Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trailer: Repacking Wheel Bearings

Trailer: Repacking Wheel Bearings

I currently own two trailers and youtube says I can handle repacking the bearings like a big kid now. Before I repack the bearings on a newly purchased Kendon (2007) I have a couple of questions:

1. What grease do you recommend? I'm an Amsoil customer if that helps.

2. Does it matter if I get the grease in a cartridge or a tub?

3. How often should I repack the bearings?

Thanks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Trailer: Repacking Wheel Bearings

Use wheel bearing grease. No, really, it's a thing.

I've only ever used it from a tub. The method (at least for tapered bearings) is to put some of the grease in the "meat" of your hand, near your thumb and press the bearing into the grease and your hand. Keep doing this, rotating the bearing, until the grease comes out the top of the bearing.

If you keep the bearing greased, you should only have to repack them when you replace them, or if you think they have been without grease for an extended amount of time.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Once every year or two I like to pull the bearings out and clean, inspect and repack them. I'll also replace the seals if they look bad. When I repack bearings I have a grease needle that attaches to my grease gun. The needle will fit between the race and bearing cage and then I go around the bearing between the rollers and pump the grease in until it squeezes out of the cage. It takes a little longer then putting grease in your palm and packing them that way but is a lot less messy and is really through. If you want to go really overboard on grease use CV joint grease, otherwise wheel bearing grease works just fine.

I've always used marine grease from a tub. Pack them as outlined in jasnmar's post.

One particular thing I keep an eye on is the condition of the seals. If any grease is migrating to the outside of the hub you're either over filled on grease or the seal has failed.

Outside of that, I've only ever added grease to the hub as a preventative measure and two or three times a year I check for wheel play. There should be a tiny bit of play in the bearing.