Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61617181920212223242526

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

I wonder if UNH will survive. They were reportedly in a bad place before all this. And the state seemed to be uninterested in bailing them out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Under-endowed small private colleges are in the biggest danger. New England College in Henniker has an endowment of a little over $10 million. Hampshire College about $50, but they skipped a Freshman class last year. St Michaels in VT $89 million. AIC $19 million, Nichols $15, Becker, etc.

Dartmouth just cancelled five sports programs: Golf, Men's Lightweight Crew, and Swimming. And they have an endowment of over $5 Billion. If schools come back and we get a a second wave, that's going to wipe out more.

What is unknown is whether international students will come back. Right now if the school goes virtual, they won't be given a visa.

If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

What is unknown is whether international students will come back. Right now if the school goes virtual, they won't be given a visa.
    Ironic that Trump is willing to crater the economy further to score immigration points. I doubt he even realizes how huge an effect international students have big picture wise.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Yet another way this administration is destroying America from the inside out. We used to be an educational hub. Now. Maybe not?!
    Shifting sands. And we aren't helping ourselves here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dartmouth just cancelled five sports programs: Golf, Men's Lightweight Crew, and Swimming. And they have an endowment of over $5 Billion. If schools come back and we get a a second wave, that's going to wipe out more.
    I think the administration was looking to cancel some programs and this was a good excuse.

'08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I can't speak for now, but a billion years ago there were a number of people in that attended US colleges from China.

While I appreciate the federal administration's stance that if you can attend online, you can do so from anywhere.
    I don't think the federal administration understands that the Great Firewall of China is a thing.

He remains and idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I can't speak for now, but a billion years ago there were a number of people in that attended US colleges from China.

While I appreciate the federal administration's stance that if you can attend online, you can do so from anywhere.
    I don't think the federal administration understands that the Great Firewall of China is a thing.

He remains and idiot.
    *An

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

He remains and idiot.
    BU has a rather large Chinese student base.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

He remains and idiot.
    when I was in college, there were zero students from mainland China, plenty from Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, taking hotel management, so after graduation, they could go home to run daddy's whorehouse. It wasn't till after I graduated, that Nixon opened up trade with China. I'm not sure what Donnie learned at that Wharton School, beyond my area of knowledge.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

There are about 20 million college students in the country.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/07/world...gbr/index.html

Last edited by Garandman; 07-12-20 at 08:42 AM.
    Will Rogers

Three kids ostensibly away at school this fall.... Read this today. Colleges be crazy. Or greedy. From an NYU Professor:

https://www.profgalloway.com/higher-ed-enough-already
    I wrote this same thing to a select few colleagues two days ago. I believe that all of the promises of a return to campus were a shell game, or at best a hopeful delusion, to get as much money as the college can before moving online.

Colleges lose money on undergraduate instruction and make money on housing. They are vastly more concerned about getting students back in dorms than they are about education.

There is a strong belief that both parent and students would accept online classes if they are living on campus. This reinforces the idea that college has become a hugely expensive four year luxury sleep away camp with courses thrown in on the side.

I sat this as a professor who would rather die of COVID from teaching in class than teach remotely and who knows that college costs are outrageous and largely unconnected to learning.

I did the math and proved that my full salary plus 35% for benefits could be paid if every one of my students Venmo'd me $27 for each of our 28 meetings. $756 per student. That’s $3,800 a semester for five classes.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 07-12-20 at 06:48 AM.

If international students donít come, maybe Harvardís acceptance rate will increase above 5%, Northeastern 15%, BU 25% etc.
    Great. That way the government can back even more loans to subsidize the higher education industry

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I wrote this same thing to a select few colleagues two days ago. I believe that all of the promises of a return to campus were a shell game, or at best a hopeful delusion, to get as much money as the college can before moving online.

Colleges lose money on undergraduate instruction and make money on housing. They are vastly more concerned about getting students back in dorms than they are about education.

There is a strong belief that both parent and students would accept online classes if they are living on campus. This reinforces the idea that college has become a hugely expensive four year luxury sleep away camp with courses thrown in on the side.

I sat this as a professor who would rather die of COVID from teaching in class than teach remotely and who knows that college costs are outrageous and largely unconnected to learning.

I did the math and proved that my full salary plus 35% for benefits could be paid if every one of my students Venmo'd me $27 for each of our 28 meetings. $756 per student. That’s $3,800 a semester for five classes.
    Yeah, but who will pay for Cletus to get a full boat for throwing a ball gooder than Bubba?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Yeah, but who will pay for Cletus to get a full boat for throwing a ball gooder than Bubba?
    Those college-sponsored semi professional teams are an important marketing tool.

Will Rogers

... to attract more sports ballers.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

An Army buddy went to UFlorida. He had a job as a Football player tutor. On Monday he was given a 10 question multiple choice Biology test. The player had to take it on Friday. They still didn’t always pass.

Will Rogers

An Army buddy went to UFlorida. He had a job as a Football player tutor. On Monday he was given a 10 question multiple choice Biology test. The player had to take it on Friday. They still didn’t always pass.
    Yeah but 10 is a big number.

Driving to Colorado Springs. Stopped at a rest area off I90 in [Schyler] NY at 6:15pm.

2 cars, including mine. So there’s that.

Next stop USAF National Museum at. wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH.

Will Rogers

He remains and idiot.
    Yeah

To anger a conservative tell him a lie. To anger a leftist tell him the truth.

Eldest childs' school has almost entirely reversed course. Latest "plan" seems very (very, very) different than the "plan" they announced barely weeks ago. The administration seems to be between a rock and a few different had places.

We've all but decided to pull the plug and just home-school for 2020-2021. Kid is bright as fuck (not my genetics) and won't miss. Biggest hole will be in our sanity. And when I say "our" I mean my wife.

This shit is getting serious! SEMA 2020 cancelled!

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...o-away/614860/

“ The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 has sickened more than 16.5 million people across six continents. It is raging in countries that never contained the virus. It is resurging in many of the ones that did. If there was ever a time when this coronavirus could be contained, it has probably passed. One outcome is now looking almost certain: This virus is never going away.”

Last edited by Garandman; Today at 06:59 AM.
    Will Rogers