Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 116 of 116

Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

  1. #101
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,899

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research


    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Check the pressure in the spare. Not sure on your vehicle but if you have a full size spare it likely has it's on TPMS in it too

    Yes typically you need a programmer tool. Easier to just go to any tire shop or friend with a shop who has the tool than buy your own.



    Pretty strange. What model Volvo?
    Not sure. Their crossover.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  2. #102
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    My sister's Volvo wagon/crossover thing just had a complete engine failure from oil consumption. No oil light came on and they ran it dry. They learned that it's a known problem, but had no warning. Sold it to dealer for a thousand bucks and moved on. Ouch.

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    this is a known issue with my car as well...i just run it till the light comes on then dump a quart in...i think i researched that when the light comes on it means it's a quart low for this engine...takes just over 5 quarts for an oil change so i just put a 5 quart jug in during oil changes and a bunch of single quarts in my trunk for when the time comes...pretty aggravating to have to take up part of my trunk with 5 bottles of oil

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  3. #103
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Check the pressure in the spare. Not sure on your vehicle but if you have a full size spare it likely has it's on TPMS in it too

    Yes typically you need a programmer tool. Easier to just go to any tire shop or friend with a shop who has the tool than buy your own.
    thanks!...good point...it's a donut though...so probably doesn't?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 10-12-21 at 10:38 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  4. #104
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,708

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    well over the long weekend i ended up replacing the 4 spark plugs and the serpentine belt in my legacy with the help of youtube...tight squeeze for the spark plugs on the side of the engine...the belt was also a pain...holding the tensioner and trying to stretch the belt onto the last pulley wheel with one hand wasn't easy...

    today i was driving to work and about 25 miles into my drive my low tire pressure light started to flash and then went solid on so i pulled into a rest area and took a look at my tires...all 4 tires looked fine by the naked eye...plus 25 miles into my commute the air should have expanded to increase the pressure so i have a feeling one of the batteries in the tire pressure sensors is dying...i will be working from home tomorrow so i'm going to check the pressures in the morning before driving the car...i had recently just aired them up a couple weeks ago so i think its a sensor battery...i think you can buy a tool to find the bad sensor and i think you need to buy another tool to reprogram the sensor to the car?...

    maybe i can have town fair tire take care of it since i buy my tires there instead of buying more tools...
    https://www.townfairtire.com/informa...em/index.shtml

    I "fixed" mine with some electrical tape. Screw spending that kind of money to replace a sensor when I can just, you know, actually check the fucking tire pressures every now and then.

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  5. #105
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I "fixed" mine with some electrical tape. Screw spending that kind of money to replace a sensor when I can just, you know, actually check the fucking tire pressures every now and then.
    yea i probably won't have it fixed until i need new tires...my older cars never had sensors on them...wonder if it will trigger a car inspection fail though?...not worth it to me unless town fair tire will do it cheap since i buy my tires there...i know they do free flat repair if you buy tires there...i will have to call and ask

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 10-12-21 at 10:41 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  6. #106
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,708

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yea i probably won't have it fixed until i need new tires...my older cars never had sensors on them...wonder if it will trigger a car inspection fail though?...not worth it to me unless town fair tire will do it cheap since i buy my tires there...i know they do free flat repair if you buy tires there...i will have to call and ask
    TPMS is not an inspectable item in MA.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  7. #107

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yea i probably won't have it fixed until i need new tires...my older cars never had sensors on them...wonder if it will trigger a car inspection fail though?...not worth it to me unless town fair tire will do it cheap since i buy my tires there...i know they do free flat repair if you buy tires there...i will have to call and ask
    Not sure on MA, but in NY TPMS is not part of inspections and we are pretty strict overall.

    Sensors are about $100 to replace in my experience.

    As far as your donut, I'd say it's unlikely that it has TPMS in it. Still can't hurt to have it upto pressure though..

    When in doubt also over pressure all your tires. Not sure when your TPMS triggers but if you think it's 32 or so, just go 38 on all the tires and drive around. This is coming from personal experience and a very frustrated mechanic friend who couldn't figure out why my light wouldn't shut off but everything was in check, trained and paired. I've always had pressure at 32 and it would never be on. Now it would stay on until I filled it to 35+. No idea where trigger point is honestly.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #108
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,532

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    I'm here too. Our 2010 Corolla has the TPMS light on. I've deduced it is sensors or sensor batteries failing. I have been told that ~10 years is about all you can ask out of the sensors.

    I haven't been through the inspection process yet. But I sure hope it isn't part of the test as I don't care to replace them. I have already learned to ignore the light.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    My sister's Volvo wagon/crossover thing just had a complete engine failure from oil consumption. No oil light came on and they ran it dry. They learned that it's a known problem, but had no warning. Sold it to dealer for a thousand bucks and moved on. Ouch.
    Well now, that's quite stunning. This a late model car? Ouch seems like an understatement.

    Shame as I've seen a couple newer Volvo's in the wild lately and felt my head turning. From the website I think it was the V60. And now I'm reading the V90 is rated to tow 5k!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #109
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    TPMS is not an inspectable item in MA.
    good to know...def not too worried then...thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Not sure on MA, but in NY TPMS is not part of inspections and we are pretty strict overall.

    Sensors are about $100 to replace in my experience.

    As far as your donut, I'd say it's unlikely that it has TPMS in it. Still can't hurt to have it upto pressure though..

    When in doubt also over pressure all your tires. Not sure when your TPMS triggers but if you think it's 32 or so, just go 38 on all the tires and drive around. This is coming from personal experience and a very frustrated mechanic friend who couldn't figure out why my light wouldn't shut off but everything was in check, trained and paired. I've always had pressure at 32 and it would never be on. Now it would stay on until I filled it to 35+. No idea where trigger point is honestly.
    thanks...def not going to have them changed then...depends how much it costs along with my next set of tires...i typically overinflate tires just due to the sensors...i think my door sticker states 32psi i usually go to 35psi

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm here too. Our 2010 Corolla has the TPMS light on. I've deduced it is sensors or sensor batteries failing. I have been told that ~10 years is about all you can ask out of the sensors.

    I haven't been through the inspection process yet. But I sure hope it isn't part of the test as I don't care to replace them. I have already learned to ignore the light.
    i think my sensors are original from 2013 so i'm a little under 10 years but i do have 194k miles on it so a little electrical tape will do the trick after i verify all tire pressures and drive it a little more...if it stays solid i'll tape the light up

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  10. #110
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,899

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I

    Well now, that's quite stunning. This a late model car? Ouch seems like an understatement.

    Shame as I've seen a couple newer Volvo's in the wild lately and felt my head turning. From the website I think it was the V60. And now I'm reading the V90 is rated to tow 5k!
    I think it was the XC60 from looking at a few pics online. Late model. maybe a 2015 or so.

    This brings up the question, with 5k (or higher) oil change intervals on newer cars, how many of you ever check oil level between changes? I know I don't. My van goes closer to 10k. (it tells me when based on how I drive, etc.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  11. #111

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think it was the XC60 from looking at a few pics online. Late model. maybe a 2015 or so.

    This brings up the question, with 5k (or higher) oil change intervals on newer cars, how many of you ever check oil level between changes? I know I don't. My van goes closer to 10k. (it tells me when based on how I drive, etc.
    Very few nowadays

    • Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and some Ford, Cadillac, Lincoln, Chevrolet, Chrysler, and Mazda models, plus others, have eliminated the dipsticks from their vehicles and other manufacturers are going in the same direction with the oil dipstick.

    It's either the sensor works properly or you will never know at all

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #112
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,708

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think it was the XC60 from looking at a few pics online. Late model. maybe a 2015 or so.

    This brings up the question, with 5k (or higher) oil change intervals on newer cars, how many of you ever check oil level between changes? I know I don't. My van goes closer to 10k. (it tells me when based on how I drive, etc.
    I check it once a week or so in my car, rarely in my truck and daily in the equipment they let me run around in.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  13. #113
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think it was the XC60 from looking at a few pics online. Late model. maybe a 2015 or so.

    This brings up the question, with 5k (or higher) oil change intervals on newer cars, how many of you ever check oil level between changes? I know I don't. My van goes closer to 10k. (it tells me when based on how I drive, etc.
    my 05 mazda 6 i never checked the oil...but it didn't guzzle oil either...this 13 subaru legacy i also never check it...i do 7500 mile oil/filter change intervals...i just wait till it tells me it's thirsty and dump a quart in...for my next car i'm basically looking for a hybrid outback which doesn't seem to exist...that subaru levorg sti is pretty sweet but i'm sure the gas mileage would push me the other direction...probably runs a cvt as well

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 10-12-21 at 11:50 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  14. #114
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    checked air pressure and was between 34-35psi on all 4 tires...didn't bother with the donut as i didn't feel like emptying my trunk to get to it...every time i start the car the tire pressure light flashes and then goes solid...must be the sensor batteries...going to do the electrical tape "fix" for now

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  15. #115
    (4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Chelmsford, MA
    Posts
    478

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    checked air pressure and was between 34-35psi on all 4 tires...didn't bother with the donut as i didn't feel like emptying my trunk to get to it...every time i start the car the tire pressure light flashes and then goes solid...must be the sensor batteries...going to do the electrical tape "fix" for now
    likely 1 of 5 sensor battery is dead. a tpms scan tool can tell you for sure.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #116
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,506

    Re: Wagon/Crossover/4 Door Sedan - Shopping/Research

    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    likely 1 of 5 sensor battery is dead. a tpms scan tool can tell you for sure.
    thanks...i'll probably wait till i need new tires to even think of addressing it

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •