Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71718192021222324252627

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Does anyone know the details behind what it takes to have an employee reclassified as working in another state? My wife seems to think the company needs to have some sort of presence in the new state and pay some sort of corporate taxes there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I don't have any personal experience with this. We had an office in NH and and office in MA. I never worked from our MA office. Sometimes I would go there for meetings, but it was never my "work location".

According to https://help.zenefits.com/Taxes/Lear...ote_Employees/ the company has to at least register with the tax agency for the state where the worker works / lives to (and likely to comply with the tax requirements related to withholding etc for that state) have that worker not pay the "office location" taxes.
    There are of course some states with exceptions as well as some states with agreements with one another to complicate things.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with this. We had an office in NH and and office in MA. I never worked from our MA office. Sometimes I would go there for meetings, but it was never my "work location".

According to https://help.zenefits.com/Taxes/Lear...ote_Employees/ the company has to at least register with the tax agency for the state where the worker works / lives to (and likely to comply with the tax requirements related to withholding etc for that state) have that worker not pay the "office location" taxes.
    There are of course some states with exceptions as well as some states with agreements with one another to complicate things.
    that would make sense, NH's Business Enterprise Tax (BET) is based on payroll, our unseen income tax, I believe is 0.75%, but only need to file if gross receipts are over $217k, or BET tax base is over $108K, so it seems that only very small business are exempt

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Does anyone know the details behind what it takes to have an employee reclassified as working in another state? My wife seems to think the company needs to have some sort of presence in the new state and pay some sort of corporate taxes there.
    https://www.americanpayroll.org/comp...state-taxation

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UMass Amherst cancels virtually all residential life:

I am writing to you this evening to announce significant changes to our fall reopening plan.
    The worsening conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic nationally have led us to make the difficult decision to significantly reduce our campus population for the fall. While we remain committed to our previously announced instructional plan, regrettably, we are reversing our previously announced offer to provide on-campus housing for students whose coursework is entirely remote.

Only students who are enrolled in essential face-to-face classes, including laboratory, studio and capstone courses, which have been designated in SPIRE, will be accommodated in campus residence halls and be granted access to campus facilities and dining this fall. All other students, whose courses do not require a physical presence on campus, should plan to engage in their studies remotely, from home.

In the interest of public health, we also strongly urge our off-campus students whose coursework is remote to refrain from returning to the Amherst area for the fall semester, for they, too, will not have campus facilities at their disposal. Research laboratories, many of which resumed operation in the spring, will remain open.

We recognize there are some students who are dependent on campus housing and dining, and others, including some international students with specific visa requirements and students in healthcare fields, who will need to reside on campus. These situations will be handled on a case-by case basis, and in most instances will be accommodated.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-06-20 at 07:28 PM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    UMass Amherst cancels virtually all residential life:
    Cool. Will those fully remote students get a refund on all the bullshit campus fees for things they wont be using? My niece is a junior at Duke, told not to come to campus and they are still figuring it out. My brother got the bill though, and they are charging exactly the same as when the campus was fully open and utilized. Fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Cool. Will those fully remote students get a refund on all the bullshit campus fees for things they wont be using? My niece is a junior at Duke, told not to come to campus and they are still figuring it out. My brother got the bill though, and they are charging exactly the same as when the campus was fully open and utilized. Fuck that.
    That is going to be a huge problem nationally. Colleges are in big trouble and most of it is self inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Most private selective colleges are charging full price or nearly so.
    • Colorado College gave us a $5,000 discount last year for two months of room and board.
    • Princeton will have Freshmen and Juniors on campus in Fall and Sophomores and Seniors in Spring. They are refunding half of room and board and discounting tuition 10% [Princeton has the highest per-student endowment in the world].
    • Williams [Highest Liberal Arts College endowment] reduced tuition 15%.
    • Harvard is having only Freshman and Seniors back. They reduced tuition zero.
    • Yale is charging full tuition and refunding room and board.

There’s an * for the Ivies and Williams though because at Princeton, for example, nearly two thirds of students are financial aid, many 100% or nearly so. Direct tuition payments are a much smaller part of their income.

UMass is charging zero for room and board. They are charging tuition and that tuition is about 5X what their online program is.

The estimate I’ve seen is that one out of six students will defer entry, either as a “Gap Year” or forego the program entirely. The remote-only programs like SNH have seen big increases. This may finally derail the insane cost increases of college education.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-07-20 at 04:52 AM.
    If you get a thumbs down from me, pm me, it was inadvertent

Many colleges have leveraged themselves pretty heavily over the passed decade in the attempt to upgrade campuses supposedly to compete for the best students. They need the income to make the payments, not all have huge endowments. Many freshman are deferring a year due to campuses not opening and the fear of mingling on campus. This with no students on campus is causing a big issue with the income of many colleges and forcing budget reductions in unseen services like maintenance and grounds keeping. Short term gain. This pandemic is definitely going to have huge ramifications to colleges for years to come. But maybe it will put some better financial planning perspective to these schools.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    This pandemic is definitely going to have huge ramifications FOR EVERYONE for years to come.
    I still don't think we've come to terms with just how painful this is really going to be overall. Taxes and town budgets next year should interesting too.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I still don't think we've come to terms with just how painful this is really going to be overall. Taxes and town budgets next year should interesting too.
    I would agree, I know what I'm seeing in our industry and it is getting scary. Between limited production and spending, and throw in the fact that it is an election year, everything is way off.
    I would expect many towns looking for overrides come fall. I know our town has no problem going to that well with a leaky bucket. But in reality many I talk to are already against a wall, layoffs, reduced hours, businesses shutting down, people cannot afford to bail out the municipals and still get by for themselves. Now enter the political commentary....

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I would agree, I know what I'm seeing in our industry and it is getting scary. Between limited production and spending, and throw in the fact that it is an election year, everything is way off.
    I would expect many towns looking for overrides come fall. I know our town has no problem going to that well with a leaky bucket. But in reality many I talk to are already against a wall, layoffs, reduced hours, businesses shutting down, people cannot afford to bail out the municipals and still get by for themselves. Now enter the political commentary....
    They should just declare bankruptcy. Problem solved.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s suggestion last week that he’d rather let states go bankrupt than see Congress rescue their coronavirus-decimated budgets...

In terms of the larger, long term impact let’s keep a bit of perspective. I’m 60, probably a little older than the median here, but not by much. My generation has largely been spared any earth shaking events like this. Yes there have been cyclical recessions and wars and 9/11, but we haven’t had any world wars, plagues or famines.

We’re quickly losing the people who did live through WWII and its hardships and the Depression era folks are long gone. This pandemic is our great generational challenge and we have quite embarrassingly failed to meet it.

While all of these major, really major, events changed us as a nation, we emerged better and stronger. I would like to believe it will also be the case this time. But I have doubts. The lasting impact of the pandemic may not result from the virus itself, but from our terrible, divided, incoherent and ignorant response to it. Well beyond the impact of the virus, much of the long term damage this may do to us as a nation is self-inflicted.

As a doctor said last night on the telly, “I’m fighting two wars, one against the virus and one against stupidity. We can win the first one if the second one doesn’t defeat us.”

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 08-07-20 at 11:16 AM.

That field has been drying for a while now, the latest lightning strike has gotten things going.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Most private selective colleges are charging full price or nearly so.
    • Colorado College gave us a $5,000 discount last year for two months of room and board.
    • Princeton will have Freshmen and Juniors on campus in Fall and Sophomores and Seniors in Spring. They are refunding half of room and board and discounting tuition 10% [Princeton has the highest per-student endowment in the world].
    • Williams [Highest Liberal Arts College endowment] reduced tuition 15%.
    • Harvard is having only Freshman and Seniors back. They reduced tuition zero.
    • Yale is charging full tuition and refunding room and board.

There’s an * for the Ivies and Williams though because at Princeton, for example, nearly two thirds of students are financial aid, many 100% or nearly so. Direct tuition payments are a much smaller part of their income.

UMass is charging zero for room and board. They are charging tuition and that tuition is about 5X what their online program is.

The estimate I’ve seen is that one out of six students will defer entry, either as a “Gap Year” or forego the program entirely. The remote-only programs like SNH have seen big increases. This may finally derail the insane cost increases of college education.

my tuition at Paul Smith's, was $6k in 1970,

RandyO
    IBA#9560

My test came back negative. I’ve been wearing a mask in stores or near strangers. But I’ve been living my life, riding, going to Maine, running and hanging out with a fairly large family group.

Not being stupid and significantly decreasing risk isn’t very hard.

I do find that working from home I get sick of listening to all the negative news. Finding I've been spending more of my breaks watching feel good video clips on Youtube. Today's clip was of the oldest WWII vet still alive (at least at the time of the video). Made me smile just watching him reminisce. Guy was 109 and still driving!

Looks like NH is planning on filing a suit on the taxing out of state workers thing...

https://www.wmur.com/article/massach...date/34396810#

Last edited by jasnmar; 10-17-20 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Looks like NH is planning on filing a suit on the taxing out of state workers thing...

https://www.wmur.com/article/massach...date/34396810#
    This sucks. I think 98% of workers caught in this situation don't understand that they won't be permitted to file an exemption this year. My boss being one of them! Every time I raise this point with him he repeats "Well, I'm just going to file... it's a thing right on the return."

That said, Feltes really is an asshole, isn't he?! "..ongoing inability to work with surrounding governors.." This is also the same ass-hat that slipped in a provision in a budget bill to ban OHV's on Hoit marsh in Concord. Only place in the state with such a ban. In a budget bill with no public comment. I don't love Sununu, but geez man.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    They should just declare bankruptcy. Problem solved.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s suggestion last week that he’d rather let states go bankrupt than see Congress rescue their coronavirus-decimated budgets...
    Interesting coming from a guy whose state is third from the top when it comes to depending on federal dollars to survive. Maybe states on the other end of that spectrum should stop feeding Washington.

We have office space in the Pru, and I saw two people in the entire arcade. Looks like 1/3 of the stores are out of business, 1/3 are closed "temporarily" and 1/3 are still trying to make a go of it. I don't know how small businesses are going to survive another 6 months of this.

Last edited by Bonk!; 10-17-20 at 12:43 PM.

Unemployment is starting to run out for a lot of the people who lost their jobs early on in the pandemic.

I've been forced to take unpaid time off at my new job. "Mandatory vacation days".... but I don't have any to burn, so just unpaid days off.

"Recovery" is indeed going K shaped. The poor are getting fucked harder, while the rich are amassing wealth at a greater rate than ever before.

My buddy who is the head mortgage guy at our local CU is blown away by the market. His GF works for a real estate lawyer. She's doing 60+ hours a week trying to keep up with the closings. Vast majority are cash sales, no mortgages. Just people with half a mil to a mil to blow on a second house, driving the price up for everyone else.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Unemployment is starting to run out for a lot of the people who lost their jobs early on in the pandemic.

I've been forced to take unpaid time off at my new job. "Mandatory vacation days".... but I don't have any to burn, so just unpaid days off.

"Recovery" is indeed going K shaped. The poor are getting fucked harder, while the rich are amassing wealth at a greater rate than ever before.

My buddy who is the head mortgage guy at our local CU is blown away by the market. His GF works for a real estate lawyer. She's doing 60+ hours a week trying to keep up with the closings. Vast majority are cash sales, no mortgages. Just people with half a mil to a mil to blow on a second house, driving the price up for everyone else.
    Related but not really, with covid as a blue collar worker it's hard to find a bathroom of all things. Every other house on governors Island has a Porta potty and a dumpster, my go to for a poop and throw my trash out. Still plenty of money around the lake.

[/IMG][/URL]

I'm observing a higher demand for septic systems serving "in-law" apartments, twice within a week, I heard the same story, dad died, and mom don't want to live alone, and doesn't want elderly housing with covid rampant

RandyO
    IBA#9560