Travel Trailer Advice

Travel Trailer Advice

Hi - looking for any input on a trailer / dealer. Situation is complicated but basically need a temporary place for my father-in-law to live until an addition is complete. It has to be relatively compact (20'-ish) and his needs are very modest. I know nothing about these but I would need a new one (don't want to dick around with a used one) so sight prep and delivery would be ideal. This is in the Newton MA area. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!

Re: Travel Trailer Advice

I saw some toy hauler trailers at the West Springfield camper show where the base models had show specials from 10,000 to 15,000. If itís just your dad staying there for a while, it might work fine and be both usable after the tenancy and also have good resale value, relative to the cost. Anyway, I can try to find the flyer I took with me for the name of the dealer if you want. It was somewhere in CT, over an hour drive from Southwick, and they have tons of toy haulers. IIRC the cheapest one was 19í

I suggest you consider this type even though Iím aware that carrying bikes isnít listed in your immediate needs; Iím looking at them for uses in addition to bikes, myself...like bluegrass festivals, where you can still jam with a bunch of friends comfortably inside while itís pouring out, using the screens they include to leave the bay door open. Even just for living inside, thereís space in the bay to furnish however you please, in addition to the bed, heat, kitchen, bath, etc up front.

Regular campers feel crowded inside to me and get pricy in a hurry.
    Most of the types of campers donít seem to age very well.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 03-10-18 at 02:18 PM.

you could rent one. Try RV share.com if its just going to be parked for awhile you will need to dump the waist tanks somehow. (Friends in the past have built connections to there leach field tank). not sure its legal but work for them. Power is another consideration you will need a 30 0r 50amp power source... if you want to run the heat and fridge or AC if he's in there that long? plus a fresh water supply

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 03-10-18 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks for all the input. I assume we'd have the black water pumped as needed. We'll have access to fresh water but a 50 amp service could be a challenge - it's going next to a really old house - we may need a generator. I looked at renting but it is very expensive. We'd rather buy it, then just resell it after a few months (though I will check out share.com) especially since we're not sure how long we will need it. This is the type of thing I am looking at.

#80 - 2017 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 19DS for sale in Boylston MA

FWIW - my father-in-law is very frail and doesn't need much space and has been in a physical rehab due for discharge in a couple weeks. Basically he's putting an addition on his own house because he can no longer do the stairs, and his wife won't allow one of those chair lifts (very long story). The trailer is temporary until the addition is done.

0 Not allowed!

Most if not all smaller campers are only going to have 30 amp service, 50 amp is for big units with 2 AC's. And the camper can plug into a regular 20 amp outlet as long as you don't want to run the AC.

Lots of camper manufacturers make the size camper you're looking for. It comes down to what you want to spend and if you want to use it after your dad. Look at something like a Rockwood Mini Lite, they're a decent smaller trailer. But there are so many to choose from.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by GearHd6; 03-11-18 at 09:46 AM.
    Jeff

thanks - we're going to sell it as soon as he's done with it. we'd like to spend $15K - $17.5K.

0 Not allowed!

If he's very frail I'd find a floor plan that allows for only 2 steps up into the unit, lots are 3 steps. Also look at bathroom room size, some of those smaller units you need to be a contortionist to use.

0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

I see that - I am looking only for models that have a shower - tubs might be an issue though in the size and price range a tub may be the only option.

0 Not allowed!

Look into Granny Pods. They're typically all ADA compliant and there are places which rent them month to month.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Ha! Never heard of them. Did a quick Google search and I think they'd take more time on my part than I have to spare right now (but I'll keep looking). Berkley Camping World in Berkley MA seems to have a couple very viable trailer alternatives in the 20' and $15K range. Anyone ever dealt with them?

0 Not allowed!

Buy condo, sell house?

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.