Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unexplained activity in the house.

Re: Unexplained activity in the house.

subscribed ... the candle smell is freaky! is TAPS still taking on new gigs?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I have lived in a few homes that had things going on....

Watch this vid.... and at anytime I can show a video of no activity at all so shit does happen LOLOL

trim F78CDD73 09CC 4708 93D5 A8339D8E4B2A - YouTube
    Alright. That's freaky. I clicked on that video and the next thing I know, I'm watching LRRS videos and tilting my head from left to right. Thought I was possessed.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Alright. That's freaky. I clicked on that video and the next thing I know, I'm watching LRRS videos and tilting my head from left to right. Thought I was possessed.
    So it wasn't just me then?

Paul_E_D

HAHAHA...

No more rubbing one out at home, unless you're in to sharing.

Old house, sketchy electrical. These things happen.

Seriously though, get the fuck out of there as soon as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

if nothing at all i've learned is that you need to buy a oiuja board now..... use it, then burn it

hmmmm......

So I used to be the kind of person who didn’t believe in this stuff and would have made fun of you…Until I lived with my cousin a few years back.

He lived in an old Victorian that was built in the 1800’s. It was huge, about 3,200 square feet with three floors. Lots of weird shit was happening on a regular basis in the house. The most common was thumping noises. Not the muffled distant kind, but very clear and sometimes in the same room as you. They would occur in clusters lasting several minutes and at various times. In some cases you could almost follow them around the room. Sometimes at night it would get really bad and occur in different parts of the house simultaneously both near and far. I remember waking to it and really freaking out on a few different occasions. I pulled pillows over my head so I couldn’t hear it (which didn’t work). We also experienced smells…The most common was that it smelled like someone baking cookies, although sometimes it smelled like candles. It was very strong and not at all subtle. There were other things that happened but the specifics were never revealed as those who they happened to felt weird talking about it.

Being a single guy living in such a huge house, he always had tenants who were friends or family. Since he had the room, whenever anyone needed a place to live for a while they would stay with him. Most of the time it was a temporary arrangement lasting 6 months to a year. In my case it was to bridge the gap between living situations (I was in the process of trying to buy a condo). Anyway, the point is a lot of people stayed in the house over the course of the 10 years he lived there. Since it was all family or friends, stories accumulated about the sounds and smells everyone experienced there. Most of the activity seemed to revolve around one particular room and as we figured this out we realized others must have had experiences and not spoken of it. For example, his father and step mother used to stay with him every year while visiting from Florida and eventually his step mother refused to sleep in that room but never explained why. There were others who also refused to even go in that particular room but wouldn’t explain. Since it was the primary guest room, the assumption is that at one point they stayed there and something happened that freaked them out but they didn’t feel comfortable talking about it.

This is where it gets interesting…One day while getting his hair cut he’s making small talk with the hair dresser and ends up explaining where he lives. Turns out, the hair dresser grew up in the house. After revealing this, the conversation gets awkwardly silent which she broke by saying “soooo…Is it still haunted?” She then started sharing stories (without any lead in on his part). During her time there they heard the noises and noticed the smells as well (she even specified cookies and candles). Not only that, but they also noticed most of the activity seemed to happen near that same room. They too used it primarily as a guest room and over the years people began refusing to stay in it. Again, there was no lead in by my cousin. She had no idea we had experienced any of this. It was more of a “We thought it was haunted because…” type of thing and she just started rambling.

Over time we couldn’t even joke about how it because it really bothered my cousin. He never wanted to talk about it and couldn’t stand being there alone. Fortunately he always had tenants until the last year he lived there…He spent it living out of only three rooms on the first floor…The kitchen and two other rooms which were directly connected. He closed the rest of the house off and never went beyond the three rooms. Finally, after a full year without tenants he sold the house.

The thing that convinces me the most is not just my own experiences but the way others reacted. It was never treated as some juicy gossip. Everyone was disturbed by it and it was discussed on a very limited basis as the stories surfaced in a hesitant and private manner. For a while he had no choice but to keep the house (he bought high before the market crashed) but eventually things bounced back and he was able to get out without being upside down.

So no…Nothing horrific ever happened, just small creeping things that over time start to build in your mind and really wear on you.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    but did you latch it? what kind of latch?

was the screw torn out, missing or unscrewed?

I've had that happen, both in my house, and office, on double doors that are less than 10 years old, have you had any earthquakes ? that is my theory, I know the first time it happened at my house, it coincided with a local 2.1 quake, that otherwise wasn't felt

for that matter, a small quake could explain all your experiences right down to the candle smell releasing gasses
    It has the typical old storm door slide lock. We never use the front door to the main house, only time it was ever used was when I moved in last April.
    There have been no reports of any earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Get a dog.

Either the dog will clue you in to what's going on, or you can just blame it all on the dog.

Win-win.
    I have a dog, she is afraid of her own tail. Come to think of it, she never fully warmed up to the new house...

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    subscribed ... the candle smell is freaky! is TAPS still taking on new gigs?
    The candle smell over the weekend is what got me, as there is no logical or reasonable/believable explanation for it!

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Open a haunted bed and breakfast

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Get one of those ouiji boards and start a conversation -- that always works out well in the movies.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    . Lots of weird shit was happening on a regular basis in the house. The most common was thumping noises. Not the muffled distant kind, but very clear and sometimes in the same room as you. They would occur in clusters lasting several minutes and at various times. In some cases you could almost follow them around the room. Sometimes at night it would get really bad and occur in different parts of the house simultaneously both near and far.
    Winter most common time ?

snow load on roof making supporting timber creak, when snow melts, you hear the creaking of the timbers unloading, same can happen from wind loads, the loading may happen during the windy period and unloading can take days

OLD HOUSES MAKE NOISES, in fact, fairly new houses can make noises

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    There have been no reports of any earthquakes.
    !
    Wauregan, Connecticut seems have a fairly active fault

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Winter most common time ?

snow load on roof making supporting timber creak, when snow melts, you hear the creaking of the timbers unloading, same can happen from wind loads, the loading may happen during the windy period and unloading can take days

OLD HOUSES MAKE NOISES, in fact, fairly new houses can make noises
    It wasn't just in winter, however, the house had a field stone foundation that was not in the best of shape. Over the years it had all kinds of problems which had been "dealt with". The basement was especially interesting.There was no floor, it was bare ground. You could see how the foundation really was just a bunch of stones stacked on the ground. On one side of the basement was a large boulder which they simply built on top of and around. It rose up out of the ground an protruded into half of the basement. Over the years work had been done to provide additional support so there were columns all over the place that appeared as though they were randomly positioned to support various beams added in over the years. There was literally a stream running through the bare ground down middle of the space. Someone had previously worked the groove the running water cut by putting stones in it. It actually looked like something you'd see in a garden. Whenever it was particularly wet or rained a lot (spring) water would flow through it day and night for weeks.

I never understood why he bought that house. He would say it's because it had character, but the problems associated with it far out weighed the character in my opinion.

So yeah...The house may have just been shifting.

As I mentioned, the noises freaked me out but deep down I always wondered if there was some kind of explanation. Even the odor could have been something.

Really in the end it was about the reaction I saw from the others who lived there. I think that's what worked up in my mind...But I wasn't the only one. I may not be a "believer" but it makes me wonder.

High maintenance priss

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

NESR slumber party in the "bad" room?

Did you install the cameras yet?

Before you go looking for a hidden red room under the stairs, you might want to call an electrician.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    Did you install the cameras yet?
    No, I don't plan on setting up any cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Before you go looking for a hidden red room under the stairs, you might want to call an electrician.
    The doors and candles are not electric, maybe I should call a carpenter and a wax technician?

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Any new activity?

Paul_E_D

Very considerate of you, keeping the house "ghost" friendly.

The doors and candles are not electric, maybe I should call a carpenter and a wax technician?
    Naa, Ouija board will do just fine. At least find out what s/he/they want first. As kids, we used to mess around with the Ouija ... but never had big enough huevos to use it in my grandparents old Victorian house.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

throw up a trail cam in an area...... I'm sure you've got one around... You might catch a trouser trout out of its natural habitat

hmmmm......

Short bus rider

So I see what your saying " no ladies I would never record you on a hidden camera, no never never."

The doors can't be explained except that they are doors ��
    As far as the lights go if you are really serious you need to be VERY CONCERNED about that. I am an Electrician and have been one for 25 years. I can help you out with some info on this subject as long as this is not a poltergeist. PM me and I'll explain more. BTW I will not work on your house so don't ask, yes I'm scared. Unless you have a midget to perform an exorcism I'm not going near your property. Yes it must be a midget not a small person, a dwarf, a priest unless you have a young boy present or a GP guy. Only midgets have magic powers.

I never gave the paranormal much thought, until I first moved in with my wife, 6 years ago. About 3 months before we got together, her roommate at the time, hung herself in one of the bedrooms (she had been battling cancer for a cpl years and had recently found out it was terminal). There was a memorial planned for her and about an hour or so before we were gonna go, we were standing in the kitchen and my wife said "we aren't gonna go to the memorial because I don't wanna deal with everyone right now". As soon as she finished her sentence a coffee cup came flying out of the center of one of the plastic racks to dry dishes on and smashed against a wall. I mean this cup was in the center all by itself, no windows were open no traffic was driving by.

Also in that side of the house a few times I watched doors open and close and also watched the handle turn.

The was a few worse things that happened but I don't have time to type it out right now, I'll update this later. I am a full believer in paranormal now.

I'd love to experience so of that shit. But def not in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I'd love to experience so of that shit. But def not in my house.
    When something like that happens it is a major adrenaline rush combined with a flash of goosebumps but living with it and not being able to fully relax in your own home sucks and is very tiring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast