Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine best spot for retirement

Lifer

Re: Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine best spot for retirement

I have houses in ma, vt, and ny. I've lived in Maine for a good chunk of my life so im familiar with that state. I always wanted to buy in nh but the numbers never worked out in my favor like the other states.
    My ny house is what i consider my retirement house. Its in upstate ny (by that horrific limo crash, you can see my property in some of the photos of the scene) so land is crazy cheap. My taxes are fairly high but with what I paid for land it will take decades to equal out to what I would have paid for the same land in one of the other states. Food and products tend to be cheaper up there as well so the cost of living is lower. I also factored in quick trips to Canada on occasion to take advantage of the exchange rates. The other houses are used for skiing or lake access but I will retire to the ny house and sell off the others or rent them.
    I bought roughly 100acres for 75k and had a lovely log cabin built on it by the Amish. It had an existing 2 car garage on it that was a bonus. I think all in it cost me 125k. My yearly house taxes are $1500ish (a good chunk goes to schools) which is about equal to my cheaper vt house and like twice as much as my much more expensive ma house. Things like insurance and utilities are on par with the other houses.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I have houses in ma, vt, and ny. I've lived in Maine for a good chunk of my life so im familiar with that state. I always wanted to buy in nh but the numbers never worked out in my favor like the other states.
    My ny house is what i consider my retirement house. Its in upstate ny (by that horrific limo crash, you can see my property in some of the photos of the scene) so land is crazy cheap. My taxes are fairly high but with what I paid for land it will take decades to equal out to what I would have paid for the same land in one of the other states. Food and products tend to be cheaper up there as well so the cost of living is lower. I also factored in quick trips to Canada on occasion to take advantage of the exchange rates. The other houses are used for skiing or lake access but I will retire to the ny house and sell off the others or rent them.
    I bought roughly 100acres for 75k and had a lovely log cabin built on it by the Amish. It had an existing 2 car garage on it that was a bonus. I think all in it cost me 125k. My yearly house taxes are $1500ish (a good chunk goes to schools) which is about equal to my cheaper vt house and like twice as much as my much more expensive ma house. Things like insurance and utilities are on par with the other houses.
    I'm right down the road from your property in NY (Knox) and I pay ~$1000 a year for school and property on 16 acres of vacant land..

I find your rate strangely cheap.

0 Not allowed!

Tennessee nice house taxes like $900 / yr

Just stay put and escape when you do retire all the Northeast is a lost cause near Mass, Conn , burnt hippies

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I'm right down the road from your property in NY (Knox) and I pay ~$1000 a year for school and property on 16 acres of vacant land..

I find your rate strangely cheap.
    It might be touch more than 1500 now but not much. I only bought it 3 years ago.
    The land wasnt appraised very high and i actually paid extra on top of the asking price to make sure i got it as quick as possible. Towns value of it is much lower than i paid. You should also make sure they are billing you at 85% of the assessed value and not the full 100% in albany. I cant remember the exact details as it was explained to me but some towns were calculating taxes higher than they should have been and it was up to landowners to partition the town/county to lower the taxes to the actual amounts.

0 Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

buy a subdivided property. build you cabin on the smallest lot and Tree Farm the rest!

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    buy a subdivided property. build you cabin on the smallest lot and Tree Farm the rest!
    Tree farm as in cut your own Christmas trees, o as in preservation of forested land?

0 Not allowed!

So how does veh registration work in NH. I get that each town registers it and you pay a fortune compared to MA since it's basically excise and reg all rolled up into one. What I don't know is if it's different for the same vehicle town to town. Like say I wanted to move to Portsmouth. Would it cost me more to register the identical vehicle in Portsmouth vs if I moved to say Durham or is it the same amount regardless?

0 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    So how does veh registration work in NH. I get that each town registers it and you pay a fortune compared to MA since it's basically excise and reg all rolled up into one. What I don't know is if it's different for the same vehicle town to town. Like say I wanted to move to Portsmouth. Would it cost me more to register the identical vehicle in Portsmouth vs if I moved to say Durham or is it the same amount regardless?

registration cost is the same regardless of town. state portion is based on weight class, town portion is based on value (state sets value based on depreciating original sticker) once 10 years old, town portion remains steady. old shitboxes are cheap to register

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 10-15-18 at 10:12 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Shannon Sirjane | Facebook

There is this joint in Pawlet VT area. For 235

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12