Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread

Lifer

Re: Another "Will I Have Trouble at the Mass RMV" thread

Brian's garage in Needham. I have taken my VW's there. I am not sure about how experienced they are with diesels. I have taken VW's to them for the past 12 years. Little shop with great expertise

0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

I can check with my dad if he's looking for any side work. Would just be a cash job from his house - he's been a VW tech his whole life but doesn't have his own shop or anything. No guarantee he is interested but he does a fair amount of side work, happy to ask.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Brian's garage in Needham. I have taken my VW's there. I am not sure about how experienced they are with diesels. I have taken VW's to them for the past 12 years. Little shop with great expertise
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I can check with my dad if he's looking for any side work. Would just be a cash job from his house - he's been a VW tech his whole life but doesn't have his own shop or anything. No guarantee he is interested but he does a fair amount of side work, happy to ask.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'll call Brian's Garage tomorrow - if that doesn't work out I'll ask Jay to ping his dad.....

0 Not allowed!

There is a diesel service in Billerica.

0 Not allowed!

Thought some folks would appreciate this -

Reading through the service manuals to get an understanding of the vehicle - did I mention I'm a diesel newb? - and this tidbit stuck out

Torque spec for the crank pulley bolt is 460Nm or 340ftlb. Jayzus!

0 Not allowed!

Sprinter harmonic balancer is torqued to 240 lb ft - then an additional 90. It’s done that way to minimize differences in friction.

0 Not allowed!

Updates -

Can't believe this thread is from back in October, took me awhile to find a shop! Not many familiar with these pre-TDI VW diesels and, unfortunately, the online parts websites don't believe this vehicle exists - enter the VIN and it doesn't pull anything up. Makes it difficult to find the correct parts

Ultimately I ended up at Euro Car Center in Wilmington and had a really good experience. They were able to replace the timing belt, water pump, crank seal, reset the timing and a few other things. Runs much better now - starts easily, very little blue smoke, has more pep. Overall the motor is much happier. I am driving it around regularly and planning on some road trips this summer

Highly recommend Euro Car Center - very knowledgeable, easy to work with and reasonably priced. Ask for Don

1 Not allowed!

Great to know, I've had trouble finding a shop to work on the Sprinter. It runs fine right now but I want to go through it with a fine tooth comb before some of the trips we're planning.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12