Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Prius V = Prius wagon. Has a CVT but they don’t seem to be a problem. Never heard of them until a friend bought one. Took the badges off the rear deck.
    Not a conventional CVT

For those who want to geek out on Toyota Hybrid CVTs...

Also, check out the other videos there for detailed explanations of everything hybrid for several different types of vehicles. Snoozefest if you don't care, but highly educational for those who want to learn about them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-13-21 at 03:57 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Isn't the Rav4 Prime Toyota's 2nd fastest vehicle (0-60) only behind the Supra? I'd take a hard look at that for the performance/economy.
    It is definitely in the top 5 US sold models ever, and probably #2 or 3 in the current lineup, yes.

Also a little out of the budget is the new Sienna Hybrid. Definitely big enough, and rated for 36mpg.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 07-13-21 at 04:09 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

Also, check out the other videos there for detailed explanations of everything hybrid for several different types of vehicles. Snoozefest if you don't care, but highly educational for those who want to learn about them.
    While I've never owned a CVT, I haven't been a fan due to reliability reasons (and also drivability) but now I'm gonna have to watch these videos!
    I've been tasked to help my mom and sister find new vehicles similar to the OP so this may swing some decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    While I've never owned a CVT, I haven't been a fan due to reliability reasons (and also drivability) but now I'm gonna have to watch these videos!
    I've been tasked to help my mom and sister find new vehicles similar to the OP so this may swing some decisions.
    They took a lot of the dark magic out of the cars for me and gave me a better feel for how they work.

Hybrids are amazing in urban areas. I lose my mind when I'm in my truck and just slurp down fuel stuck in traffic when the hybrid would just be humming along and doing its thing.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

Added a few more hybrids to my list to look into...just clicked on the hybrid category in edmunds to see what was out there and what caught my eye...as far as sedans go I think the Camry hybrid is at the top right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Point37; 07-13-21 at 06:07 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I honestly can't tell when I'm driving a CVT vs a regular automatic these days. And I'm in and out of a bunch of cars every day.

@Point37 Hybrid Avalons are getting 40mpg+ but might be on the long side of your garage requirements.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Hybrids are amazing in urban areas. I lose my mind when I'm in my truck and just slurp down fuel stuck in traffic when the hybrid would just be humming along and doing its thing.
    When renting, I take a hybrid every chance I get. I averaged 50mpg in the Hyundai Ioniq I had in NJ recently and I never turned it off bc it was humid and I wanted the car like an ice box . If I didn't commute by bicycle/motorcycle I would replace my cheapo Mustang with a hybrid.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 07-13-21 at 07:12 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'm tempted to recommend the VW Alltrack, we're pretty happy with ours, but 1. they stopped making them in 2020 and 2. they are not much larger than the base Golf. Getting a baby seat in is a chore unto itself, nevermind adding 2 60+lb dogs into the mix. It is decently spacious in the trunk though, and somewhat fun to drive.

The Buick Regal TourX looks great for a wagon, I've wanted one since they announced it. Much larger than an Alltrack, and more powerful. If you can find one you should definitely try it out.
    We have the same taste. My wife's car is an Alltrack SEL with Marrakesh brown interior and manual transmission. Stage 1 APR.Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research-img_2613-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR/Interceptor, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I honestly can't tell when I'm driving a CVT vs a regular automatic these days. And I'm in and out of a bunch of cars every day.

@Point37 Hybrid Avalons are getting 40mpg+ but might be on the long side of your garage requirements.
    The Avalonís are nice...but much more expensive than I want...having 2 car payments hit at the same time is not ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    nice...but a little too small for my needs
    No dog in the fight but has more interior room than most of the sedans you listed: about the same as a Gen 3 Outback wagon and double a Mazda 6 behind the rear seat, for example. And the rear seats are on a track and fold down.

May be hard to find, prices are much higher then when we bought last Fall. Phenomenal for city and commuting.

Not a conventional CVT

Very robust: many cars over 200,000 and one owner on FB has 502,000 miles. Engines seem to last 125-250,000 before needing head gasket or more.

Every single manufacturer had class action lawsuits against their first generation CVT’s. Now, with a few exceptions they seem to be holding OK.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-14-21 at 06:29 AM.
    ďIf at first you donít succeed - donít become a Paratrooper.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    We have the same taste. My wife's car is an Alltrack SEL with Marrakesh brown interior and manual transmission. Stage 1 APR.Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research-img_2613-jpg
    Unicorn! I really love the Great Falls Green and Marrakesh interior combo, nice choice.

How do you like the stage 1? I was thinking about doing that myself. We have an SE with DSG (our 6MT GTI is our go-cart) that definitely needs more grunt.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Everybody to the limit!

Added a few more hybrids to my list to look into...just clicked on the hybrid category in edmunds to see what was out there and what caught my eye...as far as sedans go I think the Camry hybrid is at the top right now

Take a look at the Honda Clarity if you're considering the Camry hybrid. We got my wife's brand new for just about 20k after the tax credit, and it's been great. It's a plugin and gets about 40 miles on electric only so we've probably put less than 5 (8 gallon) tanks of gas in it in the two years we've owned. Nice and quiet when it's in electric mode too and a nice interior. The exterior styling is a bit weird, but if you can get past that it's a great car and they sit on the dealer lots so good deals to be had.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Unicorn! I really love the Great Falls Green and Marrakesh interior combo, nice choice.

How do you like the stage 1? I was thinking about doing that myself. We have an SE with DSG (our 6MT GTI is our go-cart) that definitely needs more grunt.
    The APR stage 1 was a terrific upgrade - love it! My wife came from a 2012 GTI which was lighter, more powerful and had much shorter gearing than the 6 speed manual in the Alltrack. The DSG is slightly shorter geared than the manual, I think. For us it made the car much better. Wellesley VW did the upgrade and the one that convinced that I don't need the APR+ as they never saw any issues with this re-flash. My other car is a 2009 335xi with manual. It is closer to our old GTI in character, though handles better. We got the Alltrack as I knew it would be the last year and our plan was to get a manual GTI whenever we will need to change my car (hope not for the next 4 years as I pay for my daughter's private college!)

Sorry OP about the digression. Have always loved VW wagons. We had a 2008 Passat wagon with three kids and it was both fun to drive, roomy and more reliable than I thought is would be.

No dog in the fight but has more interior room than most of the sedans you listed: about the same as a Gen 3 Outback wagon and double a Mazda 6 behind the rear seat, for example. And the rear seats are on a track and fold down.

May be hard to find, prices are much higher then when we bought last Fall. Phenomenal for city and commuting.

Very robust: many cars over 200,000 and one owner on FB has 502,000 miles. Engines seem to last 125-250,000 before needing head gasket or more.

Every single manufacturer had class action lawsuits against their first generation CVT’s. Now, with a few exceptions they seem to be holding OK.
    how deep is the prius v trunk?...i can't really find a good website that has detailed dimensions...cargo volume doesn't really mean anything to me without seeing it...a prius v may have may have more cargo volume than a mazda 6 but if it have to stack stuff up to the roof that doesn't help...i would like to have a deeper trunk space and hopefully some more height as well...they also look very narrow compared to a outback so i don't see how they have the same interior room...i guess i would have to see one

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    Take a look at the Honda Clarity if you're considering the Camry hybrid. We got my wife's brand new for just about 20k after the tax credit, and it's been great. It's a plugin and gets about 40 miles on electric only so we've probably put less than 5 (8 gallon) tanks of gas in it in the two years we've owned. Nice and quiet when it's in electric mode too and a nice interior. The exterior styling is a bit weird, but if you can get past that it's a great car and they sit on the dealer lots so good deals to be had.
    thanks...i don't think i want to deal with having to put a special electric service into my garage just to plug in my car all the time and have a cord on the ground all the time...i think a traditional hybrid is the closest i can see myself owning and i'm still not sold on them totally but if the price is right on a hybrid for the options i want compared to the gas equivalent then i may go that way

Lots of speculation on why they pop head gaskets, but a clogged EGR cooler is highly suspect. Highly recommend cleaning that circuit, inclusive of the tiny holes in the intake manifold if you haven't.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

To clarify, companies using push belt based CVTs had issues. Nissan still does. The Prius style planetary setups never used push belts and did not have issues.

Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    To clarify, companies using push belt based CVTs had issues. Nissan still does. The Prius style planetary setups never used push belts and did not have issues.
    does anyone know where i can find a list of current vehicles which have planetary CVTs vs belt CVTs?...toyota seems to be the only one i know of at the moment just because of this thread

does anyone know where i can find a list of current vehicles which have planetary CVTs vs belt CVTs?...toyota seems to be the only one i know of at the moment just because of this thread
    Ford on their early hybrids used Toyota's planetary setup as well, licensed from Toyota. Beyond that I haven't kept up.

Edit: Toyota DOES use push belts on their non-hybrids with a CVT. Looks like in 2019 the Corolla in particular got a version that uses a physical 'launch gear' to get the car going, then shifts to route power through the CVT. I'm not seeing any references to current CVTs that aren't push belts outside of hybrids.

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-27-21 at 02:36 PM.
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Ford on their early hybrids used Toyota's planetary setup as well, licensed from Toyota. Beyond that I haven't kept up.
    i wonder if that is what will be in the maverick...the gas mileage doesn't sound bad...40 mpg city, 33 mpg highway and 37 mpg combined...better than i'm getting in my legacy right now...curious as to what the awd version will get

i wonder if that is what will be in the maverick...the gas mileage doesn't sound bad...40 mpg city, 33 mpg highway and 37 mpg combined...better than i'm getting in my legacy right now...curious as to what the awd version will get
    Quick reading says the Maverick gets a tweaked Escape drivetrain in Hybrid trim, so still a planetary / Toyota style setup.

I'm seeing a ton more 5-door wagons from more luxury brands lately.
    Saw an Audi yesterday, I think it was an A4 allroad. Although maybe it was an A6 allroad. Whatever it was, it was dead sexy.
    Also seeing a lot more Volvo V60 wagons than I am used to seeing. Another nice looking automobile.

Are wagons cool again? I'm mostly seeing these with the "money isn't really an object" crowd. Same crowd is peppered with Teslas and $100k BMW M SUVs.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Saw an Audi yesterday, I think it was an A4 allroad. Although maybe it was an A6 allroad. Whatever it was, it was dead sexy.
    Also seeing a lot more Volvo V60 wagons than I am used to seeing. Another nice looking automobile.

Are wagons cool again? I'm mostly seeing these with the "money isn't really an object" crowd. Same crowd is peppered with Teslas and $100k BMW M SUVs.
    I am pretty sure the Allroads are the least reliable of all the Audis, which is saying something..!

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Meanwhile VW drops all their wagons and turns hard into the Crossover market. A real shame. Should have bought mine out of the lease.
    Trying to rationalize a 2022 Golf R (or an ID.4), but I won't do it, just doesn't make sense. They're encroaching on down-payment territory.

I was in the UK a couple weeks ago and they have an ID.3 instead of an ID.4. Its just the perfect little electric vehicle. But I was really jonesing for an Up Exclamation Point.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 07-28-21 at 08:13 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Unfortunately, no. Still a very small percent of sales - hence Volvo dropping the V90 wagon in the US. Gone are the days of the excellent Passat wagon. I remember buying a new one, with sunroof/leather, manual transmission in 2002. We had it for 10.5 years until it was totaled. Terrific car with amazing rear seat and trunk space for the size of the car (184.6" long). Unstoppable in the snow with Blizzaks. Now, my wife has a Golf Alltrack. It is a nice wagon, but smaller and actually a less less engaging to drive. The engine is better, but the steering is electric and not as good as before. I wish we had more wagons. They are very usable and drive like regular cars. Not everyone likes SUV's and the way to drive. I am intrigues by the X3 as a good medium size and relatively speaking fun to drive SUV.

yea the only wagons i see are from luxury/high end car companies which cost more than i would like to pay and i don't really trust reliability-wise to go over 200k miles without many issues

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast