Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Visiting IOM TT for the first time next year

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Visiting IOM TT for the first time next year

Been infatuated with it for 10+ years, and have been trying to plan a trip for 6+ years. My wife and I tried to go for our honeymoon, but that didn't happen, so we're going for our 4th anniversary - in 2018.

I already booked a place to stay - "glamping" in Douglas for practice week (Monday-Friday) with these guys (Isle of Man TT 2018 Packages | Camping and Glamping Packages In Douglas). Going for race week would obviously be cool, but from everything I've heard, practice week has way more action, is cheaper, less crowded, and generally more fun. Plus, I don't really care who wins any given race.

The stuff I need help with is everything else. I *think* the plan is to fly into Dublin (or somewhere) on Friday or Saturday, stay for a few days before flying to the IOM on Monday. I say flying because the ferry schedule from Ireland seems terrible and flights are cheap. After the week on the IOM, I'm thinking we'll fly back to Dublin for a few days and hop on a train or rental car and explore a bit, and fly back at the end of the week (about two weeks total). My wife used to live over there and wants to visit Gallway and a few other spots.

I haven't booked flights in or out of Boston, flights/ferry in or out of the IOM, or places to stay outside of the IOM. Despite every desire in my body, I am not renting a bike on the island. I looked into it, found some that are available, but they have long minimum stays during the TT and it gets expensive fast. That said, if you know of a place that will rent me a bike on the island for one or two days, let me know. Either way, not super worried about it. They have buses to shuttle people around the island, and without a bike I'll be able to drink more.

What do the veterans suggest? I don't have a real strong desire to visit the UK, but it might make sense to fly into there, stay for a few days, ferry over to IOM, fly to Dublin, and finish out the trip in Ireland. Very open to ideas.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Visiting IOM TT for the first time next year

My first trip to the Isle was last year to watch the Manx GP. Honestly, if you'd be happy "just" going to see IOM TT practice week (as opposed to race week), I think you should go to the Manx GP race week instead. It's much less crowded than the IOM TT will be, and you'll still see almost all of the best riders. Yeah, the machinery will be different, but it's still an amazing atmosphere -- the real riders on the real track trying to set real records.

It was quiet enough that I got to meet and get selfies with Bruce Anstey, Michael Dunlop and William Dunlop. No queues, no lines, just a quick "G'day mate, could I get a photo?" and I was in heaven. Of course, I told William that he was my favorite brother (which, admittedly, is true) and he cracked a pretty big smile.

If you're not taking a bike over, I wouldn't bother with the ferry. As you've noted, the schedule sucks and it's much easier to fly. I flew Boston/Dublin/Manchester/Douglas (I booked late!) to get there and Douglas/Dublin/Boston to come home.

I'll look through my magazines and find some bike rental companies, but so many of the roads are closed that you'd need to get there a few days before or after to make it worthwhile. It's a very small island, and both the GP and the TT make a massive impact on logistics when they're running. I took the bus everywhere, the drivers are friendly and I'd just get on and say "Which bus to this part of the track?" and they would know. A pound or two for the fare and you're on your way!

It's an amazing trip and I'd do it again tomorrow. You really feel like you can reach out and touch the riders; I took this at Braddan Bridge:

I posted photos last year with some of the riders but you cunts made fun of me so you can all get fucked.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 08-10-17 at 09:25 AM.
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

That's rad.

Yeah, I would definitely like to make the rounds and see a bunch of races over there, including Manx. I'll tick IOM off of the list first. I can always go back!

No worries on the bike rental stuff. I've pretty much talked myself out of it.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

If your heart is set on the IOM TT races, then yeah, I would go to IOM TT race week. But if you just want to go and experience racing on the island, then the GP is great because you get so much of the real experience with such light crowds.

It's also much easier to find accommodation for the GP. I found an Airbnb a few weeks before the race and it was great!

1 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    iTrader Score

I went with Sav last year for the Manx. Kate and are are in love and have a new found respect for this lil isle and what it has to offer.
    the Manx was very comfortable, not as crowded from i have been told by the locals and plenty of opportunity to see everything without a fus. you still get to see the big players in the pits w/out them being swarmed.

I listen to the radio station to feel like i am there every day at work.
    Manx Radioplayer AM

when you go have a beer for me.

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    That's rad.

Yeah, I would definitely like to make the rounds and see a bunch of races over there, including Manx. I'll tick IOM off of the list first. I can always go back!

No worries on the bike rental stuff. I've pretty much talked myself out of it.

YOU MUST DO IT. even if it is on a 150 scooter. We put over 500 miles on a Honda 150 and yes did the full course. i passed cars ans bikes in the MT course with Kate on the back. oh th elooks we were getting was priceless!

0 Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I’m jealous of your plans. I tried to line this up a couple years ago but work got in the way and I didn't go. My loss. Good on you for making it a go. As for the scooter...we'd like to see a pic knee down on a scooter at IOM. That's desktop material.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

living over here I would say your best bet is to firm up your plans sooner rather than later. it gets really tough to book things quickly.

If your going to be in the area for a while you can rent a bike on the mainland and take it over. I bought one when I was first visiting here to do just that. I think realistically the cheapest you will be able to rent a bike for is about $150 per day but your probably looking at about $250 for a good sized bike and insurance.

if your wife lived in Dublin then you should have no problems finding places to go but my suggestion would be to head north up to Belfast and maybe take the ferry to Cairnryan and explore Scotland. That area is stunning and your only about a 2 hour slow ride to the Highlands which will knock your socks off.

If your considering on heading over to the UK I would probably say aim for Wales or Scotland. there isn't much to see or do in the Midlands near Iom. it doesn't get interesting until your around London or in the lakes district.

0 Not allowed!

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

We did scotland a few years ago. Wish we had rented a bike. Cut across the Highlands and then up to Ullapool via A835. One of the most beautiful drives i have ever done and wish it had been on 2 wheels.

0 Not allowed!
    "Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

it really is stunning up there. if it wasn't for all the speed cameras it would be one of the best rides in the world I think.

0 Not allowed!