Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Vermont registration help

  1. #1
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,578

    Vermont registration help


    Does anyone know a place or person that can offer help filling out the application for a VT registration? I seem to be in a grey area for a lot of things on it and i could use some help filling it out. I will be using it to legalize a few vehicles i have imported from Europe so i want to make sure its done right. I am doing a test run with what i think is the easier vehicle to make legal then i will move on to the harder ones. First up is my NSR.
    Normally i would go through Mass for this but you really need to be able to do a face to face application with them and they no longer allow that so you have to send all your documents in and they will decide without your involvement which i know wont go well. Its frustrating enough to do it in person, doing it via mail would be next to impossible i would guess.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifer TIMMYDUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The 14th State Vermont
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Vermont registration help

    I have a in person appointment for registrations on 9-16-2021 and would be willing to be your agent . Send me a PM if that would help you out .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

  3. #3
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    380

    Re: Vermont registration help

    VT is easy, don't sweat it. They have a website that tells you what you will need: https://appengine.egov.com/apps/vt/D...ocumentswizard

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    48
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Vermont registration help

    One important issue to keep in mind, VT doesn’t issue titles to vehicles/motorcycles 15 years old and older. Many states require a title for anything 20 years and newer, so there’s a 5 year gap with no titles. I recently had an issue trying to register a 16 year old bike in RI with a vt prior registration, and it was a no go.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  5. #5
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    VT is easy, don't sweat it. They have a website that tells you what you will need: https://appengine.egov.com/apps/vt/D...ocumentswizard
    So that list doesnt quite cover my process. I will be using VT as an import state basically so there is extra paperwork needed. The question is which ones and how to fill them out. One particular issue is they require a bill or sale or previous registration from the previous owner in said country. The grey area i am concerned about with that is technically i am the PO since i was using it prior to shipping over here. Now the question is will they accept me as the PO or do they want the actual PO from when i bought the motorcycle 6 or 7 years ago.

    I also have some confusion about the requirements for things related to size. Like i am registering a 125cc bike that is 30 years old. One bit of requirements say i need all sorts of documents and another says i need other documents because its being imported but there is no clear path. A lot of information is contradictory to me. Even if you follow that link i end up being told i need a visual vin inspection then it says its being suspended due to covid but the very next line is the link to the paperwork for it. Of course it being a 125cc bike means i shouldnt need it anyway but the importation part of it says i do.

    Maybe im over thinking things.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    One important issue to keep in mind, VT doesn’t issue titles to vehicles/motorcycles 15 years old and older. Many states require a title for anything 20 years and newer, so there’s a 5 year gap with no titles. I recently had an issue trying to register a 16 year old bike in RI with a vt prior registration, and it was a no go.
    no worries on that i think. One bike is 30 years old, another is nearly 100 years old and one car is 30 years old.

    You can just keep renewing the vt reg and plate anyway if its an issue right?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,010

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    One important issue to keep in mind, VT doesn’t issue titles to vehicles/motorcycles 15 years old and older. Many states require a title for anything 20 years and newer, so there’s a 5 year gap with no titles. I recently had an issue trying to register a 16 year old bike in RI with a vt prior registration, and it was a no go.
    RI shouldn't be able to refuse, you've got valid VT documentation, VT is a no title state, RI has to accept what VT offers. I've forced Maine to do the same with other vehicles that came from no title regions.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

  8. #8
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    48
    Posts
    14,101

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    no worries on that i think. One bike is 30 years old, another is nearly 100 years old and one car is 30 years old.

    You can just keep renewing the vt reg and plate anyway if its an issue right?
    Yes, you can. The issue is if you go to sell it, which was my plan when I was going to register in VT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    RI shouldn't be able to refuse, you've got valid VT documentation, VT is a no title state, RI has to accept what VT offers. I've forced Maine to do the same with other vehicles that came from no title regions.
    It's easy to say that, and in theory you are correct. I tried in RI, they said no, I had a close contact in Florida, they said no, I had a close contact in Az, they said no. Vt is a title state, they just limit the years required.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  9. #9
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    380

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    So that list doesnt quite cover my process. I will be using VT as an import state basically so there is extra paperwork needed. The question is which ones and how to fill them out. One particular issue is they require a bill or sale or previous registration from the previous owner in said country. The grey area i am concerned about with that is technically i am the PO since i was using it prior to shipping over here. Now the question is will they accept me as the PO or do they want the actual PO from when i bought the motorcycle 6 or 7 years ago.

    I also have some confusion about the requirements for things related to size. Like i am registering a 125cc bike that is 30 years old. One bit of requirements say i need all sorts of documents and another says i need other documents because its being imported but there is no clear path. A lot of information is contradictory to me. Even if you follow that link i end up being told i need a visual vin inspection then it says its being suspended due to covid but the very next line is the link to the paperwork for it. Of course it being a 125cc bike means i shouldnt need it anyway but the importation part of it says i do.

    Maybe im over thinking things.

    125cc is under 300cc. Hence it is Non-Titleable. And no VIN verification thanks to COVID. So just go and register it. Fill out VD-119 and VT-005. For the bill of sale:

    Bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the
    vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price,
    Mileage, Signature of Seller and Date of Sale

    Phone a friend, ANY friend, and have them help you on the bill of sale if you can't get in touch with the previous owner.

    Then just print out the NADA price, calculate the taxes and registration fees,
    https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/fees

    and put everything in an envelope with a check and mail it to the Montpelier Main Office. Takes about 6 weeks to get a plate and another 3-4 weeks for a sticker.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    125cc is under 300cc. Hence it is Non-Titleable. And no VIN verification thanks to COVID. So just go and register it. Fill out VD-119 and VT-005. For the bill of sale:

    Bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the
    vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price,
    Mileage, Signature of Seller and Date of Sale

    Phone a friend, ANY friend, and have them help you on the bill of sale if you can't get in touch with the previous owner.

    Then just print out the NADA price, calculate the taxes and registration fees,
    https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/fees

    and put everything in an envelope with a check and mail it to the Montpelier Main Office. Takes about 6 weeks to get a plate and another 3-4 weeks for a sticker.
    Ok. So my vehicles are imports so no NADA guide pricing. Is there a work around for that? Like a flat fee?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    380

    Re: Vermont registration help

    It would be based on purchase price. You can call them and they will tell you everything you need to know and even calculate the tax and fees for you.
    https://dmv.vermont.gov/contact/phone-numbers

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    holland ma.
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Vermont registration help

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    It would be based on purchase price. You can call them and they will tell you everything you need to know and even calculate the tax and fees for you.
    https://dmv.vermont.gov/contact/phone-numbers

    Thanks for the help. I called them today and while i had to wait well over an hour to talk to them they did answer all my questions. Basically i just need the vd-119 form and a bill of sale. My biggest question was in regards to whether if i am the previous owner since i have owned these for a long time in different countries and they confirmed that the previous owner requirement is for the last owner prior to myself. Its not a huge deal to me since i am still in touch with the various previous owners.
    The fee's are calculated off the value i assign the vehicles which traces back to the value i assigned them when i shipped them over if anyone was curious.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •