Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any tree guys on here?

rides bikes

Any tree guys on here?

Had a 70' tree snap in half during the storm and narrowly miss my house/new fence/cars/neighbor's house/power lines. All things considered, we were pretty lucky.

Anyway, I spent a few hours with the chain saw and got it mostly under control, so it's not an emergency anymore. I'm now in the process of calling tree companies to quote the removal of what's on the ground, as well as what's left of the tree.

Anyone on here do this kind of work and want to quote it, or give me an idea of what you'd expect it to cost? Sounds like most of the reputable tree companies want to use a crane to lift the tree out over the power lines.

Couple of before and after pictures:
    Attachment 48771Attachment 48770Attachment 48772

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Any tree guys on here?

The most important first question is, where are you located?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

rides bikes

Oh yeah, I meant to add that - Salem, MA

Also, as is probably obvious from the photo, it's pine, so not exactly valuable wood.

i would imagine you're going to have to wait a while given the current situation and hound the hell out of tree companies to get a quote as well as to get them to come do the work...

if getting it done soon is an issue i'd look at getting a hold of a pole saw or rope saw and trim the branches on each side of the power lines (use a throw line to pull them in a safe direction if needed), drop all the remaining branches, bring the branches to recycle center or burn them, tie off the trunk as high as you can with a couple lines, get a block & tackle and few buddies to pull on one line, comealong on the other line to an anchor point in the right direction, cut the notch deep and start tightening the come along, after it's leaning the right way back cut it a little at a time while your buddies can pull the block & tackle line so it falls slow, buck up the trunk, rent a splitter or hand split it and burn that too or give it away for campfire wood...

if you don't have time for any of this then disregard and call as many tree guys as you can

Last edited by Point37; 03-07-18 at 04:29 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Had one come down in the backyard onto my inground pool. Trying to find someone who wants to fish a pine tree off a pool is not fun.

2007 Kawasaki zx6r

I had 2 large white pines blow down, roots and all, across my driveway taking the power lines and 1 one pole with it. I cut the base so I could get out of my driveway, national grid sent a tree crew the following day to take the piece off the wires. They cleaned the bulk of the mess, even though everything was on my property. This thing was over 24" at the base. Point being, if it's near wires, they may take care of it.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I had 2 large white pines blow down, roots and all, across my driveway taking the power lines and 1 one pole with it. I cut the base so I could get out of my driveway, national grid sent a tree crew the following day to take the piece off the wires. They cleaned the bulk of the mess, even though everything was on my property. This thing was over 24" at the base. Point being, if it's near wires, they may take care of it.

Yeah I tried that first. No such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Yeah I tried that first. No such luck.
    probably because its just service lines and not the main line in the street...and if it didn't cause an outage why would they care especially when there are lines that still need to be repaired...plus that tree could stay like that for years before it caused any harm to the service lines

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Me

I am fairly busy right now and wont have time to come look at it. I can shoot you an hourly rate, and maybe ball park you a quote if you can provide some better pictures.

.... And for those who have downed trees that need to get cleaned up. Please don't cut the limbs into a million pieces, it'll make clean up three times as long. If you must limb things, please stack them all laying in the same direction..... Thanks sincerely, my sanity and your bank account.