Another Vegas Trip Thread

Designing life since 1985 RyanNicholson's Avatar
    iTrader Score

Another Vegas Trip Thread

So my buddy took me to Mohegan Sun for my 30th... I'm one upping him and taking him to Vegas for a week for his. Got crazy cheap flights ($240/ea round trip direct all in) and flying out 6/7, staying at MGM that night. Planning on renting some Street Glides and heading out towards the Grand Canyon from 6/8-6/10, then checking back into MGM from 6/10-6/13 then flying back that night on a red eye. Got the 4 nights at MGM for under $600 total (assuming we'll get the resort fees when we check in). I also have some friends from LA coming out to join us as well.

We're pretty open as far as where to go on the bikes, other than wanting to see the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. Where we end up staying is going to be determined by what else we want to check out. I'd love to camp, but don't feel like bringing the gear out there.

I guess I'm more curious about the GC area as I've never been.

I've been out to Vegas a number of times in the past, but mostly just to play cards. He's never been.

I know a lot of the touristy stuff around town, but haven't been out there since 2012 or so. Any input on things to do, places to ride, sights to see, crazy deals, etc would be welcome. Something other than getting drunk and trying to not lose too much money... we'll have that part well covered.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 04-11-17 at 02:49 PM.

Re: Another Vegas Trip Thread

June can be 105+ degrees in the sun, its 5 hours and 275 miles to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and there are multitudes of deer on the road at night. At least go out with a plan B if its too hot.

The Valley of Fire State Park is beautiful, and a 2 1/2 hour round trip away from the strip.

Zion National Park is breathtaking, and 165 miles from Vegas. You can get there in less than 3 hours.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by audiojeff View Post

Zion National Park is breathtaking, and 165 miles from Vegas. You can get there in less than 3 hours.
    +1, it's just about all I remember from my last trip to Vegas area. You can check out Hoover dam on the way too...

1 Not allowed!

Hahaha Vegas...When?

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram/snapchat @cali2smoke

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

It's worth the upgrade to have air conditioning on the bikes. You'll thank me later.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Not gonna lie... after comparing to renting a decent car, we may go that route. We both wanted the bikes, but $150ish total with AC is sounding really good compared to $660 to be on two wheels.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Not gonna lie... after comparing to renting a decent car, we may go that route. We both wanted the bikes, but $150ish total with AC is sounding really good compared to $660 to be on two wheels.
    I'm no expert at traveling out there but I remember the ride from Vegas to Zion to be a lot of highway. Some of it boring thru the desert, some of it kinda cool thru some mountains with high speed limits and lots of tractor trailers. Not the greatest place to rent a bike, overall, IMO at least for that trip. We took a rental car and yeah ac was nice. I'd love to ride off road out there though.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 04-12-17 at 09:31 PM.

iTrader Score

Ended up reserving a convertible Camaro instead of the bikes. Booked a hotel in Zion for the 8th and another in Williams, AZ (just outside the south rim) for the 9th. Should be an awesome time.

2 Not allowed!

One more tip, most people visit the Grand Canyon on a bus, and stay for less than an hour. If you can, make it a point to be there before the busses arrive, or after they leave, its a different place without the crowds.

(And if you have the time in Zion to hike either the Narrows, Angels Landing, or both, do it.)

1 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

One more tip, most people visit the Grand Canyon on a bus, and stay for less than an hour. If you can, make it a point to be there before the busses arrive, or after they leave, its a different place without the crowds.

(And if you have the time in Zion to hike either the Narrows, Angels Landing, or both, do it.)
    Going to guess that sunrise or sunset would be pretty epic in a place like that

1 Not allowed!
    LRRS NV #300

good call on the convertible...it's over 90+ by June

so you guys don't EDM nightclub or dayclub or pool party?

0 Not allowed!
    2007 Suzuki DL650

iTrader Score

Yea hoping to do some light hiking while we're out there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    good call on the convertible...it's over 90+ by June

so you guys don't EDM nightclub or dayclub or pool party?
    Ha... not like 10 years ago, but once we get back to Vegas on Saturday that's what the weekend will be for. Then probably relaxing Mon/Tue before heading home.

0 Not allowed!

I don't follow the trending changes/openings of stuff in Vegas (although I've been 6 times in the last 9 months), and I don't remember 2012...but I don't think Omnia was there back then

nowadays Vegas "clubs" is all EDM - hip hop/top 40 are at the smaller places. And I'll be honest, there's a lot of cons:
    -hella expensive/2-3 hours line wait if you just show up
    -hard for groups of dudes to get in
    -SUPER crowded - like can't even move
    -you gotta like EDM
    -getting in without a table/place to sit sucks
    -getting a table sucks unless you're a girl with a promoter

most people come, and are "experiencing" it in a certain way that makes all those cons unimportant. If you care so much to show him the full experience, buy the tickets for the DJ Online in advance, check it out, be pretty drunk, check out the light show, and leave to resume your regularly scheduled programing.

Alternatively we've also done party bus tours (google for promo code) for $60 you get driven to 3 clubs with unlimited drinking on the bus, pics at the las vegas sign, and VIP/guest list line...we usually make friends with people on the bus and sometimes go on to other places after. You won't get to omnia, but usually they'll stop by Chateau or Drai's and that'll be enough "nightclub experience". Strip clubs - call them directly to get picked up in their limo and tip the driver $5-$10/head for a more VIP experience (do NOT take a cab - they get a kickback and suddenly you have a $45 cover with 2 drink minimum).

There are also a bunch of zip lining, new york roller coaster, shoot a shotgun, desert dune buggy, shows, ATV tours of Nellis dunes area blah blah stuff. I usually cruise groupon or travelzoo for all those items as you'll always save money buying those things in advance. Plan it all geographically...you will waste a ton of time walking if you don't start at one end of the strip and check off your activities along the way. Same goes for certain pool parties - we got the Venetian (Tao) and their pool party all access/no line buying a wrist band for $40 in advance at the Venetian website. We were definitely envied by the suckers in line as we cut the line...and pool parties cost a $$ to get a place to SIT. So it was nice going in and out whenever we wanted just to check it out and get a drink. Sometimes the hotel pools right next to it (I believe MGM has a lazy river too) were just as nice. Buy a case of water and leave it in the room...the whole area is super super dry. Maybe even a stool softener

remember - gambling is a losing game. No math helps you win. Only 3:2 single deck blackjack is downtown...so just set a budget you're okay losing and try to make it last. Get your cash from bank in advance to avoid the $3-5 fees at the atm (up to $40 at strip clubs).

have you been to Baccanal?

it's like $55 or something but you really get everything

there are also some new sports car experiences, but renting a convertible and driving out for the whole day in the desert is better bang for your buck

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-13-17 at 04:28 PM.
    2007 Suzuki DL650

iTrader Score

By any chance, is Jason Harris one of your buddies whos going?

0 Not allowed!

CCS #31

iTrader Score

hey man, i just went to vegas myself last June and experienced this blistering 110F myself first hand and it really isn't that bad. I rented a BMW F800 GT from EagleRider and it had no problems at all.

I would strongly recommend checking out Mt. Charleston - the elevation brings the temperature down a lot and it's pretty awesome to see the landscape change in real time from barren desert to lush pine trees. There are two routes - Kyle Canyon Rd. and Lee Canyon Rd. You will want to try each of these as they are both really good roads and will take you to the top. Maybe take one road up and the other down. There is a nice diner at the top too.

Hoover Dam is OK. If you can figure out when the least people are there, I would recommend checking it out. Maybe early in the morning or something. It's a lot of highway riding and the exhibit itself is a little underwhelming, but the area does have some nice roads. There isn't much to do when you get there. You can park or walk around for a few minutes but you'll probably wrap things up pretty quickly there

Red Rock canyon is an incredible ride too. Honestly, all the roads in the area are great. No stupid trees or people unexpected backing out of their driveways. Just wide open, well paved, high-visibility road.

as for the heat, it's counterintuitive but you actually need to cover up completely. dress light but you'll need a long sleeve t-shirt, full length pants, etc. Bring or buy one of those water backpacks. Mine held 2L and I drank all of it within 2 hours, so plan accordingly. When in doubt, bring far more than you think you'll need.

The heat really isn't bad.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Definitely appreciate the feedback and ideas. Still trying to figure out whether we want to have a game plan for the weekend or just wing it. Probably just figure it out when we get there. I think we're both more excited about exploring the area than the strip.

Quote Originally Posted by MaRce1o View Post
    By any chance, is Jason Harris one of your buddies whos going?
    Nah it's my buddy Craig. Some of you may have met him, he's been up to the track with me a couple times over the years.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I like to race exotic cars in Vegas.

Lamborghini Driving Experience in Las Vegas

$400 for 5 laps in a Lamborghini

1 Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

also - if you plan to return, I recommend getting a total rewards player's club membership

when I book rooms for myself/dudes, it's hard to get stuff free unless you know a gambler or you've already lost all that $$ 10x over gambling.

But when I compare a few sites (kayak.com, vegas.com, benefit hub/corporate discounts), I found the best deal on some hotels is with TR (ie. I am comped 26 days of the month at Rio...all with losing ~$80ish ). Mlife covers a lot of good hotels, but they don't seem to comp for $$hit unless you've lost a TON of money. And remember - a lot of these rewards/points expire annually...so if you don't come back within a calendar year, you start all over again.

I'll be there this weekend...

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-16-17 at 12:29 PM.
    2007 Suzuki DL650

iTrader Score

I went to Vegas every year from 2006 to 2012. It was when I was in my mid to late 20's. Was all about the party scene out there at that age. The two most fun things I did out there activity wise was we rented quads for a couple of hours and road around the desert on some trails (it was guided). Had to do it first thing in the morning due to heat. Second was we rented Jet Ski's on Lake Mead. I got to ride up pretty close to Hoover Dam. Was pretty cool to see it from that angle.

If I ever decide to go back I'd definitely check out Machine Gun Vegas. Rent fully automatic weapons, sign me up!!! Other than that, check out some shows. Cirque Du Sole shows are pretty cool but very expensive. Obviously the nightclubs are there but if you are two dudes, good luck getting in. Last time I went I found this guy who did guest list offerings. I was able to get into all the clubs right away, my g/f got in free and I usually got in half price or free. I highly doubt he's still around offering that service. Pool parties were a blast. I actually enjoyed the pool parties more than the nightclubs last time I went. When I first started going to Vegas, I used to use Vegas.com to get an idea of the things to do. It's really an adult's playground. Endless amounts of things to do.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

TL; DR - check out the Shelby American factory/tour, and the tour/van ride of Las Vegas Motor Speedway (just don't be hungover or a control freak for the latter)

0 Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- LRRS/CCS EX #47 --- 2012 LRRS AM Thunderbike Champion --- RSP Racing / Tony's Track Days / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Dyno Solutions / Sport Bike Track Gear / Knox / Brunetto T-Shirts / Mad Monkey Motortsports / MOTUL / GMD CompuTrack

iTrader Score

Well we definitely had a blast. Some friends from LA joined us for the road trip the first half of the week. Originally it was going to be just my buddy and I. I don't suggest trying to cover 700 miles in 3/4 days with four people in a convertible Camaro. We made the best of it though. We didn't do a ton of adventures... white water tubing in Zion was fun, lots of hiking, zip line over the old strip, lots of exploring, lots of gambling, lots of pool time, not a lot of sleep, lots of well... Vegasy stuff. I flew his (new) girlfriend out as a surprise the last couple days, he had no idea... blew his (very drunk) mind when she randomly showed up. I definitely went over budget but, screw it, it was a great time.

If you look close in the Grand Canyon pic you'll see my buddy standing on the right ledge of the tower... it was a little sketchy getting out there.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 06-26-17 at 01:24 PM.

Worth it!!

I wish every Boston rider gets the chance to see the desert and national parks!

Next time bro, seriously...bikes!!

1 Not allowed!
    2007 Suzuki DL650

iTrader Score

Man I love Vegas and the desert. I was stationed in Phoenix for 4 years before moving here and I sure do miss that corner of the country. Southern Colorado is pretty breathtaking too if you get the chance.

1 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    Man I love Vegas and the desert. I was stationed in Phoenix for 4 years before moving here and I sure do miss that corner of the country. Southern Colorado is pretty breathtaking too if you get the chance.
    I spent a ton of time in northern Utah and Colorado back when I was on the ski team... bouncing between Park City and Steamboat. I've been to Vegas 4 or 5 times but had never really ventured out of the city. Can't believe I waited this long... it was amazing. I actually liked Zion more than the GC... kinda knew what to expect as far as views go there. Zion blew my mind, and the downtown area was really cool.

0 Not allowed!