Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

undercoating. rust proofing worth it?

Re: undercoating. rust proofing worth it?

Whats an average cost for a truck or small SUV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I paid $150 to have my f250 done with Fluid Film last year. They did inside the doors, frame, everywhere. It smells funky for a few weeks but it works.
    I just ordered Fluid Film kit #2 on Amazon so I don't have to take everything I own to someone else.
    Fluid Film Rust Protection

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I paid $150 to have my f250 done with Fluid Film last year. They did inside the doors, frame, everywhere. It smells funky for a few weeks but it works.
    I just ordered Fluid Film kit #2 on Amazon so I don't have to take everything I own to someone else.
    Fluid Film Rust Protection
    I did my truck and car with Fluid Film last year. Fingers are crossed that it will help keep them from rusting a long time. I'm not convinced it needs to be applied every year. It's still quite clearly present on both vehicles.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I did my truck and car with Fluid Film last year. Fingers are crossed that it will help keep them from rusting a long time. I'm not convinced it needs to be applied every year. It's still quite clearly present on both vehicles.
    paid some one else or yourself? how did you get into the crack/s crevices of the frame if at all?

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    paid some one else or yourself? how did you get into the crack/s crevices of the frame if at all?
    There are flexible wands and 360 degree tips that can be run inside the frame at strategic points. You can drill holes and then plug them if you want but I gather that's a bit excessive in most cases.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Did it myself. Used a pressure sprayer for the majority and rattle cans with red tubes for the tight spots.

Used Ziebart/Tacoma for $400ish back in 2007(?)

it had some surface rust, which they just power washed & put what looked like spray paint...less than 2-3 months later the surface rust peeled through

when I googled jeep forums, they recommended POR-15

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

The truck I bought recently is a 2004 with only 50k on it. It had just been undercoated by the dealership which they do to all used cars. It looked good for about 6 months then it all came off. I pretty much knew it would, the surface was way to rough to believe what was underneath was in any type of good shape. If there is heavy rust, there is little you can do about it beyond sand blasting and then spraying. I use fluid film on my newer cars, especially in the wheel wells and the sheet metal areas. I try to get up under them and coat them down well. Seems to work ok. Customer of mine does galvanizing. They do car frames quite regularly for people renovating vehicles. So if you want that hassle, it's an option.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Used Ziebart/Tacoma for $400ish back in 2007(?)

it had some surface rust, which they just power washed & put what looked like spray paint...less than 2-3 months later the surface rust peeled through

when I googled jeep forums, they recommended POR-15

fwiw: i haven't been impressed with fluid film.

we've tested a lot of different stuff in just over 30 years.

some stuff worked ok some not so good.

when it comes down to it we know how to keep stuff from rusting to shit.

jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    The truck I bought recently is a 2004 with only 50k on it. It had just been undercoated by the dealership which they do to all used cars. It looked good for about 6 months then it all came off. I pretty much knew it would, the surface was way to rough to believe what was underneath was in any type of good shape. If there is heavy rust, there is little you can do about it beyond sand blasting and then spraying. I use fluid film on my newer cars, especially in the wheel wells and the sheet metal areas. I try to get up under them and coat them down well. Seems to work ok. Customer of mine does galvanizing. They do car frames quite regularly for people renovating vehicles. So if you want that hassle, it's an option.
    fwiw: We see this with vans too.

They get something in thats rusted out and spray stuff on to cover up the rust not fix or keep it from rusting more.

It usually makes things much worse in the long run.

We've had to replace major sections of floor/unibody on many of them (we have a body shop, machine shop & metal fab shop).

we have a long time customer that thought seeing how he watched what we did to take care of his van for 6-7 years they'd save a few bucks on the new van and do it themselves.

They sprayed undercoat over the rust for 6-7 years.

When it came time to trade the van in we couldn't take it due to all the rust under the undercoat (used car dealer in NH bought it).

You could peel off 1/4" or more of the layers of rust and shit they'd been spraying on.

His latest van is now 4-5 years old and still looks like new.

Last edited by sandman; 10-28-16 at 08:55 AM.
    jim

"Molon labe"

I feel that this is one of those things that w<script id="gpt-impl-0.5959664125600732" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_104.js"></script>ould be awesome to do when the car/truck is brand spanking new. Which living further up north I could justify spending the money.

But at this point with a couple year old car the rust damage has already began to take a hold on the underbody. And If I were going to spend the money I'd want everything taken off, cleaned and then put back together. But I'm sure that would cost a small fortune.

Fuckit, Come lease a new car from me every 3 years and not have to deal with this shit

Rust proofing, you get what you put into it.

There are tons of different rust converters and encapsulators out on the market right now.

Fluid film works, I use it on suspension parts and in a few different places. You need to be committed to reapplying it every year, as others have said you can pick up a bunch of different flex wands to reach all the hard to reach places in frame rails etc. One problem with fluid film is if you ever plan on painting whatever you have been applying it to it will be a pain in the ass. Its cheap too.

Waxoyl This stuff is the tits it last for years. Rovers North sells it, not exactly cheap but worth the$$ They have a hard wax for underbody then a different formula for the frame rails etc. As with fluid film there are wands etc for applying it in hard to reach spots.

Zinc Chromate I have a few cans of this stuff and will be liberally applying to inside my frame rails once I begin the cutting part of my syncro conversion. I'll be using it as a primer and possibly giving it a waxoyl top coat in the frame rails.

Por 15 It works but needs a top coat if exposed to UVs I have a few cans of this left over from when I originally got my van but probably wont be opening them.

Bedliner products Raptorliner Monstaliner etc make a great top coat on a rust encapsulator.

Ospho, will convert any rust and have the surface ready for paint with minimal work.

My plans for the winter during my syncro conversion are this

Hit the factory undercoating with a crud thug and remove what I can, it has served its purpose but is flaking off. Zinc Chromate in the frame rails. I'll apply a Ospho Lizard Skin SC and CI. Then toss a top coat of Monstaliner over that. Same goes for the interior. The seams will be getting resealed as well with 3M and Wurth Products.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I feel that this is one of those things that w<script id="gpt-impl-0.5959664125600732" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_104.js"></script>ould be awesome to do when the car/truck is brand spanking new. Which living further up north I could justify spending the money.

But at this point with a couple year old car the rust damage has already began to take a hold on the underbody. And If I were going to spend the money I'd want everything taken off, cleaned and then put back together. But I'm sure that would cost a small fortune.

Fuckit, Come lease a new car from me every 3 years and not have to deal with this shit
    fwiw" we've stopped the rust on a lot of vehicles (more than 100) that were a few years old.

jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    fwiw" we've stopped the rust on a lot of vehicles (more than 100) that were a few years old.
    How about 10 years old?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    How about 10 years old?
    Why stop at 10 ... my '00 Ford Excursion would like to know, how about 16 years old?

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

My van is 31 years old, you can stop and remove rust on anything if you have the time and money

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    My van is 31 years old, you can stop and remove rust on anything if you have the time and money

Fair enough. I guess I was more interested in how viable it is to spend the money on something like this on a 10 year old truck in order to prolong it's life, not really restore or keep for ever. The Rust Stop has "rustoration" process they describe on their website that looks interesting and I assume Sandman's shop does something similar. I'm curious if just throwing money away or is really a viable solution. This thread has been extremely helpful education wise.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Fair enough. I guess I was more interested in how viable it is to spend the money on something like this on a 10 year old truck in order to prolong it's life, not really restore or keep for ever. The Rust Stop has "rustoration" process they describe on their website that looks interesting and I assume Sandman's shop does something similar. I'm curious if just throwing money away or is really a viable solution. This thread has been extremely helpful education wise.
    By a 15 dollar shutz gun and go to town with used motor oil on the frame etc avoiding rubber hoses and the like.

How about 10 years old?
    we'd need to see it.

were almost done with a early 80's Porsche.

we has the whole car blasted first.

jim

"Molon labe"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12