Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 666

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

  1. #26
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?


    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Okay, Booster is a known exaggerater. I didnít realize.

    Whatís the irony?
    "Why is everything such a pissing contest"?

    -1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  2. #27
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    LOL.
    I set it up for someone to tell me I'm wrong. I expected something better than that.

    Care to elaborate?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  3. #28
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Why does it bother you when I call this stuff out?

    The truth matters. The police DO NOT inspect what you buy in grocery stores in the UK. This kind of rumor-mongering leads to completely false stuff like the tales of "Sharia law zones" in London etc. This matters to me in this age of fake news. E30addict believed it, and he could easily tell it on another online forum and 100 people would then spread it.

    I lived in the Uk for 29 years. I go back there every year and I speak to people there almost every single day. I don't like people gaslighting for effect, especially when it involves disparaging a country's freedoms when that country is actually a shitload more free that this one.

    Scroll on by, dude. The irony of your comment was not lost on me.
    Very curious how the UK is "a shitload more free" ? Honest non confrontation question.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

  4. #29
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Why does he have to type proof of his experience?
    I was hoping not to have to spell this out and look like some kind of even douchier person than I actually am.

    Well here goes:

    I KNOW what he is referring to. I know it's incorrect. I was trying to give him a chance to do a little more research and realize that he was incorrect in what he was saying and correct himself or adjust the wording.

    The story is that last Wednesday, the Chief Constable of Northamptonshire did what police are apt to do when they get a little power and start to enforce laws that don't actually exist. He stated that police would start checking shopping bags to make sure people are only shopping for "essential items". He pretty quickly got shot down for his idiocy and issued a retraction. It was the subject of much hilarity as far as I can tell.

    The national police chiefs council has made a statement relating to police randomly stopping motorists:
    "there is no power to "stop and account" - where an officer stops someone and asks where they are going - and says road checks on every vehicle are "disproportionate".

    -1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  5. #30
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Very curious how the UK is "a shitload more free" ? Honest non confrontation question.
    I guess it depends on what "freedom" means to you.

    If it means walking around in public with a gun, then probably the USA is more free.
    If it means walking around in public with a beer, then the UK is more free.

    Business insider produces a freedom ranking by country every year and I don't ever remember seeing the US on it near the top. Again, it probably doesn't have anything to do with freedom to own a handgun though.

    In the US, you are told from birth that you live in freedom utopia, so it sticks. Don't get me wrong, I love living here and it's plenty free enough for me (for now), but it's not some kind of oasis in a world of oppression. Quite the opposite.

    If I start listing freedoms in the UK, it just puts a target up for people to sling shit at, so I won't, because it's pointless.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 04-13-20 at 01:08 AM.
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  6. #31

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    ^ Degs, possibly your best post on this forum, ever.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #32
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Just looked at the list and it seems to be a top 30 of countries with high taxes, pro drugs, pro prostitution, inhibiting travel, and yes I'm a gun guy so next to no firearms in the top 30. I'm very well versed on the laws in the UK, I've watched every episode of top gear so I know what I'm talking about!

    Joke

    So guns aside if you say so you know better than I

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 04-12-20 at 11:05 PM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

  8. #33

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    I absolutely love America. I love living here. But I wish everyone could live in Europe the first 18-20 years of their lives. You guys honestly don’t understand how much stuff you’re missing out on. Times have also changed and Europe in general has picked up on a lot of american trends and has been Americanized in a way. Especially in the forms of entertainment. Having lived in both sides of the Atlantic is amazing. I really wish I had the heart to send my son to school there until graduation from high school. Then bring him right back here.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #34
    ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ma
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,279

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I am hearing stories of handi-wipe clogs
    PEOPLE DON'T FUCKING FLUSH ANYTHING DOWN YOUR TOILET BUT SHIT , PISS, and TOILET PAPER FOR the LOVE OF GOD!!

    Carry on

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #35
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I absolutely love America. I love living here. But I wish everyone could live in Europe the first 18-20 years of their lives. You guys honestly don’t understand how much stuff you’re missing out on. Times have also changed and Europe in general has picked up on a lot of american trends and has been Americanized in a way. Especially in the forms of entertainment. Having lived in both sides of the Atlantic is amazing. I really wish I had the heart to send my son to school there until graduation from high school. Then bring him right back here.
    Enlighten us

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

  11. #36

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Enlighten us
    I’m ready to head to bed but which part ?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #37
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I’m ready to head to bed but which part ?
    Just making conversation bud, lifestyle? People? Community? What's the #1 best thing that's better in Europe?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

  13. #38

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    There is really no one thing and I don’t like the whole better worse comparison.
    I may return to this tomorrow. For now have a good night everyone.
    The comment about my son go to school there is because education is far better and more advanced. College was a breeze for me here because of what I studied in high school across the pond.
    Also not having a drinking age growing up didn’t make alcohol so “desirable” as a witness here when “kids” turn 21 or go to college and then consider getting “fucked up” fun.
    Couple quick things in short I love about here: the real opportunity of your hard work paying off and the ability to really make your dreams a reality though hard work and without being a crook/unethical piece of shit/loaded with connections. Diversity. Multi culture societies and the ability to experience them all literally within few miles even less in cases. I like the States system too (originated in Ancient Greece actually), how there are national laws but states still have some liberty to make their own.
    Ok that’s it for tonight.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #39
    Senior Member MysterySquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    489

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    I’m a bit curious myself. I’ve been across the pond a few times, more specifically, Lithuania. For a while I even seriously contemplated Australia, but alas, I’m too old (I believe 44 was the cut off age for immigration). My very generalized takeaway is, I think, again, this is my limited perspective, I didn’t live there like these guys did, is that although it’s better in many ways from a society point of view, I could never have the things I have here over there. To live like I live here, I’d likely have to be crazy rich, like millionaire+ over there.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #40
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Just looked at the list and it seems to be a top 30 of countries with high taxes, pro drugs, pro prostitution, inhibiting travel, and yes I'm a gun guy so next to no firearms in the top 30. I'm very well versed on the laws in the UK, I've watched every episode of top gear so I know what I'm talking about!

    Joke

    So guns aside if you say so you know better than I
    High taxes maybe, but that evens out when you aren't paying student debt for 20+ years on average, absolutely incredible public transportation systems and infrastructure and don't factor in the $500 a month on average for healthcare costs in the US. Toss in an average vacation package of 5 to 7 weeks per year and things start to look different.

    Not sure I follow the "inhibiting travel" part, either. Most of the time in Europe you don't even realise you have crossed a border until the signs change language. Travel in Europe is free and unencumbered.

    As for guns, many European countries have gun laws similar to the US. Even in "gun free" UK it is pretty easy to get a rifle or shotgun license.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  16. #41
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    I’m a bit curious myself. I’ve been across the pond a few times, more specifically, Lithuania. For a while I even seriously contemplated Australia, but alas, I’m too old (I believe 44 was the cut off age for immigration). My very generalized takeaway is, I think, again, this is my limited perspective, I didn’t live there like these guys did, is that although it’s better in many ways from a society point of view, I could never have the things I have here over there. To live like I live here, I’d likely have to be crazy rich, like millionaire+ over there.
    Yeah, Eastern Europe is a bit different. Comparing the UK to Lithuania is like comparing Boston to Bogota. Both of them are in America, but eh, not really.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  17. #42
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    High taxes maybe, but that evens out when you aren't paying student debt for 20+ years on average, absolutely incredible public transportation systems and infrastructure and don't factor in the $500 a month on average for healthcare costs in the US. Toss in an average vacation package of 5 to 7 weeks per year and things start to look different.

    Not sure I follow the "inhibiting travel" part, either. Most of the time in Europe you don't even realise you have crossed a border until the signs change language. Travel in Europe is free and unencumbered.

    As for guns, many European countries have gun laws similar to the US. Even in "gun free" UK it is pretty easy to get a rifle or shotgun license.
    OK that sounds pretty sweet. The travel comment was in regards to (correct me if I'm wrong. probably am) don't they charge poor people with junk cars that get poor gas mileage a fee to even drive through London. While the rich cruise through in their telsas free of charge(kinda bullshit) . I just don't see how they are more free, sad to say they are "differently" free because if you really think about it freedom is somewhat of an illusion in, well every society.

    Eta still having a conversation over a pint my friend as I'm truly interested and intrigued on your life experiences. Not debating

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 04-13-20 at 01:31 AM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

  18. #43
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,647

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    OK that sounds pretty sweet. The travel comment was in regards to (correct me if I'm wrong. probably am) don't they charge poor people with junk cars that get poor gas mileage a fee to even drive through London. While the rich cruise through in their telsas free of charge(kinda bullshit) . I just don't see how they are more free, sad to say they are "differently" free because if you really think about it freedom is somewhat of an illusion in, well every society.

    Eta still having a conversation over a pint my friend as I'm truly interested and intrigued on your life experiences. Not debating
    Sounds like a plan!

    As for driving through London, yes, there are restrictions as there are in many major Euro cities. If they didn't do that, there would be gridlock 24x7. Did I mention fantastic public transportation? It's only the city center where you end up needing a special pass or pay a fee and youre far better off taking a train or tube into central London anyway as parking and traffic are a bitch. My mom lives about 35 miles outside London and I can get a train in to Kings Cross in about 23 minutes and then hop right on a tube anywhere in London. I think an all day pass (train, tube, bus,as many trips as you like) is around $40.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  19. #44
    Lifer G21forme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakes
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    So you pay a premium to drive your car into the city, if you Need a car you pay if not hit the tube. OK ok I can see that. Getting a coffee and adding to traffic is bullshit in this scenario, I get it. Hell it's basically like London is a parking garage, Boston is what 50$+to park during a Sox game. Fair point.

    Eta Jesus I hate this phone

    Ironically this is "the virus thread" and you're saying don't take a car into the city if it's not neccesarry and you can just take public transportation. Makes you think if we all did a little bit more of what we needed and save more for those who truly do.

    Eta lmao I remember the time Dave zx6r took a wrong turn in Boston gosh going on 15 years ago and it was 4$ish to go a mile to the next exit,.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by G21forme; 04-13-20 at 02:09 AM.
    [/IMG][/URL]

  20. #45

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    ^ Degs, possibly your best post on this forum, ever.
    Does he call you Linda?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Happy Trails

  21. #46
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,029

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I guess it depends on what "freedom" means to you.

    If it means walking around in public with a gun, then probably the USA is more free.
    If it means walking around in public with a beer, then the UK is more free.

    Business insider produces a freedom ranking by country every year and I don't ever remember seeing the US on it near the top. Again, it probably doesn't have anything to do with freedom to own a handgun though.

    In the US, you are told from birth that you live in freedom utopia, so it sticks. Don't get me wrong, I love living here and it's plenty free enough for me (for now), but it's not some kind of oasis in a world of oppression. Quite the opposite.

    If I start listing freedoms in the UK, it just puts a target up for people to sling shit at, so I won't, because it's pointless.
    First time you've hinted at the US gov being overbearing on the populace...

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  22. #47

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MysterySquid View Post
    I’m a bit curious myself. I’ve been across the pond a few times, more specifically, Lithuania. For a while I even seriously contemplated Australia, but alas, I’m too old (I believe 44 was the cut off age for immigration). My very generalized takeaway is, I think, again, this is my limited perspective, I didn’t live there like these guys did, is that although it’s better in many ways from a society point of view, I could never have the things I have here over there. To live like I live here, I’d likely have to be crazy rich, like millionaire+ over there.
    To add to Degsys comment, you also don’t live over there like you live here. That defeats the whole purpose.
    Do you know why I live here and not in Greece now? Because I prefer my lifestyle here now.
    That’s why I made the comment I wish my son could be raised there until he’s 18, then move here. Each side has its benefits and disadvantages.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #48
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,060

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Hate to get it back on topic, but...

    My day hasn't changed a helluva lot. Reduced the hours at the shop, but we're not turning on the OPEN sign. We'd like to avoid knuckleheads just walking in off the street for their $1.10 worth of copies of the utility bills for their assistance. Disinfect everything when they leave, blah-blah-blah. We're still pretty much up & running, but it's been slow as fuck these last few days. We were slammed at the onslaught of this through for a few weeks.

    I've been getting out on the bike & doing some safe-distance driveway visiting. And yeah, we're those people that will stand around a fire with a few people but we're quite a distance apart. It's awkward, but it is what it is. We've been keeping our circle very small in those situations as well.

    Shopping has been pretty much the usual for us. We usually do a big run every two or three weeks (like, a couple grocery carts sometimes), then do some small fill-in shopping as needed (usually once or twice) in between runs. Shopping's been fairly uneventful for the most part, but we haven't been since they started limiting customers up here. We've been able to get pretty much what we've needed, but that's for another thread I suppose.

    Home life is virtually unchanged other than having another teenager back at the house. Love her to death, but we have our moments. From time to time she needs to be reminded that she's not the only one being inconvenienced. Although I'll give it to her...she's working on a double major and a minor all from home now and she's got two jobs. One of them is about a 45 minute commute (one way) and she takes some decent hours.

    It's not so hard on the younger teenager (almost 14). We've never had video games or any of that shit so we've never had to deal with that. He's got the ATV's at his disposal and he's addicted to his mountain bike. He spent the better part of two weeks making a single track mountain bike trail throughout the wooded area of our small neighborhood. Once in a while we'll bring him down to the school so he can skateboard too. There's a few of us that do this and we make sure they all stay the fuck apart. The adults just pretty much stay by our own vehicles and shoot the shit from there. I've learned throughout this exercise just how bad my hearing is.

    I dunno. Things haven't changed ALL that much for us. But it's a bit different up around our area too. I'm not saying we all think we're safe, not at all. I guess in these less populated areas, people seem more at ease. I'm AMAZED though at how many people we see getting together and NOT observing safe distancing, etc.

    To date the CDC has zero confirmed cases reported for our town.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  24. #49
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,029

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    Yes, daily life changes.
    I wear a mask around the office when outside my personal office.
    My wife calls me 4x a day instead of 1x.
    My work load is very light.
    My son comes to the office almost daily now to workout.
    Other than that, not much has changed. My commute isn't much different, but I don't use highways, so that is probably a moot point.

    One of the big differences I do see is the change in attitude when you wear a mask into the bank. The response between mask and no mask has virtually flip flopped...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  25. #50
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,771

    Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

    I have no legitimate complaints. My wife and I are both working from home, income has been unaffected. My son is finishing his junior year at college at home and is working hard, but understandably unhappy with the situation.

    We are very, very fortunate to have been spared any economic impact and so far avoided illness.

    But, we all have irritations. I F%^&$*g hate teaching online, it takes all the fun out of it for me and for the students.

    If any of you have college students, push HARD as tuition paying parents to make the colleges figure shit out for the Fall. REFUSE to pay FTF tuition for online instruction, threaten to transfer, literally whatever it takes to wake them up.

    Tuition-driven college listen to $$$$, not to faculty, and they care about $$$$, not about the quality of the education.

    Make noise!!!

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •