Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread

Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread

I'm interested in purchasing a car that is titled/registered in Maine and bringing it back to Mass. I've purchased used vehicles in private party, out of state sales before so I know the drill (mostly). The vehicle originated in Canada and was brought into the states out west before finding its way to Maine and is a bit of a unicorn - the combo of options is very uncommon

Anyway, when I spoke to my insurance company they told me the VIN came up as invalid. So I tried some online VIN decoders and got similar results. But the thing is, the seller has a legitimate Maine title and current registration with this VIN, I've seen them in person.

I'm reluctant to pull the trigger, because I'm not sure will the Mass RMV register the car. Will I be stuck with a vehicle I can't put on the road?

Am I overthinking this? Maybe my insurance has a crappy database and if I bring the RMV the required paperwork - title, bill of sale and tax money - they have to give me a registration, yes? Or no?

Any advice/info appreciated

0 Not allowed!

Re: Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread

My vehicle was originally Canadian. I have a MA title. It has the same vin but it has a new door sticker that is translated (psi/lbs for the tires/weights). My original mirror had the "objects in this mirror are closer....." warning in French so they put a sticker over that and my speedometer has a MPH overlay over the KM one. The odometer changes in the vehicles settings when you change it from French to English. My owners manual and every document in the truck is only in French.

The importer documented the changes and got it legal.

If you have a Maine title you should be fine

Are you buying a F-150 crew cab long bed?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by cdseven95; 09-29-19 at 11:27 PM.

Is it a Japanese domestic market car? I know that they have had unusually short VINs which can be an impediment to registration.

Honestly, I would call the RMV on the phone and ask. You can expect to sit on hold for an hour before they pick up, but every time I've had to call them they've been very helpful.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Thanks guys, not a JDM car or a Canadian F150 crew cab long bed. Will see if I can get through to the RMV

0 Not allowed!

I know when I had a 916 registered the VIN needed to be in their system. Mine wasn’t because someone wrote and 8 instead of B at some point and the title was off. Ended up just getting a cop to sign off on it.

0 Not allowed!

I remembered that AAA can perform some RMV transactions at their offices so they have access to the RMV database. I dropped by the local branch during lunch

The AAA rep was helpful and set up a dummy registration transaction - my plates being transfered to the Maine vehicle. Didn't work, she said the system would not let her get past the screen with the VIN

Is the only alternative is to have a LEO sign that the "invalid" VIN is actually correct? Seems like a pain in the butt, especially if I'm not supposed to be driving it around. Do I call the local PD and ask them to come by to check it out?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    I remembered that AAA can perform some RMV transactions at their offices so they have access to the RMV database. I dropped by the local branch during lunch

The AAA rep was helpful and set up a dummy registration transaction - my plates being transfered to the Maine vehicle. Didn't work, she said the system would not let her get past the screen with the VIN

Is the only alternative is to have a LEO sign that the "invalid" VIN is actually correct? Seems like a pain in the butt, especially if I'm not supposed to be driving it around. Do I call the local PD and ask them to come by to check it out?
    Is it invalid because the VIN on the title doesn't match the VIN on the vehicle, or for some other reason?

When I sold my VFR to ScottieDucati, we ran into problems because someone had transcribed a B to an 8 (or maybe vice-versa) on the title. I had to go Waltham PD, who started the process but then refused because they thought it was fradulent (!). They sent me to the Mass State Police barracks down near Weston, and it took 30 seconds. It was a minor pain in the ass, but it wasn't that bad.

0 Not allowed!

There is a mechanism to register trailers without a 17 digit VIN. They inspect it and assign one at a state inspection facility.

Not sure if that applies to vehicles. My 1975 BMW does not have a 17 digit VIN.

0 Not allowed!

Closing the loop on this, I bought the vehicle and when I first tried to register it the RMV could not because the VIN did not show up in their database. They gave me a VIN certification form that could be filled out by any Mass LEO - basically they confirm the VIN on the title and vehicle match. With that form, the old title and bill of sale I was able to get it registered.

Side note, supposedly you can go to any local police station to get the VIN cert form filled out but I would use caution - I'm supposed to drive an *unregistered* vehicle to the police station, get a cop to look at it and then drive away. That might not end well. I had a buddy who happens to be a cop fill out the form.....

Side, side note - f-ing german cars and electrical annoyances :-)

1 Not allowed!

I just had to get plates for my HEMTT and the VIN wasn’t showing up in their system.

Get the police sign off form and call a buddy or your local department and they’ll send someone over to sign it.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

Is there a special top secret reason the motor V-hicle involved in this mystery shall not be named

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiGuy View Post
    I just had to get plates for my HEMTT
    Daily driver?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Daily driver?
    I can afford to drive it 2 miles a month

1 Not allowed!

Lifer

Yes, do tell. What did you get? I do like that the Canadians seem to have more manual transmission optioned cars.

0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Should have mentioned that - 95 VW Eurovan, diesel, 5-speed, syncro.

Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread-eurovan-1-jpg
    Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread-eurovan-3-jpg

Electrical annoyances so far - Temp/Fuel gauge is intermittent, ignition/clutch pedal interlock is broken (or doesn't exist), would like to convert DRLs to old style headlights.

Found a possible fix for the first one, not sure about #2 or #3

2 Not allowed!

I want to know, but I also don't want to know.. 'owmuchwazzit?

0 Not allowed!

Should just be taking it to a MSP site and having a trooper give a look and sign off on the VIN. I had to do the same this year when my boat's hull number wasn't in NH's system

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Should just be taking it to a MSP site and having a trooper give a look and sign off on the VIN. I had to do the same this year when my boat's hull number wasn't in NH's system
    I'd try your local PD before bothering to find the nearest MSP barracks.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Wow! was it an import or did they sell a diesel, manual, syncro in Canada?

0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I'm assuming they sold that combo in Canada. Otherwise it originated in......Europe?.......maybe South America? Or someone went to huge trouble to swap in a syncro drivetrain which includes (I think) everything from the transmission back?

0 Not allowed!

A lot of interesting 25 year old cars are coming in.

What’s the diesel? Turbo?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    A lot of interesting 25 year old cars are coming in.

What’s the diesel? Turbo?
    Canada has a 15 year rule so it would have been eligible for import there in 2010. afaik it was brought into the US in late 2010, hmmmm.......

Its a 2.4 liter, 5 cylinder, non-turbo. VW people call it the AAB motor. It makes very little power which is fine by me

0 Not allowed!

#VanLife. #UseAllThePower.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    Should have mentioned that - 95 VW Eurovan, diesel, 5-speed, syncro.
    wow ♥

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Looked into this a bit more and the folks at VWVortex think that, based on the small front bumper with euro-plate indent, Multivan badging, etc., it is a european vehicle that was imported to Canada and then to the US

So a euro Eurovan as it were. Thank you....I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your server.....

Anyway, the Bentley service manual has arrived (3 volumes!) - the timing belt and injection pump belt replacement are a bit beyond my DIY skills, can anyone recommend a VW shop in the Boston area? One that knows diesels

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast