Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314152545 ... LastLast

Tractors - Educate me

Re: Tractors - Educate me

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I thought you were looking at a used Kubota?

BTW the salesman offered this decision gate: if you want a front-mount snow thrower, stick with the larger B series. I can see how that would be handy as this driveway is 200 yards long, but you would lose the use of the FEL. Decisions, decisions.
    what would you use the loader for in winter except for piling snow, if your throwing it, no need, swap to bucket once winter is over, it becomes a twice a year swap, everyone that I know with a rear mounted snow thrower wishes they spent the extra $$ for a front mounted thrower

If I was in the position to buy a tractor, it would be a used JD 110

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

The front mount blowers are nice but the rear mounts aren't too difficult to use especially with an HST. Also consider that you could find a used plow truck in the same price range as a new snow blower attachment. It won't be as neat as the snow blower but it is much faster (and has heat).

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    what would you use the loader for in winter except for piling snow, if your throwing it, no need, swap to bucket once winter is over, it becomes a twice a year swap, everyone that I know with a rear mounted snow thrower wishes they spent the extra $$ for a front mounted thrower
    It's not our primary residence so we are going to have someone plow it. So while we will need to clean up, there is no initial need for a snow thrower. I'm told by other part-timers that if the snow has been sitting for a freeze/thaw cycle or two, I am never going to be able to throw it, I will need the FEL.

I'm starting to question the utility of a backhoe. Most of what I would need it for (I think) is to pick up rocks, take out stumps, and dig one trench for a perimeter drain. One user has suggested that a bucket spade - basically an 18" shovel that attaches to the front of the bucket - will do that a lot better and only costs $400.
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...using-fel.html
    Other than 0 percent financing there's no big price advantage to buying it with the tractor and there are a number of used ones out there.

Reviews on the backhoes are pretty mixed. They're heavy, expensive, and you have to put down the feet to use them. The contractors seem to have gone to small excavators, which are readily available as rentals.

Looking at the area I will need to clear, it turns out to be a lot fewer trees and a lot more brush, so the brush cutter would get a lot more use to begin with than a backhoe.

Granite is roughly 170 lbs / cu ft so with that in mind I have a bunch of 150 to 500 lbs rocks to move.

If I was in the position to buy a tractor, it would be a used JD 110
    OK - what do those do that Kubotas don't? Because what I am hearing is that Deeres are overpriced, the dealer salesperson has not learned why we have two ears and one mouth, and that now that Deere is building their own and Yanmar is selling here as Yanmar instead of rebranded Deere, parts availability is starting to get weird.

From tractor data thats a 40hp tractor? pretty big in hilly woods.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-16-14 at 08:04 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

One user has suggested that a bucket spade - basically an 18" shovel that attaches to the front of the bucket - will do that a lot better and only costs $400.
    If all you intend to do is pop stumps and pull small to medium sized rocks that are near the surface, you can get by with a spade. Large stumps will require you to reposition the entire tractor in order to hit it from multiple angles. If a rock is somewhat deep in the ground, the spade won't reach. If I were in the market, a backhoe is a must have. The added weight isn't necessarily a bad thing and most of the modern ones can be removed fairly easily.

0 Not allowed!

It's not our primary residence so we are going to have someone plow it. So while we will need to clean up, there is no initial need for a snow thrower. I'm told by other part-timers that if the snow has been sitting for a freeze/thaw cycle or two, I am never going to be able to throw it, I will need the FEL.

I'm starting to question the utility of a backhoe. Most of what I would need it for (I think) is to pick up rocks, take out stumps, and dig one trench for a perimeter drain. One user has suggested that a bucket spade - basically an 18" shovel that attaches to the front of the bucket - will do that a lot better and only costs $400. Other than 0 percent financing there's no big price advantage to buying it with the tractor and there are a number of used ones out there.

Reviews on the backhoes are pretty mixed. They're heavy, expensive, and you have to put down the feet to use them. The contractors seem to have gone to small excavators, which are readily available as rentals.

Looking at the area I will need to clear, it turns out to be a lot fewer trees and a lot more brush, so the brush cutter would get a lot more use to begin with than a backhoe.

Granite is roughly 170 lbs / cu ft so with that in mind I have a bunch of 150 to 500 lbs rocks to move.

OK - what do those do that Kubotas don't? Because what I am hearing is that Deeres are overpriced, the dealer salesperson has not learned why we have two ears and one mouth, and that now that Deere is building their own and Yanmar is selling here as Yanmar instead of rebranded Deere, parts availability is starting to get weird.

*none of my business*
    For what you need done, why not just pay someone to do the work and avoid buying a machine all together? If someone else is going to be plowing the driveway, maybe you could get away with and ATV with a plow for clean-up. At least that would be a toy you could have some fun with.

0 Not allowed!

Can't you remove the FEL bucket and attach a pretty darn effective plow blade anyway?

How many times are you going to use the brush hog? Seems like a one time rental item to me.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 08-16-14 at 08:01 AM.

If you do get a backhoe you should invest in good gear and try some track days.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How many times are you going to use the brush hog? Seems like a one time rental item to me.
    Having grown up with a lot of field land and a brush hog, it's something that gets used often. Your neighbors usually become more friendly when they know you have one.

0 Not allowed!

There isn't a requirement to drop the stabilzers every time the hoe is used. Some weight in the bucket will help considerably but the machine will bounce a bit if the operator isn't smooth on the hoe controls. Most of the digging for my drainage was done without utilizing the stabilizers.

The entire hoe assy on mine can be disconnected in 5min and remounted in about 10min or so, likely due to the fact that I am dropping it on soft ground most of the time.

I have been doing some side work with my machine so if you find you're still undecided by the time you buy the camp, PM me and we can work something out.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Having grown up with a lot of field land and a brush hog, it's something that gets used often. Your neighbors usually become more friendly when they know you have one.
    Nearest neighbor on this side is nearly 1/2 mile away.

After walking the property, a heavy duty string trimmer and brush cutter moved to the top of the list. It looks like the drive is going to need some maintenance as well.

Stihl and others make some two-handed string trimmers that can do a lot and will be useful in the wetter areas near a stream. But the brush hog will take out bigger growth and I could open up a couple acres at least.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-16-14 at 08:22 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Your neighbors usually become more friendly when they know you have one.
    That's a reason not to own!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    There isn't a requirement to drop the stabilzers every time the hoe is used. Some weight in the bucket will help considerably but the machine will bounce a bit if the operator isn't smooth on the hoe controls. Most of the digging for my drainage was done without utilizing the stabilizers..
    Do you have a thumb and have you moved many rocks?

0 Not allowed!

Stihl and others make some two-handed string trimmers that can do a lot and will be useful in the wetter areas near a stream.
    I have a Stihl FS250 bicycle handle trimmer and it's a monster. With Gator Magnum trimmer line, you'll mow through any kind of field grass and light brush. Add the heavy triangle brush blade and you can take out 1.5-2" trees without much fuss.

+

1 Not allowed!

Thanks, that looks like it will be the next purchase. Scheduled close is 9/15 and we are waiting on the inspectors report. Makes no sense to buy a big machine before then as the deal can always go south.

0 Not allowed!

Do you have a thumb and have you moved many rocks?
    Yes and yes.
    Largest boulder so far has been the size of a V8 engine. Had to get creative, though, since it was about 5' down but it was eventually pulled and placed elsewhere. Anything larger, I'd have to phone a friend for his machine

0 Not allowed!

I thought you were looking at a used Kubota? As I understood it, you got a mult-implement discount for cash or 3.99, no discount if you went for their 0 percent deal.

BTW the salesman offered this decision gate: if you want a front-mount snow thrower, stick with the larger B series, otherwise go the the heavier L. I can see how that would be handy as this driveway is 200 yards long, but you would lose the use of the FEL. Decisions, decisions.
    I am looking at a used Kubota. Also looking at a new Mahindra. It's good to compare and decide after getting as many options on the table as possible. Heading up to see the Mahindra in person in 5 minutes on the Vmax.

I'm not 100% sold on the front mounted blower, I like having the FEL on there during the winter plus they are crazy expensive. 3pt blower + FEL is a good combo for snow in my mind.

Even though the Mahindra is a good deal bigger, the Kubota is only 2hp less. Still leaning towards the Kubota due to that and a bit smaller footprint.....

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

my understanding that the JD110 (no longer made) was built in the US, engines were imported Yanmar and maybe other parts from other sources

they stopped selling them cause there wasn't a market bigger than what most home owners would need, not big enough far a contractor, they were built to same quality as their construction equipment lineup and not the agricultural side of things

I can't justify a smaller tractor cause for me to justify a tractor at all, I need to use it for my work on average, I spend more than tractor payment to subcontractors to dig test its for septic designs, BUT, then I would need a 1 ton truck and a trailer or a ramp truck, + registration and insurance and on and on and on, it would barely be break even till then , I rent or move stuff by hand with a shovel, wheelbarrow, pry bars and whatever hand tools I have

the size of rocks & stumps I have on my property, even a JD110 isn't big enuf,

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

TheIglu, how'd the Mahindra test drive go?

0 Not allowed!

Randy, I've pushed a rock that size with my 40 horse 2wd behemoth. You would be well served with an old diesel machine for short money if you wanted something for just around the yard.

My visit:

First impressions, very well thought out tractor. Def has one hell of a backhoe for a little 30hp machine, but doesn't stick way off the back like the Kioti's. Controls are well though out, nice seat, tilt wheel, runs smooth for a 3cyl. Has a Mitsubishi engine, not a no-name thing. All maintenance items are easily accessible. Feathering and smooth operation on the FEL is quick to get used to, lot of feathering ability on the valving. Turns out the bucket is a quick attach, I didn't know that. No level indicator though. Hoses going to the rear remotes go under the chassis and are a bit open to the elements. Could be easily protected with a section of PVC pipe on the cheap. Good ground clearance, back end uses portal style axle/hubs. Size is pretty ideal for what my use is. Bucket depth on the FEL is a bit less than I expected, she's pretty shallow though I can't imagine it would mean too much of a difference.

Front mount blower is one hell of a attachment. Way overbuilt and quite a nice piece of equipment, but for $5k+, a plow or rear mounted blower would be a better option.

I sat on it, fired it up and made the FEL go up and down, but refused to drive it. My self control is limited once I'm in motion.

Next step?

See a Kubota in person and compare.

Funny thing happened while I was there. Guy asks me if I like old tractors, of course I do, I own one. Walks me over to this brand new HUGE 40hp Mahindra, says it is the best selling model tractor in the world. At $23k out the door for a 40hp 4wd beast with FEL, I can see why. It is MASSIVE. Starts saying how it's really the same as an International under the skin and how Mahindra has been making IH's since '63. Well, mine is a '62. I start to look a bit closer.

Hmmmm, same knob under the seat for the draft control as I have....no, whole transmission is the same. Same back end. Same engine block. Same injection pump. SAME EVERYTHING, just modern stuff bolted to it. Yeah, here I am thinking all these new tractors are all so high tech and different, they have been using the same tried and true industrial grade engine/chassis/transmission/etc for over 52 years now and it's the best selling model in the world. I have that tractor. No wonder mine is such a unstoppable reliable brute!

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

We don't think this will be a big problem. Here's the "neighborhood."

1 Not allowed!

Given some of the terrain we need to clear, I'm wondering if some walk behind equipment might be a good or better choice.

For example, there are some low areas near a brook we'd like to clear that are wet in the spring, so a tractor might be too heavy. Anyone use something like this DR brush mower? It's 16.5hp, has a pressure system to accomodate side slope (we got those, also).

0 Not allowed!

a tractor might be too heavy
    wise consideration, especially if ruts are in a location visible for others to see

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

snowblowers on a 40hp tractor will cut and blow snow thats been sitting for a freeze/thaw cycle or two without a problem.

i like chains on all 4 tires, a blower on the back and fel on the front with either a bucket or snow pusher.

you can get unstuck with the fel

you can rent or even better hire someone to more than likely doo anything you'd ever need dug for a lot less than a backhoe on the tractor.

personally i like kioti tractors. i think there a great value. if your buying new try to find a tier III tractor.

a heavy duty box blade, bush hog or even a heavy duty flail mower will make short work of the small trees.

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Given some of the terrain we need to clear, I'm wondering if some walk behind equipment might be a good or better choice.

For example, there are some low areas near a brook we'd like to clear that are wet in the spring, so a tractor might be too heavy. Anyone use something like this DR brush mower? It's 16.5hp, has a pressure system to accomodate side slope (we got those, also).

do it with the tractor when it's dry or have someone come in with something tracked

0 Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

wise consideration, especially if ruts are in a location visible for others to see
    I'm sure Randy knows the local NH laws regarding environmental regulations the best, I'd make sure you know them prior to cutting, trimming, or mowing near wetlands/streams.
    I know in my area, a lot of laws have changed in the past 10 years, and you pretty much can't even blow a fart within a certain distance of wetlands....never mind cut, trim or mow near them

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike