Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

New Work Vehicle

  1. #1
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    New Work Vehicle


    anyone know of a inexpensive truck/van type of vehicle that has good ground clearance, large tires, lots of rugged lockable rear storage, a drop down tailgate and a small footprint?...the company where i work we are looking for new vehicles (not used)...we are currently running older extended cab ford rangers with suicide doors, bed caps, and strobe lights which do what we need but are showing their age...new extended cab base rangers, colorados, seem to be hard to come by at a reasonable price at the moment due to stock...i figured i would throw a line out and see if anyone has a different type of vehicle (cheaper) that has the same necessary features and could do the same job and maybe save a little fuel...we use them for a lot of different kinds of work so we have specific needs...thanks in advance

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  2. #2
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Jeep Gladiator? Ridgeline? Tacoma/4runner? Frontier?

    Drop down tailgate requirement kind of kills all the small vans and SUVs, even the mini work vans like metris and transit connect.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 09-05-19 at 03:30 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  3. #3
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,775

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Have you checked on the Canyons as well? Frontier is not a terrible option for a smaller work truck, the 4x2's are fairly inexpensive.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  4. #4
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    4,706

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Pick the most available and affordable small pick up. That really is the only thing that is going to fit that description.

    0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  5. #5
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Why not go with F150? Availability is great. You can get whatever cab size you want. Tons of options. Very similar to what you’re using.

    1 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    ^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,206

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Why not go with F150? Availability is great. You can get whatever cab size you want. Tons of options. Very similar to what you’re using.
    Small footprint? F150 is a decent bit larger than an old ranger was. Nobody makes a truly compact pickup anymore. Modern compacts are the same size as old full sized pickups

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,775

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Not 100% true, Frontiers are still fairly small, but that’s just because they haven’t been updated since 1998.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  8. #8
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    How about a Ute kit?

    https://www.smythkitcars.com/

    0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  9. #9
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,375

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Caddy on Air

    New Work Vehicle-14310772_778324518976514_1809263183_n-jpg

    0 Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS #316 ECK Racing GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | OnTrack Media

    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  10. #10
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,853

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Small footprint? F150 is a decent bit larger than an old ranger was. Nobody makes a truly compact pickup anymore. Modern compacts are the same size as old full sized pickups
    I didn’t realize that size was an issue here. I was under the impression that they are looking for what a ranger can do, without eating up all the gas in the world and not paying out the ass for it.

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Ford Bronco is what you want--or, rather, it seems to tick all the boxes

    0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  12. #12
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    9,856

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Jeep Gladiator? Ridgeline? Tacoma/4runner? Frontier?

    Drop down tailgate requirement kind of kills all the small vans and SUVs, even the mini work vans like metris and transit connect.
    There are all kinds of drop-down work tables that can be attached to the inside of barn doors.

    “Large Tires” and “good ground clearance” are kind of vague. The Mercedes Metris is a RWD van with a V6 that might work if they want to expand their search beyond the compact pickups.

    http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/model/metris

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 09-06-19 at 05:24 PM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

  13. #13
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Why not go with F150? Availability is great. You can get whatever cab size you want. Tons of options. Very similar to what you’re using.
    All day every day. Just bought one for the shop and couldn’t be happier.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Jeep Gladiator? Ridgeline? Tacoma/4runner? Frontier?

    Drop down tailgate requirement kind of kills all the small vans and SUVs, even the mini work vans like metris and transit connect.
    yea i wasn't sure if there was a van out there with a tailgate...we sometimes have an employee sitting on the rear tailgate driving down the road slowly

    gladiator too expensive
    ridgeline too expensive/big...need more bed less cab
    tacoma would work
    frontier would work

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Have you checked on the Canyons as well? Frontier is not a terrible option for a smaller work truck, the 4x2's are fairly inexpensive.
    the canyons are nice but i'd imagine more expensive than the colorados...frontier would work

    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Pick the most available and affordable small pick up. That really is the only thing that is going to fit that description.
    yea that's what i'm finding...was just looking at any type of vehicle that wasn't a truck that would work with these parameters also

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Why not go with F150? Availability is great. You can get whatever cab size you want. Tons of options. Very similar to what you’re using.
    too big...need a smaller truck footprint

    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Small footprint? F150 is a decent bit larger than an old ranger was. Nobody makes a truly compact pickup anymore. Modern compacts are the same size as old full sized pickups
    i agree...the tacomas used to have a small 4x2...my family had a 2011 that had the small body on it

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Not 100% true, Frontiers are still fairly small, but that’s just because they haven’t been updated since 1998.
    yea this may be the way we end up going

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    How about a Ute kit?

    https://www.smythkitcars.com/
    they aren't going to pay to have someone build it and it won't have the clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I didn’t realize that size was an issue here. I was under the impression that they are looking for what a ranger can do, without eating up all the gas in the world and not paying out the ass for it.
    we work within the road sometimes as a moving operation so we want to keep the width and length as short as possible so cars can pass

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Ford Bronco is what you want--or, rather, it seems to tick all the boxes
    too big and expensive i imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There are all kinds of drop-down work tables that can be attached to the inside of barn doors.

    “Large Tires” and “good ground clearance” are kind of vague. The Mercedes Metris is a RWD van with a V6 that might work if they want to expand their search beyond the compact pickups.

    http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/model/metris
    need truck clearance and large tires for jumping curbs...employees already damaged a few ford escapes and blew some tires on curbs...curbs are high in some towns or where the road has been milled...the rear doors won't work either unless they can fold flat with the rear side of the vehicle...don't want anyone having to step wide to get around a door and get smoked by a car



    thanks fellas...looks like the only options we have at the moment are...all would need a cap or bed cover...just figured i would ask in case anyone knew of anything that we aren't thinking of...

    ranger
    colorado
    frontier
    tacoma

    i like the feature they have in the new rangers where the engine shuts off when the truck stops moving...these vehicles run all day but stop frequently so we don't shut them off each stop

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-10-19 at 09:23 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  15. #15
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,775

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    You can get a Canyon in SL trim, $23,790 for extended cab 4x2.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  16. #16
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,025

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yea i wasn't sure if there was a van out there with a tailgate...we sometimes have an employee sitting on the rear tailgate driving down the road slowly
    I don't think I'd post that on the internet. somehow I don't think it's OSHA compliant

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  17. #17
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,025

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    if you can import a Dihatsu Hijet, they make em in van and pickup variants, and even this van/pickup

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  18. #18
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    You can get a Canyon in SL trim, $23,790 for extended cab 4x2.
    Well then the canyon goes on the list...whether I can find one or not who knows

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I don't think I'd post that on the internet. somehow I don't think it's OSHA compliant
    Yea probably not but the police don’t seem to care

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if you can import a Dihatsu Hijet, they make em in van and pickup variants, and even this van/pickup
    That has a really short bed and no more clearance than a car...won’t fit an unfolded manhole magnet


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  19. #19
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    66
    Posts
    13,025

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    Well then the canyon goes on the list...whether I can find one or not who knows



    Yea probably not but the police don’t seem to care



    That has a really short bed and no more clearance than a car...won’t fit an unfolded manhole magnet


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    like I said, they make em in all configurations


    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  20. #20
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,898

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    There are a few Japanese imports like that on Reed rd in Dartmouth. The only problem with them here, for a real work vehicle, is they're incapable of maintaining highway speeds regularly and/or reliably.

    side note: my homie, who is 6'5" bought one for a toy. it's hysterical.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  21. #21
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    I'd make your list:
    1 Tacoma
    2 Ranger
    3 Colorado
    4 Canyon
    5 Frontier

    My biased opinion only.

    0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  22. #22
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    like I said, they make em in all configurations

    extended cab + long bed + bed cap?...highly doubt they would pick up one of these though being an import from a no name company

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    There are a few Japanese imports like that on Reed rd in Dartmouth. The only problem with them here, for a real work vehicle, is they're incapable of maintaining highway speeds regularly and/or reliably.

    side note: my homie, who is 6'5" bought one for a toy. it's hysterical.
    yea if they aren't reliable then they are off the table...not bad for an extra vehicle though

    Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I'd make your list:
    1 Tacoma
    2 Ranger
    3 Colorado
    4 Canyon
    5 Frontier

    My biased opinion only.
    yup this is the current list...not sure it will be in that particular order as they tend to buy american but we shall see...currently only have ford escapes, ford rangers, 1 chevy colorado and a couple van type vehicles (not sure of make/model) that are from a company that we acquired so those are not available to the rest of us to use

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-11-19 at 02:22 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  23. #23
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,898

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    I’m sure they’re plenty reliable, what I meant is 60 is really pushing it. Like really pushing it.
    Martins has a 660cc 3cyl. Gas.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  24. #24
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I’m sure they’re plenty reliable, what I meant is 60 is really pushing it. Like really pushing it.
    Martins has a 660cc 3cyl. Gas.
    i gotcha...we need to go highway speeds to get to where we need to work so over 60mph is a requirement

    1 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  25. #25
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,059

    Re: New Work Vehicle

    i kind of wish they made a longer jacked up honda element...that would be ideal i think...pull the rear seats and make the back rugged...actually i have no idea what the depth of the rear space is...it may be perfect...i just wish they still made them

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-12-19 at 07:31 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •