had a v-twin 15hp. It was a great machine for the 12 years I had it. Still running today I believe.
    I would stay away from that Exmark. They are good machines, but that thing has 2600+ hours on it. And from the looks of it, 1500 were put on in Baghdad.

1 Not allowed!

I thought this is the OVERGROWN lawn tractors thread.

Ryan - give a shout if you need some help with clean up. I can make your life a lot easier with those matted leaves and such.

Congrats on the new home!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I thought this is the OVERGROWN lawn tractors thread.

Ryan - give a shout if you need some help with clean up. I can make your life a lot easier with those matted leaves and such.

Congrats on the new home!

Hey they're bigger than any other tractor I own currently

I'll definitely keep you in mind as I come up with a game plan, thanks!

0 Not allowed!

Talked with the guy about the Craftsman. Anybody down in the Billerica area willing to take a look at it for me? It's proving hard for me to get down there in the evenings this week. The guy said he'd deliver it for a super reasonable rate, but I can't bring myself to buy something off CL sight unseen.

If not, no worries. I can try and get down there this weekend.

0 Not allowed!

First off, congrats on the new house.

I was in a similar situation in 2016, and had a 4 acre lawn/yard to maintain. I was going to buy a cheap rider, but after I factored in the cost of it, maintenance, fuel, and most importantly... my free time, I ended up paying to have it mowed every week. The plan was only do this for the first year, then still buy a mower and start mowing myself in 2017. Not sure how big the lawn is, but it may be worth looking into. Iím having 4 acres mowed for $100 a week, his lawnmower and gas.. takes him 3 hours.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I’m having 4 acres mowed for $100 a week, his lawnmower and gas.. takes him 3 hours.
    I'd have a lot of grass on 3.5 acres and a cheap lawnmower LOL

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

I’m having 4 acres mowed for $100 a week, his lawnmower and gas.. takes him 3 hours.

I've done my share of 4 acre lawns, (getting paid by landlord 40 years ago, on belt drive JD), not something I would do in free time, if I had that much lawn today, I would pay someone, even if I owned the mower, good mowing weather is good motorcycle riding weather

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I'd have a lot of grass on 3.5 acres and a cheap lawnmower LOL

All depends what you want to spend your free time doing, I prefer not to have a grass lawn, haircap moss, soft on bare feet, never needs mowing, or watering, prefers no loam, loam makes it compete with weeds, grass, where I do have loam,
    I try to eradicate grass, and plant white clover, I take care of what needs "mowing" with a corded electric weed-whacker in 20 minutes maybe once month

most of my backyard is pine needles and orchids (lady slipper, rattlesnake plantain, etc)

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

After looking around more and thinking about it, that acre+ includes the house and driveway. It’s good size and wardents a ride on but not large. I tend to over think things. The craftsman already sold anyway but the guy seems legit (flips them a lot). Said he would let me know when he gets another comparable machine in the next week or two. Oddly an amazing CL seller, between phone and text I already trust him and I’m normally super skeptical.

Also said he’d deliver it cheap even sight unseen with all photos and records of what he did to fix it up ahead of time, offered to pay for his time/expenses if I didn’t buy it for whatever reason. Seems like he has a low margin but good thing going.

Obviously looking for red flags along the way but a new CL experience for me.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 04-03-19 at 08:52 PM.

0 Not allowed!

Patriots Day 2019 put this in my yard .

Couple different set -ups on her.

Glad to finally join this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tractors - Educate me-img_3959-jpg   Tractors - Educate me-img_3960-jpg  

6 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Nice setup. That's exactly what I need. I've been doing everything with a bobcat and a backhoe attachment for a few years now. Bobcats aren't exactly designed for woods work!

1 Not allowed!

Let us know how the New Holland treats you. I've heard good things and some not so good things about them. I personally like their controls layout and general construction. What is that attachment on the Australian version pic?

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    What is that attachment on the Australian version pic?
    That is a Farmi winch P351 model .

180 foot cable with a 7700 lbs pull rating .

1 Not allowed!

That winch would be killer for getting logs out of swampy areas. New Hollands are just rebadged fords aren't they? Ford made good machines if I recall correctly.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    That is a Farmi winch P351 model .

180 foot cable with a 7700 lbs pull rating .
    I hate you.

Right now, I tie an arborist rope to the log, bring it back to the trail, put a snatch block on the far side of the trail, then tow it out. Then back up and retie it to the 3pt hitch to drag it out. Works, but not fast.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750