Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Re: Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Mine doesn’t sound hollow, it sounds solid
    replace it, have the plumber add a ball valve so you can isolate and replace it yourself the next time you need to and not have to call a plumber

I don’t. My neighbor plumber found it odd too.
    yeah, its not normal... looks like you have 3 pumps, do you have 3 thermostats?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    replace it, have the plumber add a ball valve so you can isolate and replace it yourself the next time you need to and not have to call a plumber

yeah, its not normal... looks like you have 3 pumps, do you have 3 thermostats?
    Yes three zones, basement, first floor, second floor.

We have a pellet stove that basically heats the entire house, and an electric water heater.

We bought the house 2.5 yrs and the inspector said that boiler had fully depreciated.

Don’t know how or what to replace it with, or if the oddity of the current setup will affect replacement.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

the only thing I can think of is some how the mixing valves are used to mix your 120 degree house water down to use it as some sort of recirc setup to keep your house at a certain temp and to keep the pipes from freezing if you run out of oil?

I don't see a back flow preventer on any of those lines either, seems a little risky.

also that blue plastic line coming out of the cold near the Hot water tank, are those fittings shark bites? if so then you know the homeowner, handyman or shitty contractor did that work (or a really shitty plumber). using shark bites is another risky thing in my professional opinion

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 01-10-21 at 08:33 PM.

What are the mixing valves we are talking about?

I see a green one which looks like it is probably for the tankless domestic hot-water. Both the feed and the output ball valves are off. My system is plumbed very similar as I also have an electric water heater for my hot-water now. Looks like both our electric heaters were added afterwards in similar ways.

I see something with a grey cap on the cold fill side. Is that what we are talking about. I would have assumed that is a pressure regulator.

Overall my setup is routed a bit cleaner, but mostly the same. I also have 3 zones with a circulator for each one.

Interesting bout shark bites. I have paid pros that have used shark bites a couple times. One did an emergency well pump and expansion tank replacement and the other a water filtration system. Both used those when going from pex to copper. The only sweat-on work done in the last 5+ years here is by my own hand. (And I wish I'd done pex instead!)

I didn’t do any of this work, but interesting that we replaced the water heater and it originally had red and blue pex which I was fine with but the guy insisted on copper.

Posting Freak

Are some of you guys saying that your technician tells you your efficiency when they service your boiler?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Are some of you guys saying that your technician tells you your efficiency when they service your boiler?
    writes it down on my ser vice card
    attached to boiler

hmmmm......

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    writes it down on my ser vice card
    attached to boiler
    Huh...This thread is a good reminder that I need to have mine serviced. I'll ask, because it's not written on the card.

Where is that pex line running to? Would almost venture a guess that there originally used to be an indirect waterheater setup and the previous owner didn't want to replumb and just dropped the electric unit in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    Where is that pex line running to? Would almost venture a guess that there originally used to be an indirect waterheater setup and the previous owner didn't want to replumb and just dropped the electric unit in its place.
    That’s fairly new, going to a spigot on the side of the house that was previously piped into a hot water pipe.

Planted a memorial tree and unknowingly was watering it with legit hot water.

I don’t know why that was set up like that, it’s the opposite side of the driveway...

Quote Originally Posted by db79 View Post
    I think it was a direct fired coil. All the plumbing is still there and the ball valves to it are turned off. The electric is doing the water heating now. Turn three valves the other way and the boiler would be doing the heating instead.

I think..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think it was a direct fired coil. All the plumbing is still there and the ball valves to it are turned off. The electric is doing the water heating now. Turn three valves the other way and the boiler would be doing the heating instead.

I think..
    My guess is the closed valves are for the water filling of boiler, using the ball valves rather than the back-flow valve to prevent boiler water from mixing with the potable water.

Also, don’t think you can have both electric and oil hot water in the set up, electric hot water heaters don’t work like that, and also if it were on a boiler zone, the hot water tank would have 4 pipes hooked to it rather than the 2 in the picture.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My guess is the closed valves are for the water filling of boiler, using the ball valves rather than the back-flow valve to prevent boiler water from mixing with the potable water.
    100% thats how its operating. its definitely not the best way to pipe it, i'd recommend a fastfill backflow for that

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Also, don’t think you can have both electric and oil hot water in the set up, electric hot water heaters don’t work like that, and also if it were on a boiler zone, the hot water tank would have 4 pipes hooked to it rather than the 2 in the picture.
    I also don't see any old indirect tank pipes. could be a tankless built into the boiler, though the boiler looks a bit small. you never know though.

If i had a better picture of the pipes and front of the boiler I could tell you exactly what's going on.

100% thats how its operating. its definitely not the best way to pipe it, i'd recommend a fastfill backflow for that

I also don't see any old indirect tank pipes. could be a tankless built into the boiler, though the boiler looks a bit small. you never know though.

If i had a better picture of the pipes and front of the boiler I could tell you exactly what's going on.
    Hey Philkinson, sorry to hijack Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?-6bc4b95b-f3e9-4856-ba62-99c1af3ea4d1Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?-eb0949b6-b663-4750-8bd9-8de5fa06b4f6

Interesting bout shark bites. I have paid pros that have used shark bites a couple times. One did an emergency well pump and expansion tank replacement and the other a water filtration system. Both used those when going from pex to copper. The only sweat-on work done in the last 5+ years here is by my own hand. (And I wish I'd done pex instead!)
    We only install Uponor pex unless it's a previous system with Watts or Viega. if we do any work near a sharkbite, it's gets cut out. if we use one in emergency we go back an replace it.

not saying they're going to leak, but as a plumber I've been taught not to use them unless emergency. Personally I wouldn't trust them, all other pex fitting are held on by some sort of pressure.

just type shark bite failure in google and read.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey Philkinson, sorry to hijack Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?-6bc4b95b-f3e9-4856-ba62-99c1af3ea4d1Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?-eb0949b6-b663-4750-8bd9-8de5fa06b4f6
    okay, you do have a fast fill backflow. it looked like a second mixing valve in your original picture.

PM me over some pictures so we don't have to keep taking up Phils thread . still want to see the left side there and also.. what's behind that black circulator, that could be a tankless coil. if it is, I can see why they went with an electric to replace it. replacing it in that location looks like a nightmare.

Yeah. That's plumbed like mine. Those circulators are on the return side. The fast fill comes in from the left into the return manifold through a ball valve that is wide open. The thing with the white/gray cap must be a pressure regulator. In the back there is another ball valve that is closed.. that goes to the hot water circuit. The coil is behind the black circulator. The green cap thing is the mixing valve for DHW. In your earlier photo there was another closed ball valve with a red handle. That goes from the DHW circuit on the boiler to the house. The whole DHW tankless coil is shut down; no water in or out. The electric tank is doing the work now.

House was probably built with the tankless coil. Later somebody got tired of cold showers and installed the electric tank. Just T'ed it in and shut the valves to the coil off.

If I'm right it works fine, just like mine.

We only install Uponor pex unless it's a previous system with Watts or Viega. if we do any work near a sharkbite, it's gets cut out. if we use one in emergency we go back an replace it.

not saying they're going to leak, but as a plumber I've been taught not to use them unless emergency. Personally I wouldn't trust them, all other pex fitting are held on by some sort of pressure.

just type shark bite failure in google and read.
    What is the right way to transition from coper to pex? Is there a crimp fitting for that? Crimp to sweat or something?

I read stuff like this and it leaves me not sleeping as well. I have shark-bite type fittings in two spots on my main feed from the well pump. This thread made me look.

What is the right way to transition from coper to pex? Is there a crimp fitting for that? Crimp to sweat or something?

I read stuff like this and it leaves me not sleeping as well. I have shark-bite type fittings in two spots on my main feed from the well pump. This thread made me look.
    we use a copper x pex adapter sweats or propress onto the copper and uses what ever type of pex fitting on the otherside (pex, watts or viega)

Upgrade my 30 year old oil furnace?-copper-pex-gif

if you want to get rid of them I can help you

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Attachment 54358Attachment 54359
    I find it weird that our water is tied into the boiler even though the water heater is electric. Seems like kinda a Frankenstein system.

Luckily one neighbor is a plumber and the other is a boiler guy, so I might get a super hook up on labor.

*ive seen other people post pics that come out sideways, which happened to me in this thread and SteveMs, if you take a screenshot of the pic and then try to post them it seems like it fixes that.
    Its tough to see in the photos but you could have one of two things going on.

1. You may not have a hot water coil on your boiler or its bad. Both are common.

2. It may be like my system where i run the water through the boiler then into the electric heater. I do it so i can shut the boiler down in the summer to save oil. In the winter both system work together. I did this during the oil crisis about 10 years ago. Paid for it self many times over but is probably running as a neutral cost now. I remember when i built the system when oil was at $4 a gallon it paid for itself in about a month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12