Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Re: How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have no legitimate complaints. My wife and I are both working from home, income has been unaffected. My son is finishing his junior year at college at home and is working hard, but understandably unhappy with the situation.

We are very, very fortunate to have been spared any economic impact and so far avoided illness.

But, we all have irritations. I F%^&$*g hate teaching online, it takes all the fun out of it for me and for the students.

If any of you have college students, push HARD as tuition paying parents to make the colleges figure shit out for the Fall. REFUSE to pay FTF tuition for online instruction, threaten to transfer, literally whatever it takes to wake them up.

Tuition-driven college listen to $$$$, not to faculty, and they care about $$$$, not about the quality of the education.

Make noise!!!
    My son goes to private HS, tuition is that of a small car. We went to them as a concerned parents group about tuition and such. They gave us the "it's costing us more to not have the kids in school right now because of IT and blah blah blah". To sum it up, pretty much not getting any of your money back, suck it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have no legitimate complaints. My wife and I are both working from home, income has been unaffected. My son is finishing his junior year at college at home and is working hard, but understandably unhappy with the situation.

We are very, very fortunate to have been spared any economic impact and so far avoided illness.

But, we all have irritations. I F%^&$*g hate teaching online, it takes all the fun out of it for me and for the students.

If any of you have college students, push HARD as tuition paying parents to make the colleges figure shit out for the Fall. REFUSE to pay FTF tuition for online instruction, threaten to transfer, literally whatever it takes to wake them up.

Tuition-driven college listen to $$$$, not to faculty, and they care about $$$$, not about the quality of the education.

Make noise!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    My son goes to private HS, tuition is that of a small car. We went to them as a concerned parents group about tuition and such. They gave us the "it's costing us more to not have the kids in school right now because of IT and blah blah blah". To sum it up, pretty much not getting any of your money back, suck it.
    Thankfully my daughter's college is working on some type of reimbursement plan for things like rooming, food plans, transportation packages...things of that nature.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

My life has changed quite a lot. I am working from home, and Kerry has been laid off. So, we are together 24/7. We started long distance, then kerry moved in, but too a travel job. We are enjoying it though. I'm busy as I do educational technology and our schools have gone online. But we have definitely taken full advantage of being at our new home. Our property abuts a state forest that has hiking trails that come to our door. We are hiking once or twice a day. I can also dirt ride in the surrounding forest. I have basically learned almost every trail and mountain out there.

We have started cleaning up our thickly wooded acres. Going to tear down an old shed and build a new one. I'm also doing bodywork/painting and prepping race bikes.

Shopping sucks as we have to wait to go in now. there are definitely shortages. Some markets are rationing certain goods to avoid hoarding.

I'm particularly annoyed with the social media shaming for this or that behavior. It feels like puritan times on steroids. Get over your self righteous BS people. Set a good example, fine. Judge people. FU.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Things are exactly the same for me, but at the same time completely different. I'm working from home but I usually work out of someone else's home office anyway. So not much has changed there. Workload has been light. We weren't able to close on our house in Miami in person which was a nightmare. We usually go out to eat once a week but we haven't been doing that at all. I also like to go shop in the colder months just because it gives me a warm place to wander around which I obviously haven't been able to do.

My wife and I have both been just playing videos games and watching netflix. We're both bored out of our minds, and we're both getting tired of the food situation. Me of cooking, her of the menu. She usually has a part time job in a restaurant which is now shut down, so she's home more than usual which is great. Just sucks that neither of us wants to cook and we can't go do anything in her free time.

The first Cars and Coffee over here was supposed to be in a couple weeks but that was canceled. Kind of sucks because that's one of the things I wanted to do before we moved. I have already missed a bunch of other things that were canceled.

I've been eating a lot less and a lot better since I started working from home. I've lost 8lbs at this point.. so it's not all bad, but it most definitely is all boring.

The single worst part for me is not seeing my friends and family as much as I'd like, and I think that's exacerbated by the move we have coming up. This spring was kind of my last opportunity to see these people without a huge trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    My daughter's college is giving a refund on the meal plan. But not tuition or room, which is most of the $$$.

BPS handed out 18,000 Netbooks to kids that didn't have them. I'm reluctantly in favor of that, because it's impossible for poor kids with no internet access to keep up otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Things are exactly the same for me, but at the same time completely different. I'm working from home but I usually work out of someone else's home office anyway. So not much has changed there. Workload has been light. We weren't able to close on our house in Miami in person which was a nightmare. We usually go out to eat once a week but we haven't been doing that at all. I also like to go shop in the colder months just because it gives me a warm place to wander around which I obviously haven't been able to do.

My wife and I have both been just playing videos games and watching netflix. We're both bored out of our minds, and we're both getting tired of the food situation. Me of cooking, her of the menu. She usually has a part time job in a restaurant which is now shut down, so she's home more than usual which is great. Just sucks that neither of us wants to cook and we can't go do anything in her free time.

The first Cars and Coffee over here was supposed to be in a couple weeks but that was canceled. Kind of sucks because that's one of the things I wanted to do before we moved. I have already missed a bunch of other things that were canceled.

I've been eating a lot less and a lot better since I started working from home. I've lost 8lbs at this point.. so it's not all bad, but it most definitely is all boring.

The single worst part for me is not seeing my friends and family as much as I'd like, and I think that's exacerbated by the move we have coming up. This spring was kind of my last opportunity to see these people without a huge trip.
    Ooph! Things like that are often the things we forget about being affected by this. Sorry, man. That sucks.

We just had a Cars & Coffee open up in Newington (NH). It's about a 45 minute drive for us, but we like to head out that way and pick up daughter #2 from college and take her out to eat. I wanted to pop in and check it out, but I was incredibly underwhelmed. I want to say it was early to mid February (before everything hit the fan). Other than a few really nice auto's and one custom bike, it was really pretty boring. No food nor beverages were being served (the counter wasn't even staffed) and pretty sparse of vehicles. I don't know if it was the season, but I'd have no need to go back to that particular one.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    T//The first Cars and Coffee over here was supposed to be in a couple weeks but that was canceled. Kind of sucks because that's one of the things I wanted to do before we moved. I have already missed a bunch of other things that were canceled. //
    We go to the ones at Larz Anderson Museum and they are amazing! So I was disappointed as well.

Not to mention buying a van and working on it all last year to take a Spring trip to NC/SC/GA and a summer trip out West. Ixnay.

How has the virus affected your day to day life?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I am hearing stories of handi-wipe clogs
    yup...when the TP gets hoarded then people buy out the baby wipes and flush away...nursing homes are notorious for flushing wipes and condoms...messes up the treatment plants and sometimes the sewer mains...wipes are not flushable no matter what it says on the package

as for myself...was out last week doing sewer manhole inspections...used a lot more nitrile gloves than normal...didn't have any masks though...washed tools a lot...this week in the office watching sewer cctv videos...since IT doesn't want me watching them over the VPN i'm in the office where there are only a few of us so it's real quiet...not many people on my daily commute which is nice...there was a line outside at the local walmart where i was going to go return something on saturday so i went home and popped in there this morning when they opened...wife did some online food shopping through instacart...probably won't do that again cause they don't go to market basket which is cheaper than the local stop and shop...she is going nuts trying to teach remotely, make lesson videos, answer emails/questions, having tech issues with her ipevo camera and software...all while trying to corral a 2 year old...after working all week one whole day of her weekend is eaten by lesson planning for the next week...hoping the new cases curve starts leveling and plummeting soon

here's some glamour shots...

Last edited by Point37; 04-13-20 at 11:35 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I'm fortunate that our household income has been unaffected as we are both "essential." She's in education and I'm part of the defense industrial base.

The type of work I do has some aspects that are well suited for working at home while others require me to be in the office. Up until last week, I was nearly 100% at home but then our production group ran into some issues which required me to commute in for a week. While not as bad as a NH to Boston commute, mine is still a pain in the ass but with the lighter traffic my ride into work has been a dream. Set the cruise, listen to the radio, and enjoy the escape from the house. I was even scheduled to fly to a government facility this week but it was cancelled last minute due to a couple of people testing positive for Covid.

The wife has transitioned to 100% work from home with some incidental trips to her building for administrative reasons.

My kids (3rd and 5th grade) have been doing pretty well with online learning. We are fortunate that the school district they are in was prepared for the shutdown and the transition to schooling at home went off with little fanfare. Trying to keep them entertained after they finish their work has been a challenge especially on rainy days like today. There are some neighborhood kids they play with even though the parents are keeping their distance. I think everyone appreciates the struggle of young kids being cooped up for too long.

We are lucky that we can walk into Bear Brook State Park from our house so we have been taking regular walks on the trails. We enter from the back side of the park (Southern end) and rarely encounter more than 2 or 3 people on a 5 mile walk. I've been told it's a lot busier near the main entrance.

Grocery shopping hasn't been much of an issue. My wife doesn't like to food shop so I've been the only one going which is fine by me. Other than certain paper products, every grocery store in my area has had plenty of stock of everything I've needed.

I usually consider myself fairly introverted but I'm dying for some social interaction!

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    NSFW!

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yup...when the TP gets hoarded then people buy out the baby wipes and flush away...nursing homes are notorious for flushing wipes and condoms...messes up the treatment plants and sometimes the sewer mains...wipes are not flushable no matter what it says on the package

as for myself...was out last week doing sewer manhole inspections...used a lot more nitrile gloves than normal...didn't have any masks though...washed tools a lot...this week in the office watching sewer cctv videos...since IT doesn't want me watching them over the VPN i'm in the office where there are only a few of us so it's real quiet...not many people on my daily commute which is nice...there was a line outside at the local walmart where i was going to go return something on saturday so i went home and popped in there this morning when they opened...wife did some online food shopping through instacart...probably won't do that again cause they don't go to market basket which is cheaper than the local stop and shop...she is going nuts trying to teach remotely, make lesson videos, answer emails/questions, having tech issues with her ipevo camera and software...all while trying to corral a 2 year old...after working all week one whole day of her weekend is eaten by lesson planning for the next week...hoping the new cases curve starts leveling and plummeting soon

Shittiest post ever...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bear Brook is awesome! Lucky to live next to it! Mountain biking there is

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My daughter's college is giving a refund on the meal plan. But not tuition or room, which is most of the $$$.
    Dartmouth is giving us back the mean plans (small $), the program fee (small $), and the housing fee (moderate $, but only some first-years live on campus).

There are definitely calls to get bigger refunds, as the tuition is stratospheric, but I don't think those calls are going to get answered.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

My boy (7th grader, 13 years old) is doing incredibly well with his schoolwork now. He had struggles with schoolwork for the last two years to the point of getting him extra help. And of course, our wonderful school teachers up here down right refuse to do ANY after school help (they didn't get the 8% raises they wanted last year, we "only" voted in a 3% raise) so we were left to find a solution on our own.

The first couple days of remote learning were sketchy & shaky and I thought we were in for a world. Nope! His grades are better than they've been in these last two years without any outside help. And due to the lack of stress on his part, his attitude has changed drastically. What a turnaround for that kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    My boy (7th grader, 13 years old) is doing incredibly well with his schoolwork now. He had struggles with schoolwork for the last two years to the point of getting him extra help. And of course, our wonderful school teachers up here down right refuse to do ANY after school help (they didn't get the 8% raises they wanted last year, we "only" voted in a 3% raise) so we were left to find a solution on our own.

The first couple days of remote learning were sketchy & shaky and I thought we were in for a world. Nope! His grades are better than they've been in these last two years without any outside help. And due to the lack of stress on his part, his attitude has changed drastically. What a turnaround for that kid!
    I'm putting my flame suit on give me a minute.

The teachers refused to stay after school to help him so you were left to find a solution on your own..... He's your kid man

[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Dartmouth is giving us back the mean plans (small $), the program fee (small $), and the housing fee (moderate $, but only some first-years live on campus).

There are definitely calls to get bigger refunds, as the tuition is stratospheric, but I don't think those calls are going to get answered.
    Double edged sword here. The cynic in me says colleges giving out large refunds to be people will have an easier excuse as to why tuition needs to be raised in the future. Dire financial times due to increased Cornona shut down costs...........

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Double edged sword here. The cynic in me says colleges giving out large refunds to be people will have an easier excuse as to why tuition needs to be raised in the future. Dire financial times due to increased Cornona shut down costs...........
    It's business school, not undergrad school, so they don't really need a reason to jack the prices

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

It's business school, not undergrad school, so they don't really need a reason to jack the prices
    I was thinking more tuition b.s. in general.

B.U. is talking about pushing things until next year at this point. Small colleges were going under before this whole deal. I imagine the smaller schools are under immense pressure and the larger ones are seeing unacceptable hits that they'll want to reverse in due time.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Dartmouth's Tuck Business School Tuition and Fees.

Yikes! Princeton undergrad is "only" $74,000 - not even Top 10!

Ivy endowments fell 20-25% in 2008-2009. Not clear where they will wind up after all this. The many schools that were marginally solvent are going to be badly hurt. Not to mention the whole resident-student business model has been overturned by these distance-learning programs, most of which being offered pass/fail.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-13-20 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

In this situation, there was likely nothing the teachers could have done after school. The institution is creating the stress for your son. This is not uncommon. It's great that you have discovered that he can thrive in a less structured learning environment. There is a program local to me that is high school without walls so to speak. I highly recommend you look for something like this for him. http://www.northstarteens.org/

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I'm putting my flame suit on give me a minute.

The teachers refused to stay after school to help him so you were left to find a solution on your own..... He's your kid man
    Don't even start with me you fuckin' twerp. Anyone who knows us knows our kids are our lives and our lives revolve around them. Always have, always will. We do everything we can for them all. You wanna have a discussion about how we treat our kids, what we do for them and/or your fucked up perception about how we feel about spending time/resources with them? We'll have that discussion face-to-face you fuckin' twat...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    In this situation, there was likely nothing the teachers could have done after school. The institution is creating the stress for your son. This is not uncommon. It's great that you have discovered that he can thrive in a less structured learning environment. There is a program local to me that is high school without walls so to speak. I highly recommend you look for something like this for him. http://www.northstarteens.org/
    Bottom line is, we HAVE to get him out of that school. I'd love to have this discussion offline, in private with you. You could probably provide some great insight. We've seen too many kids like him struggle like hell in our middle school only to get to our wonderful high school and thrive. Once he started having scholastic problems, he gets labeled as a troubled kid. They start targeting kids like him and brow beat them - really put the screws to him. That added stress has only made things worse & worse. And with that added stress naturally comes some behavioral issues, many of them unfair to him. Again, I won't get into it here. Specifically I'm not about ready to listen to fucksticks like G21forme offer their dickhead commentary.

The simple fact that he doesn't have to deal with those teachers that run him like that is the sole reason behind him now excelling. We WILL be finding an alternative for him to finish junior high someplace other than his present school.

And we're far from the only parents that have had to deal with this these last couple years. It's rather wide spread and the current school board is too chicken shit to do anything about it. Thankfully, we have a group of parents that have vowed to run for the board that promise to clean this shit up.

Damn man really flew off the rails there. My boy is or was in the same boat. Behavioral issues, learning disability, anger issues you name it. His mum and I spent the time and money to take him out of public school and enrolled him in a charter school that had less students per class and more hands on if you will. And there was no bus so we had to coordinate our schedules to drop him off, 25 min each way. We also kept in touch with his teachers via email, texts, calls, and meetings. Every night has been homework, dinner, family games, and then he gets to go nuts with his mic on ps4 with his friends. I'm sorry your kids teachers aren't doing a good job of raising your child I really am, did you offer to pay them to stay late? Nope you didn't. My sister and sister in law have each been teaching for 20 years and this entitled bullshit is really tough on them because they really do want to see kids succeed. Or you could just blame teachers for not staying late for free...

[/IMG][/URL]

Greg, no bs, im seriously beginning to question your English comprehension at this point. And English is my third language man.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Damn man really flew off the rails there. My boy is or was in the same boat. Behavioral issues, learning disability, anger issues you name it. His mum and I spent the time and money to take him out of public school and enrolled him in a charter school that had less students per class and more hands on if you will. And there was no bus so we had to coordinate our schedules to drop him off, 25 min each way. We also kept in touch with his teachers via email, texts, calls, and meetings. Every night has been homework, dinner, family games, and then he gets to go nuts with his mic on ps4 with his friends. I'm sorry your kids teachers aren't doing a good job of raising your child I really am, did you offer to pay them to stay late? Nope you didn't. My sister and sister in law have each been teaching for 20 years and this entitled bullshit is really tough on them because they really do want to see kids succeed. Or you could just blame teachers for not staying late for free...
    It's your mouth that flies off the rails you fuck. FREE? The average salary of teachers in my town is now DOUBLE the average income of most single full-time workers. Fuck, a lot of them make about what a DOUBLE INCOME family make. FREE? Try again, you little grunt.

Again, move on. If you REALLY want to carry this on, I'll be happy to meet you somewhere to discuss this. It looks like we may not have much travelling to do.