Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trailer talk

Trailer talk

Ok so I'm in the prosses of getting a new trailer. There's just one problem. I don't know shit about trailers.
    It's gona be used for hauling bikes to and from the track (I live 3 hrs away) and I will be living in it while at the track. I'm looking for something in the 7x14ish range.
    Having said that idk what's good what's bad what I should look for.
    So what's good and what's bad.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 triumph street triple R
    "A Journey must begin with one step"

Re: Trailer talk

Search function is your friend.

Ya I tried using it didint really get what I was looking for

Wow... That's surprising. I was breaking your balls because the topic has been beaten to death almost as bad as "what oil does everyone recommend?"

In his defense, VBulliten isn't know for being easy to search (if you use the internal search).

xxaarraa

Those threads should have all the info you need. Before you get started down this path, there are some common decision points when picking a trailer - just my experience:

1. Ramp versus barn door. Always go with ramp.

2. Aluminum versus steel. Go aluminum if you can afford the higher cost of entry. But Steel would work fine too.

3. One bike versus two bikes. A lot of guys run out and buy a trailer and spend a lot of money setting it up for the present. Then next year happens, and bikes are added or riding habits change and you have to start all over. So, all things equal, I'd advice a 7x12 (7x14 if you can find one, the extra width goes a LONG way) at a minimum. Even if you add bikes and gear and tools in future, that size should serve you well for a few years. This is assuming you have a decent rig to tow it with.

4. Bikes only, or bikes + sleeping. Wanting to sleep in your trailer means you have to plan ahead for convenience and amenities. Budget for those. Also, wanting to sleep in it with the bikes already in it adds a whole another layer of planning and schematics. Pulling up at any track at any time long after gates are closed, and knowing you can still just go to bed without unloading anything is a huge peace of mind and simplifies the chore of getting to the track a lot. Having that capability also means you can pull over at rest areas and take naps.

Just like anything else in this hobby, if you are lucky enough to find a trailer that's already setup well, you'll save yourself a ton of money and effort. But either way, you will figure out everything else. Good luck!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 10-31-17 at 10:43 AM.

All of these are good for after I get the trailer. But what I don't know is what's a good trailer. whats a good brand. What are good materials that the trailer is built out of. What are good axles. Things like that.

Last edited by Johnpewpew; 10-31-17 at 11:01 AM.

I'd argue that the opposite is true.

You'll want to think through all of the stuff you want to include in the build, then purchase a trailer that makes all of that possible as well as meets your ability to afford it as well as to tow it reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I'd argue that the opposite is true.

You'll want to think through all of the stuff you want to include in the build, then purchase a trailer that makes all of that possible as well as meets your ability to afford it as well as to tow it reasonably.
    Well i plan to buy a trailer then build to suit my needs.

What's your tow vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    What's your tow vehicle?
    Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpewpew View Post
    Ram 1500
    Then buy as much trailer as you can afford/store, because you have the ability to tow almost anything. I originally started my quest by looking for a 6x12 and ended up finding an incredible deal on a 7x16 v-nose. And I'm SO glad that I bought the big trailer. Its so much nicer to "camp" at the track with the extra space, and it's been used to transport as many as 7 bikes, plus gear.

Things to look for:
    Torsion axels, over traditional leaf springs

Aluminum is nice, but not necessary. I understand the advantages, but could't justify the increased price.

6'6" interior height (interior height is measured to the roof, not the bottom of the studs. a 6' interior is really 5'10")

Ramp door if you plan to roll heavy tool boxes out of it. If not, barn doors take up less space and allow you to hang theings on them)

16' on center wall construction. (24' on center indicates a cheaply built trailer.)

V-nose... then you can build counter/shelving/cabinetry into the V and not cost yourself any space in "the box"

Insulate it. Before you do anything else with the trailer, remove the plywood from the walls, insulate the walls and ceiling, re-install the plywood.

E-track is your friend. Figure out how you want to set up the trailer and install e-Track in the appropriate places.

Roof vents, and possibly side vents. You want them. And you probably don't want to cut holes in your trailer to install them, after discovering that you wanted them

LED exterior lighting vs incandescent exterior lighting. LEDs last fo-evah. Regular bulbs don't. Most of them last 2.33 years. Ask me how I know.

Insulate it. Seriously, look up 4 lines, read it again, then insulate the shit out of that thing.

Fold down leveling feet at the rear. Makes it very stable once parked and disconnected. You don't want to sleep in something that rocks, on its tires, every time you roll over in bed.

White interior if you can find it. If not, paint the inside white... right after you're done insulating it.

Trailer tongue that's long enough to open your truck tail gate without hitting the trailer jack, and big enough to store you spare tire (figured out both after buying mine)

Bearing Buddies so you can easily grease the axle hubs

Side door. Seriously, DO NOT buy a trailer that doesn't have a side door. You think you can live with out it... You think its ok to skip in an effort to save a few bucks... Anyone that says their trailer is just fine without a side door is lying and just trying to cover up how stupid they were. You'll absolutely hate it within months.

Insulate that fucking thing.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpewpew View Post
    Well i plan to buy a trailer then build to suit my needs.
    What the man is saying is have a look at those trailer builds and see which aspects of it jive with what you want in your trailer. *Then* decide what size you want. Doesnít make much sense to buy a 5x10 single axle only to find out later you canít fit your king sized water bed in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I agree with most above.. except..

..I easily found the premium for an all aluminum worth it. Shop around. In my case I found a 6x12 v-nose for only a few hundred more than a mid quality steelie. That was well worth the delta for me.

..I went smaller than these cats are suggesting and am okay with that choice. 6x12 fits two bikes and tools easily. I cannot sleep in the trailer with the bikes in place, but I'm okay with that. As has been said, evaluate for yourself. I appreciate the lower cost and ease of parking, etc.

..I skipped e-track and installed "aircraft" or "L-track" instead. Way easier to work with and more than stout enough for the weights we are usually talking about with motorcycles.

..One of the threads posted above is mine and has a pretty decent list of all the bits I used building my trailer out. Post up in that if you have specific q's.

My one regret is not putting in a bigger bed. I put in a "long" twin; like in a college dorm. That's proven smaller than I'd have liked now that I have a regular +1.

Cool thanks for the info so far.
    So I planed on getting a v-nose 7◊14/16. It's gona have a side door and a rear ramp door. I will look for one that has Torsion axles and a 16 on Center wall Construction.
    What about brand of axles. A lot of manufactures tote Xbrand of axles or Zbrand as the best.
    Is there a brand of trailer manufacture that I should stay away from?

Another point re: the side door. I agree it's mandatory. I also think it should be an "RV style" with a latch that works inside and out. Not a cross bar like the rear ramp/doors that can only be operated from the outside. In my opinion the convenience of the RV latch is a must have. If the security is an issue I'd add a bar across it from the inside and use it when stored.

Axles : Meh. Anything that has a zerk fitting is okay in my book. Torsion axles are pricey and so I don't see them as mandatory/worthwhile. But YMMV.

As said, I would stay away from anything made with those 'z channel' studs. Fuck that. This included most of the discount steel trailers, from what I saw.

Interior ply is a nice thing too. Mine has some of that water resistant, super durable composite wood flooring with 1/8" ply walls over boxed and welded aluminum frame. It's nice.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Do i look to let my 14x6'6 v-nose, Alu, barn door go now....

http://www.cargoprotrailers.com/Prod...9&ProductID=90

+ extras!

Last edited by nt650hawk; 11-01-17 at 07:28 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Do i look to let my 14x6'6 v-nose, Alu, barn door go now....

+ extras!
    ^^^ This trailer is LEGIT! Right up to the aluminum viewing deck on the roof. You can see the whole track from the top of that thing.

[QUOTE=nt650hawk;1510717]Do i look to let my 14x6'6 v-nose, Alu, barn door go now....

I wish I was ready to buy.