Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

For all you truck shopping...

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: For all you truck shopping...

If our enviro-Nazis make me give up mine... The Colorado diesel is on the short list. As is JGC Trailhawk diesel.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    My BMW X5 "sales wagon" gets 32mpg on the highway at 80mph and it is All Wheel Drive. I'm not kidding on this. If I slow down I get better mileage. The 8 speed transmission is sublime. Plus it pulls a trailer/Glamper toy hauler great and gets 15mpg all the way to Indy with a heavy bike on board. I didn't baby it but passed a lot of cars and trucks on the way into a wind coming from the west.
    The S7 here at work gets 28mpg (calculated) on highway trips. I don't know if it is because the engine tiptoes along at 75mph or the car is that aerodynamic, but it is pretty amazing to have a twin turbo gas V8 get that type of fuel economy. Now get into some of the 450 horsies and that falls a bit, or a lot.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

"Motor Trend was able to snag an example long enough to run the diesel Titan XD through its Real MPG test. The result was 15.8 city, 20.8 highway, 17.7 combined miles per gallon."

Yup these things are becoming bigger and heavier. The Colorado may end up being my truck as well. Unless I plan to haul a 5th wheel camper....

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    You just were talking about dual wheels. The OP truck has none. They showed both full size and midsize trucks completing the maneuver just fine.

My Touareg, handles just fine. Thing is a beast. Regardless of what the EPA has to say about it. But nice try at deflection there boss.

Doesn't matter what size, suv or truck. There is a reason manufacturers pay attention to this guys videos. Jeep sent like three different models after the Grand Cherokee failed initially. It's a sign of handling and stability.

It's becoming clear why fewer people and fewer threads are happening on NESR. Everything devolves into insults here.
    Fair, back on topic - I bet you can't flip my tacoma on a flat road.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

So you'll let me try?? For all you truck shopping...For all you truck shopping...

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    They did give us a small useful diesel truck. The chevy Colorado.

And I cant give them away. //
    We have two Chevy Cruze 2.0L Turbodiesels at work. I don't think they ever sold more than 300 a month nationwide. Supposedly they are coming back in 2017 as a 1.6L

They get terrific mpg but the additional $3,000 in purchase price seems to have been too much for people to pay. Not sure we'll ever get payback.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-31-16 at 02:51 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    A 1/2 ton with the 5.3 makes more sense financially unless you pound miles.
    Even then. I'm "pounding" the miles and happier than a pig in shit.
    Last one was a 2.0 DI turbo gas wagon that drank 93 and ate its own intake manifolds. Returned 30-flat in my commute.
    New one is a 5.3L gas V8 4WD brick, er I mean pickup that takes anything that smells like it might burn and returns 20-24 depending on season on that same commute. I've seen 25+ on slab runs.

This means I'd need to be handed a diesel that returned mid 40's to get 2x the mileage. I just don't see that happening.

Once you account for the switch from 93 to 87 octane I'm almost paying the same $/mile. Almost. That's staggering.

I hear GM is going to throw an 8 speed at this thing eventually too. Bet that helps even more.

Oh, and the big black brick handles reasonably well too. Can rail those interslab ramps shockingly hard!

Diesel light duty pickups won't sell because they don't make sense, financially. The gas motors are just too gosh darn good nowadays. There isn't enough upside. "Twice" the mileage is delusional.

And don't get me started (again) about the over priced, undersized Colorado.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-31-16 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Even then. I'm "pounding" the miles and happier than a pig in shit.
    Last one was a 2.0 DI turbo gas wagon that drank 93 and ate its own intake manifolds. Returned 30-flat in my commute.
    New one is a 5.3L gas V8 4WD brick, er I mean pickup that takes anything that smells like it might burn and returns 20-24 depending on season on that same commute. I've seen 25+ on slab runs.

This means I'd need to be handed a diesel that returned mid 40's to get 2x the mileage. I just don't see that happening.

Once you account for the switch from 93 to 87 octane I'm almost paying the same $/mile. Almost. That's staggering.

I hear GM is going to throw an 8 speed at this thing eventually too. Bet that helps even more.

Oh, and the big black brick handles reasonably well too. Can rail those interslab ramps shockingly hard!

Diesel light duty pickups won't sell because they don't make sense, financially. The gas motors are just too gosh darn good nowadays. There isn't enough upside. "Twice" the mileage is delusional.

And don't get me started (again) about the over priced, undersized Colorado.
    The 8 speed is available with 5.3 now if you get the upper trim level trucks.

Serious question. If you could get the Colorado/Canyon with the diesel for 35k would you?

I have two bitches about that truck. The size and the fact the diesel is only available to the public in the crew cab, short bed and loaded to the nines with equipment.

If I had your commute it would be a tough choice between the two if they were priced similar, which easily could be done if GM chose. 30 mpg on the highway and a motor that apparently really wakes up with a tune would be the best of both worlds for me, assuming I'd settle for the smaller truck.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Hmmm. Smaller, less capable, less comfortable, untested engine that it turns out has some teething issues, that burns fuel that is often more expensive than gas. For about what I have costs. All for a couple extra mpgees?! Yeah, tough to get excited about that.

That truck needs to retail in the 20's OR get 40 miles/gal.

I think a lot of people spend too much time worrying about MPGees. At the end of the day even @ 20MPG combined fuel is a blip on the radar of my expenses. Taxes, house, even food are further up the chain. Never mind this crack motorcycle habit.

Interesting. I hadn't heard about teething issues. Ihaven't been looking either though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Fuel issues. Guy sitting in the waiting room next to me at my last dealer visit. Kid sounded like he knew what he was talking about, had been using a diesel additive that was supposed to help keep the HPFP happy, but was still having problems. Intermittent MIL. Sounded exactly like some of the crap many of the TDI owners I knew were going through back in 09-10. He had an OBD monitor plugged in and the dealership spazzed asking him if the truck had been flashed.

Ram built the eco-diesel, but if I recall they have not that that popular with consumers.
    Really? For a while, Ram couldn't build them fast enough to meet the demand for Ecodiesels!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

If I had your commute it would be a tough choice between the two if they were priced similar, which easily could be done if GM chose. 30 mpg on the highway and a motor that apparently really wakes up with a tune would be the best of both worlds for me, assuming I'd settle for the smaller truck.
    We have two Chevy Cruze TD's and a Cruze Eco, identically equipped but with a 1.4l gas turbo. The TD's get enough better mpg to cover the higher cost of diesel but not much more. They cost $3,000 more. That's for a 2.0l.

Our previous analysis was that diesels only pay if you drive over 40,000 miles a year (or need higher towing capacity), and we do. But it's hard to believe that a 5yo TD with 200k will sell for $3,000 more than the gas model. We'll let you know in 2019.

BTW in a drag race to 50 or 60 it's almost a dead heat. The diesel is best on the highway, at 1900 rpm getting 45-54 mpg.

Last edited by Garandman; 11-01-16 at 05:30 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

2x mileage was incorrect and an exaggeration. Should be about 33%. Where I was getting 19-20mpg on premium grade gas in the same vehicle with diesel I get 29-30mpg avg mixed driving. When I pulled the trailer with the gasser to Sturgis there were places you couldn't find premium gas. It was either weasel piss or diesel. I went from getting 9mpg to about 6 on that crap. I bet the motor was detonating like crazy as it tried to cope with that crap gas.

I want a truck that can pull a trailer and get good mileage and be easier to park in Boston. The other idea is to purchase a GMC 2500 HD stump puller for towing and chores and keep a fuel efficient car for work. Freaking expensive toys!

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We have two Chevy Cruze TD's and a Cruze Eco, identically equipped but with a 1.4l gas turbo. The TD's get enough better mpg to cover the higher cost of diesel but not much more. They cost $3,000 more. That's for a 2.0l.

Our previous analysis was that diesels only pay if you drive over 40,000 miles a year (or need higher towing capacity), and we do. But it's hard to believe that a 5yo TD with 200k will sell for $3,000 more than the gas model. We'll let you know in 2019.

BTW in a drag race to 50 or 60 it's almost a dead heat. The diesel is best on the highway, at 1900 rpm getting 45-54 mpg.
    The cars are obviously an unknown and a completely different animal, but the trucks definitely maintain their price difference as they age.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The small turbo diesel in my van is quite simply brilliant. I get 23-25mpg normal use, and 20 towing in the mountains.

But it's not just the MPGs. The motor is so unstressed when pulling hills, towing, passing, merging and maintaining speed with cruise control that it has an overall stress reducing effect on the driver. This is an intangible benefit of a diesel in a utility vehicle that is used for distance. I'm less tired when I arrive.

A colorado diesel is definitely a truck I would consider and pay a slight premium for.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

This is kind of a big deal. I've towed my rig (28' toy hauler, 5 bikes + gear) to VIR, Road Atlanta, etc. I've towed the exact same setup with 2500 trucks. For MY trailer, the Touareg blows either out of the water. Better MPG (10-12 vs 8-10) better stability (aided by not having rock hard suspension) and the added benefit that when I'm not towing, I'm not driving a truck.

There are very few, if any options that could compete.

CCS/LRRS #83

Granted you put the MY trailer in there.

In towing cars for work, the 2500 Gas was a fucking terrible pig. Worse mileage than the 1/2 ton, not that much more power, although I did feel at bit better if I had to clamp down on the brakes for some idiot in front of me.

The 2500 diesel on the other hand, was a fucking champ.
    But with only towing about 7-8000 lbs there is no need for the bigger truck but dam nit I want it.

For all you truck shopping...

These were both 2500 diesels. One Ford, one Dodge. My VW beat them both trailering by 2 mpg, and the ride was so much smoother and more stable the entire trip because the truck wasn't bouncing everywhere on rock hard suspension. With my VW, the damping between the towing vehicle and trailer are well matched. With a large truck and empty bed, they are not. The result is a bouncy tow rig moving over bumps at a different rate compared to the trailer. The whole unit felt less planted.

Granted my VW couldn't tow 2x the weight of my rig, but I bought it and sized the trailer to be around 80% of max towing capacity when I'm fully loaded.

CCS/LRRS #83

I have that trans in my truck, it is constantly fucking shifting. Annoying as hell.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

I'll give you the nod that they handle well. But would it kill the Ze Germans to build something that doesn't fall to complete shit after the warranty is up?
    Literally they all Have problems. BMW, Audi, Merc, VW, Mini...
    Mini coopers are completely useless in the rain. hows that for ingenuity?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    The other idea is to purchase a GMC 2500 HD stump puller for towing and chores and keep a fuel efficient car for work. Freaking expensive toys!
    That's exactly what I did. I use my 1.8 liter, 5-speed Toyota Matrix for driving when I'm alone and can't take my bike, my wife's RAV4 V6 for "normal" driving, and my 2500 GMC diesel for "truck stuff". All are used, all are paid for, and I have less invested in the three of them than the GMC 2500 Duramax cost new in 2007. The 2007 GMC came from Denver and has 200k and no rust. The 2010 RAV4 came from South Carolina and has 128k and no rust. I bought the 2005 Matrix used in 2006, locally, and it has 190k and some rust, but not bad. Both Toyotas are pretty much problem-free and are pathetically easy to maintain. The GMC required several mechanical repairs that I expected and planned for when I bought it with 181k, and now operates like new.

Special 2500 and/or Duramax repairs to expect around 175k to 200k:

Transmission cooler lines $200
    Water pump $200
    Serpentine belt and pulleys: $110
    Cooling stack cleaning: 4 hours labor (but makes the transmission cooler lines, belt, pulleys, and water pump much easier)
    Pump rub kit: $100
    Pitman arm and idler arm: $100

I also replaced the shocks, and all 4 brakes.

I LOVE the Duramax. I was always someone that knew diesels were nice, but felt they were over-rated until I tried towing my boat with one. I was an idiot, that truck is awesome with a load behind it and it has dramatically extended the range I'm willing to tow my boat. There's no fuss, it just pulls with seemingly no effort.

Serious question. If you could get the Colorado/Canyon with the diesel for 35k would you?

I have two bitches about that truck. The size and the fact the diesel is only available to the public in the crew cab, short bed and loaded to the nines with equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I have that trans in my truck, it is constantly fucking shifting. Annoying as hell.
    I have the same trans in my new one as well. Hated it at first. But now that I have the hang of it, I'm digging it. Was it necessary? At this point, I'm saying not so much. I'm getting pretty much the same mileage with this one as I did my last with the "normal" trans. I DO like that GM got rid of the annoying clunk in their trans when manually shifting though...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Isn't yours a 2500/6.0l? Guy at work just got a loaded out 2500 Denali with the 6.0l. His mileage so far BLOWS compared to mine. Which is shocking because I know JC did okay with his 6.0L 1500. Must be the damned sunroof in the Denali. Trucks with sunroofs!! What's the world coming to?!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Isn't yours a 2500/6.0l? Guy at work just got a loaded out 2500 Denali with the 6.0l. His mileage so far BLOWS compared to mine. Which is shocking because I know JC did okay with his 6.0L 1500. Must be the damned sunroof in the Denali. Trucks with sunroofs!! What's the world coming to?!
    That roof is awesome. Up to 55mph or so with it open is a non-issue for noise/turbulence. I have the 6.2 with about 12k on it, it's several mpgs better than the f150 eco I had last. But is anyone really buying any of these trucks for mpg? (For personal use)

That Denali roof probably sucks compared to more aero vehicles, but if you ever experienced a 90s truck with a roof...

Last edited by gixxer72; 11-03-16 at 06:38 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast