Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Doesn't fully offset the purchase premium though. I think for my use case, its just not the answer, today. That being said, very easy to imagine my electric cost, gas price, or commute parameters changing enough to swing the balance.
    Maybe not offset fully but lessens the sting and you have something that boots.

Work could add free charging in the future. Maybe solar panels at home is something you do. Lots of things can change. Easy justification in my mind. Then again, I paid way more for a diesel truck because I wanted one. A gas version would have handled my needs just fine, but they don't make me giddy when I pour the fuel to them

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Then again, I paid way more for a diesel truck because I wanted one. A gas version would have handled my needs just fine, but they don't make me giddy when I pour the fuel to them
    Lets be real here, I'm just trying to sneak a 5.5 second 0-60 sleeper under my wife's nose.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lets be real here, I'm just trying to sneak a 5.5 second 0-60 sleeper under my wife's nose.
    Which is why I'm throwing out a bunch of different what ifs to help move the needle in that direction. It sounds like it won't work from a purely financial perspective, but if you can create enough rationale to close the gap....

Does NH have rebates on plug ins? MA straight up offers cash on them.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

So, you've got a significant performance gain for that upcharge, kinda like going with a different engine option.

Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Solar won't reduce the cost of electricity for at least a decade for most of us. For me the payoff is like 17 years.. only then do I start to get any "free" power.

Buy solar & EVs, not to save a buck, but because within your kids' lifetime there will be mass migrations, huge civil and economic unrest as parts of our world become effectively uninhabitable to humans.

Running the fuel cost numbers on a RAV4 Prime. EPA stated 36 kWh/100 miles on battery-only mode. My electric cost is $0.18672/kWh (Eversource NH). This equates to $6.72 per 100mi on battery only. At $3/gallon of gasoline, this is the cost equivalent of 44.6 mpg. However, Car and Driver's observed battery-only range on the RAV4 Prime was only 32mi, vs the 42mi state by Toyota/EPA (32/42 = 76%). If I apply this 76% factor to the 44.6 mpg figure, that gets me 34 mpg. The EPA claims 38 mpg for the RAV4 Hybrid, Car and Driver observed 37 mpg. So it would seem that I am better off going with the regular Hybrid, even when assuming 100% battery-only operation of the RAV4 Prime. Hoping someone can poke a hole in my math so I can justify buying the 300hp rocket.
    here is my 2015 Chevy Volt that has an Ev range of 42 miles. https://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet...jhawley/360154

Over the course of three years i pretty much nailed the eMPG number of like 80 something.
    Do you have access to charging at your job, and how far is that commute? im my case I worked at the car dealer and had a 42 mile commute total and was able to charge at work, and then when I got home I plugged into my 110V outlet and recharged it fully every night. that was for the first 2.5 years of that lease. Also during this my wife started driving it with her 50 mile total commute and after they got charging at work, it was a game changer as it turned into a "free fueled" car for us, (at the time she was driving an lexus NX300h hybrid which got great mpg for a suv)

Towards the last six months of it were the miles and mpg takes a nosedive. I had a 72 mile commute, and i would be able to recharge at work, but i would run out of ev juice about 80% of the way to my destination and had to burn fuel for the last few miles to make it to work and home.

Also if its any consolation looking at the numbers ive spent almost the same in fuel to drive my ridgeline 8500 miles than i did to drive the volt for 3 years and 45,000 miles.
    Even more damming the volt was cheaper in fuel for the entire year vs riding my VFR1200 over the summer.
    I honestly wish there were more plug in hybrids, as they are the best of both worlds

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 08-15-21 at 11:21 AM.

For me, 54 mile round-trip commute with no charging at work. I dont see any PHEV options that will comfortably make it the whole way on battery-only. Honda Clarity maybe in the summer months, but I've heard bad things about its behavior in hybrid mode.

Mustang Mach E would be badass. Not totally unreasonable price after the tax credit too.

these 2 are at the top of my list at the moment...i really want to compare the trunk depth/width of a rav4 hybrid to a camry hybrid...luckily we just got a rav4 hybrid as a company car so i plan to take that for a spin next time i have to go somewhere for work...this is saying rav4 has the cargo capacity over the camry and the camry has the passenger space, fuel efficiency and lower price over the rav4...guess it will depend on trim to get leather and any other options i want...i could go either way at this point

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...os-cons-review

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I was going to crack wise about getting free Estrogen shots with RAV4 purchase, but that no longer seems to be the case.

https://www.truecar.com/blog/truecar...registrations/

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I was going to crack wise about getting free Estrogen shots with RAV4 purchase, but that no longer seems to be the case.
    Bold, considering your Subaru's and Prius

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

https://www.truecar.com/blog/truecar...registrations/
    I ride this around town with 3/4 helmet...a town where I’ve lived all my life...I give 0 fvcks...lol

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research-img_0276-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like this thread is going to go dormant for a while (hopefully)...maybe by that time there will be an awd hybrid wagon/truck out from a non high-end car brand that is reliable...going to run my legacy until the wheels falls off...~193k miles currently...consuming some oil and bluetooth cutting out sometimes...other than that it's ok...just got the brakes done...tires are ok...just did a regular oil/filter change...drive belt and a/c compressor belt are original (1 is a little squeaky when i start the car)...i just ordered some new spark plugs cause i've never changed them out...any other preventative maintenance i should be aware of?...not sure i want to put too much money into the car but if it's something i can do it myself with some youtube help that is a plus (i'm somewhat handy but by no means a mechanic)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MVNSGQ...roduct_details

Last edited by Point37; 10-04-21 at 10:54 AM.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

those legacy wagons go until the wheels rust out or the engine pukes. you should at least know where the oil is going. when you have the plugs out, pull the fuel pump fuse and do a compression check on each cylinder. low compression is fine for high miles, but if 2 neighboring cylinders are low, suspect the head gasket and move onto a leak down test. also check rusty pipes now before they fall off mid January in the dark. also also, check the CCA of the battery, autozone can do it free.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    those legacy wagons go until the wheels rust out or the engine pukes. you should at least know where the oil is going. when you have the plugs out, pull the fuel pump fuse and do a compression check on each cylinder. low compression is fine for high miles, but if 2 neighboring cylinders are low, suspect the head gasket and move onto a leak down test. also check rusty pipes now before they fall off mid January in the dark. also also, check the CCA of the battery, autozone can do it free.
    thanks...it isn't a wagon it's a '13 sedan...they had a class action suit about the oil consumption in these cars...piston rings typically were the issue i think which would be expensive...i don't see any leaks and i don't smell it burning oil...usually have to add a quart every 1k miles...i just had the exhaust fixed not long ago (post below)...i believe there is a small leak at the gasket/joint in front of the car but it's not too bad yet...i should probably just buy one of those topdon battery testers so i have it for future use...it would be a helpful tool along with my obd2 code reader to check things out on our cars...my car battery is from dec 2017

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ml#post1600910

Last edited by Point37; 10-04-21 at 01:44 PM.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

that's too much oil going out. its $25 for a compression tester
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084DCGLSM
    do the compression tests, and if you have low compression from leaking rings you are a good candidate to try some of this oil additive:

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    that's too much oil going out. its $25 for a compression tester
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084DCGLSM
    do the compression tests, and if you have low compression from leaking rings you are a good candidate to try some of this oil additive:

thanks for the info...i'll have to look into doing the testing...if i can save a little money on oil that would be a plus...right now it's almost pointless for me to do an oil change as over 7500 miles between changes i'm probably adding 4-6 quarts...could just change the filter and just never change the oil again lol

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks for the info...i'll have to look into doing the testing...if i can save a little money on oil that would be a plus...right now it's almost pointless for me to do an oil change as over 7500 miles between changes i'm probably adding 4-6 quarts...could just change the filter and just never change the oil again lol
    Does it burn as much with something like a 0W-40? Considering Subies history and your mileage a 0W-40 wouldn't hurt anything. I'd be trying 0W-40 if it were my car.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I believe advance auto has compression testers as part of their tool rental program. You essentually buy the tool but can return it whenever. (you put full money down as deposit for the rental". If you don't want to buy it's an option. I currently have a $260 coolant test kit that I've been using from them for the third time to help find leaks in system.

As far as the other point, I did that for a few years in my Volvo. Oil seeped past cam gear seals in the head. Didn't feel like fixing it for a while as engine was going to be swapped anyway. Honestly I don't even think I did filter but there was quite a bit of residue left behind when I pulled engine out.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Does it burn as much with something like a 0W-40? Considering Subies history and your mileage a 0W-40 wouldn't hurt anything. I'd be trying 0W-40 if it were my car.
    thanks...never tried...running 0w-20...could try bumping to 0w-30 and see how it goes and then try 0w-40

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I believe advance auto has compression testers as part of their tool rental program. You essentually buy the tool but can return it whenever. (you put full money down as deposit for the rental". If you don't want to buy it's an option. I currently have a $260 coolant test kit that I've been using from them for the third time to help find leaks in system.

As far as the other point, I did that for a few years in my Volvo. Oil seeped past cam gear seals in the head. Didn't feel like fixing it for a while as engine was going to be swapped anyway. Honestly I don't even think I did filter but there was quite a bit of residue left behind when I pulled engine out.
    thanks...i've been running it like this for a while now...i figure i'm just paying a little more for oil but it still runs fine...i will probably look into the tester rental though

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    I don't even think I did filter
    That will work until the filter rusts through from the outside and starts leaking...........................or so I have been told.

Might have had a really high mileage Subaru that I really didn't care if it kept running or not for a while. Filters got changed when they started leaking. Oil added when the oil light flickered at me. All other vehicles are taken care of on schedule, that car owed me nothing and if the engine had blown up it wouldn't have changed anything for me.

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research-img_7204-jpg
    Battery seems ok

Want...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...t-photos-info/

well over the long weekend i ended up replacing the 4 spark plugs and the serpentine belt in my legacy with the help of youtube...tight squeeze for the spark plugs on the side of the engine...the belt was also a pain...holding the tensioner and trying to stretch the belt onto the last pulley wheel with one hand wasn't easy...

today i was driving to work and about 25 miles into my drive my low tire pressure light started to flash and then went solid on so i pulled into a rest area and took a look at my tires...all 4 tires looked fine by the naked eye...plus 25 miles into my commute the air should have expanded to increase the pressure so i have a feeling one of the batteries in the tire pressure sensors is dying...i will be working from home tomorrow so i'm going to check the pressures in the morning before driving the car...i had recently just aired them up a couple weeks ago so i think its a sensor battery...i think you can buy a tool to find the bad sensor and i think you need to buy another tool to reprogram the sensor to the car?...

maybe i can have town fair tire take care of it since i buy my tires there instead of buying more tools...
    https://www.townfairtire.com/informa...em/index.shtml

Last edited by Point37; 10-12-21 at 08:57 AM.

My sister's Volvo wagon/crossover thing just had a complete engine failure from oil consumption. No oil light came on and they ran it dry. They learned that it's a known problem, but had no warning. Sold it to dealer for a thousand bucks and moved on. Ouch.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

well over the long weekend i ended up replacing the 4 spark plugs and the serpentine belt in my legacy with the help of youtube...tight squeeze for the spark plugs on the side of the engine...the belt was also a pain...holding the tensioner and trying to stretch the belt onto the last pulley wheel with one hand wasn't easy...

today i was driving to work and about 25 miles into my drive my low tire pressure light started to flash and then went solid on so i pulled into a rest area and took a look at my tires...all 4 tires looked fine by the naked eye...plus 25 miles into my commute the air should have expanded to increase the pressure so i have a feeling one of the batteries in the tire pressure sensors is dying...i will be working from home tomorrow so i'm going to check the pressures in the morning before driving the car...i had recently just aired them up a couple weeks ago so i think its a sensor battery...i think you can buy a tool to find the bad sensor and i think you need to buy another tool to reprogram the sensor to the car?...

maybe i can have town fair tire take care of it since i buy my tires there instead of buying more tools...
    https://www.townfairtire.com/informa...em/index.shtml
    Check the pressure in the spare. Not sure on your vehicle but if you have a full size spare it likely has it's on TPMS in it too

Yes typically you need a programmer tool. Easier to just go to any tire shop or friend with a shop who has the tool than buy your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    My sister's Volvo wagon/crossover thing just had a complete engine failure from oil consumption. No oil light came on and they ran it dry. They learned that it's a known problem, but had no warning. Sold it to dealer for a thousand bucks and moved on. Ouch.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Pretty strange. What model Volvo?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast