Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Lifer

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Just curious to see how much it's really affecting people with all the various rules and regs out there.

I am based in England so mine is probably more severe than some.

Work wise I am busier than ever. Working in robotics has put me in the forefront of demand. I still work 60 hours per week but I limit my hours beyond that. Most of my coworkers are doing 80 or 90. We more or less work solo so not much mingling with the general population.

Driving or riding has pretty much stopped. I take my car to work everyday but that's it. I havent been on my nsr since this began. The police and more annoyingly neighbor's are watching and recording your every movement then shaming you online and issuing you a fine are all common place. My poor wife hasnt left the house in 3 weeks now. She does not care to see herself on the neighborhood blog and having to defend herself. The roads are all fairly empty. I have a special permit for my car I can flash if I get stopped.

Grocery shopping is pretty much a part time job now. Your looking at at least a 2 or 3 hour wait to get into a major chain store. Rationing is in place so you can be limited in quantity of items. Some places are two or this or that and others limit you to 50 items overall. You can get into most little shops with minimal wait but they are usually not well stocked now. I would say my grocery bill has gone up 50% at least with several common items having gone up hundreds of percent. Police have started checking your baskets to make sure you are only buying things they approve of. You may be able to buy a movie in the supermarket but the police will take it from you before you leave the store.

If I am not working I am inside playing games. I have a big back yard that i roam in as well. We are allowed short breaks outside for recreation but the rules are very vague about it. You could walk to the end if your driveway and some neighbor will have taken your pic and shamed you online before can turn around and walk back. Or you could be gone all day and no one says a thing. I find it very helpful to put on all my safety gear before I leave the house to avoid being called out. I also have a special permit for myself that says I am critical to government operations that I can use if I am stopped walking someplace. Overall your better staying inside. The fines for being caught outside can get very high.

My 401k has been decimated I am sure. I havent checked nor will I. I suspect 50% down at least. The bitcoin crash of last year taught me to keep my cash in the bank so I lost very little on stocks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Why what’s going on?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Police have started checking your baskets to make sure you are only buying things they approve of. You may be able to buy a movie in the supermarket but the police will take it from you before you leave the store.
    WTF?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

septic systems are failing, I got plenty of work, what's new?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

That's pretty crazy.

I've been training (cycling and running) a lot still. Just doing it solo now instead of in groups. Having no access to swimming is a total bummer though. Was shaping up to be a really good swim season!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    No shit?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I’m now teaching 3rd grade mon-fri when I’m not at work. Gym class is still the most fun.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    No shit?
    No. Lots of shit.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    No shit?
    shits not the problem, that is what they are designed for, disinfectants are the problem

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Just curious to see how much it's really affecting people with all the various rules and regs out there.

I am based in England so mine is probably more severe than some.

Work wise I am busier than ever. Working in robotics has put me in the forefront of demand. I still work 60 hours per week but I limit my hours beyond that. Most of my coworkers are doing 80 or 90. We more or less work solo so not much mingling with the general population.

Driving or riding has pretty much stopped. I take my car to work everyday but that's it. I havent been on my nsr since this began. The police and more annoyingly neighbor's are watching and recording your every movement then shaming you online and issuing you a fine are all common place. My poor wife hasnt left the house in 3 weeks now. She does not care to see herself on the neighborhood blog and having to defend herself. The roads are all fairly empty. I have a special permit for my car I can flash if I get stopped.

Grocery shopping is pretty much a part time job now. Your looking at at least a 2 or 3 hour wait to get into a major chain store. Rationing is in place so you can be limited in quantity of items. Some places are two or this or that and others limit you to 50 items overall. You can get into most little shops with minimal wait but they are usually not well stocked now. I would say my grocery bill has gone up 50% at least with several common items having gone up hundreds of percent. Police have started checking your baskets to make sure you are only buying things they approve of. You may be able to buy a movie in the supermarket but the police will take it from you before you leave the store.

If I am not working I am inside playing games. I have a big back yard that i roam in as well. We are allowed short breaks outside for recreation but the rules are very vague about it. You could walk to the end if your driveway and some neighbor will have taken your pic and shamed you online before can turn around and walk back. Or you could be gone all day and no one says a thing. I find it very helpful to put on all my safety gear before I leave the house to avoid being called out. I also have a special permit for myself that says I am critical to government operations that I can use if I am stopped walking someplace. Overall your better staying inside. The fines for being caught outside can get very high.

My 401k has been decimated I am sure. I havent checked nor will I. I suspect 50% down at least. The bitcoin crash of last year taught me to keep my cash in the bank so I lost very little on stocks.
    I talk to people in the UK every day and not one mention of rationing or police approval of purchases. Care to provide a link to reports?

I know that they are being more strict on people driving around without good reason, but that's just being more prudent in trying to stop the spread. I agree that British facebook groups and community pages are places of informant terror only rivaled by the Hitler Youth, but it sounds to me like this virus is all a bit of an inconvenience to you and you think we should be going about our business as usual and let the genetics take care of the weak.

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Dic on

shits not the problem, that is what they are designed for, disinfectants are the problem
    If only there were some kind of means to improve a product's design over say, 10,000 years.

OXX

Working from home. Daily package deliveries to my house, some from work, some from wife shopping online.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    If only there were some kind of means to improve a product's design over say, 10,000 years.
    the concept of a septic system is not that old, we have finally phased out cesspools in the past 50 years, most populated areas with municipal sewer just dilute and dump into river/lake/ocean

there have been many improvements in my short 47 year career

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Working from home. Daily package deliveries to my house, some from work, some from wife shopping online.
    I can't do a soil test or detailed topography remotely, and the design/drafting/ submission, I have been doing from home for several years, I get my mail at a PO box, go to bank, and work my shopping in on trips I am doing anyway, just like I have always done

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Here in GA not too much has changed other than no more dining in at restaurants. People here seem to be taking social distancing seriously. TP is still hard to find, but the local Costco always seems to have some. The upshot here is gas prices have plummeted. 93 octane at Costco is $1.67/gal, and that’s top tier fuel. I’ve worked from home for almost 4 years now anyway so little difference on that end. Wife is now working from home and likely will be through May.

All in all, I’d say it has impacted my life by roughly 15% if I had to put a number on it.

For a week was running my 3D printer 24/7 to make face shield holders. The machine made one part every 71 minutes: we could make a dozen at a time but that took longer. So for a week slept on the couch, set a timer for each part, all night. In the morning my kids would take over so I’d sleep 3-4 hours straight unless making a delivery.

Last delivery today. So what do you do if you’re retired and normally you:
    • Play hockey five days a week.
    • Referee Lacrosse on weekends.
    • Watch your kids HS Lacrosse games.
    and those are all cancelled?

Read, walk, bicycle, lift weights, and 3D print bullshit. Now the weather is better Ill start working on the van.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 04-12-20 at 12:57 PM.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

this ^^ plumbers haven't slowed downat all i'm still working 45-55 hr weeks.

people are pooping, cleaning and using their kitchens at home more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post

I am hearing stories of handi-wipe clogs

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Life for me personally hasn't changed much. Still going to work, and we have actually increased staffing on our shift which has created overtime. Grocery shopping sucks. Not drinking beer with my neighbors sucks. Golf courses are still open which is my main hobby so I can still get out sometimes.

I cook the majority of my own meals. Really only go out to eat once in a blue moon so having the restaurants closed doesn't impact me all that much.

Shaved my head and grew a truly terrible mustache to piss my wife off.

My wife is a teacher and working from home for how ever effective they think that will be. But at least her income isn't compromised.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 04-12-20 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post

We have a project on hold because the two counter guys at the supplier got C19!

Not much has changed for me other than the guards at the Newport Navy campus randomly shooting the temp of my forehead when entering the base.
    Shopping has pretty much stayed the same, we always get up early to shop for groceries on a weekend, I've yet to see the shortages people often complain about.
    We used to go out to eat one evening a week, now we are ordering take out 1 evening a week instead.
    My partner has been working from home for the past 6 weeks, and the company expects it to be that way until June/July time frame. The dogs love the extra attention.
    Other than that, bussiness as usual.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Dic on

the concept of a septic system is not that old, we have finally phased out cesspools in the past 50 years, most populated areas with municipal sewer just dilute and dump into river/lake/ocean

there have been many improvements in my short 47 year career
    I know, I'm just jousting with you.

OXX

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Sucks that just being his first hand experience, and him being in our community isn’t enough.

He needs to cite references for you.

References from media outlets you approve of I’m sure.

Why is everything such a pissing contest?
    Why does it bother you when I call this stuff out?

The truth matters. The police DO NOT inspect what you buy in grocery stores in the UK. This kind of rumor-mongering leads to completely false stuff like the tales of "Sharia law zones" in London etc. This matters to me in this age of fake news. E30addict believed it, and he could easily tell it on another online forum and 100 people would then spread it.

I lived in the Uk for 29 years. I go back there every year and I speak to people there almost every single day. I don't like people gaslighting for effect, especially when it involves disparaging a country's freedoms when that country is actually a shitload more free that this one.

Scroll on by, dude. The irony of your comment was not lost on me.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

OXX

On the flip side, I have noticed in SoCal middle class neighborhoods how some peopleís lives have changed to hike more, eat out more, setup chairs outside and hang out with neighbors, go to parks, do video chats

Had this not been quarantine, they would just be on their ass inside, eating whatís in the fridge, never doing outdoor exercise, and bothered by having to interact with people

I am also relatively unaffected...I work in a community healthcare setting so itís business as usual (although a little crazy busy at times and dealing wí the panic mentality people, and week by week they impose stricter protocols). I chose not to ride, and that bugs me, but how often was I realistically going on big dirt rides? 5-6 times per year? Hasnít even been a full month since I did a quickie dirt ride so Meh

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-12-20 at 08:59 PM.

[QUOTE=Degsy;1563462

I lived in the Uk for 29 years. I go back there every year and I speak to people there almost every single day. I don't like people gaslighting for effect, especially when it involves disparaging a country's freedoms when that country is actually a shitload more free that this one.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.

Page 1 of 26 123456789101121 ... LastLast